So you want to know about the Formidine Rift? (Part 3)

I have some questions and comments :
1. Why does this mystery is not merged with the whole cannon discussion?

2. Based on quick reading of the clues from the 1st page, isn't this mystery supposed to be solvable on the prerelease version of the game? In other sentence, additional in game 'features' that has been added to the game should mean nothing and worthless in solving this mystery.
3. Speaking of which, I still don't understand what kind of mystery all of this about, I would assume however, it involves human, I mean it's clearly something that some human get involved with, and that's something usually military related.
4. And btw, what about attempting to lure our new friendly alien neighbor to the rift? Would you get hyperdicted there? The talking probe? And other unknown objects? On a second thought this already violate my 2nd point lol so it's possibly not going to work.

1 - I think they focus on other mysteries mainly

2 - Yes, but it's kinda like being told to find a needle in a haystick, without actually knowing what either a needle, nor a haystack look like.

3 - See #2... We're all hoping these settlements help us get a clearer picture of what we're searching for.

4 - Based on the way these things go, I suspect the script is only set up to happen in the current area of interdictions, that may change, but I doubt it will be soon.

Z...

I have some questions and comments :
1. Why does this mystery is not merged with the whole cannon discussion?
The Formidine Rifters are NOT the Canonn. While there is some overlap between the Rift and the Canonn's research our goals are not entirely the same. The Canonn's aim is more focused on solving mysteries through science whereas the Rifters are more interested in connecting with the game lore. The Rift mystery specifically is a connection to the book Elite: Reclamation by Drew Wagar. For me, personally, unraveling this mystery is less about the mystery itself then it is about "finishing" Elite: Reclamation.

2. Based on quick reading of the clues from the 1st page, isn't this mystery supposed to be solvable on the prerelease version of the game? In other sentence, additional in game 'features' that has been added to the game should mean nothing and worthless in solving this mystery.
Just because something was technically solvable during the "Gamma" phase of the game doesn't mean that it is easily solvable without additional information. Drew has said on a number of occasions that we would probably need additional information to properly solve this particular mystery.

3. Speaking of which, I still don't understand what kind of mystery all of this about, I would assume however, it involves human, I mean it's clearly something that some human get involved with, and that's something usually military related.
As I indicated in my answer to your #1: This mystery is about the narrative surrounding Kahina Tijani Loren (AKA Salome) that started in the book Elite: Reclamation, continued into Galnet and is currently being incorporated into the upcoming book Elite: Premonition. This is an opportunity to interact with the fiction of the Elite galaxy.

4. And btw, what about attempting to lure our new friendly alien neighbor to the rift? Would you get hyperdicted there? The talking probe? And other unknown objects? On a second thought this already violate my 2nd point lol so it's possibly not going to work.
If you have any ideas about how to 'lure' our new Thargoid masters into the Rift I'd love to hear how that would work. Based on some of the info only now coming out of the Rift, Hawkin's Gap and the Conflux ... it is quite possible that they have already been here!

Last edited:
It's hard to know what's unusual about witch space, as they keep updating it. But someone did record one of the bigger white lights flying the wrong direction today.

OK - that's new.

I will be playing with shadowplay on from now, I suspect.

I so need to my rig here in Manila complete and running. All my real game time only happens in Sydney now, the Mac Air has been struggling too much of late, even just with exploration. The updates since 1.7 have slowly made it slower and slower, it now takes 30 seconds to open the galaxy map, and I often have time to make a cup of tea before the station services screen appears after docking. Kinda a shame, there was a time I could almost fly in a res site on the mac air with all lowest settings.

Z...

Ok My thoughts after lookig back at the clues we have received so far from the new finds.

1. This would have been the first hint in game of the Alien interdictions we now see happening, but because of the CTD issues in the CG we didnt get to find it before they started happening.

2. In Drew's Reclamation book the Old Lady mentions the rift and that she went beyond it and saw "something" she was essentially labelled crazy so that no one would believe her, we now have proof that something did happen out here. I have been going back over that section of the book to see if I missed anything. But I think we need to go a bit further out than where we are now.

3. Inhabitable in my own thinking means that it could sustain life, as in not too hot, not too much radiation etc, terraformables would count.

4. I think once we have the last base found in the Hawkins Gap we should have enough to narrow down where this ship or ships ended up. We know there is one supposed to be in the Gap, but perhaps this is the one that was interdicted and crash landed and the crew from the rift base are in and we need to find them or whats left of them and their ship. So maybe they never reached the Hawkins rally point but are somewhere between the rift and the gap.

Just some thoughts.

OK - that's new.

I will be playing with shadowplay on from now, I suspect.

I so need to my rig here in Manila complete and running. All my real game time only happens in Sydney now, the Mac Air has been struggling too much of late, even just with exploration. The updates since 1.7 have slowly made it slower and slower, it now takes 30 seconds to open the galaxy map, and I often have time to make a cup of tea before the station services screen appears after docking. Kinda a shame, there was a time I could almost fly in a res site on the mac air with all lowest settings.

Z...

Here you go, lights video.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/321685-Lights-in-Witchspace-Anyone-noticed-this

Furthering your story line, what do these three locations have in common? Who mounted the expeditions and why?

How bout this the powers and/or dark wheel/inra/pilots fed whoever,,, knew about the 'guardian sites' and these three areas are the destination of their exodus and all they found in the end was the living dead, the leftover ai's who are as friendly as -off killer bees. Or something like that,,whatever it is i'm calling it space zombies. Maybe the space jellies are hunting them which is why they aren't interested in us.

Just get the feeling the story lines have been tied together about the time cornflakes and hawkins first showed up shortly after drew adopted the orphanage.

I'm with Lorrad - the WHY of those missions should interest us.

CONFLUX BETA MISSION LOG 2/4: "...Someone is in a hurry."

I find this one intriguing. Someone is in a hurry
a) to get somewhere (before something happens? Before someone else gets there?)
b) to get away from something

Case a) seems to me more reasonable. Case b) would not require an expedition-type venture, pointed at a specific direction

Thoughts?

Hi there, I don't normally post here as I'm not really involving myself in the Formidine Tift mystery, however this did make me want to comment

I am currently randomly jumping around in the Pleiades, basically trying to get myself probed. It's very hard to tell if it's a genuine thing or not ( as I have base of reference, plus it's probably all psychosomatic) but the hyperspace jumps I've been making recently seem to have a lot more green clouds and groups of bright blueish tinged lights streaking by at regular intervals.

I came back to the Pleiades from the California nebula after the first hyperdiction happened, and I certainly don't remember so much green prior to reaching the Pleiades. Is anyone out at the Rift/conflict/Hawkins gap area seeing similar? It would be great if those heading to Hawkins gap could try and see if they notice any difference to their hyperspace conduits while they are heading in that direction.

I was flying one of my Alt Accounts in the Pleiades region the other day hoping (without success) to invoke one of those "hyperdictions". I did note that the the hyperspace load screen appeared different ... with more yellow/orange tint then the usual blue/greens. Hard to say though. Space madness and all. Could just be wishful thinking on my part. I need to sit down and compare some of my old video captures of hyperspace with some of the new ones.

Now I don't have the equipment for this type of recording, but why don't you (or someone here with the right equipment) do two vids, one in the respective area and one outside and post them here side by side. Should be easy to compare then?

Last edited:
So the Rift base speaks of an unexpected signal, and the Conflux one talks of lights in witchspace and dictohypers (like some of the tip off missions on the fringe of the bubble).

Now I don't have the equipment for this type of recording, but why don't you (or someone here with the right equipment) do two vids, one in the respective area and one outside and post them here side by side. Should be easy to compare then?

I'll certainly take up the task. I currently have three Commander accounts (my son just took back his account so I'm down from my usual 4).

I've got one Commander in the Rift, one on a slow course to Colonia in a sidewinder and one in the Bubble that I can send back to Maia in a couple dozen jumps. That will give me four locations to compare with each other but I won't have time to compile it until Tuesday.

Yes, but if Drew has 100% confirmed that you do not need Horizons to solve this mystery, then how could it be a clue on the planet? It's either able to be solved entirely without landing on planets, or there's a big miscommunication between him and FDev in regards to needing Horizons.

Nobody is saying the FR mystery is on a planet surface. These comms beacons and the surface assets that were causing CTD were introduced in the CG before Xmas and appear to be additional breadcrumbs to progress the storyline which may be related to FR.

Honestly I think though the Rifters and Canonn are generally separate, I think the Canonn thread has the right idea with keeping the front page updated with new discoveries. This thread may not be as verbose as that one, but stuff still gets lost. It would help to have either a Breaking News section, or if it could be kept up to date with the new discoveries, especially if those discoveries affect our understanding of the lore and makes some of the stuff on the front page redundant.

Glad it is up and running (and no signs of hostility). o7 for your patience in staying out there.
For some reason the layout reminds me of the obelisks at the ancient ruins site.
Is there anyone at the Conflux/Hawking's Gap co-ordinates? My Distant Stars -ready Asp can cover the distance quickly but my laptop's terrain generation days are over - I've been told that it is now below minimum specs - so I'd have to wait until I can get an extended session on the family desktop before landing anywhere, which is not guaranteed this weekend.

Agreed, as soon as I saw the first pic I was struck by the triangular layout of this base, unusual!

- - - Updated - - -

No Earthlikes... 2 M class stars, 1 star listed as a Red Giant, but it's the smallest of the trinary group, wierd... 1 T class brown dwarf... 2 Icy Bodies (1 landable) and 5 HMC worlds (1 non-landable). Oh and a couple of asteroid belts.

Might be worth having a good nose around those asteroid belts

Honestly I think though the Rifters and Canonn are generally separate, I think the Canonn thread has the right idea with keeping the front page updated with new discoveries. This thread may not be as verbose as that one, but stuff still gets lost. It would help to have either a Breaking News section, or if it could be kept up to date with the new discoveries, especially if those discoveries affect our understanding of the lore and makes some of the stuff on the front page redundant.

LuckyLuke has done a good job with the summary pages but ... real life happens, right? The only person who can update the front page is him. The Canonn has been blessed to have Rizal around to keep their front page current. It becomes a full time job.

http://imgur.com/a/vqfiB

How to find the formidine beta site. It occurs to me if this is beta, there's probably an alpha site to be found.

I don't believe the beta site is where the expedition ended, but was a relay post or stoping point, that would explain the lack of earthlikes.

There is a UCB in system, 11ly away near the brown dwarf sun. One jumps through hyperspace away is a G class star with a UCB in orbit.

We are looking for habitable worlds where the crews abandoned ship. If the ship they took was not landable then it could still be in orbit.

LuckyLuke has done a good job with the summary pages but ... real life happens, right? The only person who can update the front page is him. The Canonn has been blessed to have Rizal around to keep their front page current. It becomes a full time job.

Ah real life always gets in the way! Nah, he has done an amazing job on the FP, I just hope he can come back to update at some point.

Anyway, back to the Rift... Do we know the locations of any other CTDs on the other rally point planets at all?

This is very interesting, assuming all the normal lights are stars and nebulars and what not, something moving in the wrong direction could be an other ship. I will keep my eyes open for this.

If you watch the witchspace tunnel just before exit some of the "outer" layer in the tunnel seem to reverse slightly and move forward sometimes, OO's thing is just this isn't it?

Last edited:
If you watch the witchspace tunnel just before exit some of the "outer" layer in the tunnel seem to reverse slightly and move forward sometimes, OO's thing is just this isn't it?

I just thought they were magnified sky box stars! I've noticed them for a while but to me they always seem to move to match the position of background stars as I drop out so I was just Guessing it's just a fancy lensing effect FD have put in to represent space warping on your jump exit and part of the effect added for the local system stellar topography movin into place, to it feels like they added it at the same time but because we're all on alien watch more people are noticing it.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume that all the RP planets mentioned in the beacons should have a settlement?

also, has anyone noticed you get a big fat payout for the data?

I got just under 8m for Eafots

- - - Updated - - -

The Formidine Rifters are NOT the Canonn. While there is some overlap between the Rift and the Canonn's research our goals are not entirely the same. The Canonn's aim is more focused on solving mysteries through science whereas the Rifters are more interested in connecting with the game lore. The Rift mystery specifically is a connection to the book Elite: Reclamation by Drew Wagar. For me, personally, unraveling this mystery is less about the mystery itself then it is about "finishing" Elite: Reclamation.

Just because something was technically solvable during the "Gamma" phase of the game doesn't mean that it is easily solvable without additional information. Drew has said on a number of occasions that we would probably need additional information to properly solve this particular mystery.

As I indicated in my answer to your #1: This mystery is about the narrative surrounding Kahina Tijani Loren (AKA Salome) that started in the book Elite: Reclamation, continued into Galnet and is currently being incorporated into the upcoming book Elite: Premonition. This is an opportunity to interact with the fiction of the Elite galaxy.

If you have any ideas about how to 'lure' our new Thargoid masters into the Rift I'd love to hear how that would work. Based on some of the info only now coming out of the Rift, Hawkin's Gap and the Conflux ... it is quite possible that they have already been here!

Great Summary

Top Bottom