This game is infuriating at times. Yesterday I traveled 30 mins to the new horizons probe in Sol and was carrying an AI relic, anyway I dropped it near the probe for no other reason than "reasons" and instantly a search and rescue ship dropped in, fired a limpet out, nicked it and started to jump out. I obviously shot at it and was carrying hatch breakers so fired some out which instantly spawned a couple of system security.

I obviously lost the relic, it's such a stupid "breaking" mechanic having ships appear out of no where, 3million LS away from the star.
That's hilarious and infuriating all at the same time! Sad you lost a relic :(

This game is infuriating at times. Yesterday I traveled 30 mins to the new horizons probe in Sol and was carrying an AI relic, anyway I dropped it near the probe for no other reason than "reasons" and instantly a search and rescue ship dropped in, fired a limpet out, nicked it and started to jump out. I obviously shot at it and was carrying hatch breakers so fired some out which instantly spawned a couple of system security.

I obviously lost the relic, it's such a stupid "breaking" mechanic having ships appear out of no where, 3million LS away from the star.
So the AI was saved by Search and Rescue.... like they save commanders in escape pods. Wonder if it sent a signal? Have you been mistreating your AI Relics? Forcing them mine for your fleet carrier?

So the AI was saved by Search and Rescue.... like they save commanders in escape pods. Wonder if it sent a signal? Have you been mistreating your AI Relics? Forcing them mine for your fleet carrier?
It wishes, it's been made to do far worse! The nights are long and lonely when all you can see is stars...

That's hilarious and infuriating all at the same time! Sad you lost a relic :(

I went and got some more :)

Last edited:
New Mattius video is a pretty solid essay summarizing almost everything we know on Raxxla and the search along with some opinions a fair few of us may share or be interested in. It might be a good addition to the first page for faster catching up? 🤷‍♂️

Source: https://youtu.be/1Nuc_hEad34

Really the whole series is essential viewing imo but you all can decide for yourselves
Agreed, this is where my current assumptions have led me, narrative driven, not actually accessible... if correct, it’s disappointing. I would go further (as I’ve hypothesised previously) and say that FD scrubbed the Dark Wheel mission and Raxxla, and rewrote their narrative circa 2017 incorporating them into the wider narrative, either because they were broken, or FD noticed how much interest it stirred up. Again this is just reading between the lines, we have no actual solid evidence, analysis of competing hypotheses has led me to this current assumption, I hope it’s currently accessible, but it would fit with FD modus operandi to do it this way sad to say, I hope to be wrong.

Last edited:
It does seem the pre release lore bible has been chucked out the window wholesale, and much of what was planned lore/storywise will never come to fruition. However, I suspect stuff that got added in the early years is still there. (if it is broken or bugged is another issue entirely.) It seems unlikely that MB would move on before Raxxla was sorted in at least a place holder fashion. MB used spreadsheets to do the real star catalog import stuff, and presumably spreadsheets were used to build the raxxla puzzle. If Raxxla could also be solved with spreadsheets it would constrain the problem considerably.

Many of the early puzzles were either sound, orbital mech, or vector based. The vector and orbital mech puzzles can at least in principle be handled in a spreadsheet.

Looking back at galnet from the early days with new eyes may give us the breadcrumbs we need.

Am I the only one that noticed the similarity, or am I seeing things that aren't there?
elite-dangerous-raxxla-logo-png.128118
20210509003203_1.jpg

and say that FD scrubbed the Dark Wheel mission and Raxxla, and rewrote their narrative circa 2017 incorporating them into the wider narrative, either because they were broken, or FD noticed how much interest it stirred up

The other alternative is that they postponed it or lengthened the story because they didnt think it was good enough.

I still dont get why they withdrew the DW missions though, they didnt go anywhere and didnt need to, they just provided more tinfoil and obfuscation and how could that be 'wrong' as such?

Am I the only one that noticed the similarity, or am I seeing things that aren't there?

Its been noticed but whether its deliberate misdirection, obfuscation or a hint towards something is unknown.

Adamastor - https://www.portugalconnexions.com/blog/o-gigante-adamastor

OK trying to re-think things from a different perspective, keeping things simpler and linking them back to existing information.

So the reference of the Adamastor got me thinking, what is the relationship between the Adamastor and the Hesperus?

Back to Greek mythology (sorry) so the story goes that Cronus or Kronos a Titan, was sired by Uranus (Father Sky) and Gaia (Mother Earth).

Parents grief = loss of children. Rhea & Cronos.

Rhea was the wife/sister of Cronus, who created the Omphalos stone, to trick Cronus who was eating their children. This Omphalos stone was later deposited at Delphi, at the location of the corpse of Pytho (or Delphyne same dragon alternative name), described as a rift.

The Omphalos rift

MB references Cronos in his Drabble blogs...

The Adamastor is a fictional (not mythical) Gigantes (giant), who is another offspring of Gaia and Uranus; born after Cronus castrates Uranus (their farther) and throws his gubbins in the sea.

Adamastor is also a potential link to the MB tattoo...

Adamastor was in love with the sea nymph Thetis, but was spurned because Adamastor didn’t scrub up too well.

Lovers woe = being spurned. Adamastor and Thetis.Delphi, Adamastor and Thetis; all are known locations in game.

Thetis is also known as a daughter of Hesperus.

So now we have the ship the Hesperus, also linked regards to parents grief, as the ship’s captain lost his daughter in the wreck...but it also relates to the evening star, and the daughters or nymphs of Hesperus / The Garden of the Hesperides.

Hesperides can also be linked to a grove, commonly misinterpreted as Arcadia via Philip Sidney?

“confusion of the Garden of the Hesperides with an equally idyllic Arcadia is a modern one, conflating Sir Philip Sidney's "Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia"

So is this the link between the Adamastor and the Hesperus?

The generation ship Thetis?

The generation ship Thetis itself had a run in with that weird ‘kill everyone’ signal...hundreds of years ago.

Not sure if anyone has come to the same simple conclusion, maybe my Greek is not up to scratch, but it seems odd.

Last edited:

OK trying to re-think things from a different perspective, keeping things simpler and linking them back to existing information.

So the reference of the Adamastor got me thinking, what is the relationship between the Adamastor and the Hesperus?

Back to Greek mythology (sorry) so the story goes that Cronus or Kronos a Titan, was sired by Uranus (Father Sky) and Gaia (Mother Earth).

Rhea was the wife/sister of Cronus, who created the Omphalos stone, to trick Cronus who was eating their children. This Omphalos stone was later deposited at Delphi, at the location of the corpse of Pytho, described as a rift.

The Omphalos rift

The Adamastor is a fictional (not mythical) Gigantes (giant), who is another offspring of Gaia and Uranus; born after Cronus castrates Uranus (their farther) and throws his gubbins in the sea.

Adamastor was in love with the sea nymph Thetis, but was spurned because Adamastor didn’t scrub up too well.

Lovers woe = being spurned. Adamastor and Thetis.Delphi, Adamastor and Thetis; all are known locations in game.

Thetis was a also known a daughter of Hesperus.

So now we have the ship the Hesperus, also linked regards to parents grief, as the ship’s captain lost his daughter in the wreck...but it also relates to the evening star, and the daughters or nymphs of Hesperus / The Garden of the Hesperides.

Hesperides can also be linked to a grove, commonly misinterpreted as Arcadia via Philip Sidney?

“confusion of the Garden of the Hesperides with an equally idyllic Arcadia is a modern one, conflating Sir Philip Sidney's "Countess of Pembroke's Arcadia"

The generation ship Thetis itself had a run in with that weird ‘kill everyone’ signal...hundreds of years ago.

Not sure if anyone has come to the same simple conclusion, maybe my Greek is not up to scratch, but it seems odd.
Definitely ended up in the exact same place following the same reasoning (partly because my mind always takes me back to Thetis). I honestly don't know what to do with it though, except wait :(
Any ideas for a path forward?

Honestly don’t know, not in game to test, if it’s a narrative based puzzle, we won’t find anything until FD wants us to, however if these locations are part of some larger map, and the distancing and angles of alignment are accurately equal, then they can be compared against each other.

If equal then any additional points to the map (if a map at all) can be calculated, depending upon if it’s some esoteric shape, but in theory any location can be triangulated... wishful thinking.

But if narrative driven it’s all probably popicock, because it’s all likely meaningless and whatever is at the end of it, isn’t there until FD inject it...

Which is probably why we tin foil, as the fantastical alternatives are far more alluring then such a reality.

Last edited:

Rhea was the wife/sister of Cronus, who created the Omphalos stone, to trick Cronus who was eating their children. This Omphalos stone was later deposited at Delphi, at the location of the corpse of Pytho, described as a rift.

The Omphalos rift

Interesting. Since the Arthur Tomlie comment in the Grinning_Crow interview (at 1:56:38, “WRT the Hesperus & Adamastor story, the names were chosen for a specific reason but not necessarily related to shipwrecks”) I’ve been pondering the naming but have not come up with anything. But then Im not into mythology.

Though I’m suspicious of a link through the “Alleged DW toast”, since that is clearly relevant to the DW and (possibly) Raxxla, so I feel linking it to these ship names is a step in the wrong direction. And also sceptical of the Thetis megaship link, unless you’re implying that the mysterious message came from a scavenger ship that wanted all Thetis inhabitants dead so they could salvage it-I think that would make sense with the new scavenger storyline (I dont think the scavengers are going to be friendly!), but dont accept the reasoning to get to that conclusion. Also Thetis wasn’t scavenged!

Last edited:

The Omphalos rift

There is probably a little bit of Raxxla hidden somewhere in all the mythology references.

I do however think that there is a general connection between ancient history in the ED galaxy and the basic Greek creation myth.
https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/The_Myths/The_Creation/the_creation.html (read this if you want the rest of the post to make any sense 😁 )

I suspect that the creation myth is the story told by the exiled Guardians (those with AI implants) or just the AI, to early humans. These humans have interpreted and retold the story with their limited understanding, leaving us with the myths we have today.

I interpret the roles as follows:

• Gaia is the symbol of terrestrial planets, giving life to all creatures.
  • Uranus is space, surrounding Gaia on all sides.

- Gaia and Uranus had children: Cyclopes (Thargoids), Hecatoncheires (other Thargoids?) and Titans (Guardians). Mean Uranus had them all confined to Gaia. They could not do space travel.

- Gaia helps the Titans concur space. They defeat Uranus and som other creatures emerge (Brain trees and other vacuum creatures?).

- Titan leader Cronus (Guardian), imprisons Cyclopes and Hecatoncheires (Thargoids) in Tartarus (somewhere in space).

- Cronus and Rhea gives birth to the next generation, the gods / Olympians (AI implanted Guardians). These are eaten by Cronus. This could be a symbol of how the AI were forced to exist as implants to Guardians or locked in the monolith network or the exile of the implanted Guardians.

- Rhea manages to hide Zeus by giving Cronus the Omphalos stone(Raxxla link?), in his place.

- Zeus poisons Cronus and makes him vomit up the rest of the Olympians. This is probably the exodus of the implanted Guardian / AI hybrids.

- There is a civil war. The Titans (Guardians) are winning. Zeus goes to Tartarus (using Raxxla?) and releases the Cyclopes and Hecatoncheires (Thargoids). Zeus receives the thunder bolt(powerful weapon), Poseidon the trident(terraforming tech) and Hades the helmet of invincibility (cloaking) as thank you from the Cyclopes (goids).

- The Titans are trapped and bombed by the boulders of the hundred handed Hecatoncheires. Zeus wins and sends the Titans to Tartarus.

- Gaia is miffed and sends her las child, the Typhoon (Kalxian?) to attack him. Zeus wins and buries Typoon. Typhoon will at some point return.

FD uses the symbolism from the old myths, to give obscure hints about the past of the Galaxy. Raxxla probably is part of this, but everything isn't about Raxxla.

What an interpretation like this can give us, is a sense of geography. The Guardians are in game refered to as 'The Dead'. Their home sector(Regor) can then possibly be interpreted as Hades. Olympos should then be in the opposite direction and Tartarus should be as far below Hades as Earth is below Olympos.

Been googling wikipedia and other sources about Adamastor and Hesperus to see what might be common to them both (not yet read Han_Zen’s post above).

Hesperus
The wreck of the Hesperus was a poem by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow about a schooner wrecked on “the reef of Norman's Woe” due to the captains arrogance about the forces of nature.

The actual Hesperus was a schooner which was seriously damaged while docked in Boston during a storm.

a 1927 Cecil B DeMille American silent film based on the poem.

A 1948 film directed by John Hoffman

A painting by Sir John Gilbert RA

Wreck of the Hesperus is the name of an Irish doom/drone metal band.

The Pleasure Island amusement park in Wakefield, Massachusetts (1958–1970), 18 miles south-west of the site where the fictional Hesperus sank, featured a ride named "The Wreck of the Hesperus".

In Greek Hesperos, also called Vesper ("evening", "supper", "evening star", "west"), in Greco-Roman mythology, the evening star; although initially considered to be the son of Eos (the Dawn) and the Titan Astraeus, he was later said to be the son or brother of Atlas. ‘Hesperus' refers to the same object (planet Venus) as 'Phosphorus'. Phosphorus was the personification of the Morning Star in Greek mythology. Lucifer was the Latin name for the Morning Star.

Of American-English origin, the phrase “like the wreck of the Hesperus” means in a sad state, or, merely, dishevelled.

Adamastor
The name Adamastor is an adaptation for the Portuguese language from the Greek word for "Untamed" or "Untameable" (Adamastos)

Adamastor is a mythological character created by the poet Luis de Camões in hispoem Os Lusíadas (first printed in 1572), as a personification of the Cape of Good Hope (aka Cabo das Tormentas, Cape of Storms), symbolizing the dangers of the sea and the formidable forces of nature. Adamastor manifests itself out of a storm.
Camões gave his creation a backstory as one of the Giants of Greek mythology, banished to the Cape of Good Hope by sea goddess Doris for falling in love with her daughter Tethis, now appearing out of a storm cloud and threatening to ruin anyone hardy enough to attempt passing the Cape and penetrate the Indian Ocean, which was Adamastor's domain. Adamastor became the spirit of the Cape of Good Hope, a hideous phantom of unearthly pallor.
Adamastor featured in various other poems, novels, and the opera L’Africaine, and perhaps more familiarly in The Phantom of The Opera (by Gaston Leroux) and in Billy Budd, Sailor (by Herman Melville, who also wrote Moby ; see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Budd)

A popular gathering place in Lisbon is known by the name 'Adamastor' because of the large stone statue of the mythical figure which presides over the space, which is officially called the Miradouro de Santa Catarina.

We should not forget that Michael Brookes had a very striking & complex tattoo which featured the evil looking figure above the Triton Gate at the Pena National Palace in Sintra, Portugal, which may (unconfirmed as far as I know) be Adamastor.
Adamastor is also the name of a sauropod dinosaur found in Angola (surelynot marketing for Jurassic World Evolution!)

Common factors? between these two names as I see are:

Based on poems edit: might be worth research, e.g. other poems by these poets?

Represent the untameable force of nature, especially of the sea

Arrogance of sailors

Both mythological figures (Adamastor & Lucifer?) feature in MB’s tattoo?

Rochestor has already addressed greek myth links so I didn't chase that viewpoint

Last edited:
There is probably a little bit of Raxxla hidden somewhere in all the mythology references.

I do however think that there is a general connection between ancient history in the ED galaxy and the basic Greek creation myth.
https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/The_Myths/The_Creation/the_creation.html (read this if you want the rest of the post to make any sense 😁 )

I suspect that the creation myth is the story told by the exiled Guardians (those with AI implants) or just the AI, to early humans. These humans have interpreted and retold the story with their limited understanding, leaving us with the myths we have today.

I interpret the roles as follows:

• Gaia is the symbol of terrestrial planets, giving life to all creatures.
  • Uranus is space, surrounding Gaia on all sides.

- Gaia and Uranus had children: Cyclopes (Thargoids), Hecatoncheires (other Thargoids?) and Titans (Guardians). Mean Uranus had them all confined to Gaia. They could not do space travel.

- Gaia helps the Titans concur space. They defeat Uranus and som other creatures emerge (Brain trees and other vacuum creatures?).

- Titan leader Cronus (Guardian), imprisons Cyclopes and Hecatoncheires (Thargoids) in Tartarus (somewhere in space).

- Cronus and Rhea gives birth to the next generation, the gods / Olympians (AI implanted Guardians). These are eaten by Cronus. This could be a symbol of how the AI were forced to exist as implants to Guardians or locked in the monolith network or the exile of the implanted Guardians.

- Rhea manages to hide Zeus by giving Cronus the Omphalos stone(Raxxla link?), in his place.

- Zeus poisons Cronus and makes him vomit up the rest of the Olympians. This is probably the exodus of the implanted Guardian / AI hybrids.

- There is a civil war. The Titans (Guardians) are winning. Zeus goes to Tartarus (using Raxxla?) and releases the Cyclopes and Hecatoncheires (Thargoids). Zeus receives the thunder bolt(powerful weapon), Poseidon the trident(terraforming tech) and Hades the helmet of invincibility (cloaking) as thank you from the Cyclopes (goids).

- The Titans are trapped and bombed by the boulders of the hundred handed Hecatoncheires. Zeus wins and sends the Titans to Tartarus.

- Gaia is miffed and sends her las child, the Typhoon (Kalxian?) to attack him. Zeus wins and buries Typoon. Typhoon will at some point return.

FD uses the symbolism from the old myths, to give obscure hints about the past of the Galaxy. Raxxla probably is part of this, but everything isn't about Raxxla.

What an interpretation like this can give us, is a sense of geography. The Guardians are in game refered to as 'The Dead'. Their home sector(Regor) can then possibly be interpreted as Hades. Olympos should then be in the opposite direction and Tartarus should be as far below Hades as Earth is below Olympos.
I like the hypothesis of greek creation myth being based on a distortion of the Guardians/AI story. Still think Raxxla is likely to be in Sol and one of the three Guardian ark ships.

The Guardian monolith network as Tartarus?

Had to smile at “ It is unclear as to what happened to Uranus afterward; he either died, withdrew from the earth, or exiled himself to Italy” https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/The_Myths/The_Creation/the_creation.html
I had many business trips to Genoa! 😉

Doesnt actually address the naming puzzle behind Adamastor & Hesperus.

Dont think Typhon could be the Klaxians since they are supposedly just another clan/species of Thargoid; more likely something even worse locked away in one of the areas out at Bovomit or towards Beagle Point. Might be worth comparing your hypothesis against the permit locked locations?

Incidentally, something from my Hesperus Adamastor comparison above triggered a thought! (Happens occasionally!)

A painting by Sir John Gilbert RA

RAXXLA
If you google XXL as a roman numeral it does say it indicates 30 (it’s a new interpretation to me, always thought that was XXX!)
RA=Royal Academy?
Painting #30 in the Royal Academy is www.royalacademy.org.uk/art-artists/work-of-art/no-30
by Sir Christopher Le Brun

Can anyone make sense out of of this? 🧐
It’s about as meaningful to me as the Raxxla logo!!! 😱

Last edited:
I like the hypothesis of greek creation myth being based on a distortion of the Guardians/AI story. Still think Raxxla is likely to be in Sol and one of the three Guardian ark ships.

The Guardian monolith network as Tartarus?

Had to smile at “ It is unclear as to what happened to Uranus afterward; he either died, withdrew from the earth, or exiled himself to Italy” https://www.greekmythology.com/Myths/The_Myths/The_Creation/the_creation.html
I had many business trips to Genoa! 😉

Doesnt actually address the naming puzzle behind Adamastor & Hesperus.

Dont think Typhon could be the Klaxians since they are supposedly just another clan/species of Thargoid; more likely something even worse locked away in one of the areas out at Bovomit or towards Beagle Point. Might be worth comparing your hypothesis against the permit locked locations?
I was definitely considering Bovomit as a possible Tartarus. There could be a few places that needs to be identified, to find the axis of the Raxxla logo. I'm not sure if that one is flat or 3D. Not sure if Sol is a the centre either.
I'll probably try to make a 3D plot and see if anything converges. 🤷‍♂️

The Neptune Axis is interesting. It has a north pole of RA 19h 57m 20s DEC 42.950°. That should give a south pole of RA 7h 57m 20s DEC -42.950°. That line hits the Regor sector. It's also close to RA 20 (North).

Top Bottom