Never found a name plate design that suited my Cmdr character... šŸ˜ž
He is so evil ! :devilish:

Had to try ... but just

Scytale

Banned
Nice, Pa ! Old SciFi classics seem to have no secret for you ! Lynch's wasn't bad... for that time. Villeneuve's, next year part 1 of 2, currently being edited, is very promising. I like what he did with the Blade Runner sequel. Wasn't easy to match Ridley Scott's overwhelming work and keep the mood of the original movie.
@simulacrae, nicely done ! I like it, Thx !

Last edited:
Well I processed it up and tried a number of online readers, but no result from any of the standard forms... :(

Checking the list on wikipedia, it doesnt contain the valid start or stop sequence of any of the formats there.

Perhaps someone with more skill than I have with these things can work it out..

Last edited:
Have this Barcode on some of my ships for long time but never had the idea... Obviously missing tinfoil talent makes me appreciate this thread even more.

reading a barcode is simple. there are 4 widths that the white and black bars can be. just follow the widths in sequence and write them down. Now, figuring out what the numbers represent is another issue entirely.

either way, it's been stated since the beginning that there will be no in-game or out of game clues in regards to raxxla. So there's no point in looking for any unless that situation has changed (it hasn't).

Going by how fdev has handled things in this game in the past, raxxla is probably a non-descript planet that you could have passed a thousand times but if you happened to investigate it in depth you may find something on it that would identify it as raxxla. There will be no value to having found it within the game ...and no special content related to it of any significance. It's discovery will not alter the overall game or narrative.

reading a barcode is simple. there are 4 widths that the white and black bars can be. just follow the widths in sequence and write them down. Now, figuring out what the numbers represent is another issue entirely.

either way, it's been stated since the beginning that there will be no in-game or out of game clues in regards to raxxla. So there's no point in looking for any unless that situation has changed (it hasn't).

Going by how fdev has handled things in this game in the past, raxxla is probably a non-descript planet that you could have passed a thousand times but if you happened to investigate it in depth you may find something on it that would identify it as raxxla. There will be no value to having found it within the game ...and no special content related to it of any significance. It's discovery will not alter the overall game or narrative.

Your mistake is to confuse the end with the journey.

Barcodes have a start sequence and a stop sequence and a character set for encoded characters in between . The width numbers carry no more information than the image, so your statement is empty.

Either:
  1. The sequence fits a code-set I haven't come across
  2. The start/stop isn't present, making identifying the code-set harder
  3. It uses a non-standard format ( which is tough without a key as it were)
  4. Its just eye candy and carries no information of use (most likely)
But I learnt a bit more about bar-codes on the way so that was cool :cool:

There is one more possibility - if the barcode changed depending on the ship's name, then we'd have been given a key to decode that type of barcode. Is it the same on all ships? (seriously clutching at straws though..)

Last edited:
Now that thought process is much more back on track Yelboc.

try changing the name to A B C or KEY and see if there any obvious difference.....99.99999% not and its just nothing, but science says rule it out

Barcodes have a start sequence and a stop sequence and a character set for encoded characters in between . The width numbers carry no more information than the image, so your statement is empty.

Either:
  1. The sequence fits a code-set I haven't come across
  2. The start/stop isn't present, making identifying the code-set harder
  3. It uses a non-standard format ( which is tough without a key as it were)
  4. Its just eye candy and carries no information of use (most likely)
But I learnt a bit more about bar-codes on the way so that was cool :cool:

There is one more possibility - if the barcode changed depending on the ship's name, then we'd have been given a key to decode that type of barcode. Is it the same on all ships? (seriously clutching at straws though..)

You'd have to drop the image to the width numbers regardless of how it's encoded, since no non-custom barcode reader is going to scan it.
And if you've done that part of the work, which you'd have to do anyway, you could easily check to see if it's ascii if you knew what the name of the ship was that was associated with the barcode, since decoding the width to ascii would be straight forward, with every 2 digits being 1 character.

If it's not ascii but still varies based on the ship name, then meh. have fun with that, either way, it's not going to give you any interesting information.

Solving puzzles is fun and all, but there are better uses of time. Especially if you're goal is to find raxxla... the answer is not going to be in the form of a puzzle to solve. Such a thing would at least make a itty bitty amount of sense if there were people at fdev who were still being paid to create such content.

Now that thought process is much more back on track Yelboc.

try changing the name to A B C or KEY and see if there any obvious difference.....99.99999% not and its just nothing, but science says rule it out

The obvious thing to do would be to first photo with another ship name & compare to see if the barcode changes. I suspect itā€™s just fluff.

Now now, donā€™t spread false news. ā€œthere will be no in-game or out of game cluesā€ isnā€™t what was said.

DJT: Where is Raxxla? MB: Where is Raxxla? ā€Well, It's in the Milky Way, but I can't tell you where at this stage, it's a journey that everyone has to travel for themselves". DJT: You have always said there will be no clues. MB: "that is true, but I think you have to make some of it a tiny little bit obvious just so that people know what they are doing, there is nothing to be revealed at this stage"

ā€œtiny little bit obviousā€ suggests there are some clues, the Codex being an obvious example, but I suspect there are others.

You'd have to drop the image to the width numbers regardless of how it's encoded, since no non-custom barcode reader is going to scan it.
And if you've done that part of the work, which you'd have to do anyway, you could easily check to see if it's ascii if you knew what the name of the ship was that was associated with the barcode, since decoding the width to ascii would be straight forward, with every 2 digits being 1 character.

I see what you mean - normally barcodes are based on a codeset that is chosen to make the life of the scanner easy - patterns with 0 mean and with wide differentiation between codes. What you suggest is that its not a proper RL barcode, but an encoding based on the linewidths. Thats a different matter and I shall have a go at it..

If it varies with ship name or ID then that would be most interesting as there are barcodes scattered all over the place in the game - on canister and crates and racks etc..

yes but that would logically mean that those barcodes would point to the contents of those crates, or names of ships etc so wouldn't actually mean anything, sorry to be so down but think this isn't even a red herring, its a cloud that looks a bit like a fish and we have painted it red....

There is a barcode on the conda sort of near the medium hardpoints if memory servers. (the barcode use to render in VR floating away from the hull.) I think there is also a barcode in some stations on the wall/bulkhead thing as you move from outfitting back to the surface (or was it the other way around.)

The detail on the cargo canisters makes me think there may be something in it, but if memory serves it only varied by 'type' of cargo container (the number stayed the same also) , and not cargo itself. (It has been a while since i last messed around with cargo barcodes so i could be remembering wrong.)

Heres my nameplate from a different ship - (apologies as taken both by and on a potato) It looks to be the same as "deep fernweh", so I suspect it is fluff.

Top Bottom