Request for more than 32 buttons (Virpil throttle)

Just to let you know, the latest Virpil firmware [20200925] removes the virtualization functionality and you cannot split your throttle anymore into two "Windows" devices
Virtualization was causing a lot of problems if you had a lot of keys mapped. You could experience some keys stop working in certain circumstances (e.g. specific throttle position)
I have a ticket open for months, but even from them the feedback was: "It works just fine in other games, that can facilitate up to 128 buttons" and of course they suggested vJoy and Gremlin solution

Personally, I hate the fact that the developer of my favorite game is not addressing the issue with a 32 button limit. I am not sure how big of a problem it could be, but even this post started 2 years ago. This is the best game to enjoy full space "immmmmmeeerrsssssion" and yet, all we have is 32 buttons per device. Some of us spend more than we should on fancy controllers and then we have to use third-party software to be able to enjoy it...

Well, I did not see any ticket in the issue tracker related to it, so guess what I am gonna do? ;)

Hi mikaz,
I’ve just taken delivery of my Virpil throttle, & am experiencing exactly the same binding issue.
Very annoying!
“ I’ve got the Virpil CM2 as it’s buttons are seen in all games I have except Elite if I use VJoy plus joystick gremlin for elite I’m not able to just stop using vJoy or use it only for elite that’s my only complaint with using it “

I always struggled with vjoy - I found it an over-complicated solution. What I discovered instead was an app called "ControlMyJoystick" and it's proven to be excellent. Although originally designed to help support 3DConnexion 6DOF controllers, it has also solved the 32-button problem for me, doing for my Saitek x65 what the Virpil software does for their sticks. It might also help with the Virpil sticks running their newer software?

“ controll my joystick is a nice app I’ve tried but I also use voice attack CMJ has a voice app and conflicting with my VA

Are there any news about the 32 button limit?

My Virpil throttle finally arrived and all I wanted is to have a nice time with it but it seems like I still have a lot of work to do before I can enjoy it.

Horizons alone, with all the new keybindings, should have been reason enough to raise the button limit. They want to create an advanced game but use outdated technology, that does not make sense.

Last edited:
It's been years. I don't think Fdev intends to fix this. I use one R/H VKB MCG, and a VKB Gladiator with a L/H SCG stick, along side a Streamdeck XL. Elite Dangit sees 3 devices so I have no issue. I also have a Virpil throttle that I wish to replace the Gladiator with, but have been unable to get it to work reliably with the work arounds. Losing my binds every other time I try to play the game because something or another in the cobbled together work arounds didn't work as expected is a PITA.

Just chiming in to bump this thread about the 32 button limit. Seems like a pretty pointless limit for a game with new content coming in 2021, when the latest versions of DirectX don't have this restriction.

I figured I'd be fine with the vJoy/Gremlin work around but it sounds like that's failing. Such work-arounds shouldn't be necessary for a modern flight sim. So, maybe be a modern flight sim? Some of us wanna use peripherals with a bit more "oomph" than an Xbox controller or a Thrustmaster T16000m. ;)

I just ran into this.
I bought X4 a few days ago, and it has the same 32 button limit on my Virpil throttle, but didn't support the split virtual device feature. So I tried updating the Virpil software and firmware, but that removes the virtual feature and now Elite Dangerous can't use half of my throttle either. :(

There's really no excuse for this. Support for DirectInput devices with 24 axes, 8 sliders, 4 povs and 128 buttons has been present since at least DirectX 5 in 1997, requiring basically no more effort than the 32 button version. Even my own C++ input library from 2005 easily handles every button on the Virpil T-50CM2 without workarounds.

I guess I'm going to have to go the joystick gremlin / vjoy path. :(

Losing my binds every other time I try to play the game because something or another in the cobbled together work arounds didn't work as expected is a PITA.
That drove me crazy too. That sudden panic moment when I log in to my mining Anaconda out in a ring, pirates immediately spawn in and I realise all of my controls are messed up because the order of the virtual throttle devices was changed. I ended up writing a script that rearranges the order of bindings in the ED config so when it happens I don't have to redo everything from scratch.

I am using outdated virpil software version which still has the split option available.

Also wanted to ask if that issue will be fixed anytime soon during the weekly AMA session but missed the last to due to work.

Apparently Virpil are working on a new virtual device system, but as of nov 20 it was in an "early stage of development".

Apparently Virpil are working on a new virtual device system, but as of nov 20 it was in an "early stage of development".
One could hope, but it's probably not that much of priority for them. Given that most flight sims made in the last 10 years don't have the 32 key limit issue in the first place.

I'd like to bump this issue. It is super disappointing issue to run into when you just received your new Virpil Throttle and want to use it with one of your favorite games.

Dev's please, please fix this so we can use devices with more than 32 buttons.

I've been using Joystick Gremlin and vJoy for a couple years now to get around the 32 button limitation for my Virpil throttle. I've recently been having tons of issues with vJoy and it looks like vJoy is no longer actively supported. Its a shame I have to rely on 3rd party software just to use a throttle.

Please address this. I hate having to put away my virpil throttle every time I play elite dangerous only to pull it back out for every other flight Sim I play.

Broke down and tried the Virpil beta firmware and software from Lengard's post (#52), I was unable to get it to work on the any of the 3 systems that have EliteD installed on them with the CM3 throttle. I had to open up the throttle and do a hard reset every time I saved the profile to the throttle with "enable keyboard mapping" checked. That option also appears on the current version of Virpil's progamming software. Same result using the newest software and firmware with "enable keyboard mapping". YMMV.

I think I am done for a while with this issue. Maybe Fdev will get their act together. It's been 20 years since this was a Windows issue. DX8/9 in the Win9x/Xp era had 128 key support. Maybe they will fix it with Odyssey. LOL.

Unfortunately there won't be a fix for that. At least there is currently none planned.

Contacted the support directly and got the answer that to the knowledge of the support there are no plans to alter this in the near future.

Let's hope Virpil will fi it somehow on their own for their products.

Would be nice to find a decent HOTAS like the Warthog that doesn't cost as much as your PC did.

This Virpil is horrendously expensive.

Top Bottom