I have a suggestion when it comes to faster than light travel. I hear a lot of bashing around current jump ranges from players when playing in a wing and I would like to make a suggestion for something that I believe would be an amazing addition to the game.

My suggestion would be centred around something that I believe would fit nicely into the lore at this time also when systems come under attack. So far we have an early warning system but I would like to suggest a way that we can react to attacks faster in our large ships as an attack/defence/support fleet. My idea is as follows, technology has been developed which can be initiated when a wing of ships group together, they have the ability to link their FSD drives for a jump that can carry them a large distance, when I am talking large distance I would maybe suggest something along the lines of adding the ships in the wings total jump range together and then multiplying it by around 2-3 times depending on how many ships are in the wing. To balance this ability out I would suggest it having a rather long cool down maybe around 1-3 hours, also the jump would put a lot of strain on the ships structurally damaging hull and even modules (not enough to make the journey completely wasteful but enough that this wouldn't be too imbalanced). I would also suggest that this would only be available for larger ships of a certain mass maybe around 450t.

How about just make “travel” faster in general.

I’m so tired of 5-10 min supercruise and jumping star to star... I want to use all my fuel on a single jump, if I so choose. I’d also like super cruise to be super... right now, it’ a little lack luster. You know it’s bad when you find yourself reading a book, or watching a movie while playing Elite. COME ON DEVS.. please speed travel up a bit.

Thank you for your consideration.

How about just make “travel” faster in general.

I’m so tired of 5-10 min supercruise and jumping star to star... I want to use all my fuel on a single jump, if I so choose. I’d also like super cruise to be super... right now, it’ a little lack luster. You know it’s bad when you find yourself reading a book, or watching a movie while playing Elite. COME ON DEVS.. please speed travel up a bit.

Thank you for your consideration.

You're not wrong. I consider logging in sometimes, but some of THOSE times, I don't. Because I have very many games, and many of them don't require staring at numbers tick down.

It seems like supercruise interdiction is kind of a thing that needs to happen. BUT- shaving off the boring parts, like how the last 10 seconds of an approach takes a VERY long time. Or flying past ANYTHING makes an approach slow down immensely. It was interesting the first few times, but now, it's just boring.

I would be fine with it, if a FSD Interdictor slowed people down and made the interdiction game interesting. But if supercruising around a system took a LOT less time? I would like that. It's just a pointless time sink, watching numbers tick down.

And it would also be fine if anyone could jump long distances? What would that even affect? Just have mass and FSD quality affect efficiency. So that ANY ship could jump a long way, if you tacked on enough fuel tanks and jumped to scoopable stars or stations. Because waiting for a hyperspace countdown, watching some stuff fly around, and then repeating the process over and over isn't terribly engaging gameplay either.

Right up there with how the game just spits a bunch of random missions at you, regardless of what you're fit for, what size pads you need, etc. I can't pick up a few missions in a direction I'm going, they just spaz around randomly.

It seems like supercruise interdiction is kind of a thing that needs to happen. BUT- shaving off the boring parts, like how the last 10 seconds of an approach takes a VERY long time. Or flying past ANYTHING makes an approach slow down immensely.
The last 10 seconds (I presume you mean "when the approach timer says 0:10", not literally the last 10 seconds of flight) can be the most exciting bit of a supercruise approach if you do it right.

The trick is to go faster, rather than throttling back and letting the auto-deceleration very slowly take you in.

1) Keep full throttle until the approach timer gets to 0:04. This will not take long from 0:10 at full throttle
2) When the "slow down" notice appears, drop throttle to about 95%, and pitch down so that your destination is on/just above the top of the screen. (Exactly where it needs to be depends on your FOV and your ship's supercruise agility - you may need to use the nav compass if it goes off the edge)
3) Fly a spiral inwards to keep the destination in about that position and at about 0:03 on the approach timer - if the timer drops to 0:02, loosen the spiral a bit - if it rises back to 0:05 or above point directly at the destination (and temporarily set full throttle again) to get back on track.
4) Line up so that your final approach - the last 0.2Ls or so, for a station orbiting a normal planet or moon - passes close to the planet. Use the steep braking effect of being close to a body to bleed off most of the rest of your speed.
5) Drop out on the target.

This (once you've practised enough to be good at it) can save about a minute compared with a conventional approach - more, for stations near gas giants, or on higher-gravity planet surfaces ... and because you actually have to pay attention and steer the ship, is also more interesting to do. If you incorporate a 'twist' into the spiral so that you end up approaching in a plane perpendicular to your original approach direction, it will also throw off 90% of NPC interdictions, saving even more time.

I'd recommend practising in something fairly agile like a Cobra III first - it can be done in an Anaconda, but it needs more experience.

I think there should be two methods of hyper travel.

1. Keep the current method of hyper jumps for people unskilled or unwilling to use new method.

2. The new method of hyper travel is a mini game which has the player travel in a witchspace tunnel which branches off in multiple directions. As the player travel down the witch space tunnel the response time to choose the correct tunnel is reduced.

If a player with a 30ly jump range ship and wants to jump 500ly, the route plotter plots the route as normal. When you jump, your first jump has a 5 second window of opportunity to choose the correct tunnel indicated by the HUD(If unsuccessful will end up back in the same system). If successful you will continue travelling down the tunnel and the game will reduce your window of opportunity by half(2.5s), if unsuccessful with end up at the first star in your plotted route. If successful you keep travelling down the tunnel and your window of opportunity is reduced by half again. If unsuccessful with will end up at your 2nd plotted system.

1. 5 sec to pick right tunnel indicated by HUD (failure stay in plotted route+ 0 system)
2. 2.5 sec to pick right tunnel indicated by HUD (failure stay in plotted route+1 system)
3. 1.25 sec to pick right tunnel indicated by HUD (failure stay in plotted route+2 system)
4. 0.625 sec to pick right tunnel indicated by HUD (failure stay in plotted route+3 system)
5. 0.3125 sec to pick right tunnel indicated by HUD (failure stay in plotted route+4 system)

Obviously the initial starting time can be adjusted depending how far FDev will want players to travel

There are hazards using new method, you will be kicked out of witchspace if you don't have enough fuel, and that last system you did reach might not be a scoopable star.

Last edited:
... I want to use all my fuel on a single jump, if I so choose..

No I cant see a problem with that at all....queue hundreds of players complaining on the forum because they have just jumped into a non-scoopable star system using every bit of their fuel and they're now stuck. :rolleyes:

No idea should be implemented that doesn't take into account the ability of humans to completely stuff everything up at the drop of a hat.

I can't believe you're all complaining about how "slow" supercruise is. You're travelling faster than THE SPEED OF LIGHT. In a lot of cases, 20 x the speed of light.

Does it feel slow? Yes it does! Because space is massive. Travelling at light speed it takes light from the sun to reach earth 8 minutes. Jupiter to Earth? 30 minutes or so. Distances in space are huge. Stop trying to make the game easier because you can't be bothered. [up]

Lestat

Banned
I think this idea terrible idea. If you have a group of PvP in a wing group chasing a single player that has no benefits. That single player is going to be forced into solo play.

I just wish Fdev would make it possible for wing mates to jump AT THE SAME TIME to a destination. Or better yet, lock the Nav computer onto the wing leader and let him fly the wing so all I have to do is steer.

Lestat

Banned
I just wish Fdev would make it possible for wing mates to jump AT THE SAME TIME to a destination. Or better yet, lock the Nav computer onto the wing leader and let him fly the wing so all I have to do is steer.
Now this I am ok with as long as they have the same range. The only problem I would see is Upload of new info. You know Slow connection or computer vs Fast computer and upload. I think that could be a problem.

The only thing I can say is load from the slowest computer.

Would be a lot easier, to have key locations to have jump gates, for example:

around the bubble, from federation, alliance, to Empire states key locations that have a set amount of jump gates, to fast travel 20,000 ly and at those locations a set amount of jump gates. We are not talking loads of them, it would be similar to the quasar star thingys we used to increase jump range, even if we have to spend some credits to use said jump gates, it would afford players to travel large distances not for profit but for exploring the black a tad easier, especially for players who don't have many hours to explore for hours on end, at least they can get to the other side to the galaxy and have a search about.

The knock on effect would increase the following:

More Cgs
More deep space outposts settlements
more mysteries to discover
More bubbles creations.

This would be a step forward in both exploring and colonising deep space in a small way.

BUT- shaving off the boring parts, like how the last 10 seconds of an approach takes a VERY long time. Or flying past ANYTHING makes an approach slow down immensely. It was interesting the first few times, but now, it's just boring.

There is a reason some people get bored in times other people are busy and there is a difference between those who approach a station directly in line with its mailslot (or its pads) while others approch the same stations from the backside and circle around aimlessly like drunken space peasants who don't have a clue and won their ships in a lottery!

There are no "last ten seconds" but "seven seconds" to let the station wander off center in the right direction so that the last corrections let you spawn off hyperspace in line with the mailslot (or the pads). Seriously... i consider starting a pirate career lurking at the back side of stations until the last space peasant learned the art of properly flying their xploit financed whiner vessels!

Last edited:
No I cant see a problem with that at all....queue hundreds of players complaining on the forum because they have just jumped into a non-scoopable star system using every bit of their fuel and they're now stuck. :rolleyes:

No idea should be implemented that doesn't take into account the ability of humans to completely stuff everything up at the drop of a hat.

That is a feature, not a bug. :D

I have vague memories from the DDF phase that piggybacking on jumps would potentially be a thing.
In that short period after a ship jumps, there'd be a chance to follow it through - I guess that nerfed itself into the wake scanner.

I think that mechanic would be useful for wings though.
Potentially allowing lower range ships to follow their longer range wingmate, at a vastly increased fuel use rate.

Maybe you'd have to be in a jump formation, or maybe the limitation would be based on ship sizes with only smaller ships being able to piggyback a larger ship's wake.

My guess is that player owned carrier ships will solve the problem of the wing arriving at the destination at the same time and perhaps also speed up travel for wings. I guess we'd have to wait and see.

maybe sorts the wings but unfair to those not in wings or wish to play solo, frontier wont do that, but worth considering all the options.

maybe sorts the wings but unfair to those not in wings or wish to play solo, frontier wont do that, but worth considering all the options.

If you're talking about the carriers, I do hope they can be purchased by players, not only by squadrons (or whatever FD wants to call them). And that by the time they roll them out I have enough credits to buy one :)

I have vague memories from the DDF phase that piggybacking on jumps would potentially be a thing.
In that short period after a ship jumps, there'd be a chance to follow it through - I guess that nerfed itself into the wake scanner.

I think that mechanic would be useful for wings though.
Potentially allowing lower range ships to follow their longer range wingmate, at a vastly increased fuel use rate.

Maybe you'd have to be in a jump formation, or maybe the limitation would be based on ship sizes with only smaller ships being able to piggyback a larger ship's wake.

has to be for all players include non wing and open play players balance always rem: :)

Top Bottom