VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

I accept HLA is polished and a must try title.... but the majority of the vr I have isn't janky experimentation. we passed that point years ago. I will try it but it's just a case of not enough hrs in the day. it's a shame. I have covid at the moment so would be the perfect time to check some stuff out...... but I can't even gather the energy to play flat screen games so not gonna don the vr goggles. (am binge watching Halo and star wars clone wars instead)
Well you know what you're missing out on. Better try it when you got better, sometimes sickness has a habit extending to other experiences at the same time. Might connote a bad impression with a game.

i have so many vr games but just no time to play them - and strapping a big box to my face in 30 degree heat is not what i fancy right now.... but yeah there are some corkers on there no doubt. i do want to try astrobot at some point. unless it is emulated, i will be relying on someone with psvr however as whilst i have a ps4pro it never gets used (under 30 hrs i bet since i bought it just after launch) so not buying psvr!.
and my biggest claim to shame....................... i have still not bought half life Alyx yet. too many people tell me it will make all my other 1st person vr games obsolete. well i dont want to do that until i have played them at least 1st.
Mate.

That's seriously delayed gratification!

I've completed it a couple of times and have walked though it on easy to check out the commentary but I still play it every now and again whenever I want to savour the visuals.

The AI models (the things you shoot at) are just OK fidelity-wise, but everything else... wow.

As I'm sure you'll see for yourself one day :)

Edit: forgot to say how sublime the gunplay is too. Top draw stuff.

Braben is rushing the board in to FDEV Towers on a Saturday night to address this critical situation. Someone is refusing to buy cosmetics!

Seconds in... Wow, does that guy ever lean hard into the nonchalant enunciation routine - it's like Dylan Moran on morphine. :7

I would buy the new ship kits if FD would announce starting work on VR again. No VR no money.
So I would extend that from my perspective and also include every Frontier game past, present and future. I've not bought a single Ubisoft game for the past 12yrs because they walked away from the mess Silent Hunter 5 was left in, they just shut it down and wouldn't say a thing... fine that works two ways.

So I would extend that from my perspective and also include every Frontier game past, present and future. I've not bought a single Ubisoft game for the past 12yrs because they walked away from the mess Silent Hunter 5 was left in, they just shut it down and wouldn't say a thing... fine that works two ways.
I agree I will spend no more money on FD products till they pick up VR again.

This is a video of a brand new VR player playing ED. FD you would do well to pay attention to this.
Nice find, this video takes me back to my beginning few hours with Elite VR, priceless.
I truly don’t understand why Frontier doesn’t push Elite Dangerous as a VR title, it’s one of the best VR experience’s available.

I don't know why we ain't got a decent fighter sim like F22 lighting or something in VR.
Vtol is OK but not graphics wise.
Flying an airbus ain't my idea of fun. But l get it, bet its amazing in VR.
And the next gen of headsets will be lighter, no screen door, higher res etc.
As for space sims..there's only 1.
So yes why ain't they marketing it as the best VR space sim?
Cmdrs have gone to great lengths to run it!

Nice find, this video takes me back to my beginning few hours with Elite VR, priceless.
I truly don’t understand why Frontier doesn’t push Elite Dangerous as a VR title, it’s one of the best VR experience’s available.
If you look in the right place on steam Horizons is listed as a VR game. Why they refuse on ODY I have no idea.

I don't know why we ain't got a decent fighter sim like F22 lighting or something in VR.
Currently DCS with something like the F16 addon is your best bet, but the Su-27 (buy the Flaming Cliffs addons for that and a bunch of other jets) is also just as awesome.
One of the biggest issues to getting high fidelity modern jet flight sims, is that the level of detail today's customers demand in that genre is detailed enough to get you looked at by certain agencies when you start to develop it (or more likely close to release). The manpower requirements and amount of data required also means long dev cycle times, with little scope for iterating on a quickly released MVP.
There are other drag factors from other expected and unexpected directions, but I would say there is definately a bigger perceived market now that VR is properly a thing than before, so who knows what might happen in the future...

Vtol is OK but not graphics wise.
Flying an airbus ain't my idea of fun. But l get it, bet its amazing in VR.
And the next gen of headsets will be lighter, no screen door, higher res etc.
As for space sims..there's only 1.
So yes why ain't they marketing it as the best VR space sim?
Cmdrs have gone to great lengths to run it!

DCS has this, if you've not tried it before you are in for a treat.

You can literally cold start an F18 with all the cockpit controls and then launch from a carrier, complete your mission and land again all in full VR.

Microsoft Flight Sim also added the F18 with the Top Gun Maverick film tie in, but I don't think there is combat or anything like the cockpit simulation you get with DCS.

Top Bottom