The Mining nerf was likely the worst implementation of a Balancing in Years...

Look, Sunleader, as much as I agree with your points, could you please stop randomly capitalising words in your sentences. Pretty Please ;)

I would like to Comply. If nothing else because you at least asked Politely.
But Frankly said. I doubt I could ever actually manage to hold that up.
Typing like that is an Habit I got for over 15 Years now. And suppressing it usually ends with me not just needing much longer to write a Post as I constantly tab back and delete stuff to rewrite it. But also usually fails anyways cause there is always some Words where I then just used a Capital Letter again anyways.

And its honestly said not worth the Effort.

For Condolence however I can tell you the Funny bit which lead to me Writing like that.
Might not make up for me Annoying you by having this Funny habit of Writing. But maybe it will at least give you a Laugh.

You See. I am German.
I went to a Elementary Catholic School which Emphasized more on Religion and History rather than Languages.
After that I went to a Middle School that gave Latin Classes instead of English Classes for the Second Language. (My Family is Dominated by Lawjers so.......)
When I Finally managed to get to a School that was more on the Natural Science and Engineering Side where I wanted to go. I was of course Woefully behind.
After all. I never had English before. And now was in Classes with People that had English for 3 Years....
But.
Life is not Fun if its not Complicated. 6 Months into me Joining the Class. Our English Teacher got Pregnant. And thus was gone for 2 Years lol.
The Replacement Teacher was a Math Teacher with no Idea of English. So that was Basicly the Extend of English Classes I got.

Now. How do I manage to Speak English when all Education I got was 6 Months of which I hardly Understood anything ?
The Reason is a Game Named Tibia which I started Playing when I was in 10th Grade.
Not having the Slightest Idea how to Talk English. I joined a German Speaking Guild there. This German Speaking Guild happened to be Allied with a Brazilian Guild.
And well. I talked to them. Quite a bit while Spending Time in that Game. ^^

Now. 2 Things to keep in Mind.
In German you capitalize any Noun and also any other Word that is used in the Position of a Noun.
Add to that. That I never got any Proper Education on how English Grammar works and learned English in an Online Game that has a Single Line Chat Window.
This one Line Chat Window by the way. Is also the Reason why I am absolutely Horrible at using Comma and Punctuation in General. As well as me constantly hitting the Enter Key in the Text.

Now. I would dare Claiming that my English is quite Good considering the Circumstances :p
Still. You guys can be Happy you just have to Put up with my Writing.
When I went for my Apprenticeship in Electronics I got Technical English Classes.
My English Teacher was actually Impressed. Because I could Talk English with her without making pauses or translating things first to make sense of them. Which wasnt exactly a common thing 15 years ago.
But she did Point out something that Describes me quite well ^^
To quote her Words.
".... but you Sound like a Latino Rapper from a ghetto in the US...."

I made about 2 Billions from yesterday evening to today. So...it´s a matter of three days ;-)

So have I - doing delivery missions (metals) :). I have earned most of it in the Pleiades, but now I am working on a new Extraction system not that far out, and it’s beginning to pay very well. I have earned about 23 billion by mining over the years, and most of it at times where mining was far from as good as it has been the latest months.

It’s refreshing and fun to leave mining - at least for a while (y):).

I am glad that I feel the urge to play ED again :). I started playing again about a week ago after a long break.

Last edited:
Adjust the tone screw and start over :LOL:
I never had a C64. I had a spectrum with a built in DATACORDER (what the difference is between a DATACORDER and a plain old tape deck eludes me) - though before that I did have an atari 800 with an external tape deck - on that one I mostly played the stuff we had on cartridges though.

Seriously, other than Breakout, the first game I remember playing was Star Raiders.

To this day, I think of the Star Raiders jump sequence every time I have to fight an interdiction.

I never had a C64. I had a spectrum with a built in DATACORDER (what the difference is between a DATACORDER and a plain old tape deck eludes me) - though before that I did have an atari 800 with an external tape deck - on that one I mostly played the stuff we had on cartridges though.

Seriously, other than Breakout, the first game I remember playing was Star Raiders.

To this day, I think of the Star Raiders jump sequence every time I have to fight an interdiction.

I did have a Spectrum also, lol, I remember those nights with a bunch of friends, all over the tape recorder with a screwdriver making adjustments of the magnetic reader head for each fracking game , since everyone come with his favorite game in a cassette... Add the cable to use the TV as a monitor, and the waiting time, usually 5-10 minutes for the bigger games....

Because thats not how things work.
If People give up on something and see no Hope for it. They wont Complain. They will write off the Loss and Move on.
Complaints are something you get when the Person intends to stick around. Something you get when your Game is good enough that People think its worth the Effort and Time Investment to try and Improve it.

Someone who is Convinced that SC will never be Finished or worth anything. Will Generally Demand a Refund or just Write it off. And no longer bother with it.
Someone who on Launch of NMS felt Cheated just asked for a Refund and left to not look back.
Now wether or not a Refund actually happens and if someone is ready to Expend the effort to get the Refund is another Story.
But the thing they dont do is waste more Time on it.

The Reason why People complain in Elite is because we have actual Expectations here.
We do think that this Game can become Better. And we do think its worth Investing the Time to Complain and Nag on the Devs to do a Better Job.

I think I understand your point. As this is a game in continuous development we have expectations and we want the game to become better and have more things on it. I think the devs too, not only because it is their job but because I think they like what they are doing. But I do think that a part of the players (a small vocal part, I think, but I'm not sure nor I have any means to prove it) actually enjoy posting these complaining threads just for the fun of getting angry and I have the feeling that getting angry on the internet is becoming very addictive.

I compared the game with NMS and SC because they are similar but there are other games with active development and communities which I personally know and visit from time to time, just like here in Elite. il-2: Great Battles, DCS, and The Long Dark. Of them, probably Elite and DCS have, in my opinion, the angriest fandom. I understand it from DCS, friking planes are incredibly expensive (Carrier, a plane and a map each for $70 USD? @#$%%!), so yeah, they have very good reasons to demand only the best. The rest have their drama but the comments are usually constructive, polite, and realistic but here?

Seriously, who names their thread "the worse implementation in years" for the tweak of the price of a handful, among dozens, of products of the trade aspect of the game? And happens all the time! Everything is the worst thing ever and then they list their wishes that are in direct contradiction to other "worst thing ever" wishes!

Anyway, I guess that in a way this is also another "worst thing ever" rant but towards the community so I guess I'm in that wagon too. I better get back to playing the game.

EDIT: I just noticed you are the OP so that went like a personal attack, my apologies but well, I wrote it so I will leave it here to prove my lack of tact.

Last edited:
I think I understand your point. As this is a game in continuous development we have expectations and we want the game to become better and have more things on it. I think the devs too, not only because it is their job but because I think they like what they are doing. But I do think that a part of the players (a small vocal part, I think, but I'm not sure nor I have any means to prove it) actually enjoy posting these complaining threads just for the fun of getting angry and I have the feeling that getting angry on the internet is becoming very addictive.

I compared the game with NMS and SC because they are similar but there are other games with active development and communities which I personally know and visit from time to time, just like here in Elite. il-2: Great Battles, DCS, and The Long Dark. Of them, probably Elite and DCS have, in my opinion, the angriest fandom. I understand it from DCS, friking planes are incredibly expensive (Carrier, a plane and a map each for $70 USD? @#$%%!), so yeah, they have very good reasons to demand only the best. The rest have their drama but the comments are usually constructive, polite, and realistic but here?

Seriously, who names their thread "the worse implementation in years" for the tweak of the price of a handful, among dozens, of products of the trade aspect of the game? And happens all the time! Everything is the worst thing ever and then they list their wishes that are in direct contradiction to other "worst thing ever" wishes!

Anyway, I guess that in a way this is also another "worst thing ever" rant but towards the community so I guess I'm in that wagon too. I better get back to playing the game.

EDIT: I just noticed you are the OP so that went like a personal attack, my apologies but well, I wrote it so I will leave it here to prove my lack of tact.

I wont take Honest Opinions as Personal Attacks.
I actually like to have Arguments about things if there is actual Explanations and Arguments in a Civilized Manner.

Main Reason I am fairly Rude in this Topic is because more than Half of the People that constantly Attack the Complaint are People which are not actually Interested in the Topic.
But are People that have a Personal Beef with me and thus have pretty much Shown up whenever I said something they could possibly contest.
Most of the time without even attempting to make actual Arguments but rather just make UnfoundedClaims or Misleading statements that are just sidelines to the Topic.
Pretending that this would somehow be an Argument.
Like Repeatedly making Claims on how much Money they made. But not mentioning Hourly Rates or Exact Methods. Or if they mention such Methods these being unreliable one Off Cases that cannot be Repeated for an Hourly Rate etc. Or it being a method only Viable when already Owning a Carrier and thus being able to Ignore Distances for most part.
Or Repeatedly just throwing Claims that I am just Angry about my Fast Money Grind being Nerfed or me wanting stuff for Free. When I already got my Carrier anyways and thus dont actually need to care anymore. As I can easily make Money using my Carrier.
Which is Frankly Annoying. Cause the Topic is not even the Mining Nerf itself but the Implementation of the Update.

And since we are on it.
No I dont consider "But they Said they will Fix other Stuff too" a Valid Argument. This is still Broken. And Implementing this without first Fixing the other Stuff is a Horrible Choice not helping anyone.

As for the Post itself.

Angry Posts are also Called Venting for a Reason. Complaining about things you dont like and making a Fuss about it. Reliefs Stress :p
But my Main Reason for Complaining is because I hope FDEV will See it and maybe Rethink their Decisions a bit.

And well. Funny enough. In this Topic you could think I committed some Sort of Sacrileg Complaining about this.
In the Announcement Topic meanwhile. I said exactly the same thing. And apparently most People Agree with the Opinion that FDEV should have either done a Full Comprehensive Update Fixing the Economy in several Areas at once. Or at least Prioritize Fixing other Activities Economy BEFORE nerfing Mining.

And Yes. The Name is over the Top. After all its Supposed to drag Attention.
And No. I dont think its that Bad actually. I mean. Dont get me Wrong. But currently Biggest Profit Margins are all Mining Ressources Right now.
Effectively Player Trade is mostly Minable Ressources now.
One Week after the Mining Nerf. It seems they completely Wrecked Trade in all other Areas. But thats a different Story :p

Greetz

I find it very hard to get worked up about the removal of a massive outlier of a moneymaker that I was able to afford a carrier without resorting to using, sorry.

I only tried out the mining map the day before the nerf hit to see just how lucrative it was, and hooh. It was leagues ahead of doing it the normal way.

And why was it so far ahead? Because it completely cut out an entire section of the gameplay loop, namely prospecting.

The same thing was true of people slapping up the triple-hotspots. Instead of going out, prospecting, finding a hotspot and getting some shinies out of it, now you had someone saying "EVERYONE, FORGET PROSPECTING, GO HERE AND ONLY HERE" and you could cut the entire "finding the good spots" part out of your game.

The thing is, mining was still a fantastic way to make money without doing it the meta way. And you know what? Your average, casual, "fly out to some rings, hit up a hotspot and grab what's there" method is still good. Or at least, would be if they fixed the PWA but that's another matter entirely.

Personally if I were fdev I'd incorporate some sort of date stamp into the seed for generating asteroids and kill these "everyone mine this one spot in this one system on this exact route forever and don't bother deviating from the already solved problem" maps. Sorry, everyone mined those asteroids already, they're depleted now.
Even the weekly tick would do it - it'd give enough time for gold rushes to pop up if someone finds something like the egg partway through the week and everyone piles in to get in on it before it vanishes again.

Adjust the tone screw and start over :LOL:

Lol yes - and christ it was easy to copy games at that time. Just throw it in a double cassette recorder and of you go. But it had to be a pretty good one.

This gif brings more childhood memories for me than most :D:
1606678879760.gif

Sorry for being off toplic, but this just took off :geek:. I’ll behave now.

I find it very hard to get worked up about the removal of a massive outlier of a moneymaker that I was able to afford a carrier without resorting to using, sorry.

I only tried out the mining map the day before the nerf hit to see just how lucrative it was, and hooh. It was leagues ahead of doing it the normal way.

And why was it so far ahead? Because it completely cut out an entire section of the gameplay loop, namely prospecting.

The same thing was true of people slapping up the triple-hotspots. Instead of going out, prospecting, finding a hotspot and getting some shinies out of it, now you had someone saying "EVERYONE, FORGET PROSPECTING, GO HERE AND ONLY HERE" and you could cut the entire "finding the good spots" part out of your game.

The thing is, mining was still a fantastic way to make money without doing it the meta way. And you know what? Your average, casual, "fly out to some rings, hit up a hotspot and grab what's there" method is still good. Or at least, would be if they fixed the PWA but that's another matter entirely.

Personally if I were fdev I'd incorporate some sort of date stamp into the seed for generating asteroids and kill these "everyone mine this one spot in this one system on this exact route forever and don't bother deviating from the already solved problem" maps. Sorry, everyone mined those asteroids already, they're depleted now.
Even the weekly tick would do it - it'd give enough time for gold rushes to pop up if someone finds something like the egg partway through the week and everyone piles in to get in on it before it vanishes again.

If there were some way to destroy asteroids and have them disappear forever without needing ridiculous amounts of data to save it all, I'd be all for that, it'd be pretty cool to see how much exactly players have mined thus far, and there's more than enough rings out there to last forever even with single-use asteroids.

But I think that would probably use an exorbitant amount of information, so it probably wouldn't be worth the bother.

If there were some way to destroy asteroids and have them disappear forever without needing ridiculous amounts of data to save it all, I'd be all for that, it'd be pretty cool to see how much exactly players have mined thus far, and there's more than enough rings out there to last forever even with single-use asteroids.

But I think that would probably use an exorbitant amount of information, so it probably wouldn't be worth the bother.
Yeah. Back when people were going on about the egg, I actually went mining elsewhere, at a nice little VO/LTD overlapping hotspot, chasing after core and subsurface rocks. One time, I dropped on the ring and almost immediately stumbled upon a rock that was even better than the egg. It had five subsurface deposits and a high LTD content along with a few surface spots. I got over 90 tons from that one asteroid. It was an absolute jackpot.
Could I find it again even if you asked me? Hell no. I dropped on a random place roughly halfway between the two hotspots and boosted along pinging the PWA at 600m/s. Presumably still out there but good luck finding it.

And the thing is? This is fine. These rare but lucrative motherlodes and jackpots are perfectly intended, fantastic parts of the game. They only became a problem when people found one that was reliable and repeatable and told everyone and their dog about it.

Mining maps? That's a thing?

Yep. Yields from asteroids are procedurally generated from the same seed number each time, so if you visit the same spot in a field on two separate occasions and prospect the same rock both times they will have the same mineral content each time.

So if you have a landmark to orient yourself (a res site, hotspot centre, or similar) so you can find the same starting point, you can map out all the best asteroids in a belt and on subsequent runs just go back and speedrun just the good ones without wasting any time prospecting rocks that don't have anything.

There's a map of one of the painite hotspots in the hyades DB-X system that will show you how to hit two dozen rocks in a row with 50%+ painite content.

It is, but it shouldn't be. The distribution should be random, tbh, but too many people sulk when you suggest depleting an asteroid of it's minerals, coming back later and BOOM it's back to full because the mineral faeries topped it up for you is more realistic than the rocks in the belts rearranging over time, like you'd expect.

i know. so wow what a great change...you had 3 materials worth mining before the patch now you have one - gg

So much salt. Mmmm....

Whole thread is funny though.

Worst change to balance was when FD made mining worth hundreds of millions per hour in the first place. Now they are reeling it back in to a palty hundred million or so per hour.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom