Regarding the Landscape Signal studies:
One thing I had noticed with the signal recordings is that there was a sine wave present in the waveform view with a frequency of about 0.2Hz (5 seconds).

SineWave.png

So I used the high pass filter with a frequency of 0.4Hz to help cancel that wave out and was left with a more 'straight' waveform to see what was happening.
(images are not the same scale)
High Pass Filter.png

It appears there is a constant cycle of noise fluctuating every 25 seconds or so, and the primary mountain lines appear in a slightly different phase to this cycle (1 minute 49s).

I wonder if, rather than trying to match the signal to an in-game location, it might better match either a real-world mountain or even a book cover for something by Robert Holdstock? The problem with in-game terrain is that it is now tile-based, meaning there are similar formations everywhere that are rescaled and re-oriented by the procedural generation.

I wonder if, rather than trying to match the signal to an in-game location, it might better match either a real-world mountain or even a book cover for something by Robert Holdstock? The problem with in-game terrain is that it is now tile-based, meaning there are similar formations everywhere that are rescaled and re-oriented by the procedural generation.
Oh I'm not advocating looking for that mountain range in-game at all. It might be anywhere across billions of planets, or even on an atmo planet we can't reach (though I hope not).

I'm suggesting that the signal shows us the goal. Gives us an idea of what we're heading towards. It's like putting an X on a treasure map, then tearing up the map and giving us the bit with the X on it. We know there's a map, we know that there's the treasure, but we don't know where it is or how to get there! It also fits with the Lore - people know Raxxla exists and can roughly describe it, yet it's still 'lost'?! We've all asked how is that possible?! - this is how. People see it, like Halsey and Gan did - in visions and dreams - but don't know how to get there.

I'm proposing that the method by which it's shown gives us a clue as to how to find more clues - special audio in key locations. The Codex (and other things) tell us where we might start looking for these additional audio. All this is in-game, using in-game clues and in-game knowledge of lore and events.

NLTT 46621 Investigation​

I've been trying to find a list of system descriptions from as early as possible, this is the best I've got so far. Thanks to Lord_Zapan for compiling this back in 2015. I've also looked on the ED wiki page (although less reliable, it also doesn't list NLTT 46621's description).

Obviously these lists are almost certainly not complete at their times of last update, however Lord-Zapan's list at least is decent snapshot of systems from the early days, and the wiki page shows systems that people cared enough to update.

I can't find NLTT 46621's description on any list or post other than here in the last few weeks, however I have seen several references to the system over the years but no-one comments on the system description, sadly. I've also been unable to dig up any reference to a player group calling itself "The Link", which does tally with INARA and EDSM saying it's not a player faction. If it is, they don't seem to have posted anything anywhere. The CoR database lists the Tourist beacon there, as do other places, so it was known and visited, yet... for whatever reason the system description was never noted even though it's weird! It's also not got the system description on EDSM, which many of the older systems with description do (but not even nearly all of them). EDSM lists the system as first being visited (for EDSM) in 2014, so that's extremely early - well within the timeframe Lord_Zapan was compiling their list.

Lack of proof isn't proof of anything other than I can't find it though.

Not sure if this helps, but it at least eliminates a few lines of enquiry. Maybe someone could make a post on the forum asking if anyone knows if The Link is a player faction? Someone might just have the answer.

So, interesting development. The Link was just reporting as a non-player faction originally. This morning, it changed to related to the squadron Sezione 42 which has an encrypted description at https://inara.cz/elite/squadron/13783/.

Original text:
Sjivb ablfcrjtnrb, fm qubstf ojrsbl af ajtf leb lf afvfanmn ejf trnvjtn ij iulb, ejf sbduftn ij strjaj ba ejf trnvjtn kb. Vunf sjobrb lef sfjkn? vunf sjobrb obrleé sfjkn mbiij sbzfnmb abslrfttfvj af umn squjarnmb? fi tun obmsfbrn è jmlnrj inmtjmn ajiij iulb. Mnm snmn ib ankjmab dfustb aj onrtf, ij vbrj ankjmaj è: l’è Fifnm? B sb l’è, anv’è? B sb anv’è, lef è? B sb lef è, obrleé? Be?! Fm qubstn kjmtn af stbiib jajdfjtn su um nlbjmn af nmab drjvftjzfnmjif, ij iulb sf afsofbdj afmjmzf jf kfmuslnif bssbrf vfvbmtf fmljojlf af rnkobrb fi vbin abi vuntn. Fmdjmmjtf ajiij iulb abiib stbiib lnkb cjibmb lf rnmzjmn fmtnrmn obr onf sojrfrb fm um pjttftn af ouisjr. Mbiij iulb knitf lrbanmn af vbabrb, lblef, jllbljtf aj qubiij stbssj iulb leb fanijtrjmn. Ij vbrftà è mbii’nslurn vuntn abi lnskn, inmtjmn ajiij iulb fmdjmmjtrflb. Ij iulb knstrj snin lfò leb vunib, fi pufn rfvbij tuttn, è bqujib, è fkojrzfjib, tuttn rflnorb, muiij mjslnmab. Mbi vuntn mnf lbrlefjkn Fifnm, mbi vuntn tnrmfjkn jii’nrfdfmb, mbi vuntn trnvfjkn fi mnstrn cuturn...

Independent Raxxla Hunters decoded it as...(Thanks to @El Saico).

This is a monoalphabetic cipher, the substitution alphabet starts with "jpl". Here's the plaintext:
Salve decifratore, in questi parsec di dati che ci dividono hai trovato la luce, hai seguito la strada ed hai trovato me. Vuoi sapere chi siamo? vuoi sapere perché siamo nella sezione descrittiva di uno squadrone? il tuo pensiero è ancora lontano dalla luce. Non sono le domande giuste da porti, la vera domanda è:c’è Ilion?E se c’è, dov’è? E se dov’è, chi è? E se chi è, perché? Eh?!
In questo manto di stelle adagiato su un oceano di onde gravitazionali, la luce si dispiega dinanzi ai minuscoli esseri viventi incapaci di rompere il velo del vuoto. Ingannati dalla luce delle stelle come falene ci ronzano intorno per poi sparire in un battito di pulsar. Nella luce molti credono di vedere, cechi, accecati da quella stessa luce che idolatrano. La verità è nell’oscuro vuoto del cosmo, lontano dalla luce ingannatrice. La luce mostra solo ciò che vuole, il buio rivela tutto, è equale, è imparziale, tutto ricopre, nulla nasconde. Nel vuoto noi cerchiamo Ilion, nel vuoto torniamo all’origine, nel vuoto troviamo il nostro futuro...

Then we let Google Translate work some magic...
Hello decipherer, in these parsecs of data that divide us you found the light, you followed the path and you found me. Do you want to know who we are? do you want to know why we are in the description section of a squadron? your thoughts are still far from the light. These are not the right questions to ask, the real question is:
is Ilion there?
And if he is there, where is he?
And if where is he, who is he?
And if who is it, why? Huh?!

In this blanket of stars lying on an ocean of gravitational waves, light unfolds before tiny living beings incapable of breaking the veil of the void. Deceived by the light of the stars, they buzz around us like moths and then disappear in a pulsar beat. In the light many believe they see, blind, blinded by that same light that they idolize. The truth is in the dark void of the cosmos, far from the deceiving light. The light shows only what it wants, the darkness reveals everything, it is equal, it is impartial, it covers everything, it hides nothing. In the void we search for Ilion, in the void we return to the origin, in the void we find our future...

Any thoughts as to is this FDev saying we found something important. It seems like a lot of trouble to have to gone through otherwise.

The Ilion reference seems oddly specific:

Last edited:
Worth mentioning, technically in the timeframe of Elite Polaris would no longer be our pole/north star, it would be Gamma Cephei named Alrai ingame HIP 116727 or Errai (Different naming convention)
Aren't there the Blood Brothers from Alrai?

Original text:

Independent Raxxla Hunters decoded it as...(Thanks to @El Saico).

This is a monoalphabetic cipher, the substitution alphabet starts with "jpl". Here's the plaintext:

Then we let Google Translate work some magic...

Any thoughts as to is this FDev saying we found something important. It seems like a lot of trouble to have to gone through otherwise.

The Ilion reference seems oddly specific:
after quick look, that Faction on INARA was created 1 year ago....
looks like they have just gone on INARA and chose to support this faction... one of their Fcs shows updated 20min ago...

Last edited:
Yeah looks like they became related due to Inara updates, Inara is a bit funny where it can relate your faction automatically if you spend a good deal of time in a system doing CZ's etc where no other player faction is really operating in

Yeah looks like they became related due to Inara updates, Inara is a bit funny where it can relate your faction automatically if you spend a good deal of time in a system doing CZ's etc where no other player faction is really operating in
If that were the case it would have happened to me, I've been in that system for about 7 months or so. I think it's some fans joining in with the lore, playing a role.

If that were the case it would have happened to me, I've been in that system for about 7 months or so. I think it's some fans joining in with the lore, playing a role.
Looking at your profile you are not assigned to a squadron nor is your profile fully setup so no you wouldnt have gotten a tick

Worth mentioning, technically in the timeframe of Elite Polaris would no longer be our pole/north star, it would be Gamma Cephei named Alrai ingame HIP 116727 or Errai (Different naming convention)
There was some discussion earlier around the link between female astronomers and the codex entry. Henrietta Leavitt is associated with the Cepheid constellation for her discovery of Cepheid variable brightness stars.

Speaking of variables, has the Zeta Puppis system been explored in depth?
I was looking for where RS Puppis (brightest variable in the galaxy) is located in ED but only Zeta Puppis (Naos) comes up.

However, this system has a similar extremely large, bright main star, and FOUR T Tauri stars orbiting.
Two of these stars have a planet orbiting VERY close to them:
Zeta Puppis 3 = 40ls,
Zeta Puppis 5 = 8 light seconds

Can someone do me a big favour and please scan around these bodies for me? for science? 😇😇😇
TDW post.png

This aligns further with the idea of Henrietta Leavitt (Princess Astrophel / Female Astronomer and the spiralling (brightness) stars) - T Tauri are a class of variables as well.
Zeta Puppis is a system where all five stars are variables!

There was some discussion earlier around the link between female astronomers and the codex entry. Henrietta Leavitt is associated with the Cepheid constellation for her discovery of Cepheid variable brightness stars.

Speaking of variables, has the Zeta Puppis system been explored in depth?
I was looking for where RS Puppis (brightest variable in the galaxy) is located in ED but only Zeta Puppis (Naos) comes up.

However, this system has a similar extremely large, bright main star, and FOUR T Tauri stars orbiting.
Two of these stars have a planet orbiting VERY close to them:
Zeta Puppis 3 = 40ls,
Zeta Puppis 5 = 8 light seconds

Can someone do me a big favour and please scan around these bodies for me? for science? 😇😇😇

This aligns further with the idea of Henrietta Leavitt (Princess Astrophel / Female Astronomer and the spiralling (brightness) stars) - T Tauri are a class of variables as well.
Zeta Puppis is a system where all five stars are variables!
SIMBAD is, as always, our friend: https://simbad.cds.unistra.fr/simbad/sim-basic?Ident=RS+Puppis

As it turns out, RS Puppis is listed ingame by another identifier, HD 68860.

Anything on squadron search? If the faction was added 9 June 2019 then it may well have a squadron with a similar name available.
(PC, PC Legacy, XBox and PS4 squadrons are all separate lists, so you'd ideally want to check all of them)
Yeah nothing on Squadron Search either (on PC), didn't know about the Xbox/PS4 specific ones, that makes a lot of sense.

I'm wondering now if maybe a player faction co-opted a local faction. This 'Section 42' or similar made a player faction based in NLTT 46621 so they could create the system description for The Link and wrap it into their group's lore.

The stuff posted above seems to suggest to me that it's a player group interested in doing some myth-making of their own :)

I'm wondering now if maybe a player faction co-opted a local faction. This 'Section 42' or similar made a player faction based in NLTT 46621 so they could create the system description for The Link and wrap it into their group's lore.
It probably pays to be very specific with the terminology here to avoid confusion:
- faction = the in-game entity which can have influence and states and own stations
- squadron = the in-game entity which contains players as members and can optionally be aligned to a faction (multiple squadrons - including on the same platform - can align to the same faction)
- group = the out-of-game collection of players which can run one or more squadrons (on one or more platforms) and which may or may not have any registration on Inara, which could until last year request a faction be created (but got no exclusivity over it after creation) and which can of course have an interest in the state of as many factions as it likes.

Looking at the factions present in NLTT 46621, all of them except The Link have names matching the form of standard procedural factions, and two are clearly native to nearby Eos or LHS 3343 respectively. Further, from the EliteBGS archive, no new factions have entered or old factions left the system since the addition of The Link in mid-2019.

So, this gives the following possibilities:
1) The Link is the player faction, which was created in June 2019 at the request of "Section 42", who submitted the description
2) The Link is the player faction, which was created in June 2019 at the request of an unknown and possibly extinct player group who submitted the description. "Section 42" have since adopted it, with or without the knowledge or agreement of its original creators.
3) There is no player faction in the system. Frontier added the faction in June 2019 for their own unknown reasons, and added the description either at the same time or at another date. "Section 42" have since adopted it.
4) {unlikely, but still possible} The Link is the player faction, which was created in June 2019 in a system which already had that Frontier-entered description prior to that date. The group requesting the faction chose not to submit a description since Frontier had already added one; whatever earlier reason Frontier had to add the description did not trip any of the "no lore significant systems" rules for requesting player factions.
5) {excessively unlikely but technically possible} One of the factions with NLTT 46621 in the name is a player faction created before October 2017, which has been named deliberately to resemble an original procedural faction. Either they didn't submit a system description, or it referred to "The Link" for no obvious reason. In June 2019 for even less clear reasons Frontier added a faction called "The Link" to the system anyway despite it being a player faction home system. "Section 42" may or may not have anything to do with it.

The influence curve of the faction prior to Welsh Dragon's adoption 7 months ago is certainly compatible with "new player faction added to a busy high-population system that they do not have the firepower or knowledge to handle" (especially the rise and then fall back to equilibrium in the first month of its existence), though that's definitely not the only possible explanation.

Top Bottom