Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

Got back from my latest exploration trip, bought a T10 that I'm going to outfit for courier missions.

Just kidding....

I'm going to outfit it for exploration.

That's also funny, but true in this case ;)
I like the T10, except for getting it through the slot :p For some reason, that's the only ship I consistently scrape the tail when exiting. It's got a great view, though. It'd make a nice explorer.

Myself, I logged into my Alt account and immediately decided not to stay in Empire space or do any missions at all. Instead I decided to pursue FSD engineering (lol). So, I flew out to Maia, hitting a few lucrative systems on the way. I picked up a meta-alloy, and took it back to Farseer. I arrived with about 5 million in Exploration data, which I sold to Felicity. That put me up to Grade 4 access and another half or so. So that worked out great.

Next on the list was raw materials. I had exactly none! Not even iron or sulphur. And I'd need a bunch of manganese and arsenic and whatnot for FSD upgrades...hmm. I did a bit of searching and found that planet 5D in Deciat (where I was) had Polonium and Volcanism. I went over there and scanned for POIs, and found a whole bunch of geological sites. I went down to a couple of them (nearly bumped the ground, it's a 2G planet and I wasn't paying attention!). Each site had fumeroles, and there was a lot of piceous cobble and needle crystals and such, each of which contained a raw material of some kind. It was pretty fast to pick them up since they were all right in the same area.

I spent an hour or so. I had 27 polonium by then (which translates into lots of arsenic), and a bunch of other mats. It was kinda scenic, too:

I'm not sure if I'll actually upgrade the Viper, though. I might rather spend the mats on a "better" ship. I'll figure that out later :)

He's totally worth it.
I put a lot of work his way.
And he's on a really nice planet. :D(y)

And done! Yes, his planet does look nice - he must get loads of CMDRs going and, at 200 units of gold per customer, he's even managed to cover Laksak A 1 in the stuff.

1QGQpDb.jpg

And now... Ram Tah wants a word in me shell-like.

EDIT - And Ram Tah is now available. Yay. That'll be it for a while I think.

Edit 2: yes, it will be a while before I open up any more engineers. Unless I travel 22klys, all the rest stem from me gaining 50 combat bonds. And trying that will end in tears, frustration and the mind-numbing boredom of seeing so much of the rebuy screen. Not too fussed though; I have plenty of 'em on board to add the furry dice and go-faster stripes to my XR3i's.

Last edited:
I gotta share this with you guys. I was updating my various utility programs, and discovered that the author of Edison created a spreadsheet of useful locations for gathering mats and stuff. If you use Edison you can import the list and have in-game directions to the sites. But even if you don't use Edison, the spreadsheet itself is very useful!

Check out the second tab, scroll to the right, you can see all the info on available mats and other details.

Perfect timing for me :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11E05a-hLGyOQ84B9dQUu0Z53ow1Xt-uqJ-xXJmtYq5A/edit#gid=0

I gotta share this with you guys. I was updating my various utility programs, and discovered that the author of Edison created a spreadsheet of useful locations for gathering mats and stuff. If you use Edison you can import the list and have in-game directions to the sites. But even if you don't use Edison, the spreadsheet itself is very useful!

Check out the second tab, scroll to the right, you can see all the info on available mats and other details.

Perfect timing for me :)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11E05a-hLGyOQ84B9dQUu0Z53ow1Xt-uqJ-xXJmtYq5A/edit#gid=0

Great share! I have a spreadsheet program somewhere. This will become a very useful tool. And I'm as keen as Lt. Dan to see what beauties can be dredged up at those planetary locales.

Great share! I have a spreadsheet program somewhere. This will become a very useful tool. And I'm as keen as Lt. Dan to see what beauties can be dredged up at those planetary locales.

I use this for spreadsheets and everything else:

It is free open-source complete office suite, absolutely brilliant.

I use this for spreadsheets and everything else:

It is free open-source complete office suite, absolutely brilliant.
Yes, a very nice open source tool. I also use WPS Office, it also has a free version - it is very office-like and even has things like converting word documents to .PDF files.

So, I have obtained my Federal Corvette, which I named Andromeda after a space battle ship in a story I wrote as a teenager. The FSD, thrusters, PP, and PD are all A rated. I FSD is also G5 engineered, and the thrusters are G3 engineered DD with drag experimental option. I also have the guardian FSD booster. It has a 33 LY jump range. I also have a couple of sheild boosters, heat sink launcher, chaff launcher and point defense.

I armed it with C4 beam lasers, a C4 seeker missile launcher, C3 rail guns and C2 multi-cannons.

It took it to high res sight to try out it's combat capability and summarily got my rear end handed to me. This was before I engineered the thrusters. Fortunately I have enough credits to absorb the rebuy.

I have a lot more engineering to do on this ship, but I need to unlock more engineers to do what I need to do.

Wow, okay...got my SRV a little stuck in a canyon in the mountains of Charon trying to get at the crashed ship there. For funsies, I recalled my ship (the T10) and she hovered with the SRV bay activated for pickup as you see here. I positioned myself right where you see the SRV, light came on for 'Board Ship' and she beamed me right up.

In case you didn't already know about it, useful tip!

I did a little USS investigating today, looking for manufactured mats. It's been a long time since I was out looking at signal sources, so I had to get used to how they work now. It's quite different.

I guess it's kinda better than the old days. At least you know right away after scanning the Nav beacon exactly what's out there. But I didn't find it much faster than before, just a little less random feeling. Meh. I don't care much for the whole signal source rigamarole. They could be cool, I think. But as they are they are pretty lame, and using them to find mats is not very fun.

I mostly needed lower grade stuff, so I did fine by dropping into Encoded Emissions, which I found a lot of. But I did keep an eye open for any HGEs too, cuz you can always trade down. But HGEs seem to be incredibly rare now. I saw exactly one, after searching quite a few high-pop systems, and it was 72,000LS away. I went out there anyway, and got proto-jobbies. Maybe they'll come in handy later.

Anyway, I now have all the mats I need for the FSD upgrade(s). But that brings me to a quandry.

I don't really love the Viper, so spending the mats on it doesn't make much sense at this point. But I don't know what other ship to get. I shall have to cogitate a bit on that :)

I needed to re-engineer a ship and it made me think: what about the experimentals? I'm trying to think of a good reason for not being able to pin them.

Is there one?

A quick look at the forums reveals this has been asked about before. It's just that there doesn't seem a plausible reason other than "lore" and making the process not a "fire and forget" engineer visit. I'll go with aRJay's idiots thing - no, wait, honestly Fe, I didn't mean it and yes, I'll be back with more work for you!

Top Bottom