i have a weird thought/theory that i doubt would result in anything but hear me out. following the new updates about the ability to apply for the creation of a player made faction. it's almost as if FD are trying to push us to do it, like if we're taking too long to do it ourselves. (hey guys! you can actually apply for a faction of your own! wink wink) so i suggest we make a faction called "the dark wheel", if thats even allowed. and then keep an eye for who ever attacks or tries to shut it down. as said in the dark wheel codex :

"now think about how easy it would be for some two-bit band of hucksters to pass themselves off as the dark wheel and start trading on their reputation. Doesn't happen, does it? Not for long, anyway. Whenever someone tries to usurp the dark Wheel name, sooner or later they get quietly shut down. And that's how i know"

i dont know if this has been even tried before or not. but it's worth a shot. at least, if the request gets rejected, we will know to eliminate that possibility out of the list. this could be a necessary first step (to interract with the DW), in order to even start looking for raxxla.

Last edited:
Just pick the mass of a small asteroide. It probably doesn't make much difference at all, as the mass of the station is insignificant compared to the planet and the star.

Actually, there may be a quicker and more reliable way...
Is there any in-game station actually placed at a lagrange point???

Edit: Doh, I knew I was having a brain-failure! 🤪
Just need mass of star, planet & semi-major axis, station mass unnecessary.
Need to do some in-game testing, unfortunately not tonight...

Last edited:
i have a weird thought/theory that i doubt would result in anything but hear me out. following the new updates about the ability to apply for the creation of a player made faction. it's almost as if FD are trying to push us to do it, like if we're taking too long to do it ourselves. (hey guys! you can actually apply for a faction of your own! wink wink) so i suggest we make a faction called "the dark wheel", if thats even allowed. and then keep an eye for who ever attacks or tries to shut it down. as said in the dark wheel codex :

"now think about how easy it would be for some two-bit band of hucksters to pass themselves off as the dark wheel and start trading on their reputation. Doesn't happen, does it? Not for long, anyway. Whenever someone tries to usurp the dark Wheel name, sooner or later they get quietly shut down. And that's how i know"

i dont know if this has been even tried before or not. but it's worth a shot. at least, if the request gets rejected, we will know to eliminate that possibility out of the list. this could be a necessary first step (to interract with the DW), in order to even start looking for raxxla.
The main issue I see with doing this is that the minor faction “The Dark Wheel” does exist in game, so a player faction using the same name would likely be rejected. They have a presence in Shinrarta Dezrah and LFT 926 if you wanted to try and gain influence with them. Bear in mind that as far as I know they are no longer offering the special missions they used to, as noted in the OP of this thread.

Also, to make a Player minor faction you need to first create a player group/squadron, and have at least 10 members. A player group named “The Dark Wheel” does already exist, and only has 3 members currently. So that would prevent any one else from even applying for player minor faction status unfortunately.

I really do like the idea though!

Last edited:
Btw: why Raxxla icon in Codex is... green? Do other icons match real factions etc.?

Empire, blue - match
Alliance, blue - match
Federation, reddish - match
Guardians, blue - match?

And so on...
Might be this:
"Markings are unfamiliar . . . Alex said. There had been black and green flags with bright sunbursts on them, and non-terrestrial ideographs on the sides. " ... from the Dark Wheel

Actually, there may be a quicker and more reliable way...
Is there any in-game station actually placed at a lagrange point???

Edit: Doh, I knew I was having a brain-failure! 🤪
Just need mass of star, planet & semi-major axis, station mass unnecessary.
Need to do some in-game testing, unfortunately not tonight...
For L4 and L5 you don't even need exact masses for the star and the planet. As long as the star is more than 25 times the mass of the planet, they are stabile and at fixed positions on the orbit line.
In ED, L4 and L5 seem to be the most common locations for Lagrange objects.

In the RL Sol-Jupiter system, L4 and L5 are heavily populated with the Trojan and Greek asteroids.

For L4 and L5 you don't even need exact masses for the star and the planet. As long as the star is more than 25 times the mass of the planet, they are stabile and at fixed positions on the orbit line.
In ED, L4 and L5 seem to be the most common locations for Lagrange objects.

In the RL Sol-Jupiter system, L4 and L5 are heavily populated with the Trojan and Greek asteroids.

I know TRDW station is supposed to be stealthy, but I’d be quite surprised if it looks like a large wooden horse 😮

The main issue I see with doing this is that the minor faction “The Dark Wheel” does exist in game, so a player faction using the same name would likely be rejected. They have a presence in Shinrarta Dezrah and LFT 926 if you wanted to try and gain influence with them. Bear in mind that as far as I know they are no longer offering the special missions they used to, as noted in the OP of this thread.

Also, to make a Player minor faction you need to first create a player group/squadron, and have at least 10 members. A player group named “The Dark Wheel” does already exist, and only has 3 members currently. So that would prevent any one else from even applying for player minor faction status unfortunately.

I really do like the idea though!

Well, it might be called The Real Dark Wheel!
But there is one other drawback, the premise is based on the assumption that the Codex entries are fully realised in-game. Since there is already a player faction named “Dark Wheel” and they haven’t been closed down then I think the hypothesis is on a hiding to nothing! 😉

Well, it might be called The Real Dark Wheel!
But there is one other drawback, the premise is based on the assumption that the Codex entries are fully realised in-game. Since there is already a player faction named “Dark Wheel” and they haven’t been closed down then I think the hypothesis is on a hiding to nothing! 😉
The Dark Wheel faction in-game isn’t a player faction though, they were the ones giving out the unique missions, to do with the SAP 8 core containers and the Trinkets of Hidden Fortune etc. It is true they have never been shut down, so it may stand to reason that they are the real deal...

The Dark Wheel squadron is player created. However the only other info I can dig up makes it seem for all intents and purposes to just be a small squadron created for fun by a random cmdr. The fact that they have not been closed down could perhaps be evidence to disprove the hypothesis.

This is an interesting thread to keep pulling on, if it hasn’t been followed to date. Looking into this has brought to my attention that there are quite a few TDW controlled installations in LFT 926. One of which is named “Erebus Security Bureau”, with Erebus being the god of darkness in Greek mythology :unsure:

Last edited:
It's still possible those SAP8 and Trinket missions were, and maybe still are part of the pathway to solving the TDW and Raxxla mysteries but they were temporarily yanked to prevent anyone finding the prize too early and thereby having a detrimental effect on the longevity of the game's most elusive myth.

We're still only about half way through the originally projected development cycle. Why bloom too early?

i am currently doing missions for the dark wheel faction in LFT 926. they also have an installation inside the asteroid belt cluster, that has some sort of riot from the npcs. notice how i have the belt targeted, and it has "the Dark Wheel" in the description, rather than the installation itself. wich i found weird. dont know if this exists in shinrata aswell, as i dont have access to that permit. but in LFT 926, they have 2 agents that give missions, and they mostly have wing assassination missions wich im not too enthousiastic about. assasinations of "deserters" of the DW. but i'll grind it out a bit and see.
here's a pic :

Last edited:
i am currently doing missions for the dark wheel faction in LFT 926. they also have an installation inside the asteroid belt cluster, that has some sort of riot from the npcs. notice how i have the belt targeted, and it has "the Dark Wheel" in the description, rather than the installation itself. wich i found weird. dont know if this exists in shinrata aswell, as i dont have access to that permit. but in LFT 926, they have 2 agents that give missions, and they mostly have wing assassination missions wich im not too enthousiastic about. assasinations of "deserters" of the DW. but i'll grind it out a bit and see.
here's a pic :
That is cool, nice find! A base in an asteroid belt that says “The Dark Wheel” rather than having an installation name? Pretty weird. I wonder what else could be hiding in asteroid belts? I mostly ignore them when exploring a system personally, but that sure is gonna change now. Are there any data points to scan that give any unique info or missions?

The current missions are probably related to the War state TDW is currently in. Hopefully they give different missions when they change to another state, or when you get high rep with them?

Yay my asteroid belt theory panned out!!
here's a pic :
If you target the belt with fss does it say it has human signals or did you just find it kinda accidentally? This has me excited...

here's a pic :

already found this station, it is not special. wait for the attack on the station and you will be given the choice to defend it or attack.

The Dark Wheel faction in-game isn’t a player faction though, they were the ones giving out the unique missions, to do with the SAP 8 core containers and the Trinkets of Hidden Fortune etc. It is true they have never been shut down, so it may stand to reason that they are the real deal...

The Dark Wheel squadron is player created. However the only other info I can dig up makes it seem for all intents and purposes to just be a small squadron created for fun by a random cmdr. The fact that they have not been closed down could perhaps be evidence to disprove the hypothesis.

This is an interesting thread to keep pulling on, if it hasn’t been followed to date. Looking into this has brought to my attention that there are quite a few TDW controlled installations in LFT 926. One of which is named “Erebus Security Bureau”, with Erebus being the god of darkness in Greek mythology :unsure:
Everything is very tricky here. Why would a real wheel eliminate a pseudo-wheel if everyone is looking for them now? Now public attention is focused on the all-wheel-drive, so it is not profitable for the real wheel to eliminate them. do you understand?

Yay my asteroid belt theory panned out!!
If you target the belt with fss does it say it has human signals or did you just find it kinda accidentally? This has me excited...
the belt didnt show any unusual thing. i found it completely randomely, as i noticed how the star looked similar to the one from the DW picture, so i jumped to it, thinking that it would be the ideal place, from wich to recreate that same view, with a station so close to the star.
apparently you receive random mission requests from the DW faction as you fly around in this system, asking for various tasks. i received one as im typing this reply. but i suppose this is normal, as thats how factions in other systems behave too. right?
i should start checking out these belts more often in suspicious systems in the future, as they seem they can hide stuff too. and they are perfect hiding spots since they dont show anything strange before you actually jump to them.

Last edited:
Everything is very tricky here. Why would a real wheel eliminate a pseudo-wheel if everyone is looking for them now? Now public attention is focused on the all-wheel-drive, so it is not profitable for the real wheel to eliminate them. do you understand?
Or it could be that is what they want you to think, and they are hiding in plain site ;)

It seems a little too coincidental that The Dark Wheel faction was giving out unique missions in the past if they were just pretenders. In my opinion anyway.

The installation you found, did it have any data points you could scan or anything besides the mini event at all?

Top Bottom