The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Processed posts #3363 - #3401, now with 100% more commentary

Thank you to all who submitted images for Cloverfield Planetary Nebula. We selected what we thought was the best photo.

Not added:

post #3377 / submission from DartBatiatus - No image and no suggested name for this. Please feel free to resubmit with a good image and a suggested name.

post #3383 / "Violet Angel" - Does not meet notability criteria, and is near the crowded galactic core. Planetary nebula should be extremely unusual or strange in this area to warrant an entry.

post #3386 / "Blue Sky" nebula - please submit a suggested name that doesn't include the word 'blue'. We have at least twenty POI with 'blue' in them, and it's a running joke now that everything in the galaxy is blue. This is otherwise noteable to be included.

post #3388 / "Lewin's Remnant" - does not meet notability criteria; two black holes and two brown dwarves aren't unusual.

post #3390 - none of these meet notability requirements. Ask yourself: "Would someone else want to travel thousands of light years to see this?"

post #3392 - already part of the "Stuemau Archer nebula cluster". Also nebula near the core should be *extremely notable and unusual* for a submission.

post #3395 / "EOS CHRAEI CRIMSON JADE NABULA" - galactic center nebula, does not meet notability criteria, see above.

post #3398 / "Red in Green" - does not meet notability criteria

Added:

'Spires of Sorrow' - added as Organic feature. Note: The regional nebula Boewnst AA-A h118 which is nearby does not have a EDSM entry. This might be an opportunity for an explorer... I'm exploring this myself now.

post #3385 / "Starry Eye" - added as Planetary nebula. Notable for ammonia-life gas giant orbiting a black hole inside a nebula. Also a good description was given.

post #3389 / "Teapot Trap" - added, will not be visible until Floalt YG-S c5-48 is trilaterated, as the system has no coordinates in EDSM. Commanders are encouraged to always submit logs to EDSM for system coordinates.

Updated:

"Gleshpoint" changed to Historical entry as the pink moons no longer exist (FDev, why must you take away what we love?)

"Crown of Ice" updated description, thank you Cmdr Maro-Val

"GRS 1730-312" updated photo, thank you CmdrWill

Pending:

post #3400 / "Rings of Amaterasu" - under discussion by staff. "Parallel rings bracketing the sun" feature may only be possible at particular orbital alignment periods, and if so, is this still POI worthy

Last edited:
Yes, i had noticed that there was no name for that nebula below Polo Harbor, but there are sooo many in that region anyway that i didn't really bother.

Added:

'Spires of Sorrow' - added as Organic feature.
Hang on, if it's an Organic feature, you're still adding bark mounds? They are all too common. Or was it just added for the thin rings visible from the surface, and it just fell into the Organics category?

Although to be honest, I think all planetary organics are common enough now that the category itself should be removed, and the historical entries (first bark mounds found and the like) moved to the Historical category instead.

Hang on, if it's an Organic feature, you're still adding bark mounds? They are all too common. Or was it just added for the thin rings visible from the surface, and it just fell into the Organics category?

Although to be honest, I think all planetary organics are common enough now that the category itself should be removed, and the historical entries (first bark mounds found and the like) moved to the Historical category instead.

If they're otherwise highly notable, yes. Not every and any instance of organics.

Well, i assume the organic category will now be exclusively reserved for interesting organic sites.

Last edited:
Crookoa Cluster

An open cluster located in Crooka sector. Easily noticable when flying to Colonia.

Approximate center - Crookoa FP-A D873

20190211234733_1.jpg

Doomed Waters

The system contains a MS star at the end of its stellar life that is orbited by M star at the distance of
30 000 light seconds. This young star carries 8 atmospherics, 3 of which are water worlds with active
carbon-based life. All of them are doomed to be burned by supernova in next the several million years.

PRU AESCS YV-E D11-170

Attachments

• 20190210184636_1.jpg
    20190210184636_1.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Faint Beacon

System is located more than 2000 light years and requires 70+ jump range or FSD injection to reach. The visitor will
be provided with astonishing galaxy disc views and a heated IV class gas giant that emits faint glow and will likely become a
brown dwarf like other minor system stars.

Oushairgh HG-Y f7

20190224152358_1.jpg
20190223002745_1.jpg
20190223003627_1.jpg

Last edited:
Heated Jupiter

In this B main star system 11th gas giant is heated by nearby stars and will soon become a brown dwarf itself.
Because of this a dim glow is noticable while flying nearby.

Lysoosms BA-A g0 (planet 11)

20190211231229_1.jpg
20190205214437_1.jpg

Hole In The Sky

A black hole inside a dark blue planetary nebula, which is in turn inside a large, dense cluster of bright blue stars.
This is unusual amongst planetary nebulae in that its central remnant has already captured some extrasolar planets.

DRYUAE AOSCS IR-W E1-3926

20190224150104_1.jpg

P.S. This systems even contains a tourist beacon, so I was really surprised that nobody has reported it yet.

Last edited:
Skaude Starfields

Two massive open clusters located in Skaude sector between Eagle and Rusty Net nebulas. They consist of various bright O, B and A class stars which are scattered across all sectors. These clusters are hard to find on the map because of the stars remoteness but are easily noticable when flying through this sector.

Approximate Center of the first - Skaude QN-A D1-82
1.jpg

Approximate Center of the second - Skaude XU-X E1-1434
2.jpg

White Triade

A system with 4 white stars, 3 of which stand in a row, providing a spectacluar view for the visitors, though they must
be cautious not to get overheated while entering the system.

DRYUAE AOSCS IH-V E2-2535

20190224144054_1.jpg

P.S. I know all these posts in a row resemble spam, but this is all I found during my trip to Colonia, and only 1 or 2 of this will actually go to the map anyway.

Last edited:
POI type: Planetary features
POI Name: Abetka
GalMap Ref: Stuemeae XV-C d4579

Description:
Lying in heart of the Galaxy, system contains interesting feature: all planets move in orbit around main group of four stars (one F, one K, and two M class stars). This feature provides some stunning shots for every visitor and nice «ABCD» format names for all planets in the system. Also, system contains ammonia world, ringed terraformable water and high metal content worlds. The proposed system name means Alphabet in Ukrainian.

Screenshot Reference:
D381919E08D5E7C4CD44843B0182CC55062BCD2F

Top Bottom