Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

question are there NPCS to fight in SC? like we saw in EDO stream today?

Oh for sure.

Although they are not hugely reliable at the moment...

Source: https://i.imgur.com/8uXIHxY.mp4

Sometimes they're killing machines. Sometimes they give walls a death stare instead.

In their favour, they don't glow cyan ;)

They don't have any of the 'excuse me sir I need to scan your colon' functionality that EDO claims to have, but in fairness we haven't seen that in action either yet.

Ok, just never watched any gameplay where there was NPCS milling around.

Oh you're expecting milling around?

God damn sir, lower your expectations!

(Yeah they kinda do that in stations. But equally often totally don't, and just form strange boot camps and conga lines instead ;))

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/kqxrl9 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/kqxrl9/gotta_love_the_npcs/

A lot of their AI nightmares seem to stem from their server woes.

(So again probably worth remembering that EDO's demo today was likely done on the local office network, not remotely on a heavily populated public server etc)

Last edited:
Didn't you quit Microsoft Flight Simulator because it was too buggy for you? I'm just trying to gauge your bug level tolerance. Most people on the ED forum who say "There are no bugs!" obviously grew up sleeping outside on the ground in Georgia USA, LOL.
Not at all, I stopped playing MSFS 2020 only because there weren't enough Messerschmitts in it :D

I've never really clicked with GA flight sims but I was intrigued to see how it all looked, like everyone else. Unfortunately my islands were one of the areas rather poorly represented in the sim which was disappointing...but not the reason I don't play ...

Yeah that would be interesting, if it’s not just vet behaviours like spotting server struggles, and walking around death traps, but actually prepping your machines too. (Particularly re RAM perhaps?)

I just look at that hill death footage and wonder: What the hell killed him? And could he have avoided it? (Is it one of those things that happen to him and not you?)

Did he die because:

• He just runs a lot, and eventually gave himself a heart attack?
  • He clipped through the terrain earlier, broke his legs, and didn’t realise because he’s in third person?
  • He asphyxiated because his helmet is toggling on and off imperceptibly?

Like, what? Which of CIG’s buggy systems did for him? 😄
He died because he was running around in 3rd person view and couldn't see his bio monitors on the HUD...so it looked like he just randomly keeled over for no reason. If the bio monitors had been visible during that extended sprinting session, you'd have seen he died of a heart attack or exhaustion...you can do that by jumping on the spot repeatedly too :)

The other space game, and its DLC, will clearly not feature PvP.

The funny part is thinking PvP is the only valid game mechanic. Even Spectrum has many comments from players that want to avoid it.
I don't do much of it these days, can't be bothered with it either in ED or SC...but it's still simple enough to avoid PvP in either game without resorting to private servers, imaginary PvP sliders or the like. As small as the SC play area is...I rarely come across other players unless I go looking for them or meet random newbies hanging around Olisar or Grim Hex. In ED, other players are an absolute rarity unless I visit one of the CG's....or Jameson Orbital. I'm at a stage now where I find player interaction solely by way of PvP nothing more than an irritation...it's like being an unpaid online babysitter for other folks unruly and ill mannered brats.

Engineering killed off any sense of proper PvP for me in ED, it went from being a pursuit of the skilled into a game of just turning up in engineered meta-build SCB barge...that's not competitive PvP, it's pew for the sake of having pew in a game....engineering (the short sighted design of it and the way it was implemented) should have been killed by fire before it spread enough to be accepted as the norm...a bit like FDev's version of multicrew.

Ship combat in SC hardly fares any better for a variety of reasons, most of it tied to server lag and desync...but at least there's no engineering of ship components...you can still 'get away with it' as a random carebear through being slightly skilled in chucking a ship about a bit. As for telling players apart from NPC's...it's just as simple as it is in ED (besides SC not having any NPC ships except for during scripted bounty hunting missions)...player names don't have spaces in them so you can tell immediately that Bert_Smith is a player whereas Bert Smith is an NPC. You can easily spot the human players on foot...they're the ones leaping around like 5 year old kids full of E numbers. NPC's don't run...when they're not T-posing, standing on chairs or grouped in lines like clones :)

Last edited:
Spectrum discussions....

I mean, this can be said of most games. But OP is rather dismissive of those complaining on the forums and tries to invalidate any negative opinions by saying they are bad apples. While i agree that on a lot of game forums the negativity is just silly and people whining, there are always some valid complaints, and on topic of course, personal opinion that is in no way invalidated just because you disagree with it. ED has its issues. GTA has its issues, and SC has issues as well.

Now, onto mining...

Someone, apparently unironically says...

two problems with that,
1) that would be contributing to the problem and becoming part of the problem, not fixing it.
2) i am fundamentally sick of this constant push to monetise hobbies and recreation/down time, cos it feeds into this unhealthy obsession with financial profit being considered the only acceptable way to enjoy something. y'know the "if you aren't making money you're wasting your time" rubbish, like whatever happened to just enjoying something for what it is?
Someone want to remind him he's backed Star Citizen?

Also in the other games subforum they discuss EDO

Strange the white knights aren't there explaining how SC is better than ED.

He died because he was running around in 3rd person view and couldn't see his bio monitors on the HUD...so it looked like he just randomly keeled over for no reason. If the bio monitors had been visible during that extended sprinting session, you'd have seen he died of a heart attack or exhaustion...you can do that by jumping on the spot repeatedly too :)

My guess is that he died from the cold. That didn't look like any of the temp resistant armors.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator

Yes surprisingly positive the few comments so far. Presume that will change fast. Although, more on topic, there was this:

Oh well, seems that they just wanted to make it look as if the player in the ship picked up the others, because when he flew away you could see that the radar pips for the FPS players stayed on the ground. Thats rather shady marketing there.

:LOL: I mean, how rich is that?

Me being me... I quite like the sound of that :D

Engineering killed off any sense of proper PvP for me in ED, it went from being a pursuit of the skilled into a game of just turning up in engineered meta-build SCB barge.
LOL, I JUST stated this very thing in the Odyssey threads, having just found out that they are turning the FPS into the very same bullet-sponge meta-build SCB barge nonsense that ruined combat for me in ED. Great minds think alike ;)

In ED, other players are an absolute rarity unless I visit one of the CG's....or Jameson Orbital.
But part of the reason that's true is because some players are in Solo, which encourages some PvPers to not play the game or do something else in game. SC has no Solo, and has direct player tracking bounty missions. ED has instancing, designed for about 16 players or so. SC today has 50 players per server, and wants a lot more. SC has much more of a focus on PvP relative to ED.

Both approaches are fine. Gamers have a choice.

But part of the reason that's true is because some players are in Solo,
Also just sheer scale, last time I did the maths there were 57 Systems per player. Still only discovered 0.005% of the galaxy 213m Systems of 400bn :) I cant remember how many inhabited systems there are in the bubble (is it 150,000?) so even then without choke-points its rare to see somebody...which makes it special when you do, to me anyway.
which encourages some PvPers to not play the game or do something else in game.
Hooray! :)

There are far far better PVP games and far far easier exploitable PVP games for the griefers as well, Frontier are gradually catching up with them after the hullabaloo in the beginning and their playerbase is expanding as a result..:) ED at its heart is not a PVP game, it is a PVP enabled game. If it was PVP thered be 1 system with 2 planets and fixed routes into them so choke points are created, and a few 'abandoned' areas where its highly likely you will bump into another player due to missions sending you there for that reason.

Only problem is the 'something else' usually means targeting the new inexperienced players in sub-optimal ships trying to get them optimal as they are the only ones who they can actually kill.

Spectrum discussions....

I mean, this can be said of most games. But OP is rather dismissive of those complaining on the forums and tries to invalidate any negative opinions by saying they are bad apples. While i agree that on a lot of game forums the negativity is just silly and people whining, there are always some valid complaints, and on topic of course, personal opinion that is in no way invalidated just because you disagree with it. ED has its issues. GTA has its issues, and SC has issues as well.

Now, onto mining...

Someone, apparently unironically says...

Someone want to remind him he's backed Star Citizen?

The white knights don't go into the 'other games' section of spectrum. After mentioning it...I can't remember the last time I popped in there either :D

Bit late to the party, but I quite like that megabuilding personally. Very SF and pretty striking scale-wise with ships and normal buildings nearby. (y)

Top Bottom