General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It is by far the worst I am familiar with. Out of curiosity, which foreign news outlets do you follow? Also: love the "our lamestream media is the worst!" followed by "how dare you say our media is the worst!"
Don't forget to check out the edit on my last post.

What foreign outlets do I follow regularly? Bloomberg/Wapo/New York Times/CNN/MSNBC and a number of others including The Guardian & the BBC

Well, I have some entirely unsensationalized news...

Today I managed to eat a breakfast, a lunch, and a dinner where the main course of each was some form of chocolate.

I also learned that Hersey Kisses cereal is just a Cocoa Puffs rip-off. Same company too...General Mills must have decided it was more economical to put the same stuff into different molds and sell them as different products than it was to make novel products.

Anyway, I feel terrible and will never do this again. I think I'm going to drink about three gallons of water and take fifteen hour nap.

Restricted hours reminds me of this:

Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey is a novel by Chuck Palahniuk released on May 1, 2007

That's completely out of left field. Looks interesting none the less.

How many languages are you (semi-)fluent in?

Over here the gestapo flogs us if were caught speaking anything other than American. Still, I can count to ten in Spanish, know enough Klingon to get past a boarder checkpoint, and have a passing knowledge of Commodore BASIC.

Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan all have good profiles. South Korea too. Germany has very good fatality rates.
Australia is doing awesome too. Without cruise ships we would be even better.

Afterwards we will tell ourselves we'll never let it happen again, we'll stay alert for a few years and then we'll forget about it.
Sometimes I wonder if we don't actually live in Hell. All the Devil had to do was give us short lifespans and even shorter memories.

It is by far the worst I am familiar with. Out of curiosity, which foreign news outlets do you follow? How many languages are you (semi-)fluent in? Also: love the "our lamestream media is the worst!" followed by "how dare you say our media is the worst!" :ROFLMAO: Its okay mate, you can say it: your media is the worst.
The first Gulf war was the nail in the coffin, for american news reporting. So called 'news reports' made by marketing companies, had huge success in rating and influence.
This seem to be the only way it's done now.
The left/right division in US media is pure team sports. Marketing departments know that in order to keep people interested and loyal, they need an opponent. It's a silent agreement that both sides enjoy.

Binge watched Locke and Key. Pretty good stuff. Cut up bottle caps into valve housings while watching. Still iterating the respirator.

Ate a giant mushroom calzone with mother-in-law steaming hot with fizzy Cream Soda after 2 am. Followed by crunchy lime flavored chips and Tabasco with carbonated cider. Which was surprizingly good, you should try it.

Not the best idea ever. Took in at least 250 cc of CO2 dissolved.

Borborigmi galore.
🤭🤢🤮🥴

Last edited:

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Please stay off the politics or we'll have to give lengthy thread bans or infractions. Really don't want to go down that route. You all know the forum rules please stick to them.

I'm an Avis donor too, and knowing if I had developed antibodies was another good reason to go pay them a visit. I'm still trying. Still plenty of time, alas.

In my country, the first few reported cases appeared pretty unrelated, ever since I believe the virus could be much more widespread that we believed. To be honest, two weeks ago I experienced very mild, but dry coughing occasionally, my wife too, our three children did not. Who knows it may even passed through us. At the moment I'm suffering from the usual spring time allergic symptoms, thanks to the sunny, dry weather. :)

Might be the best possible situation? Being immune, and OK?
It will be interesting when we find out how that really works.

My wife had a chat the other day, with a friend that is infected. She as been ill for a few weeks and even got the pneumonia. She is of course locked up a home, with her husband(also infected - mild symptoms) and two of their kids.
These two boys(5 and 15 I think) have been locked up with their infected parents, for three weeks. They have absolutely no symptoms.
Unfortunately they have not been tested. They are already locked in, so no test will be spent on them.

I wonder how this works. Are they infected but don't get ill or do their bodies resist infection?

My wife's friend is doing fine, even with the pneumonia. She has no health issues and has very good lung capacity(lots of running). She said that came in handy now.

Peak Guardian. Shows where their priorities really lie.

After agreeing that we need to control the spread of the virus, writes plea to emotions article about Italy stopping the landing of migrants at its ports.

Source

I truly appreciate the sentiment, but I think most people will make the same choice?

Now if I was in my late 60's it would be a completely different matter! But asthma aside, I'm healthy and I've been working for over 35 years straight and honestly can't image ever not working - I go stir crazy when the wife drags me on vacation each year.
I thought that too- until the college reduced my department from 60 to 17. I was #21. :(

Peak Guardian. Shows where their priorities really lie.

After agreeing that we need to control the spread of the virus, writes plea to emotions article about Italy stopping the landing of migrants at its ports.

Source

Not sure what you mean? It seems a fairly factual article that simply states that 1) people are still trying to get from Northern-Africa to Italy, 2) Italy has recently closed its ports, 3) They motivate this to the EU by saying that they cannot take care of it due to COVID, and 4) A local NGO is appealing to Germany for assistance, saying that Italy cannot be expected to fix this on their own.

Make of it what you will, but I don't see anything in this article that is false, inflammatory or a plea to emotions. This is just stuff that is happening.

That would be certainly the best! I wonder how Netherlands' and Sweden's experiment will work out.

Well, we certainly have a lot stricter approach now than Sweden has. In any case, today the RIVM announced there are increasing doubts whether mild cases have immunity in the first place. Considering that about 85% or so of people is assumed to have a mild response that would kinda make the whole herd immunity idea a non-starter without a vaccine. If it turns out that, as expected, the virus does not go away in the summer, and that mild cases can keep spreading it we're going to have some fun choices to make.

It was also said that it is unlikely a lot of measures will be lifted before June 1st, and they already stated it might be necessary to keep most of it going for at least another 4-5 months. Of course, economy-wise that is relatively easy compared with other companies, as there isn't a mandatory lockdown of most non-essential work. It is mostly a blow to the hospitality and entertainment industries.

A full lockdown, including all non-essential work, would be completely unsustainable for such a period of time.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom