The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

I don't like to nitpick, but in the desc for The Anthor Patch, it says "The Patch isself" instead of "itself". I thought isself might have been a word, but apparently not. And I haven't got a POI to add myself, so I'll help the project by spellchecking [haha]

Fixed. (Looks like on of the other mods got to it.) We're totally OK with spelling corrections!

Yeh I actually found a crazy Rocky Icy world on the shepard Mission - which is listed as the second hottest according to the EDDB list you show

Roefaa AE-X c3-4 4

Surface Temp: 4,725.04
Radius: 16,331.60km
Earth Masses: 28.853024
Surface Gravity: 4.312g
Surface Pressure 6,051,214 atmospheres

While not the largest on record, it is the second hottest, third most massive, and has the third highest surface pressure.

I like to pretend that the "ice" is actually the solid phase of some liquid that makes sense under these conditions.

Name:Wings of Mercury
GalMap Search Ref:WEPAA FG-Y G1750
Description:Discovered during a survey of Black Hole Alley by CMDR Felina Hawk, one is greeted immediately by a black hole upon entering this system. However, the true attraction is not the black hole itself, but the nearby twin neutron stars orbiting each other. These stars are not only close together, less than 10ls apart, but also enormous for stars of their class. Combined with the rapid rotation of their jet cones, this system makes for a phenomenal view, as well as a place for activities of derring-do for pilots who may wish to race between the two neutron stars.
Screenshot Reference:
MWVbAZD.jpg

lMBpR5m.jpg

Last edited:
I like to pretend that the "ice" is actually the solid phase of some liquid that makes sense under these conditions.
I'm fairly certain that it's that. At least the one mentioned in the surface composition part of the planetary info. Kind of like how "rock" and "metal" don't just mean one specific kind of rock or metal - said "ice" need not be water ice.

New POI:

POI Name: Matariels Tears Nebula
POI Type: Planetary Nebula
Galmap Ref: Wepaa ST-R e4-2384
Full Survey Link: https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodies/id/6182425/name/Wepaa+ST-R+e4-2384

Description: Located on the border between the Far 3kpc Arm and Colonia space, this planetary nebula gives off a beautiful light purple and blue glow. Its central black hole, at roughly 2.6 solar masses, is the result of a supernova that occurred some 284 million years ago. This black hole is surrounded by no less than 32 stellar bodies. These include one type 3, one type 2, and two type 1 gas giants with a plethora of landable moons. The final main planet is a large icy world with a 4.20 pressure Helium atmosphere, weighing in at almost 30~ earth masses. With no light emitting star in system, the planets here are lit only by the background light of the nebula reflected from nearby stars.

The system displays a high amount of volcanism - the majority of the moons support either water or carbon dioxide geysers, no doubt caused by the immense tidal forces that many of these bodies are subjected to. This has led to many of the moons also possessing complex and deep canyon systems. In addition, the type 3 gas giant sports a ring which seems to contain high levels of palladium and other rare metals. Other materials of note are trace amounts of both yttrium and polonium as surface deposits.

From the surface of these worlds, the sheer luminosity of the nebula becomes evident - the black hole silhouetted against the backdrop of the milky way seemingly an echo back to its explosive past.

This nebula was first discovered by CMDR SovietOnion and CMDR Big Bad Lynx. However, despite its proximity to Colonia being a mere 4330 light years in distance, this nebula would remain a mystery until fully surveyed by CMDR Deathbane on the return leg of the Mercury 7 Expedition.

UWDaGHq.jpg

08fd8Iq.jpg

(Black hole visible as that ball of light ^)

EzP7aKF.jpg

p1G4nBD.jpg

Last edited:
Map updated until post #1648

Added:
- Romulus & Remus
- Ocularis Coelum
- Little Red Riding Hood
- Beetle Burial Grounds
- Goliath’s Rest
- Red River Run
- Ramiels Song
- NGC 1501
- Aether Nebula
- Down Below
- Up Above
- Hypatia’s Lighthouse
- Maw of Kronos
- Black Wig Nebula
- Ghadamon
- the Wepaa Black Hole Fields
- Wings of Mercury
- Matariels Tears

Updated:
- NGC 3199
- Beetle Nebula
- Magnus Nebula
- Zinnia Haze <- also removed dublicate entry
- NGC 4463 Open Cluster <- slight edit
- Hyponia (permit region) <- new image, added link to Daedalus wing

Not added:
- Burning Red Ice <- Not that unusual

New contributors:
- Deathbane

Last edited:
Name:Ammutseba
GalMap Search Ref:WEPAA BA-A G1712
Description:Discovered during a survey of Black Hole Alley by CMDR Felina Hawk, the major feature of this system is a black hole and a giant neutron star in a close binary orbit, thus lending the system its name -- Ammutseba, the Devourer of Stars. The Ammutseba Black Hole / Neutron Star Binary System, or Ammutseba for short, serves as a fantastic case study on the effects of gravitational lensing between two hyper-dense objects and how said lensing only affects far-away objects, whilst leaving nearby objects undistorted. These two stellar objects orbit each other rapidly, with an orbital period of a mere 0.5 days, fast enough to detect with the naked eye.
Screenshot Reference:
Kbg1uEQ.jpg

7b965qu.jpg

[video=youtube;qFQ3YEWtfF8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFQ3YEWtfF8[/video]

Last edited:
Name : Xydhroz's Hope
GalMap Search Ref : SMOJI GW-E D11-2
Description : Discovered during the Summer Great Expedition, the 31st May 3303. Xydhroz's Hope is an ammoniac world with amazing rings. Near to Eta Carina Nubula, without atmosphere and mainly composed of metals and rocks. With his 1.02G and 1.69 earth masses, she is a little bigger than Earth. And obvioulsy, his temperateure of 107K is perfect for holidays !
Screenshot :

Sweet, thanks! Though, if I may ask, why did you name it "The Wepaa Black Hold Fields" as opposed to "Black Hole Alley"? Was the latter too generic?

'The Wepaa Black Hole fields' where suggested in the entry as an alternative name and I thought it was more informative. I can easily change it to Black Hole Alley if you prefer that one.

Hi Cmdrs, here is my suggestion to a POI.
It's a system and if you need more informations there is no problem.

POI NameHazardous Icarus
GalMap POI NameNyeakeia AA-A h27 Coord : 8519.5 / -889.65625 / 6703.125
DescriptionFound this system during the Summer Great Expedition. It is composed by three black holes, and one neutron star. Two black holes orbiting each other with three celestial bodies (which are near the couple and massives) orbiting around the couple of black holes and one black hole orbiting with the neutron star. The main black hole weighs 30 solar masses and the two others around 5. Moreover the orbit of the first couple is really near and so the revolution time is quit short (around 0,4 days). The entry in the system is kind safe but the navigation is not easy because of the 30 solar masses and the fact that they are really close. The 0,4 days of revolution and the different complex orbits can be dangerous as the fact that we can't have a good visual on the black holes. This system also include an other star and a giant orbiting around the two couples.
Screenshot
9lV7tEZ.png

NB : I supposed there are plenty of "Icarus" name so if it is the case instead of "Hazardous Icarus" you can choose "Hazardous Naucrate". Naucrate was the mother of Icarus.

So, I was chatting with some of the other members of the Expedition about this, and we decided that the "Wepaa Stellar Graveyard" would actually be a better name for it. Also, I have updated both its description as well as that of the Ammutseba Black Hole, the former for grammatical purposes and to reflect the contributions of CMDR XFightingFalconX in its discovery, and the latter for grammatical purposes.

Last edited:
I wonder if the star system HIP 47126 could be considered a POI if only because of those two extremely fast spinning Neutron Stars (one is 2.05 milliseconds, the other is 1.653 milliseconds, the latter being an EGO record breaker). They spin fast enough that they could be considered Millisecond Pulsars (I could see the high energy jets from over 1,000 lightseconds away). In any case, I might as well post it (I'll probably insert a screenshot or two later since it is very late and I'm tired). Also, going to point out I was not the original founder of the system, but I just thought it sucked that no one has posted it yet.

POI NameTwin Eaters
POI TypePulsars(?)
Galmap ReferenceHIP 47216
DescriptionA pair of incredibly rapid spinning pulsars just over 960 Lightyears from Sol. The slower spinning one (2.05 ms) orbits a Class B Supergiant* and the faster spinning one (1.653 ms) orbits a Class A Subdwarf.* Both these pulsars are eating away at their companion stars rather quickly. It likely won't be long until the subdwarf becomes a White Dwarf and the Supergiant goes supernova and becomes another Neutron Star
Screenshot
star_eater_by_cypherg-dbbc4cq.png

*I know they are read as a Class A supergiant and a Class A Main Sequence Star, but the Galaxy map describes them as a B8II (Class B supergiant) and an A0VI (Class A Subdwarf) respectively so those slight inaccuracies bother me somewhat

Edit: Added a screenshot (spoiler tags due to being a hi res screencap and thuse a pretty big picture)

Last edited:
So, I was chatting with some of the other members of the Expedition about this, and we decided that the "Wepaa Stellar Graveyard" would actually be a better name for it. Also, I have updated both its description as well as that of the Ammutseba Black Hole, the former for grammatical purposes and to reflect the contributions of CMDR XFightingFalconX in its discovery, and the latter for grammatical purposes.

Cool. Ill update the entries on the map accordingly later today.

Regarding the use of CMDR names in POI descriptions (just some general information for everyone):

You are very welcome to include info on which CMDRs assisted in locating or reaching a specific POI, but as a rule of thumb we rarely include this information in the actual entries on the map. Instead we post a link in the map entry that leads back to the post in the forum thread where such information can be found. The reason for this policy is to maintain a focus on the stuff found out there in the galaxy and the achievements of the exploration community in general.

The few exceptions I can think of would be:
- Discoveries that brought the CMDR in question fame outside just the exploration forums (eg. Zulu Romeo reaching Sag A*, Erimus reaching Beagle Point)
- Map entries where the CMDR in question IS the story, rather than the place having significance in itself (eg. the rescue of Felix Macedonica)
- Some older entries where we did not enforce this policy (though we do edit them when we come across them).
EDIT: - A few select records for major achievements also carry a CMDR name with them (eg. Ishum´s Reach)

Last edited:
Cool. Ill update the entries on the map accordingly later today.

Regarding the use of CMDR names in POI descriptions (just some general information for everyone):

You are very welcome to include info on which CMDRs assisted in locating or reaching a specific POI, but as a rule of thumb we rarely include this information in the actual entries on the map. Instead we post a link in the map entry that leads back to the post in the forum thread where such information can be found. The reason for this policy is to maintain a focus on the stuff found out there in the galaxy and the achievements of the exploration community in general.

The few exceptions I can think of would be:
- Discoveries that brought the CMDR in question fame outside just the exploration forums (eg. Zulu Romeo reaching Sag A*, Erimus reaching Beagle Point)
- Map entries where the CMDR in question IS the story, rather than the place having significance in itself (eg. the rescue of Felix Macedonica)
- Some older entries where we did not enforce this policy (though we do edit them when we come across them).

Thank you for the precision, I transmit the message to my commanders.

Name : Xydhroz's Hope
GalMap Search Ref : SMOJI GW-E D11-2
Description : Discovered during the Summer Great Expedition, the 31st May 3303. Xydhroz's Hope is an ammoniac world with amazing rings. Near to Eta Carina Nubula, without atmosphere and mainly composed of metals and rocks. With his 1.02G and 1.69 earth masses, she is a little bigger than Earth. And obvioulsy, his temperateure of 107K is perfect for holidays !

Hi Xydhroz,

Is there anything else unique about this world? Ammonia worlds with rings aren't particularly unusual - I thing I've logged at least a dozen on my own personal travels.

Last edited:
Deep Space Outposts

Update On Deep Space Outposts

The new asteroid bases were created over a very wide area, from Station X to the Eagle Sector Secure Facility. During the initial rush, several asteroid bases were added that don't really qualify as "deep space outposts", since they are inside the bubble.

After some discussion, we are removing the following POIs from the deep space outpost list:
* Pirate's Lament
* Sisters' Refuge

Future deep space outposts will need to be locations well outside the bubble, and also well outside the Colonia area (which now has a number of stations). The current list of existing asteroid bases that don't qualify as deep space outposts are:

Harvard Base - HIP 83506: 330 Ly (distance to Sol)
Mike's Rock - HIP 1185: 289 Ly
Jack's Town - Felkan: 83 Ly
Mitzi's Den - Runo: 169 Ly
Pirate's Lament - HIP 17519: 260 Ly
Sisters' Refuge - HIP 16813: 309 Ly
TolaGarf's Junkyard - Eol Prou LW-L c8-215: 18 Ly (to Colonia)

Last edited:
Thargoid Surface Sighting

Incoming Transmission.......

Thargoid ship spotted interacting with barnacle site on ground.

Location: Pleiades Sector OI-T C3-7 A 6, coords: -42.7793, -21.7215

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/ufnxj
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8S-4Oq9Xvc and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhId9CUphN8
Additional documentation: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/6errck/well_this_just_happend/

--

If anyone knows of a surface spotting prior to this, please provide details; otherwise this will become a Historical POI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom