Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

.Discovered another change that I've been wanting for a very, very long time. When you get the freighter, the only way to save inside is to get to your starship and jump in and out. The save console couldn't be place inside the freighter before, but now you can. Finally, I can place a save point inside the freighter. Besides being able to sit in your own chairs, that's probably one of my most wanted features.
😊

Well, good news. I found an excellent abandoned ship, one looking very much like Serenity in Firefly. So I claimed it, patted myself on my back for my good fortune and toddled off planet to gather the necessary bits and bobs to patch the old girl up.

Bad news, when I returned some vile brigand had stolen her away. I knew I should have shoved a wheel-clamp on!

Hmmmmm I know the visuals are not to everyones taste, and i know the realism is, well, it isnt....... but I so hope one day I can do this on an ELW in ED

(complete with caves and tunnels)

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cvma6f Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/cvma6f/really_starting_to_enjoy_the_flight_controls_in/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Yeah, it seems the flying might be more fun then it used to.. but I can't help but notice that horrible pop-in with the trees halfway through.

Bad news, when I returned some vile brigand had stolen her away. I knew I should have shoved a wheel-clamp on!

That's really strange, don't you have it in your collection anymore? I wasn't aware you can steal peoples' ships... Braben promised land :p Although that's probably a bug, not a deliberate fun gameplay mechanic ;-) It is possible that it simply de-spawned after you left. Check the quick menu, there is an option to summon craft, switch to ships and she should be there. If not... Have you backed up your save ? :D :D :D

I can't help but notice that horrible pop-in with the trees halfway through.
I used my old save at launch, and when I was in my freighter, adjacent walls materialised in front of my nose. THAT was unbearable. It got better since then (I think), but it was really bad. VR of course.

I used my old save at launch, and when I was in my freighter, adjacent walls materialised in front of my nose. THAT was unbearable. It got better since then (I think), but it was really bad. VR of course.

I did install Beyond to see how it runs on my new rig, and the frame rate was pretty solid, but I found it kinda weird that it was LODing textures even though I specifically installed it on my SSD. Guess it's an engine thing.

NMS has always had an issue with popup for me, worse the faster you travel (obviously). It's a shame but I just think current tech cannot do the game justice yet. I'm wondering if FD will impose a limit on speed when they get round to letting us land on earth likes...I dread to think what sort of super computer will be needed to do that justice!

Well, good news. I found an excellent abandoned ship, one looking very much like Serenity in Firefly. So I claimed it, patted myself on my back for my good fortune and toddled off planet to gather the necessary bits and bobs to patch the old girl up.

Exact same scenario happened to me. I was hoping it would re-appear on my freighter (when I got one), but I did last night, and no ship.

Much sadness. :cry:

I did install Beyond to see how it runs on my new rig, and the frame rate was pretty solid, but I found it kinda weird that it was LODing textures even though I specifically installed it on my SSD. Guess it's an engine thing.

It's an engine thing.

You can mod it out here if you like (PC only).

PSVR vs PCVR
obviously it is not the ideal comparison but such is the nature of the game it would be quite the task to get both on the same planet.
If i am honest i am blown away with it on PSVR (i have not played it myself mind you) but I never thought a vanilla PS4 could have managed it and it has.............

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5LyfG2E0-A

Nice vid.

Not going to buy PSVR in its current form tbh... the lack of resolution would (read: will) give me a headache.

PS5 is just around the corner, and there will be new VR gubbins surrounding that I'm sure. So I'll wait. I have Oculus anyway - but I've not played NMS in VR that much. The weather here in the UK has been too unseasonably warm to strap a headset to my face for any length of time.

The pop-in is still egregious on my PS4 Slim, especially when flying. I've had mountains materialize right in front of me out of thin air that I've had to avoid! I land somewhere and poof, trees and grass appear in front of me. While the game had pop-in before, it was never like this. It kinda feels like PS4 is bound and determined to give us high framerate no matter what the cost, which I get when playing in VR, but not on my nice 2D screen. I'd rather have occasional dips in fps than this extreme pop-in.

The pop-in is still egregious on my PS4 Slim, especially when flying. I've had mountains materialize right in front of me out of thin air that I've had to avoid! I land somewhere and poof, trees and grass appear in front of me. While the game had pop-in before, it was never like this. It kinda feels like PS4 is bound and determined to give us high framerate no matter what the cost, which I get when playing in VR, but not on my nice 2D screen. I'd rather have occasional dips in fps than this extreme pop-in.

If it makes you feel any better about it, it's not any better on PS4 Pro either. Nor on my uber PC (without mods).

Hopefully they will add some options to tweak it in an update. I think quite a few people have complained about it, so it's possible I guess. PC mods show that the engine can handle it, if your hardware can. It's just been dialled right back for this update... probably to meet PSVR requirements. :(

I get it and forgive it on consoles.... with a total known entity on the hardware it makes sense for the developers to make it the best they can on that hardware, they know the machine and they know their code and given one of the advantages of console over pc is simplicity to get into a game and know it is running the best as it can be for the developers vision.

What is unforgivable however is to use the same logic on PC where some people have monster rigs and some potatoes.
PC users are used to having settings to allow them to customise to make the best use of their hardware they can. Developers cant do this for us as they will never know exactly what hardware we have, as such detail levels, and draw distance sliders are meat and potato basic settings which should be in all PC games imo. (where it does not break the engine to do so)

I don't know if it's a new thing for Beyond or whether it existed in NEXT, but in the NMS video options the PS4 version now gives the option to disable the frame rate lock, which I don't think you could do in earlier versions. I have found the performance (on my standard PS4) to be slightly better with it disabled. It's still not fantastic but seems better than with the lock on.

Top Bottom