Thargoids in BGS May Break Game

I can't help but giggle when there are complaints about things like Thargoids, piracy - basically other things trying to kill you in game, especially seeing as this has been part of Elite since... Erm.. What? 1984?

Some of these folk need to be introduced to docking in 1984 Elite!

Z...

How are new players or players who don't participate in combat (traders and explorers) supposed to defend their home systems when the thargoid incursion model rests on how many thargoids are killed?

Is Fdev's intent to push players into thargoid combat regardless of their own desires? How will this effect the xeno allies?

Under the new 3.3 modus operandi, players who cannot or will not engage in combat, generally, can no longer claim a "home system" and defend it from hostile takeover.

Under pre-3.3 BGS operations, it was entirely possible to "win wars" without firing a single shot, through exploration and trade activity alone. Now with 3.3, whenever "your" faction enters a war, combat is non-optional if you want "your side" to win.

So, Thargoid incursions are no different in that respect.

And I would surmise that the answer to the question "Is Fdev's intent to push players into thargoid combat regardless of their own desires?" is, that it is FDev's intent to push players into combat, regardless of their own desires. Thargoid combat is just one part of that.

As for "Xeno-allies": it seems FDev's answer is "Pax quaeritur bello". There shall be no peace, until we beat the stuffing out of them.

My main concern around Thargoids being added to the bgs revolves around Frontiers favorite thing to nerf: credits.

My anti-xeno anaconda cost upwards of 550 million credits. That was just the cost of the ship. I then had to engineer it to grade 5 from thrusters to hull to get it be survivable in a 1v1 fight with a cyclops. After that I had to have guardian equipment from module reinforcements to hull reinforcements to weapons to be able to do enough damage effectively.

This is an end game ship to sure. The amount of money it cost was significant.

How are new players or players who don't participate in combat (traders and explorers) supposed to defend their home systems when the thargoid incursion model rests on how many thargoids are killed?

Is Fdev's intent to push players into thargoid combat regardless of their own desires? How will this effect the xeno allies?

Seeing how you can murder scouts all day long in unengineered normal weapon ships and solo cyclops in small ships I don't think the 'credit issue' (which isn't a thing in reality) won't affect much at all.

Anaconda isn't and end game ship. Its an early game ship for those who see it and think I WANT ONE AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

Later, when they learn the game, they will understand the Anaconda is at best a mid tier ship for combat.

This is an additional mechanic, not a replacement one. It's one that looks like huge fun. FDev can't win, can they?

Well I mean FDev gets to set all the thresholds for how often incursions happen and how much work it takes to avoid them and then how much work it takes to repair stations, etc.

So if they want to, they can set it up so the odds are against us and we all have to come together as a community to protect an ever-dwindling number of stations, forcing us to pick and choose which sites to defend because the effort to defend them all makes it untenable. On the other hand they can just as easily make it really easy and inconsequential to fight off Thargoid incursions, maybe much easier than winning any given inter-faction war. We just don't know yet. And I don't think Frontier knows what the community is and isn't capable of in the first place, so they probably won't know where to set the thresholds to give the results they "want," anyway.

But the main thing to keep in mind is that Frontier almost certainly has a predetermined outcome for all of this. So if their plan is to turn this into a Battlestar Galactica story where we all get pushed out of the bubble and flee to Colonia and beyond (hey guess what there's going to be a new station at Sag A when Distant Worlds 2 takes place), and the community comes together at unprecedented levels to fight off the threat, well Frontier are just going to keep turning up that dial until no amount of player action can counter it. Likewise if they want Thargoid incursion to just be another "thing to do in Elite Dangerous," and not a major game-changer, they'll keep turning down the dial until the existing base of interested Xeno-Hunters are sufficient to maintain the relative status quo.

Under the new 3.3 modus operandi, players who cannot or will not engage in combat, generally, can no longer claim a "home system" and defend it from hostile takeover.

Under pre-3.3 BGS operations, it was entirely possible to "win wars" without firing a single shot, through exploration and trade activity alone. Now with 3.3, whenever "your" faction enters a war, combat is non-optional if you want "your side" to win.

Are you speaking from firsthand experience? It has been my understanding that once a system goes into "war" state; trade, exploration, even missions marked as "Inf +++++" all have zero effect on the BGS for the duration of the war. Only combat bonds move the needle at that point. I am speaking about the live game - I do not claim to know how it will work in the future.

Are you speaking from firsthand experience? It has been my understanding that once a system goes into "war" state; trade, exploration, even missions marked as "Inf +++++" all have zero effect on the BGS for the duration of the war. Only combat bonds move the needle at that point. I am speaking about the live game - I do not claim to know how it will work in the future.

Once the war goes pending but not actually live, you can spam influence by whatever means are available in whatever state you're currently in. If you gain a >3% lead for civil war (5% for war) and don't lose ground during the war itself, the faction can win the conflict without any combat transactions being entered.

Not convinced I will..

Seems only the Smeaton Specials really have the firepower to scratch em... So not really my problem to solve.

Doesn't appear to be the Alliance, Feds or Empire's either else they'd be committing capital ships to the fight. Can't see a Cobra making any sort of a difference..

Oh and there's an awful lot of systems, space being big and all, so.... And none of them are really home. And Thursdays are right out. As too is grinding anything because... Why would I?

Don't get me wrong, rescuing peeps from stations was awesome, best thing in the game thus far. But I've never actually seen a goid and would probably run if I did.

On the whole I like small ships, especially the Cobra, so whilst not entirely excluded from this gameplay I don't see any value in putting by donkey on the line.

Once the war goes pending but not actually live, you can spam influence by whatever means are available in whatever state you're currently in. If you gain a >3% lead for civil war (5% for war) and don't lose ground during the war itself, the faction can win the conflict without any combat transactions being entered.

That's not how wars will work in 3.3. Influence levels have nothing to do with who wins the war now.

You're talking about "winning a war" by starting it with higher influence and hoping no other players come along and raise the influence of the other side? By that logic is anything different between 3.2 and 3.3? Are wars no longer decided by who has the highest INF after they've run their course?

If anything, 3.3 should grant you more opportunities to win a war "without firing a shot," since Frontier are currently claiming that wartime missions will actually move the needle on INF this time around. (I'm skeptical and suspect that many of them don't know how the system works, but hey let's take them on their word for now).

So my picture of the situation is that Wars will continue to be at least superficially winnable "without firing a shot," maybe even *more* than before, and that Thargoid incursions are going to be the only state which requires combat (and only combat) to resolve.

If true, and if the state is "fixable" by a small enough effort, then this means every BGS oriented group is going to want to have an Anti-Xeno ship docked and ready to go at their home system.

Top Bottom