The FFED3D Thread

now thats a nice asp:p

ill look forward to taking her out when you get the model sorted

some great artwork on your site

thx for sharing it

ok, ok, i'd cut down the poly count a little... but really.. their poly counts are very low, anyone wanna see a few higher res models?

Yes please!! I started a Fan Art page a while back (http://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1258), it'd be great to get it filled up with art from everyone. I've been a fan of yours for ages now ever since I've been lurking about on the Scifi-meshes forum. (never posted though - must pluck up the courage)

so is that a yes or a no? i've been doing a lot of reading about this and been to both sites you linked too... but i haven't seen anything regarding it.

I believe you can use a normal map,But any questions about the game should be asked on the Russian fourm as Headhunter and the guys there can give you a definite answer.:)

Yeah from what I can garner from the Russian site the engine will deal with normal maps - the only issues they highlight are trying to keep the polys down and retain the original model constraints.

Source:http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...wtopic.php?t=36365&sl=ru&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Russian Elite Games Site said:
Requirements for models:
1. Have an animation of the flight and landing. Animation of flight is not required, just a static frame. Animation landing includes retractable landing gear, retractable wings, etc.

2. The model should be textured to discover the texture on one image.

Suggestions: Suggestions:
1. I beg you to keep origanalnoe aspect ratio model. This is necessary to correct a conflict. Overall dimensions can be fit through the INI file.

2. Do not forget the details! In the original models are little things that are not immediately noticeable, but that surprise and delight when they discover. For example, a warning sign of radiation on the Cobra MK III. Repeat one to one is not required.

3. Have a conscience! If your model will have too many polygons, it will not marketable. Try where possible to use a smoothing normals, instead of increasing ranges.

Last edited:
The Russian remake got me back into playing FFE not just reminiscing about it. Things went quiet there recently and I was worried it had gone the way of other Elite remakes.
But, no, the site is buzzing and there looks to be some exciting work around animations at hangers to make them more lively.
The reason for posting is that looking at the blogs in google translation reminded me of the other thread about terrible animations (yes, they were hilariously bad even by the standards of their day). Maybe if they were redone with google translations of russian, it would not only make them seem weird and alien, but give us more unintended humour. For instance, taken at random from the Russian site:

"Legs I see two - back stick .. Наверное еще одну надо ближе к носу вперед выставить. Perhaps another should be closer to the nose to put forward.
3. With forms of the problem - in the wings now takes place on the ship mnooogo less than the original, as I see ..
Chesnokov this ship hemorrhoids, analogs as not looking for a form not found. Поетому форма пошла в классическое русло). THEREFORE form went into a classic track).
Насчет щупалец Regards tentacles
Если ты про двигатель. If you are about the engine. close the chassis, he spun around, he will essesno zateksturen.

Hemorrhoids:eek:

alright, thanks for the info, commanders.:D

here's a piccy of the 'reskinned' cockpit. i'm also replacing a number of the icons with redesigns at a higher res to try and make them look a little more futuristic / less toony and less aliased. The main panel icons are a temporary bodge of the old ones until i can redesign them

2e6ejbs.jpg

its not ready at this time, consider that image a work in progress. i'll have to see about getting some hosting sorted out. In the mean time, if anyone has any good suggestions for improvements i'll see if i can fit them in. - remember there's only so much i can acheive here, i can't re-arrange any panels or anything without someone who can change the coding, so keep requests reasonable;)

...way too many Steves around here. btw ;)

The new cockpit looking good steve

But Any way to break that straight line up across the top of console or just some sort of bar to indicate a frame for the window.

i think i mentioned in a previous post, but sadly no. it works in space, but due to the way the engine (presumably) draws the cockpit before the planets and objects, any cockpit geometry out of the 'safe' area at the bottom is drawn over by a planets surface or ship, hyper cloud, etc. so, in space its fine, but its unacceptably crap looking in other environments.

Im sure this could be fixed by changing the order that objects are drawn on each frame, but no idea if they have plans to implement it or how easy that would be.

no i already have that one... see the previous page, as far as i can see the startions and a lot of other objects are not in there, thanks for the tip about ctrl f9 though.. sounds interesting.

It's a shame we can't chat with these Russian guys.

I've always thought:
To hell with next-gen.
Just give us FFE with updated graphics and lots more hand-coded missions and i'll be happy!

If we could get a community effort together to make some hand-coded missions then we'd be there! No more waiting about for something that is not even definitely happening yet.

sign me up sir! i'll write ya some stories n send ya off around the galaxy to some pretty obscure spots alrighty. ;) :D

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
sign me up sir! i'll write ya some stories n send ya off around the galaxy to some pretty obscure spots alrighty. ;) :D

Yep, I'd be up for that as well. Sure I coild come up with a couple of Missions.

Back
Top Bottom