Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
On the X axis there's only the numbers 01356 and on the Y axis there's the numbers 0135679.....most of the numbers on both are 1s....if it's in image I'm not seeing how to start rendering it.

I'll have a look in 12 hours. It's mainly the spacing and distribution that's making me think this, and I might be barking up the wrong tree, but even so...

I reckon ol MB and braben are pretty annoyed at how fast this stuff was found, it took them months to prepare and sort out the storyboard and in a few days it was unearthed. Guess they need to give more credit to their playerbase when it comes to problem solving and cartographics. Perhaps next time use the entire galaxy and not something close to home? It seems Frontier are seriously out of touch with their playerbase on exploration.

Last edited:
Some observations, I don't know if I'm saying anything new or of relevance.

1. When I scanned obelisks while in a private group with a friend, I got 1 piece of data (alpha, beta etc) per scan while when I visited the site again in solo, I got 2 pieces of data off the obelisks.
2. These data pieces go into the materials tabs and are considered engineering materials, they have different rarities.
3. Relogging allows to scan the same obelisk again and get data again. I think (but yet gotta check) the type of data you get from the same obelisk is random and doesn't mean anything (activation order or something like that).
4. Ship HUD also indicates I got Ancient Civilization Data or something like that off the obelisks. Haven't checked whether they show up in the transactions tab (forgot).
5. The towers that rise from the ground can also be scanned but don't seem to provide materials or scan data. No use scanning them then, or do I miss something? The crystal in the top of the tower can be shot down and looted without the scan.
6. While in private group, we didn't see ANY of the lootable objects from the cairns (orb, tablet, urn, casket, totem) but as soon as I switched to solo I found them everywhere.
7. The pattern on the obelisks looks like the scanner pattern / loading screen pattern.

I'm sure someone has already suggested this or something similar?

http://i.imgur.com/2mNUZMK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zTdntsN.jpg

That second picture made me think of the planet and its close orbit potato moon. Distance and ratio seem about right on first glance.

Bonus picture:
full.jpg

Last edited:
Some observations, I don't know if I'm saying anything new or of relevance.

1. When I scanned obelisks while in a private group with a friend, I got 1 piece of data (alpha, beta etc) per scan while when I visited the site again in solo, I got 2 pieces of data off the obelisks.
2. These data pieces go into the materials tabs and are considered engineering materials, they have different rarities.
3. Relogging allows to scan the same obelisk again and get data again. I think (but yet gotta check) the type of data you get from the same obelisk is random and doesn't mean anything (activation order or something like that).
4. Ship HUD also indicates I got Ancient Civilization Data or something like that off the obelisks. Haven't checked whether they show up in the transactions tab (forgot).
5. The towers that rise from the ground can also be scanned but don't seem to provide materials or scan data. No use scanning them then, or do I miss something? The crystal in the top of the tower can be shot down and looted without the scan.

That second picture made me think of the planet and its close orbit potato moon. Distance and ratio seem about right on first glance.

What!!!! So Soon? Remember what happened to the Barnacles!!!! Ugh! [wacko]

Given there's 3 starting points that all lead to the same 2 messages (X and Y), I don't think there's anything more elsewhere. Could be wrong, but it feels like this is all there is. The 4C (or DC if you translate the 4) clue in the message probably gives a pointer on how to translate the X and Y messages but I'm clueless on how to proceed.

4C could be the third coordinate. In hexadecimal 4C = 76

With two planets so close together you'd imagine that any civilization that builds advanced stuff on a planet would also have visited the nearby moon.
If the site is a machine it might have another 'pole' on the moon maybe?

I reckon ol MB and braben are pretty annoyed at how fast this stuff was found, it took them months to prepare and sort out the storyboard and in a few days it was unearthed. Guess they need to give more credit to their playerbase when it comes to problem solving and cartographics. Perhaps next time use the entire galaxy and not something close to home? It seems Frontier are seriously out of touch with their playerbase on exploration.

But it also begs the question

"Is there anything else to find to go with the ruins that will make understanding the ruins easier?"

Eg a big clue is something we've not seen yet because Fdev have not released anything that can lead us to it

Dont forget that archoelogy on earth is not just a matter of seeing the remains of a town, its about unearthing the history of the town and why it came to be destroyed.

So in this case, maybe thats what the crashed alien craft is, a ship that was damaged in an attack on the ruins and crashed in that system while on its way home..

Bill

<<<lost at Ceos currently

I appreciate that this is wild speculation at the moment, at least until we find a second Xenohenge. Also even if it is true trying to find the third point would be hampered by not knowing the angle which the third point was at above or below our "baseline". But it may be something for us to bear in mind?

Knowing that the triangles so far have been isosceles, it would be safe to assume, I think, that the triangulation of a third point would use the same rule.

As for the "moaning" every other page about how this was found:
How many of you could actually have found the ruins? From going through this thread, only a handful of people were on the right track. So what do you want? You're quick to criticize, but I don't see any solutions.
Should the clues be so hard, put somewhere in the whole of the galaxy, so that 50 years from know, your grandkids can come to you and say "hey grampa, remember that old mystery introduced on Elite dangerous 50 years ago? Someone just found a clue!".

so while you guys were busy mapping out every last dust-particle at the ruins i might have pinpointed the location of something we could not have found yet in 2.1
(i'm talking about the Gamescom message location where we see the dead white cobra)
if anyone's interested in the possibility of where it is:
9KKyilh.png

and look here
wrvZhTq.jpg

its the maia system :)

Knowing that the triangles so far have been isosceles, it would be safe to assume, I think, that the triangulation of a third point would use the same rule.

As for the "moaning" every other page about how this was found:
How many of you could actually have found the ruins? From going through this thread, only a handful of people were on the right track. So what do you want? You're quick to criticize, but I don't see any solutions.
Should the clues be so hard, put somewhere in the whole of the galaxy, so that 50 years from know, your grandkids can come to you and say "hey grampa, remember that old mystery introduced on Elite dangerous 50 years ago? Someone just found a clue!".

I'm absolutely not criticising those that managed to find the site, it was a stunning achievement that took a lot of hard work.

However - assuming (and from David's comment I think this is reasonable) that FD did not intend the site to be found via the trailer - what FD should have done (and they really really should have anticipated this) is to somehow modify the game and/or the trailer so the clip used did not reveal the true location of the site AND they should have included a disclaimer with the trailer that the locations shown did not reflect any actual locations (this in order to prevent people from wasting their time looking). Then they could have gone about slowly revealing clues to the whereabouts of the site in whatever manner they originally had planned.

Can confirm, scanned the same data point after relogging and got different patterns from it.
We get them in 3's, so it screams engineering materials!

its great that people are trying and everything. but the problem with overlaying the spectrogram from the UP on to the site means nothing. remember. we already figured out what it meant. it leads to col 70. So this must be new. right?

No we didn't. Some people have a theory that the spectrogram relates to the data but others are completely unconvinced by the leaps of logic necessary to make it fit :p

so while you guys were busy mapping out every last dust-particle at the ruins i might have pinpointed the location of something we could not have found yet in 2.1
(i'm talking about the Gamescom message location where we see the dead white cobra)
if anyone's interested in the possibility of where it is:

I'm currently looking for the same thing. I even have my monitor wrapped in shrink wrap with little circles drawn on around where stars are in the first shot. I can't say this technique is proving particularly successful though :D I did start in Maia, but I don't think it's quite right...either way, to get that much blue from the nebula you're down to a small number of systems...even smaller when you need a blue-ish star.

So I saw the satellite mystery and decided to do a bit of research into it. I know that a lot of what I am writing is wrong, but it's process of elimination; I'm letting everyone know what I've done so everyone else knows what not to do.

First I looked at the Eravate code:
X-ray

I tried converting it into various bases but it yielded no results, there are too many 1s for it to make sense.
Next I looked at the first code; specifically the '4C' at the end. I assume that this is hexadecimal. 4C in denary is 76.
Using this information, I put the Eravate code into a Caesar cipher/shift cipher with a key of 76, and this is what it resulted as:
}$~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~$~~~~~~
~~~}~~~#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~#~~~~~~#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~#~}~#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#~}!
~~~~~~~~~~!}~#~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~#~}#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~#}~!~~~~~~~~~!~}
As you can see, this is nonsensical.
I am inclined to agree with DLewth that it may be a 2D image, possibly containing coords or a star map. I'm probably over-complicating everything!
Here are a few facts which I believe are important when regarding these codes:
1. 4C is hexadecimal, in denary it is 76 and in binary it is 0100 1100.
2. Both the Eravate code and the Lave code could mean something in another base.
3. If the above is true, they have to be in a base higher than base 6 due to their numbers. It is also possible that they are in different bases.
4. If fact 2 is false, it is possible the codes form an image.

I hope this has been useful! I'm going to keep trying to make sense of it, first by attempting to make an image. Hopefully it will come out as something similar to what happened with the UA drawing the ship.

Last edited:
Along with 5 Scane Types: Alpha, Beta, Delta, Epsilon, and Gamma.

Omg this thread is so broken! Where can I get a refund!? :p

Seriously though, why put Gamma at the end. Also "Scane".

Maintaining this thread has to be a full time job. [big grin][up]

I'm currently looking for the same thing. I even have my monitor wrapped in shrink wrap with little circles drawn on around where stars are in the first shot. I can't say this technique is proving particularly successful though :D I did start in Maia, but I don't think it's quite right...either way, to get that much blue from the nebula you're down to a small number of systems...even smaller when you need a blue-ish star.

well we cant relay get the nebula that bright i think so its up to waiting in place for hours to see if anything out of the ordinary spawns sadly:(
and i tried most of the blue stars and maia fits the best so waiting around is what ill do for now

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom