The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Site NameRingworlds (??? I am open to suggestions)
Galactic Map NameHypuae Audst TT-R e4-567
DescriptionA 48 body system, this system stands out in that the 14th body, a Class Y Brown dwarf star, has an extremely large (outer radius of 13.3m km) set of rings surrounding it, large enough to be seen upon system entry. While that is not rare, what is rare is the large gap in the center of the rings contains 5 additional bodies. All five are landable, and three of them contain geological sites. There is also a gas giant in in orbit around the outside of the rings, useful in giving scale to rings. In the last photo, the gas giant can be seen to the lower left of the ship.

*when I am next in `Verse, I will provide Orrey photos, if applicable
Photos

Last edited:
We are reluctant to delete entries that these days are not as interesting as some of the newer finds, the reason being is a lot of them (granted not all), were at some point interesting within the context of what the game offered during the time of their submission to the GMP. In addition, a lot of these now 'lesser' POIs were discovered by explorers that travelled the Galaxy during an era that may have predated all the mod-cons we have today (like massively increased jump ranges, star filters, 20K route plotters etc) and the 'work' they put in to travelling to and locating those once interesting systems and in helping to flesh out the maps in the early days will not be forgotten.

I agree with these statement. Though I have my thoughts that map should be cleaned, the goal of saving memory about early trailblazers is right

I'd suggest using another category. The name "Other POIs" evokes that that's where entries which don't fit into any of the rest go, not ones that are no longer interesting. Plus players wouldn't know from the name alone that similar entries are no longer being added. So, how about "Archived POIs" instead?

Yes, it will. Moreover, the map already has such POI type that is usually applied to distant and "beacon" stars.

I like the idea of "legacy POI's." It leaves them visible for those who want to find them, but at the same time indicates to newer players that those types of systems or features are not at the level of inclusion in the current POI framework. It still honors those who made the original find, as well.

Yea, I like this more than "Outdated" that I have offered some posts earlier. The world "legacy" bears more... respect, I think.

So. all in all, my suggestion is to make two new types: "Deleted POIs" and "Legacy POIs". Here is the criteria: outdated POI - it is place\object which was unique in the past but more or less common today (planetary nebulas or ringed ELW); deleted POI - it is a feature\object that was removed by FD (vivid gas giants or glowing planets). Most of the POIs that fit the latter factor are now holding Historical tag, so, therefore, historian POI definition will have to be reconsidered and my suggestion is: historical POI - it is a place where some important historic events took place (Beagle Point or Sol).

I also support making some distinct criteria for POIs. The current "Would another CMDR travel thousands of ly to visit it" does not really identify the rare thing. For instance, systems with 6-7 WW are quite rare, but I do not want to travel to them if they are not lying on my route, cause WW are either scattered around all the system (therefore, no possibility of making nice screenshots (map screenshots do not count)) or already mapped (therefore, no option of taking place as first-mapper (and no, I am not the type of person who rapidly maps all objects of a +/- famous system)). One person here claimed that it will take pages to place all the criteria: I do not agree with this. We do not need a detailed description of all unique things around the galaxy: just some objective rarity factors for newcomers, so they can themselves decide whether their discovery worth an entry, with some relevant examples. I also would recommend to write such factors for all POI types to make them more objective and defined. Just as instance: Stellar Features - the system has several stars that are close to each other, hosts unusual combinations or just large number of them. The best examples are: The Crux, Collection Of Wonders, Elmo`s Highway.

And about the update process itself: as I've said, I am quite sure that there will be some people who would eager to help GMP and I myself am ready to spend some time on going through existing POIs and identifying old ones.

I am ready for a discussion, so if you have your own suggestions or options do not hesitate to write them down. And I also would be glad to hear the admins' opinions on this ideas.

Name:Oupailks Furnace
Game map search ref:Oupailks BB-M c8-5
Description:Providing the requested screenshots for this POI since I wanted to explore the neighborhood!
Screenshot reference:

- CMDR Silversheen

I am ready for a discussion, so if you have your own suggestions or options do not hesitate to write them down. And I also would be glad to hear the admins' opinions on this ideas.

The ideas of what is "interesting" are always going to differ among commanders of different interests, and length of time in game, and so on. It's impossible to make a set of criteria that satisfies everyone. As as result we have to depend on our own judgement. Rarity is a non-subjective value we can use to help us, which is why many planetary nebula are now being rejected - there are 1000s of them. On the other hand high-quality pictures and a compelling description go a long way to making something more interesting for the potential visitor.

My opinion is not to remove anything that already exists as a POI, unless it no longer exists, in which case we reclassify it to historical. Older POI may still be interesting for a traveller who is going to be coming close to it along their route. Older POI also retain the discoveries of earlier explorers for when such things were noteworthy. Many of these places end up with histories of their own as people visit. The final reason is just workload for the admins - it's already a bit of work to keep up with this thread and the flood of submissions that started with DW2. We don't just blindly add, each POI usually gets checked out for accuracy, duplication, same name.... etc.

Name: Cupid's Arrow
Type: Stellar
Game map search ref: S171 34

Description: Cupid's Arrow is a tourist beacon at the edge of the NGC 7822 Nebula. As described by the tourist beacon: "The beautiful NGC 7822 nebula is pierced by a line of O-stars - therefore it has been compared to Cupid's arrow piercing a heart." The reference photo is taken from nearby system NGC 7822 Sector KC-V c2-2.

OkoDBzol.png

The ideas of what is "interesting" are always going to differ among commanders of different interests, and length of time in game, and so on. It's impossible to make a set of criteria that satisfies everyone. As as result we have to depend on our own judgement. Rarity is a non-subjective value we can use to help us, which is why many planetary nebula are now being rejected - there are 1000s of them. On the other hand high-quality pictures and a compelling description go a long way to making something more interesting for the potential visitor.

My opinion is not to remove anything that already exists as a POI, unless it no longer exists, in which case we reclassify it to historical. Older POI may still be interesting for a traveller who is going to be coming close to it along their route. Older POI also retain the discoveries of earlier explorers for when such things were noteworthy. Many of these places end up with histories of their own as people visit. The final reason is just workload for the admins - it's already a bit of work to keep up with this thread and the flood of submissions that started with DW2. We don't just blindly add, each POI usually gets checked out for accuracy, duplication, same name.... etc.

So, but if you're not going to change anything, people in this thread have to live with submissions that are not worthy in their opinion. Because how we are supposed to know what's worthy when POIs that are not interesting anymore for at least new submission are not going to be marked as such.
So I just propose no one's going to say "naahhhhh that's not rare" here anymore. This will be answered by the admins if the submission is getting added or not.
Because this only discourages newer explorers to submit.

Because how we are supposed to know what's worthy when POIs that are not interesting anymore for at least new submission are not going to be marked as such.

The best way to tell what's interesting enough for submission is to follow this thread and take note of what is accepted and what isn't. Many new players submit things that are interesting to them, and they may be genuinely interesting; but we can't accept everything, and we also can't make 100% accurate hard and fast rules.

Yes, rarity is not a subjective factor and we are unable to make criteria that will fit all the things but it does not mean we should just give up and hope that players will understand what is unique enough for the submission. As I said, I do not insist on making a detailed criteria with deep diving into details, I just suggest making short and informative phrases that will set some boundaries, so a rookie will at least know that 2-3 close stars are not rare.

Maybe I do not understand but what particularly interesting and notable happened in tons of ordinary planetary nebulas that they ended up with their stories. Yes, there are some of them that have beacons or installations inside but these are already on the map and the rest are just copy-paste common planetaries. Not to mention that most of them have a description of 5-6 words with no picture at all.

About older POIs that can be interesting for a traveled... Well, maybe it is too subjective view, but I do not agree with this. I got tired of usual nebulas and geysers on the map during first days of my journey and these older POIs are now just hindering from finding really interesting sites. Plus, if I person really wants to visit legacy POIs he will be able to enable them on the map.

The best way to tell what's interesting enough for submission is to follow this thread and take note of what is accepted and what isn't. Many new players submit things that are interesting to them, and they may be genuinely interesting; but we can't accept everything, and we also can't make 100% accurate hard and fast rules.

I do not think that people will spend much time going through the POIs to confirm that their findings are interesting. They can, after all, just look at the first 10-20 pages that were created back in 2015-2016 and decide that the discovery worth it. And I've already said my opinion on the rules creation.

To wrap it all up, I support saving the achievements of early explorers, but I really believe that map should be cleaned from time to time, so it will not become a list of systems that just have smth you do not come across every 2 hours.

I'm good with that. I'd prefer that people actually thought about whether something was worthy of submission and did a little research first before blindly throwing the millionth picture of a brown dwarf with rings onto this thread.

Yes, it would be better to point out players what they actually should seek instead of just rejecting their entries with "does not meet notability criteria" phrase, when there are no actual notability criteria written. In this case they will themselves understand that: "well, this looks nice but is not really rare but that thing is smth you do not really encounter much, etc...". Yes, rookies will eventually learn but this will happen either through 5-10 rejected posts that will clutter the thread or through 3-5 sentences criteria that will establish basic boundaries of rarity. And, yes, there always will be people who do not read anything and just dump their findings, but c'mon their number will decrease (and maybe even significantly) if we will write criteria.

There will never be universal notability criteria due to to the changing nature of the game, and of exploration. That’s just the way it’s going to be.

If other people want to start catalogs for other objects, like planetary nebula, they should do so. That even matches real-life astronomy, which has dozens of different object catalogs: NGC, IC, Kepler, BD, GCRV, and so on.

If you think something is interesting, submit it. Eventually we’ll get around to looking at it.

A couple of questions, how are the submitted systems annotated as having been accepted here in the forum? Is there a marker or tag that they get?

Given what Vovva said, and I agree with, perhaps it's time to lock down this thread and go to a ver2.0 of POI submissions? That would give a fresh start to what's considered acceptable within current standards, and prevent the new user from having to wade through a lot of pages to get to the modern submissions.

Last edited:
A couple of questions, how are the submitted systems annotated as having been accepted here in the forum? Is there a marker or tag that they get?

We post an update to the thread with the list of posts/systems/names that are accepted/rejected along with details. Also with other updates and changes. The last update was post #3536.

The flood of submissions from DW2 is putting us a fair bit behind, and Erimus is also an expedition leader, so he's not as available to help work the list.

INCOMING TRANSMISSION

20-04-3305 00:00 Standard Galactic Time
From: Galactic Mapping Project, Sol System, Earth, Inner Orion Spur
To: All Pilot Federation Explorers

Intense data-mining efforts of Universal Cartographic databases have revealed two previously overlooked sites of high scientific value. Explorers are asked to visit these locations and submit scans, descriptions and astrophotography. Explorers who contribute will be recognized by the Galactic Mapping Project for their efforts.

Both locations contain an earth-like world suitable for terraforming in primary orbit of a black hole. This was previously believed to be impossible by the scientific community until the recent discovery of 'Tenebris Terrae' at Eos Ausms AA-A f252. Further details on these extremely unusual planets may revolutionize our understanding of biology and ecology. In addition, both systems are located less than 1000 light-years from the Colonia outpost. This gives excellent potential for further study and lucrative tourism contracts.

Galmap Reference System #1: Eol Prou NS-U f2-2220
Galmap Reference System #2: Eoch Pruae FG-Y f2444

TRANSMISSION CONCLUDES

Oh, no no no no... Please understand, first and foremost. You folks are doing a magnificent job, and I understand that it takes time and effort to get it done. I am not complaining about it at all. Y'all doin the Lawd's work here, make no mistake. I think all of us in this current conversation are trying to figure out a way for the process to be easier for you. So, thank you for doing what you are doing. I personally appreciate it, and I hope that Frontier recognizes you for making their game better

Last edited:
There will never be universal notability criteria due to to the changing nature of the game, and of exploration. That’s just the way it’s going to be.

If other people want to start catalogs for other objects, like planetary nebula, they should do so. That even matches real-life astronomy, which has dozens of different object catalogs: NGC, IC, Kepler, BD, GCRV, and so on.

The criteria can also be changed from time to time, it is not too difficult. Plus, the game is online for 5+ years and last serious changes to notability were made back in 2016. Yes, 3.3 brought phenomena but the only thing that changed is that people had to remember what life forms and anomalies are rare and which are not so.

I am talking exactly about the opposite. I do not want (and I reckon no one wants) GMP to become lists of planetaries, geysers, lifeforms etc. It should be more like a summary oo really interesting places from all of these lists. And to reach this goal some old entries should be reconsidered to keep the map up-to-date.

Oh, no no no no... Please understand, first and foremost. You folks are doing a magnificent job, and I understand that it takes time and effort to get it done. I am not complaining about it at all. Y'all doin the Lawd's work here, make no mistake. I think all of us in this current conversation are trying to figure out a way for the process to be easier for you. So, thank you for doing what you are doing. I personally appreciate it, and I hope that Frontier recognizes you for making their game better

Yes, with lack of in-game trade, exploration encyclopedias and tools, EDSM, EDDB, Coriolis, and lots of other programs and sites are invaluable help for players who will always appreciate job done by you. But all of these third-party tools should be updated to keep up with time. I stand for the POIs reconsideration not because I have nothing to do, no, I want to help GMP to become a better version of itself. You have been complaining that a lot of players post ordinary and not notable things and I suggest solution to the issue. And I am not planning to just say what to do and wait for the grass to grow, I am ready to help in criteria writing and going through existing POIs.

Top Bottom