I wish I had screenshots of it but one or more INRA sites mentioned the phrase "science division" just below the main logo. When things calm down I have to do a second pass at the INRA sites to see if Intergalactic Naval Reserve Arm exists earlier than 3193 or are there differences on ones that required captured Thargoids for tests because that detail is important. I am working on more precise dating for first game but all indications point to sometime between 3174-3199 due to Lave being a dictatorship at that point (when Walden came to power). If so, the Thargoids disappeared for mere decades.

We really, really need to know when supercruise came about and if it was connected with one of the various INRAs. Venusian generation ship seems to indicate a much earlier origin of this technology.

1671345936561.png

This is the Tao Ceti Probe, is this what you looking for?

A cunning plan

Following on from the John Milton Conundrum; if we extrapolate along a trajectory starting from Pandemonium via Sol; but apply the John Milton equation of x 3; we identify Akras.

This is based upon the assumption where Milton identifies in Paradise Lost, the distance from Hells gate to the gate of Heaven as being 3 times the radius (or mini diameters) of the celestial sphere.

If we accept Pandemonium as the Celestial South Pole, and Sol as the axis, if this calculation is correct, based upon the distance from Sol to Pandemonium, this ought to place the Celestial North Pole at: -68.3125 / 228.0625 / -91.9375 = Akras. *established now as incorrect.

Äkräs (also Ägröi, Egres) is a Finnish god of fertility and the turnip, the protector of beans, peas, cabbage!

Based upon its absurd naming it’s highly unlikely that Akras is the intended Celestial North Pole. I was there last night, twas a dull place of no importance. This draws attention to the assumption that Sol, is not the true Axis or that the distance attributed is incorrect.

It may also be, that FD are not aware of this John Milton calculation or it has been misinterpreted by this Cmdr.

There is also the issue that this concept is reliant upon the existence of a Milton sphere of influence, for this I’ve utilised Pandemonium to determine the distance; it cannot be Achenar (2296) which would seem the logical choice, but Achenar is actually further away than Pandemonium.

If following the Milton universe exactly then the Crystalline Sphere would not contain Pandemonium, which ought to be at least 1 radius aware from Sol…so this is primarily an assumption.

The prevalence of the Yggdrasil system and Norse runes systems does open this up to a much wider context. On they’re own they hold little relevance other than assisting to denote the diameter of the Milton mobile, therefore it either identifies there is no Celestial North Pole, or that a Yggdrasil system is being utilised as the primary axis, or Raxxla is shaped like a turnip.

Of course if not a turnip, then at least we have a Celestial pole, if FD are following the logic attributed to Miltons model universe then all one needs do is follow it upwards…

A91E2E1E-7BEE-40BF-B156-C3C5779D8C52.jpeg

Last edited:
A cunning plan

Following on from the John Milton Conundrum; if we extrapolate along a trajectory starting from Pandemonium via Sol; but apply the John Milton equation of x 3; we identify Akras.

This is based upon the assumption where Milton identifies in Paradise Lost, the distance from Hells gate to the gate of Heaven as being 3 times the radius (or mini diameters) of the celestial sphere.

If we accept Pandemonium as the Celestial South Pole, and Sol as the axis, if this calculation is correct, based upon the distance from Sol to Pandemonium, this ought to place the Celestial North Pole at: -68.3125 / 228.0625 / -91.9375 = Akras.

Äkräs (also Ägröi, Egres) is a Finnish god of fertility and the turnip, the protector of beans, peas, cabbage!

Based upon its absurd naming it’s highly unlikely that Akras is the intended Celestial North Pole. This draws attention to the assumption that Sol, is not the true Axis or that the distance attributed is incorrect.

It may also be, that FD are not aware of this John Milton calculation or it has been misinterpreted by this Cmdr.

The prevalence of the Yggdrasil system and Norse runes systems does open this up to a much wider context. On its own they hold little relevance other than assisting to denote the diameter of the Milton mobile, therefore it either identifies there is no Celestial North Pole, or that a Yggdrasil system is being utilised as the primary axis, or Raxxla is shaped like a turnip.

View attachment 338343
You've finally entered your Turnip phase XD

How much would your theory change if Sirius was the axis?

I've been doing a lot of work on trying to reconstruct the narrative 'backstory' using the bits we know, and Sirius is - as we all know - a stupendously large player in galactic history.

You've finally entered your Turnip phase XD

How much would your theory change if Sirius was the axis?

I've been doing a lot of work on trying to reconstruct the narrative 'backstory' using the bits we know, and Sirius is - as we all know - a stupendously large player in galactic history.
The theory works by knowing the axis, then the boundary of the ‘crystalline sphere’ (our universe by Miltons abstract concept); Pandemonium is the Celestial South Pole. Which sits outside this sphere below ‘Chaos’. It’s effectively 2 spheres one within the other.

If you know the diameter of the Crystalline Sphere then you know its radius. Pandemonium ought to be at least 1 radius away from the outer rim of the sphere; the gate of heaven ought to be x3 this distance from Pandemonium. *edit this is now known to be incorrect, this distance should be attributed from the centre eg Sol.

At present we don’t know where this Crystalline Sphere extends, I’m presuming it’s Achenar via the attribution of 2296 as a clue to a sphere of influence.

But Pandemonium is closer than Achenar which technically places it inside the sphere.

Technically it’s irrelevant as if FD were to utilise this theory then technically you don’t need to know where this hypothetical boundary is; all one needs do actually is follow the celestial pole upwards… that if it’s on the pole, it might not be…

Milton’s text is vague it that relationship, it’s very abstract, and some place these points of interest ’just off’ the pole so it could be anywhere really!

And of course this theory falls down fast as it’s 100% reliant on Milton, it’s highly likely if true it’s more likely to be an archeological artefact, of either a half completed concept, or nerfed narrative… or only partially reliant on Milton… the rest could be Lovecraft etc it’s only part of the puzzle; so all in all very likely just Space-Madness!

*bell rings

It might be a location at an equal distance between Pandemonium and Sol; mathematically that ought to be the boundary of the Crystalline sphere!

A midpoint is the exact center point between two defined points. To find this center point, midpoint formula is applied. In 3-dimensional space, the midpoint between an example (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z1) is (x1+x2 )/2,(y1+y2 )/2,(z1+z2 )/2

Resolving to = 17.078125, -57.015625, 22.984375

Extrapolating that you get: -17.078125 / 57.015625 / -22.984375 = LHS 2522…as Heaven’s gate!

Obviously utter nonsense, I prefer the Turnip idea…

6098AD2A-5F37-49D2-93B4-FA18993EB8BA.gif

Last edited:
We really, really need to know when supercruise came about and if it was connected with one of the various INRAs. Venusian generation ship seems to indicate a much earlier origin of this technology.

The Venusian logs specifically say this:
Two small ships of unknown designation were briefly caught on sensors until they initiated supercruise and disappeared.

The Venusian didn't have Supercruise, the ships attacking it did. Some Gen ships do know about "outside society" and choose not to get involved. The Golconda and dredgers taught us that. There's no reason at all that the Venusian wasn't fully aware of "the outside world" and all the advancements in drive technology.

Supercruise is a function of FSD, and we know that FSD became publicly available around 3290. Galnet source. As far as I'm aware Supercruise and FSD are synonymous and therefore the Venusian logs must date from post 3290. Problem solved.

I'm not saying there hasn't been a mass conspiracy (we know there has been at least one), but I'm not sure this is a smoking gun for another one :)

The Venusian logs specifically say this:

The Venusian didn't have Supercruise, the ships attacking it did. Some Gen ships do know about "outside society" and choose not to get involved. The Golconda and dredgers taught us that. There's no reason at all that the Venusian wasn't fully aware of "the outside world" and all the advancements in drive technology.

Supercruise is a function of FSD, and we know that FSD became publicly available around 3290. Galnet source. As far as I'm aware Supercruise and FSD are synonymous and therefore the Venusian logs must date from post 3290. Problem solved.

I'm not saying there hasn't been a mass conspiracy (we know there has been at least one), but I'm not sure this is a smoking gun for another one :)
I never said Venusian had supercruise. I actually had highlighted there is a journal from First Encounters implicating the oldest of the INRAs, Imperial Navy Research Arm. Now are Bubble ships Imperial-speak for generation ships? Or did this happen right at the end of generation ship era. Casimir drives are linked to Bubble ships. Regardless, it seems the that Feds and Imperials were working together to destroy colony ships. The speed matching part of the journal is what makes me think this is supercruise.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    268.4 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
I never said Venusian had supercruise. I actually had highlighted there is a journal from First Encounters implicating the oldest of the INRAs, Imperial Navy Research Arm. Now are Bubble ships Imperial-speak for generation ships? Or did this happen right at the end of generation ship era. Casimir drives are linked to Bubble ships. Regardless, it seems the that Feds and Imperials we're working together to destroy colony ships.
If you're using FFE lore, then you're on your own I'm afraid :)

The a few pages ago. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-10032351
But rather to brute force whit all known Systems, brute force whit only the ones from this tread may make it doable in the lifetime of our universe
Brute force doesn't necessarily mean to attack the problem by using 7 nested loops.
A slightly faster algorithm for the problem "find 7 systems that form a 3D-cross" may look like this:
1) Iterate i1 over all known systems in region of interest
2) Iterate i2 over all known systems in region of interest, where i2 > i1 (to test each pair only once)
3) Calc the point "goal" in the middle between systems[i1] and systems[i2].
Iterate i3 over all systems that could be close.
Use grid or octree to limit the search for systems in the vicinity of point "goal".
If any systems are within distance tolerance of goal, remember each triple formed by systems[i1], systems[i2] and 1 system more-or-less in the middle between the two.
4) After you have collected all such triples, you search all triples for sets of 3 triples that share the same system in the middle.
5) For each result, you check if the 3 triples form a cross (meaning angles of 90 degrees +/- tolerance).

If you're using FFE lore, then you're on your own I'm afraid :)
Relax, it's only the Terry Pratchett approach to problem solving:
"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."

I have already proven it was one continuous Universe. Earth is in the lore of every single game at minimum. Even the Codex states Lakon Spaceways is from Sol originally. The modern version of the oldest ship is the Type-6 Transporter (originally known just as Transporter in the first game). Even Lavian Brandy is made in Oak barrels from Earth per in-game description. The naming scheme is really a trivial difference and I have found pretty much all the major lore systems in Elite Dangerous. It is fair game for explaining away quirks in the lore as far as I can tell. By the way, the Earth being present in all games is an absolute requirement for Holdstock version of Raxxla to be real. We're pretty much down to locating where that take leads us. Soontill being a cover story is the other requirement.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-213317~2.png
    Screenshot_20221009-213317~2.png
    115.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
A variety of different canons approach consistency and story in different ways.

Comic books retcon all the time. It is an accepted part of the fiction. New artist, new writer, some continuance applied, but scratch a little over time and it starts to raise questions.

Early (Earlier) Star Trek straight up states that most of the novels are not canon.

Disney made a massive decision to discard a huge amount of Star Wars fiction, creating the Legends branding specifically for them, but they remain a source of inspiration for further work.

Similarly, the MCU regularly uses the comic book lines as a starting point for new stories in the film series.

Doctor Who tries really hard, but some fans know more about the canon than the showrunners.

James Bond lost me as a fan when we got to Skyfall. The moment that 'James Bond' became the character's actual name meant I couldn't reconcile the actor change as an in fiction narrative choice. This combined with Judi Dench as 'M' for two Bonds, Brosnan and Craig, created a problem that broke my ability to enjoy the series.

So, the Elite Dangerous narrative.

The game is the primary text. Any official text endorsed as being official, derives from the game. The game is the main source.

Previous games should be viewed through the current game first. So, any valid links and connections will appear in E: D. If they are connected to anything else (Frontier: Elite 2) that's great, but you can't substitute Frontier: Elite 2 as a primary text because it isn't.

If you scratch at the narrative of Elite Dangerous looking to see a consistent timeline and background through the lore of all the games, interchanging the primary text as you do so, you'll find anomalies. The temptation is to creatively reconcile them, but recognise that by doing that, you're creating your own canon, not anyone else's.

My advice is to accept that Elite Dangerous is the primary text. Once I do, then seeing links from previous sources (for me) becomes a pleasurable experience in nostalgia. It also allows for the changes that have been made to not become a jarring issue for me when following ideas in that narrative.

The problem here is Frontier did not. The Codex is actually got my back that everything is canon. This is the in-game description of Lavian Brandy:

A highly valued liquor from the old world of Lave. Using ancient breeds of grains grown in its tropical climate under a permit from the government, the distillate is kept in old Earth oak barrels and held in an orbital maturing facility for decades to achieve maximum richness.

This rare good is legal in all systems except for Prison Colony systems and Federal and Alliance Theocracy systems.

Cheers!

I have already proven it was one continuous Universe. Earth is in the lore of every single game at minimum. Even the Codex states Lakon Spaceways is from Sol originally. The modern version of the oldest ship is the Type-6 Transporter (originally known just as Transporter in the first game). Even Lavian Brandy is made in Oak barrels from Earth per in-game description. The naming scheme is really a trivial difference and I have found pretty much all the major lore systems in Elite Dangerous. It is fair game for explaining away quirks in the lore as far as I can tell.
If you'd like to work on something that's been puzzling me a lot, and may actually fall into your area of expertise, consider this very strange mystery:

Why were the Generations ships made at all? and how did Earth send out 70,000 of them!?!?!

It was less than 30 years between the first gen ship launch (2097) and the development of FTL (2130). We're told that 70,000 gen ships were launched from Earth. Presumably few/no gen ships were launched much after 2130 (why would anyone invest in a gen ship when FTL was proven).

• That means we have something like 6 Gen ships launched every singe day between 2097 and 2130.
  • Even if you assume that Gen ships were still made and launched for 30 years after FTL was discovered, then you're talking about 3 Gen ships per day, every day, for 60 years - that's still absolutely insane numbers.
  • Even if you extend this timeline and say that Gen ships were used for 100 full years after FTL was developed, then you're talking about something like 1.5 generation ship launched per day, every day, for a hundred and thirty years.

Imagine that. Imagine the insanely huge material, technical, and humanitarian industry that would go into making and launching ships capable of supporting thousands of people for dozens or hundreds of generations - every single day of the year for at least decades using basically the same tech we have today. Just shuttling up thousands of people from Earth and getting them to the Gen ship, how many space-launches is that? hundreds, maybe thousands of launches from Earth every single day for decades.

Michael Brooks said the gen ships used tech that's basically what we have now (in 2022, (or rather 2015)), though he includes fusion torches in that list. So we're not talking super-sci-fi space tech at this point. We're saying that these insanely massive construction projects were made with basically the same tech we're using to make Artemis and SpaceX stuff now.

I can't figure out:

a) Why this many generation ships were launched at all.
b) Where the resources and funding for these gen ships came from in post WW3 Earth.

My assumption... is that something in history around the end of the 21st Century was the 'reason' for what seems to have been a desperate mass evacuation of the Sol system (not just Earth, but the entire Sol system, since a gen ship is a self-sustaining space station, if it was just that Earth was dying they could easily just go into orbit or colonise the other bodies in Sol, no need to go interstellar at all.)

Thoughts?

If you'd like to work on something that's been puzzling me a lot, and may actually fall into your area of expertise, consider this very strange mystery:

Why were the Generations ships made at all? and how did Earth send out 70,000 of them!?!?!

It was less than 30 years between the first gen ship launch (2097) and the development of FTL (2130). We're told that 70,000 gen ships were launched from Earth. Presumably few/no gen ships were launched much after 2130 (why would anyone invest in a gen ship when FTL was proven).

• That means we have something like 6 Gen ships launched every singe day between 2097 and 2130.
  • Even if you assume that Gen ships were still made and launched for 30 years after FTL was discovered, then you're talking about 3 Gen ships per day, every day, for 60 years - that's still absolutely insane numbers.
  • Even if you extend this timeline and say that Gen ships were used for 100 full years after FTL was developed, then you're talking about something like 1.5 generation ship launched per day, every day, for a hundred and thirty years.

Imagine that. Imagine the insanely huge material, technical, and humanitarian industry that would go into making and launching ships capable of supporting thousands of people for dozens or hundreds of generations - every single day of the year for at least decades using basically the same tech we have today. Just shuttling up thousands of people from Earth and getting them to the Gen ship, how many space-launches is that? hundreds, maybe thousands of launches from Earth every single day for decades.

Michael Brooks said the gen ships used tech that's basically what we have now (in 2022, (or rather 2015)), though he includes fusion torches in that list. So we're not talking super-sci-fi space tech at this point. We're saying that these insanely massive construction projects were made with basically the same tech we're using to make Artemis and SpaceX stuff now.

I can't figure out:

a) Why this many generation ships were launched at all.
b) Where the resources and funding for these gen ships came from in post WW3 Earth.

My assumption... is that something in history around the end of the 21st Century was the 'reason' for what seems to have been a desperate mass evacuation of the Sol system (not just Earth, but the entire Sol system, since a gen ship is a self-sustaining space station, if it was just that Earth was dying they could easily just go into orbit or colonise the other bodies in Sol, no need to go interstellar at all.)

Thoughts?
I saw something on here recently that said generation ships were being sent out until about 2400, and that hyperdrive was too unreliable for transporting people until around that time.

I think the link was a transcription of an interview with Michael Brookes.

70,000 still seems like a lot, but it definitely wasn't limited to as short a timespan as 33 years.

Your answer is what happened immediately following World War III. My document on the case against Salvation has the specifics but the population dropped rapidly. Real humans fled because what they didn't understand was the "people" that died were androids, cyborgs, and artificial intelligences. This is Mycoid. The Imperial Navy Research Arm later cures Jaques of a condition that attacked his non-human parts and that is where the Mycoid came from that was tested at Sohalia. The Club even then were already preparing for an eventual meeting with the Guardians. There must have been relics of theirs left on Earth.

From the Frontier gazetteer:

Steeped in history, the Earth has suffered many adversities before becoming the resort that it is today. Humanity began here and documented accounts tell of three planet-bound wars, the last one in 2040 almost bringing extinction due to the loss of life and environmental damage. For these reasons the landscape has changed beyond all recognition since then, mainly due to devastation and depopulation of nearly all the cities and towns. The final insult was a viral pandemic, for which no cure was found and many perished who were not resistant to it.

As the world was rebuilt corporations became more influential and the balance of power went in their favour. After the war, fierce competition between them made it possible for space to be conquered whereas previously, that was seen as unimportant and exploration budgets were cut.

As extra-terrestrial settlements were established industry was moved off the Earth along with many people. An intensive environmental rescue program saved the planet and it again became the beautiful place it once was. It became both a very up-market tourist destination and the Federation capital with only the extremely rich being able to live there. Many native extra-terrestrials aspire to visit their roots and save up for many years just to be able to say they have been to their ancestors' birthplace.

Heavy industry was moved here in the early days and it is based around the only starport. Apollonius city. This is another must for the tourist being the first city to be built on an airless surface. The majority of the settlement is subterranean and the vast halls like chasms are quite breathtaking. Many beat a path to the famous Museum of Humanity which has many rare exhibits from early space exploration, you will wonder how we managed to get where we are today!

From "..All that Glisters" on Jaques:

"I was due to be part of a standard POW exchange, but when the generals realised that I'd had Empire surgeons tinkering around inside me, they didn't want to know. The Federation were only just beginning to realise how far ahead the Empire was in genetic research and they were deathly afraid of letting in a latent plague. It had happened on one or two worlds before, so all returnees were put through quarantine. They reckoned I would need about twenty years before I was safe. Maybe they were right, I couldn't tell you, I just decided to stay in the Empire.

"It took a bit of bartering, I can tell you. The Federation still regarded me as their property, I was quite a high-tech device for the time. By this time Guvenour's peace had been negotiated and so technicians from the Federation could come and de-activate one or two nasty bits and pieces still inside me. All that remained was to figure out a price to let me go."

The man at the bar gave a bit of a start. "But you were a Federation citizen weren't you? There's no slavery in the Federation, so how could they sell you to the Empire?"

"Oh, they weren't trying to sell me to the Empire! They wanted to sell me back to me. Remember, I was one of the earliest successful cyborgs and they wanted to keep me in their pocket, official secrets and all that. But after Hell's Gate and the reconstruction work, it was hard to tell how much of me was left. Different experts and lawyers claimed that between about a pint or up to one quarter of my body was original organic, the rest was Federation or Empire tinkering. They made me pay for all the modifications!"

There was a sense of bitterness in the cyborg's delivery, and the man at the bar wondered what the cyborg had gone through at the time to make the memory so sour after all this time. He reached for his glass and noticed he had emptied it again. With a resigned gesture he asked for another. Jaques slid off to get a re-fill.

"So how did you end up here?" the man called after him.

"It turned out the Federation boys were pretty nearly right about the Empire doctoring." Jaques rotated his head through an impossible angle to answer while he continued pouring the beer. The man blinked and remembered that he had no idea how the cyborg was put together.

"Two years after leaving the POW camps, after the money side was settled, I needed some more genetic manipulation to fix a nasty disease. When I got the treatment, the Empire stung me for medical bills. It took me over a hundred years to work off the contracts to both Federation and Empire, piloting ships, cleaning reactors. Hazardous jobs which no whole human could deal with and no pure robot or android could handle either. Those days are gone now, thank goodness, not that I'm in any condition to do that sort of work any more."

Last edited:
I saw something on here recently that said generation ships were being sent out until about 2400, and that hyperdrive was too unreliable for transporting people until around that time.

I think the link was a transcription of an interview with Michael Brookes.

70,000 still seems like a lot, but it definitely wasn't limited to as short a timespan as 33 years.
That quote would be nice if you can find it. There's a lot of... creative interpretations using alternative lore sources here, so 2400 needs some backup.

I did the transcription of the interview with MB (others have too), the spoiler tag here is a repost from my notes (typing errors abound, beware!) because I cna't find my post on it where I'd corrected the typing errors!:

13:11
DJ: How much of other races other than the Thrgoids ... afftected the deelopment of the human race during the last thousand years. Is there anything we've not been really aware of..?
MB: We've been aware of an alien race for quite some time with the find on Mars back in the 22nd Century. I think it was, or the 21st..
DJ: It's when they first established the colony on mars sin't it, they find the fossil?
MB: So knowing that there's alien races out there isn't a new thing. The interesting thing with Thargoids ...
Discussion goes on to discuss how the majority of humanity didn't know about/care/believe in the First Thargoid War.
MB: many people aren't convinced it was actually a real thing.
DJ: See that shocks me, I mean alongside that there's the artefact that was fouhnd in space [MB: Yep] Now I know that nobody knows where it was from but do we know what it was, because all that we've got written in the timeline is "a relic".
MB (smiling heavily, nodding): Ahhh... certainly nothing that's ever been publically (field?) about it...
DJ (laughing): Fair enough, so we'll stick with 'relic'.

15:27
DJ: When was it humans first left Sol, do we have a date on it?
MB: We do, I'm going to refer to my notes for this, just so I get it right, So the first intersteallar colony was on Tau Ceti and that was in the 2150s.
DJ and MB Discuss the colony and the problems that happened there.
16:24
DJ: What propulsion were they using when they first left Sol?
MB: So back then it was mostly slower than light drives like ion prpulsion, so not too dissimilar to the technologies that NASA is using today, fusion torches but they tended to be for the very big ships like generation ships that could carry enough fuel to make them worthwhile, so something similar in mind to the Daedalus project with its deuterium pellets, and of course there were experimetns with hyperspace, but they varied in success, so they weren't considerd reliable enough for large transportation which is why the early transports used the colony ships.
DJ: This is something we often wornder about becaus they were sending probes through hyperspce [MB: Yep] quite soon after discovering it werent they? but it's a couple of hundred years before hyperspace use seems to become normal for human carrying craft
MB: Yeah hink that's simply safety factors. Obvious there were a few crazy people that were happy to jump in and make a jump but they tended to disappear or there would be some unknown accident or some trace of them would be found, so it's like with any technology, when you're at the forefront of it there's a bit of risk involved, especially if you're trying to translate accross lightyears of space.
DJ: ... This is one of the ones (holes) we'd discussed, why it is that there's that 200-odd year gap [MB: yep], and we'd assumed it was just trying to figure out how to send a human through safely, essentially.
MB: Well, its large numbers of humans, and the bigger the mass the more energy you need and you need to have efficient methods of actually producing enough energy to accutally do the jump.

This is what I mean - Michael has clearly put thought into it, and for whatever reason, decided that 70,000 generation ships is a reasonable number?!?!

He also doesn't comment here on DJ's comment about there being a "200 year gap" in the lore around that time - might be nothing, but... well it's weird.

If you read this Dev update from Michael Brooks, there's a lot of weird confusion here with dates:
Putting on my story hat for a moment the sharp eyed amongst you have noticed a story in GalNet about ‘The Missing’. In brief The Missing is an encompassing term for everyone who has disappeared without trace in deep space. This includes colonists on the ancient generation ships, lost colonies, disappeared scientific expeditions and a host of others. Some will know from our timeline that many thousands of ‘generation ships’ left the safety of Earth beginning in the 24th century onwards, and headed out into what was then largely unknown – with just some data from probes to guide them. The process was completely unregulated, and many were not as well prepared as they should have been. In those days when faster-than-light communication didn’t exist, many of these potential settlers faced terrible risks alone, travelling thousands of light years into the black, not unlike the wagon trains that set out across continental US in the 18th and 19th centuries before them. Not all were successful at founding new worlds. Most were not. Some managed to return with tails of their adventures. Some were lost in deep space, the dead hulk of their ship carrying on an almost endless trajectory ever deeper into space. Others managed to land and survived for many decades before being overtaken by some local disaster. Some may still be alive, just restricted to low power light speed communications, or no comms at all, as their equipment has failed over the centuries in between. We say they have disappeared without trace, but just maybe some will find some traces of them that are still out there…

This was posted in 2015, and it says that "many thousands of ‘generation ships’ left the safety of Earth beginning in the 24th century onwards".
The overall idea matches, but the date (24th century) doesn't match this Galnet article (presumably penned by Brooks too:

"Before the development of faster-than-light travel, colonising distant star systems was a profoundly difficult proposition. For the people of the 21st Century, the answer was the generation ship. These vast interstellar arks, equipped with everything needed to sustain human life, were crewed by multiple successive generations – pioneers who were born, lived and died aboard a starship."

"The first generation ship was launched in 2097, and in the centuries that followed, many more set off into the vastness of space. Most of these ambitious expeditions were funded by large corporations, and the penalties for interfering with them were severe, given the enormous cost of mobilising them."

"At the time of writing, there are believed to be somewhere in the region of 70,000 generation ships coursing through the galaxy. The approximate location of most of these ships has been calculated, but not all are accounted for. Many of the corporations that funded the original generation ships have now been dissolved or assimilated by other organisations, so it is difficult to determine exactly who is responsible for some of these vessels."

So what's we seem to be seeing here is a lot of confusion around these early dates.

And yet we also have the information from the Codex that Raxxla was already a known circulating myth from prior 2296 - which is on the cusp of the 24th century.

Even if we assume that Gen ships were still dispatched for 'centuries' after 2097 (for some bizarre reason). The question remains - why? Why send gen ships out at all? and doubly so decades, centuries after FTL was invented - even if it wasn't yet commercially viable, the fact that it exists means that Gen ships will be long overtaken before they reach the goal (which we're also told did happen to most of them). Even if we say that Gen ships launched for 300 years after the first, taking us to 2397 (24th Century) then that's still over 230 ships launched per year, an incredible amount of ships to construct every year for 300 years straight.

Edit: I forgot to say, notice too that in the Galnet post above it says "there are believed to be somewhere in the region of 70,000 generation ships coursing through the galaxy", not that only 70,000 were launched, but that 70k ships are still travelling, I just used that as my lower estimate number for the maths, this implies there were many more than that.

Edit 3: So so sorry, I mean to include this too from Galnet:
In this modern age it’s hard for us to imagine that before the Federation, humanity existed on just a single world, bar a few small colonies on Mars and the Moon. Even stranger to our current experience was the fact that so many disparate tribal groupings, or ‘countries’ existed on one world.

The Federation arose from the ashes of the Third World War in the mid 21st century. The war caused tremendous devastation across the planet, decimating the population.

Many different factors changed humanity’s outlook after that. The rise of the corporations, the discovery of the first fossils on Mars, and the explosive exploration triggered by the invention of the hyperdrive by Li Qin Jao and others in the 22nd century, first by unmanned probes, then with manned craft, overtaking the generation ships sent in the previous decades. Despite the huge dangers involved, a massive land-grab followed, fuelled by the voracious corporations.
This confirms the Galnet statement above, that Gen ships were launched prior to FTL, and then manned FTL ships overtook Gen ships - so again, the idea of still sending gen ships out after FTL was viable for travel (even on a small scale) is very, very strange and doesn't make sense.

Essentially I feel like one of two things has happened to muddy the waters:

a) (in-game )History was changed via a conspiracy (similar to the conspiracy that redacted the entire first Thargoid war)
b) (out of game) The writers made some significant changes to "something" in the early part of the timeline that required the shuffling around of a lot of dates and timescales and ideas.

Both of these lean towards the idea that there's something we're not seeing in that early part of history - the part where we know Raxxla was first discovered.

Edit: @CMDRCorrMorningstarFelian I can't even...

Last edited:
https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/node/353

Some will know from our timeline that many thousands of ‘generation ships’ left the safety of Earth beginning in beginning in the 24th century onwards

In those days when faster-than-light communication didn’t exist, many of these potential settlers faced terrible risks alone, travelling thousands of light years into the black’….

The plight of The Missing is just one of the things that will become more prominent over the coming year and the Commanders of the Pilots Federation will be pivotal in solving these mysteries. You can expect more news on this soon’…

I wonder how much of this got exaggerated or misquoted over time, how much was retconned, I remember when this was posted, the indication at the end felt like ‘more was to come’ but it didn’t, at least not to my perception, leading to Braben’s leak about ‘number stations’… like many other elements in game, I feel it’s partly inconsistent, partly half written and likely other elements were later cobbled together by other writers when certain employees left ED?

Last edited:
I feel it’s partly inconsistent, partly half written and likely other elements were later cobbled together by other writers when certain employees left ED?
I agree. This is why I chose to not treat the old statements / novels as 'facts' anymore, I rather have it in the back of my mind as background knowledge.
I think I also agree with some of you who says the Codex is the only true source we have today, so I'll be avoiding the other sources.

Not saying other folks are wrong, that would be a bad idea (tm). We need the alternate paths, because we have now idea still after 7-8 years.
We (individually) just have to chose what sources & theories use to create the path we take to find Raxxla.

Last edited:
https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/node/353

Some will know from our timeline that many thousands of ‘generation ships’ left the safety of Earth beginning in beginning in the 24th century onwards

In those days when faster-than-light communication didn’t exist, many of these potential settlers faced terrible risks alone, travelling thousands of light years into the black’….

The plight of The Missing is just one of the things that will become more prominent over the coming year and the Commanders of the Pilots Federation will be pivotal in solving these mysteries. You can expect more news on this soon’…

I wonder how much of this got exaggerated over time, how much was retconned, I remember when this was posted, the indication at the end felt like ‘more was to come’ but it didn’t, at least not to my perception, leading to Braben’s leak about ‘number stations’… like many other elements in game, I feel it’s partly inconsistent, partly half written and likely other elements were later cobbled together by other writers when certain employees left ED?
I mean I get the feeling but the Bubble got populated between 2230 - 2412 (Lave was likely one of the last launched generation ships). This means most were successful. Though, per EDSM there are 20,622 populated systems within 5,000 LY of Sol leaving almost 50,000 generation ships unaccounted for at present. Even Phekda was settled via generation ships per system description:

A rare anarchy system that maintains a powerful industrial economy. Also known as Gamma Ursae Majoris and Phad.

The home system for The Ancients of Mumu who are adherents to the entity \"Mumu\". Their aim is to maintain the substance and nature of their society and protect their home system from incursion by any non-believers. Founded in the 12th century, while still planet bound on Mother Earth, the (then) Adherents of Mumu sought to better their environment for the benefit of others.

When first generation ships were due to leave Earth their society sought to colonise a system far from Earth as they believed that Earth itself was not worth saving. The colonists, by and large, survived the journey, arriving several hundred years ago. A significant proportion of the first settlers had developed a sincere hatred of space travel by the time they made first landing.

Since their arrival they have grown particularly attached to their home and have transformed into a community that is fiercely protective of its chosen system and resistant to any attempts at visitation by those who have not been granted access.

It just means the initiative to settle the Bubble and its' extended halo of populated systems was successful beyond expectations.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom