Update 13, Narrative and Access to 4.0

I can tell you that I have a high end system and Odyssey runs flawlessly (in VR) and has since Oddy released.
That's quite interesting... According to a couple of other posters on the forum "flawlessly" is subjective... ;) (particularly when referring to EDO & VR in the same comment!)

Similar to yourself, I played the EDO alpha, then only EDO since release (although if moving an account FC use my laptop and Horizons, letting me play another, in EDO, on the main PC) both pancake & VR.

Not so. The Horizons 4.0 update is to reunify the universe for cmdrs who have chosen not to buy Ody DLC, and to simplify their maintenance of the game.
Odyssey is still a thing. It's not been abandoned. I'm no great fan of Ody FPS but that's a different topic)
FDev have said no ship interiors, but for other reasons.
Yet most of us wanted ship interiors over walking on planets and in bases - the ships are want make this (and many space games) special and give us the biggest connection to the World! :O :D .

Last edited:
i would just de-instance anyone who docks from the undocked instance. Just have everyone immediately start moving towards the hanger rather than sit on the surface and during this period you de-instance. Everyone outside sees an empty pad return to the surface immediately.

Upon getting ready to launch, you re-instance to what instance is available, just like how any client would, having returned from changing modes or so (only you are limited to your original pad position unless you actually changed modes/exited in the meantime) Conflicts in pad occupancy means you can't join that instance.

Station crowding solved.

Once in the hanger, you can re-instance with wing mates and other players in the station instance. docking and undocking are simply treated as instance cycles (like jumping to a new system etc).
Sounds a lot like how it works already, no?

Which is why I said earlier in the thread that the main reasons I think they dumped consoles likely boils down to costs ( having to code a console compliant client on top of the PC one and having to pay both Sony and MS every time you push an update ) and quality control ( Sony for example WILL remove your game from sale if it's broken/full of bugs like Odyssey was for months, as CDPR found out with CP2077 ). I just couldn't resist agitating the guy who somehow thinks consoles are the gold standard of gaming no matter what info you put in front of him. The AVX argument was indeed aimed at the PS4/Xbone. The PS5/XSeries part was just pointing out to him that the "next gen" consoles only compare to mid tier PC's whereas he seems to think they're some kind of god tier. I have nothing against consoles themselves, I understand why many like/prefer them. But some just get a little too fanatical and it makes me wanna have some fun.
I didn't say consoles were "god tier" and could do everything, I meerly stated that they're very good at what they do and they do very good things if you work with them rather than against them...

And on my point of how you can't compare their specs like for like with PCs - people build PCs supposedly with the same specs as "last gen" consoles but the same games don't look half as good or run half as good as they do when running on an actual PS4 or Xbox One.

Indeed PCs CAN run games better than consoles, if you spend four times as much or more on them, while some of their resources are wasted not actually running games!

Frontier COULD make Odyssey work on consoles if they and their engine was a bit more flexible, as said 95% of developers seem to be doing things with consoles better than them - look at Paradox and Stellaris...

People are asking for the console changes in the PC version :D .

I don't know about that. It feels like a good advertising mechanism for Odyssey. FOMO pressure - "All my friends are running around outside and I'm stuck in this chair.. That's it, I'm buying Odyssey!"
see the bright side:
"all my friends are running around outside, protectionless, and i'm the only one on the ship...heh"
YMhQApa.png

Sounds a lot like how it works already, no?

No, that doesn't happen at all right now. your ship remains holding the pad unless you actually change modes or leave your ship (and leaving your ship may currently require leaving the hangar too..not sure) before players not docked see you leave the instance.

If it happened the way i described it, nobody would know what "station crowding" even was because it wouldn't be possible.

There's been precisely 1 (one) paid DLC released for ED.
I don't think you can claim an 'historic MO' based off that.
horizons, and odyssey are paid dlc's. There's 1 prior to odyssey. And we've had a year of the current one that shows signs of following the exact same behavior.

CQC was originally also a paid DLC. but this actually follows the pattern of a conventional dlc

what might be throwing off the perception that there was more than that is that fdev charged for beta and alpha access to a couple other updates over the years, but not the final release. kindof a backwards way to do things (should be: tease players with a free beta + get more players involved in the beta to actually bug test and then charge for the full version that they will now all want...but that would involve actually using the beta / alpha period as an actual development phase and not for whatever point we use it for here). So while you didn't have to pay for those updates, some players did.

Last edited:
I have a question about this narrative conclusion. Is this something that is happening live after patch 13? As in, do you have to be in game at a specific time to see some live event or you miss it forever? Or is this something that everyone can experience for themselves as long as they log in at some point after patch 13?

I have a question about this narrative conclusion. Is this something that is happening live after patch 13? As in, do you have to be in game at a specific time to see some live event or you miss it forever? Or is this something that everyone can experience for themselves as long as they log in at some point after patch 13?

i dont think anyone can answer that who would answer it.

but even the things you can do from the narrative after the initial event, are likely going to missing aspects around the revelation of it's occurrence from the rest of the game. (ie, galnet had articles and things went into effect after discovering guardians.. you'll never be able to experience that again. But you can still do the guardian missions and visit the settlements etc). Something like that is your best case scenario. Worst case would be a solome type event.

No, that doesn't happen at all right now. your ship remains holding the pad unless you actually change modes or leave your ship (and leaving your ship may currently require leaving the hangar too..not sure) before players not docked see you leave the instance.

If it happened the way i described it, nobody would know what "station crowding" even was because it wouldn't be possible.
I see what you mean and you're correct, but to a degree I think the game effectively does what you say but at the time the instance is created when leaving supercruise when arriving at a station. Obviously, while that doesn't directly address crowding, I could imagine that the availability of certain pads is part of the spawn instance negotiation.

As for de-instancing when the ship parks, maybe there could be a timer? That way there's persistence for the most part, which I think is the best way overall, and should be a better goal to move to than away from.

I will also concede though that my idea would only really help crowding at outposts, where the multilevel wouldn't work without a major reworking of the outpost assets, and also when Elite can comfortably instance more than 30 players at a time.

i dont think anyone can answer that who would answer it.

but even the things you can do from the narrative after the initial event, are likely going to missing aspects around the revelation of it's occurrence from the rest of the game. (ie, galnet had articles and things went into effect after discovering guardians.. you'll never be able to experience that again. But you can still do the guardian missions and visit the settlements etc). Something like that is your best case scenario. Worst case would be a solome type event.

I’m aware of the Salome incident but was that a spur the moment thing or was a date and time announced ahead of time?

Usually when developers have a live event for their game they say live event happening on this date at this time..

I didn't say consoles were "god tier" and could do everything, I meerly stated that they're very good at what they do and they do very good things if you work with them rather than against them...

And on my point of how you can't compare their specs like for like with PCs - people build PCs supposedly with the same specs as "last gen" consoles but the same games don't look half as good or run half as good as they do when running on an actual PS4 or Xbox One.

Indeed PCs CAN run games better than consoles, if you spend four times as much or more on them, while some of their resources are wasted not actually running games!

Frontier COULD make Odyssey work on consoles if they and their engine was a bit more flexible, as said 95% of developers seem to be doing things with consoles better than them - look at Paradox and Stellaris...

People are asking for the console changes in the PC version :D .
The problem is that while console games can and often do play better than you would expect for a similar spec PC (reason being there is only one set of hardware to account for so you can really push to marry the game to the hardware) that rather depends on how much resource can be thrown at it. Personally I would guess that FDev are pretty much done with ED for a while as far a major work is concerned and need to focus on other projects (F1 being a big one). Likely January was the time where a discussion was held on the porting of ED to current gen and the impact that would have on everything else and it just wasn't worth it.

Obviously that's a very different matter than not being able to run on current gen consoles at all but unfortunately makes very little difference to us in practice.

Top Bottom