The codex screenshot for the The Dark Wheel - Which system is it?

Then there is this:

What if the PF is the DW and we're already in it. Or in the early stages. I never read the manual. Sounds a lot like the DW mysterious introduction.
That definitely is a real possibility but seems a bit distant to me. The codex states that making attempts to contact TDW is futile and that it is they that contact you, pairing this with the lore stating only the Elite can find Raxxla I think it is safe to assume that you need to be Elite of some kind. I find it hard to believe that TDW is interested in providing any and all pilots with ships and credits when they seem to be only concerned with allowing the worthy into their organization. However, I suppose it can be argued that they are testing each pilot to find only the worthy. It is my personal belief that the only way to trigger said invitation to TDW is to be triple elite. How else would a secret organization justify the best of the best. I am personally double elite and on my last combat tier so i have some ways to go before I find out. Some argue that you may need to be CQC elite as well but that seems over the top to me especially since CQC takes place outside the core Elite game but who knows?

That definitely is a real possibility but seems a bit distant to me. The codex states that making attempts to contact TDW is futile and that it is they that contact you, pairing this with the lore stating only the Elite can find Raxxla I think it is safe to assume that you need to be Elite of some kind. I find it hard to believe that TDW is interested in providing any and all pilots with ships and credits when they seem to be only concerned with allowing the worthy into their organization. However, I suppose it can be argued that they are testing each pilot to find only the worthy. It is my personal belief that the only way to trigger said invitation to TDW is to be triple elite. How else would a secret organization justify the best of the best. I am personally double elite and on my last combat tier so i have some ways to go before I find out. Some argue that you may need to be CQC elite as well but that seems over the top to me especially since CQC takes place outside the core Elite game but who knows?
I'm insinuating that we as pilots are the ones contacted through the PF. It's the first stage of the wheel to find out if we are worthy. If the PF is part of it then it's fairly straight forward. The question is what else happens to get in deeper. Or is this is?! Isn't PF new since the last games. The previous things like galcop are all gone now. Maybe TDW took over and instituted the PF for it's own purposes. Or it took over the PF. What do we know about the PF to start with. Is it new?

Yea, I'm double and working on combat. I will probably try to get CQC to get quad also if possible. Just to be safe. Then I will go spend all my days near TDW trying to get them to do stuff. I'll be their stalker.

And combat takes a long time to grind. I need to get combat farming ship. Need my last rank in Fed to get my corvette to make the one I want.

Last edited:
The Codex says that TDW will issue a test to people it intends to invite to the organization via a person who will not reveal who they are initially until they PSA said test. Perhaps we have all already been issued that message of a test. The game manual says that our FreeWinder was given to us by a mysterious benefactor from an equally mysterious organization. And that what we do with it constitutes out test and determined is we will find out more about them.
5CD2DDE1-C8AE-421D-8FAF-7605F8637C0D.jpeg

The Codex says that TDW will issue a test to people it intends to invite to the organization via a person who will not reveal who they are initially until they PSA said test. Perhaps we have all already been issued that message of a test. The game manual says that our FreeWinder was given to us by a mysterious benefactor from an equally mysterious organization. And that what we do with it constitutes out test and determined is we will find out more about them.
View attachment 153928
If so, then what's the test?

It could be elite status.

Notice that message mentions blaze your own trail. The path we must follow. I think this is all simpler than we are thinking. Everything with Fdev is that simple. The question is how far does it go. How far have they implemented and how much did they intend. Is the invite to Sinatra Desert the next message? Obviously I"m taking the straight forward answer. Plus all of us looking for raxxla if they are and own and are in the same system as the Pilots federation is a damned convenient way to find raxxla. Look where the money is focused. Exploration. Besides mining obviously.

Maybe they found raxxla or something and the entire game premise(the new FSD engine) is the story. We could simply be living the story. I think we are on the inside on some level.

Although the whole thing sounds like a brainwashed PSA for business execs to be scammed out of their money. Or people used for political tools. Exactly what the game has us doing. 8) (Obviously no relation to real life.)

BTW, wasn't there a loss of tech that almost or partially sent the galaxy back to the stone age. This is like the fixing of that and maybe a takeover with new tech/powers/situations.

Last edited:

Notice that message mentions blaze your own trail. The path we must follow. I think this is all simpler than we are thinking. Everything with Fdev is that simple. The question is how far does it go. How far have they implemented and how much did they intend. Is the invite to Sinatra Desert the next message? Obviously I"m taking the straight forward answer. Plus all of us looking for raxxla if they are and own and are in the same system as the Pilots federation is a damned convenient way to find raxxla. Look where the money is focused. Exploration. Besides mining obviously.

Maybe they found raxxla or something and the entire game premise(the new FSD engine) is the story. We could simply be living the story. I think we are on the inside on some level.

Although the whole thing sounds like a brainwashed PSA for business execs to be scammed out of their money. Or people used for political tools. Exactly what the game has us doing. 8) (Obviously no relation to real life.)

BTW, wasn't there a loss of tech that almost or partially sent the galaxy back to the stone age. This is like the fixing of that and maybe a takeover with new tech/powers/situations.
Quadruple Elite at that too.

Blaze your own trail is the whole point of the game. I think it even says it on the PS4 disk case. But if the test was just to reach triple elite? Its not likely unless everyone who does gets sworn to secrecy.

Sinatra Desert? Maybe someone could run painstaking and pointless analysis on the invitation to Shinrarta Derzha (note: I appreciate the pun, but unfortunately I hate puns) ;)

NVM, it's the same as the aulin station. The guy earlier is right. The front ring only has two bars.

MrMarkus, that is certainly helpful! I did some further research too, it supports this - but there are some wrinkles.

Firstly, in my research I found an M type star with a surface temperature of about 2000K seems to match the screenshot. They don't go much lower. Other star types at lower temperatures than this tend to look like brown dwarf types with a dull surface, and don't match the screenshot. Though to be honest I'm not too clear on how temperature, luminosity and type affect the look of the star.

As we've noted, a star of the size in the shot must be either a giant or extremely close. I started by restricting the search to red type "big stars" with a stellar radius of over 1 sol, with an eighth moon in the same system. There are only 17 of these within 1000ly of Sol! However, none of them have low temperatures and most have otherwise unsuitable system configurations. There are 48 within 5000ly of Sol, although again hardly any have suitable configurations or temperatures.

There is nothing to stop us expanding the "big star" search outwards, but I have trouble with the idea of a clandestine organisation with ties through human space having a centuries old HQ in a random system in the middle of nowhere, both from a lore perspective and a Frontier design perspective (how would anyone ever be expected to find this?).

On the other hand, there are the "close star" candidates. There are 1000+ low temperature (1500-2250K) red stars in systems with eight moons within 1000ly of Sol. I sorted by distance to arrival and visited the very closest - Swoilz PK-Z b6-8, with a moon 260ls from the star - and checked from the moon. The star was a tiny ball in the distance, so no luck. It basically confirms that gas giants with this many moons cannot form that close to the star, and that at these distances the primary star will not match the screenshot unless it is a giant.

So, if we continue with the "close star" search - the only search which can yield a Dark Wheel anywhere near the space inhabited at game launch it seems - the star most likely cannot be a primary and must be in some kind of unusual system configuration where it gets close to the moon some other way. Possibly a red dwarf orbiting a larger star along with a gas giant, something along these lines.

There is one other possibility. It's not around a gas giant at the 8th moon. TDW is on the 8th moon. Maybe that refers the TDW and the rest refers to a different station. Also Did the TDW exist in SD on an orbit before Beyond was implemented? It is now on a surface installation which couldn't have been there before the surface expansions were added. Is this a picture of SD before beyond was added? Did they change the station type? Does anyone know if this changed at any point?

It could be possible it's like in unusual 2mass systems wehre a long string of suns exists and it could be the 8th. Those could have a gas giant that is the 8th body or an 8th sun and the gas giant is the moon itself or something unusual.

Pre beyond these were distinctly located in a system without a final number in the name. They were high value sequences with odd system or large amounts of high metal or metal rich bodies and each sector name has 1 or more of them. So, they are very searchable, but much more random.

Basic system name: "Sector XX-X X#-#"
Special sequence system name: "Sector XX-X X#"*
*First number in a sequence can be 0. (Zero)

There will usually be a large string of them per sector, but not all numbers are represented. Though most of them will be. There can be anywhere from a handfull to several hundred of them per sector. They always have weird system constructs(one type is a single star and a gas giant or single weird planet. Most are large numbers of stars or gas giants and other rarer bodies.). And they are the oldest game model for explorers to find as far as I know. They are the primary target if this is around an unusual system. Even if the system once had one of these names and has since been given a system name, you could use the search function fo find it by it's old name potentially. Just add the last number one by one to find it. And the bubble is made up of a few sectors that would have at least one of these star sequences each.

It is highly likely it is one of these system. These systems are literally to pre beyond what a super system with 10 ELW's is to current exploration. It's Exploration 101. They are/were the hottest thing to look for for anyone who knows they exist. Especially since the are so easy to find with the system name search function. And since there is literally a guarantee to be at least one sequence per sector.

I'm not sure how many of them there are compared to other system types though given the current search parameters. But if you could search their internals it may help. They have probably all been gone over, but if it's not as simple you could find the potential system at least. Maybe someone missed it with the old mechanics and never scanned it up close. Or there is a mechanic needed to get the station to appear. Or nobody notices it or something odd. It is a station, so they may just blow it off and think it's a normal station.

BTW, this would makes sense if DW was related to exploration. This is where explorers should go from a game mechanics standpoint since the dawn of the game. Potentially more important than from a lore perspective.

Also, big sectors can have multiples of these sequences and can range into hundreds of systems per sequence. Smaller sectors, like those in the bubble, have smaller sequences of them and generally one sequence per sector. Assume named systems are covering up a potential sequence at all times. The name could have been added or it could have a sub name that is part of a sequence.

This all leads me to believe this was meant to be easily findable and a fun little exploration find for dedicated explorers before heading out into larger things outside the bubble.

The other possibility, again, is that the codex is an outsiders view or similar of SD like half the info is including the SD tourist beacons and other codex information. So, did the TDW used to have a non working station around it's current location? It's an 8th moon around a gas giant. It was obviously not on a surface installation before beyond was introduced. NVM, it's on a 10th planet with a ring... Did anyone check all the H moons in SD?

Last edited:
Probably nothing special but I found today this facility near of the 8th moon of gas giant in Andowathaku after saw human location on the moon when I was checking system map before. I'm not expert to hack these facilities and don't see anything anomalous.
sIkszNZ.png

NiLr3Wv.png

Last edited:
Probably nothing special but I found today this facility near of the 8th moon of gas giant in Andowathaku after saw human location on the moon when I was checking system map before. I'm not expert to hack these facilities and don't see anything anomalous.
sIkszNZ.png

NiLr3Wv.png
It's a Military Installation with Hackable Maintenance hatches, hackable data transmitters, hackable comms array, plus various accessories such a defence turrets.

And a lot of angry military ships...

Pre beyond these were distinctly located in a system without a final number in the name. They were high value sequences with odd system or large amounts of high metal or metal rich bodies and each sector name has 1 or more of them. So, they are very searchable, but much more random.

Basic system name: "Sector XX-X X#-#"
Special sequence system name: "Sector XX-X X#"*
*First number in a sequence can be 0. (Zero)
The reason for these systems being interesting is itself interesting - though not conspiratorial and unlikely to be connected to TDW.

The format XX-X Y#-# or XX-X Y# puts a crucial meaning on the letter represented by Y - this is always 'a' to 'h', and is called the "mass code". Higher letters represent heavier and rarer stars, and as the stars are rarer the sector is divided into fewer subsectors to contain them. For masscodes 'f' and above, there are few enough subsectors that they only need a one-part numeric code, not a two-part numeric code.

Masscodes 'f' and above are rare and interesting stars - O-class, Wolf-Rayets, large black holes, bright B-class stars, supergiants, etc. - and generally worth a visit from an exploration perspective.

(You will also see lighter stars in the 'a' to 'e' masscodes with a one-part numeric code if the subsector is on the southern edge of the main sector - in this case the name XX-X d12 should be read as XX-X d0-12, and can be searched for under the longer name with the "silent 0" present)

Then there is this:

What if the PF is the DW and we're already in it. Or in the early stages. I never read the manual. Sounds a lot like the DW mysterious introduction.
Just to add here, and many not seem to know this:

Tourist Beacon #250 "Pilots' Federation's Influence" in Shinrarta Dezhra (on the eighth moon of a gas giant that is... coincidence? Also that icy moon is a darn dark place to say the least) not too far from Neumann Camp states that TDW is indeed a sub group within the Pilot's Federation. Meaning all members of TDW are also part of the Pilot's Federation.

This fits with the canon that TDW only recruits "the best of the best" pilots.

My few cents on this: system can't be a single star system.
Reason is screenshot itself - star is too close to the base.

I mean - I haven't seen a normal, lone station that near to a star. Station orbiting a moon AND a gas giant should be much more away from its star.
Most probably in photo is an overlapping orbit of a gas giant + its moons with another star, so I would look for systems with 2+ stars.

edits: typo

Last edited:
Top Bottom