"Have you had the chance to bag yourself a Krait Mk II or a Challenger yet?"

( Headline quoted from the newsletter )
No, is there a reason I should?

Krait is the same as a Python with unsightly blocky looks that remind me of Lego.
And both my Python's are already engineered - so, there seems to be very little point in new ships that merely mimic existing ships in numbers and loadout.
Ok, fighter hangar... If it had to be a Python equivalent with fighter bay for you - but I already got that on various other ships.

Challenger? idk if you liked the Chieftain, maybe its a minor improvement to you... But already for the Chieftain, I couldn't really see the need over other ships I have, nor was the cockpit view particularly enticing. (for an awesome cockpit, I might buy an otherwise same-same ship type)
I know, there's small differences - but not enough to spend the time, the materials, the credits and the money on - for me.
Granted, for players who only recently joined - a bigger selection is good at any rate

I think all we end up with, is the need to engineer another ~10-20 components and spend money on new paint jobs for no particular reason.

What's your take?

Have you found a real advantage flying these over one of your other ships for any specific purpose?

Last edited:
The Krait on paper looks like it's very similar to the Python, but its flying characteristics and potential applications are far different. They're both multirole, but not the same kind of multirole. It's a whole lot faster and more agile than the Python can be and has better convergence; overall, it's a vastly superior combat-focused alternative to the Python that can still do other things. It pitches quicker, has better lateral thrusters, and better in-combat handling characteristics outside the blue. It can boost forever with just two pips to ENG. When fitted for combat, my Krait cruises at 401 m/s, boosts to 555, jumps 30ly, and has a pretty strong high-resist, high-charge biweave setup (943 integrity, 59/44/65 resists, 3.7mj/sec regen rate; it'll be even better once the G5's are all totally maxed). It does this with 96 tons of cargo capacity.

A Python would be a little better shielded and carry a little more, but it'd be considerably slower and have much lower potential firepower.

I enjoy my krait, I still keep a python though just in case. Krait is awesome. Variety is good, doesn't matter if some other ship occupies the same niche, the fact that you have something different to fly is all that is important.

"Have you had the chance to bag yourself a Krait Mk II or a Challenger yet?"

Yes, I've bagged a few Kraits in CZs. They're pretty squishy. Haven't seen any Challengers though.

Last edited:
I have been playing a fully engineered PVP capable combat focused Krait for the last week or so. It's pretty good at everything. It's not superior to an FDL nor a Chieftain in terms of DPS potential, and slightly better DPS than the much nimbler FAS. I would struggle to say what it's best at except that it's the fastest ship that can carry an SLF (though by a small margin compared to the Cutter, but that's a very different ship altogether). The thing that it "excels" at is not doing anything badly, which tbh is something that precious few ships can claim. Of course, most ships have something that makes them the best at something specific which sort of balances out their deficits. But if you're the kind of player that would rather just fly a single unremarkable (except for the looks :D)ship that is competent at everything, then the Krait might be the ship for you.

Haven't flown the Challenger because it seems like a slightly adjusted Chieftain, and I'm not sure if the weapon build is better or worse for my game play style.

Last edited:
Yes, I've bagged a few Kraits in CZs. They're pretty squishy. Haven't seen any Challengers though.

Haven't been to any CZs yet, but I have been hitting HazRes for materials. They were pretty squishy there too, even in wings.

I've got one I've been gearing up for exploration. It flies nicely and sounds like a Viper, so it's all good. :) Have no real desire to outfit one for combat. Never been a fan of the Python for combat and doubt I'd like the Krait in that capacity for many of the same reasons. Besides, why bother when you can just hop in an FGS? You've got 2 class 1 hardpoints you can set up just for applying effects. I like LR dispersal cannons since you can engineer them to run up to MC velocity with impressive falloff. It's a minimal loss in DPS but a lot of added utility. The addition of the Guardian FSD Booster also negates it's limited jump range. I mention it because it too has an SLF bay, making it the closest competitor to the Krait next to the Python.

Last edited:

Krait is the same as a Python with unsightly blocky looks that remind me of Lego.
And both my Python's are already engineered - so, there seems to be very little point in new ships that merely mimic existing ships in numbers and loadout.
Ok, fighter hangar... If it had to be a Python equivalent with fighter bay for you - but I already got that on various other ships.

I didnt expect to like the krait due to its similarities with the python but its more maneuverable than the python and has pretty much the same internals, this and the fighter bay makes it a multi role ship but is more combat capable than other multi roles. Id pick one up and swap a pythons internals with it just to see if you like it.

As for the challenger im in the same boat, i see no reason to use it over the more agile and just as tanky chieftain.

The Krait might look like a Python on paper but flies more like a Cobra.

As far for engineering, since the Krait and the Python are so similar on paper, you can easily just put most of your engineered Python modules and weapons into the Krait, and your almost done with engineering.
I also had two Python, I switched one for a Krait.

Got a Krait, threw in some exploration equipment, SLF hangar, 6a fuel scoop and a FSD booster, pushing it to 40ly without even bothering about weight. I think I'll keep it.

Got a Challenger, stuffed it full of limpet controllers, 64t cargo and filled the military slots with guardian shield reinforcements, making it fully equipped for investigating installations and megaships. I think I'll keep it.

Krait's are paying about 250-K plus each so they are #1 on my to kill list. Have not run across a wanted Challenger yet...

Yes, at least for the Krait.

Krait is the same as a Python

No it really isn't. It looks far better, has a much better designed bridge with two multicrew seats, is faster and more maneuverable and carries an SLF.

with unsightly blocky looks that remind me of Lego.

It's really not "blocky" at all. I think the term you mean is "angular", which compared to the simple triangle-shaped Python is not a very meaningful criticism. I mean the Krait looks like it could be a Star Wars ship. The Python could only ever really fit into the Elite universe.

The Krait does not really "mimic" the Python. It provides a very competitive choice as an alternative with some very clear tradeofffs. If you're doing mission running or cargo hauling, or want a ship that is more durable in terms of shields and hull, then the Python is a better choice. If you're doing combat, want a fast ship, want to carry an SLF, or if you want an excellent bridge view for planetary activities, then the Krait is a better choice. The ships both look and fly very differently. There are so many differences between the two ships that they are very distinct choices.

You already have that on various ships that are either overspecialized in order to carry a fighter bay or are large ships. The Krait provides a medium multirole ship that can carry an SLF without taking some sort of massive penalty to do so. The only other medium ship options there are the Keelback, which is literally a flying SLF bay with almost no other redeeming features, or the FGS, which is too slow and has limited internals compared to the Krait.

Challenger? idk if you liked the Chieftain, maybe its a minor improvement to you... But already for the Chieftain, I couldn't really see the need over other ships I have, nor was the cockpit view particularly enticing. (for an awesome cockpit, I might buy an otherwise same-same ship type)
I know, there's small differences - but not enough to spend the time, the materials, the credits and the money on - for me.
Granted, for players who only recently joined - a bigger selection is good at any rate

I am not a Challenger fan because I hate what they did when they ruined the Chieftan's excellent exterior. However, many players are saying they prefer the Challenger to the Chieftan for various reason so I wouldn't dismiss it either.

I think all we end up with, is the need to engineer another ~10-20 components and spend money on new paint jobs for no particular reason.

I already had most of the Engineered modules (legacy mods) that I needed for my Krait in storage before the ship launched so I only had to Engineer a G1 low emissions power plant and a G5 charge enhanced PD to get my Krait outfitted. Since it uses legacy mods it's not fully optimized in terms of top-end performance but it still serves very well for my needs. I estimated that credits and legacy mods I had in storage probably took me around 20-30 hours to earn, so call that around 24 hours, plus I had already trained two SLF pilots up to Dangerous, which is 12 hours each, and when I got my Krait I trained one of the SLF pilots up to Deadly, which was another 12 hours. That means I have around 60 hours of "grind" into my Krait right now although only 12 hours of that was done after the Krait launched. So in my case since I already did most of the work before the ship was available it wasn't a hard decision to buy one and get it up and running. I haven't bought a paint pack since the default paint is fine (but not great) although I have bought $12.50 USD worth of engine colors and nameplates which I can also use on other ships.

Have you found a real advantage flying these over one of your other ships for any specific purpose?

Yes, I find that the Krait is one of the best multirole ships in the game and is every bit the equal of the Python if you want a more combat-focused multirole option. The Krait is my favourite ship in Elite and is now my main ship that I fly. I've even updated my sig to reflect this and I almost never update my sig. I've even parked my Corvette because I enjoy the Krait so much. I've parked my Python because I have no particular need to do any credit or rep grind at the moment. The Krait, however, allows me to do a little bit of everything and in particular is a joy to fly in combat. It's like a perfect cross between the Python, the FDL and the FGS. I had taken a break from Elite for around 6 months since before Beyond launched and the only reason I'm playing again is the Krait.

Really I would suggest buying a Krait, taking the modules from your Python and doing a test flight yourself. Since you mentioned you have two Pythons you won't even need to stop flying the Python entirely. If you honestly have no use for the Krait or simply don't enjoy flying it, then you can sell the ship hull at a minimal loss (10% of the base hull price which is around 4.6 million credits, or around 4 million credits if you buy the hull with a discount) and put the modules back on one of your Pythons. Most likely, however, you are going to enjoy the Krait enough that you want to keep the ship.

Last edited:
I'm a huge Python fanboy (that sounded better in my head somehow) but have sacked the Python for the Krait to work my way through the Guardian stuff. It's going OK and I can vouch for the fact that the Krait bounces off planet surfaces way better than the Python (I can't fly for toffee, let alone popcorn!)

I like the Krait, the looks are a little odd (it's too flat on top in the min-models on the HUD) but it has plenty of useful slots, good firepower & manoeuvrability. A good alternative to the Python, although imo the Python edges it out (could just be familiarity).

I bought a challenger the other day, checked it's stats (number of slots & weapon mounts) and immediately sold it again, it never even left the dock. Not sure why FDev would release a ship with this spec, maybe there's something about Thargoid killing or something that means a ship that's more expensive & slower than the Chieftain but has fewer large hardpoints is worthwhile, but I don't have a use for it other than to be a completionist.

The Krait on paper looks like it's very similar to the Python, but its flying characteristics and potential applications are far different. They're both multirole, but not the same kind of multirole. It's a whole lot faster and more agile than the Python can be and has better convergence; overall, it's a vastly superior combat-focused alternative to the Python that can still do other things. It pitches quicker, has better lateral thrusters, and better in-combat handling characteristics outside the blue. It can boost forever with just two pips to ENG. When fitted for combat, my Krait cruises at 401 m/s, boosts to 555, jumps 30ly, and has a pretty strong high-resist, high-charge biweave setup (943 integrity, 59/44/65 resists, 3.7mj/sec regen rate; it'll be even better once the G5's are all totally maxed). It does this with 96 tons of cargo capacity.

A Python would be a little better shielded and carry a little more, but it'd be considerably slower and have much lower potential firepower.

The Krait is a better smuggler/naughty person ship.

Z...

I like the Krait a lot. The Challenger i found... ...underwhelming. Then again i'm not much of a combat pilot (i'm far better at pointing my ship at things and flying there--exploring in a nutshell:D) so maybe i just don't grok the Challenger.

I bought a challenger the other day, checked it's stats (number of slots & weapon mounts) and immediately sold it again, it never even left the dock. Not sure why FDev would release a ship with this spec, maybe there's something about Thargoid killing or something that means a ship that's more expensive & slower than the Chieftain but has fewer large hardpoints is worthwhile, but I don't have a use for it other than to be a completionist.

I looked at the Challenger's appearance and hardpoint specs and haven't even considered buying one. I think the issue is that it's basically an inferior version of the FGS given the hardpoints are worse (3 smalls and 3 mediums on the Challenger instead of 2 smalls and 4 mediums on the FGS, plus both have a single large hardpoint), the power distributor is worse (class 6 instead of class 7) and there is no SLF bay. At least the Chieftan's hardpoints and speed offer something distinct from the FGS that made it worth buying. I think that players who are comparing it directly to the Chieftan consider the Challenger a decent alternative but really if I am going to buy the Challenger it should do something at least slightly different than my current fleet which has 30 fully-Engineered ships already.

Own both and have killed plenty of each. The Krait has a huge profile from top or bottom, easy to hit. Outfitted with full MCs, corrosive and green of course, she packs a punch and can stay on the back of one of the big 3 if it's not being flown by a human.

I was flying the Challenger today, about as tanky as I can make it without guardian stuff or any PP stuffs. Shields are meh. Otherwise handles like a sidewinder and FA Off is almost too easy. She doesn't slide like the Chief, but she can hold a good outside oval with guns trained on the target.

Last edited:
Have not tried the challenger. Not my style though I do love my Chieftain. As for the Krait? Hands down my favourite ship. I think it’s actually exceptional in combat despite how it looks on paper (pvp and pve) and it’s the first ship I’ve been seriously assigning to multicrew. Love it to pieces and it will tear up any Python unless there is a significant skill gap.

Top Bottom