So this came up elsewhere, and it seems quite important with regards to getting invites etc., assuming it went in to the final game:
Source: https://youtu.be/rOYhoFYIWmw?t=7m15s

Before seeing this - hadnt realised that NPCs aren't in the PF, and getting to Elite does not mean you are in the EFP...

Interesting, hadn’t come across that vid before. Wonder how many more like that there are out there? I’ve watched all the dev diaries etc from the FD youtube website but not come across a hint of this vid.

He was talking of a test for the Elite Federation of Pilots from a combat focus, so it may well be there is a test which Combateers can be offered to join EPF, but I don’t think that is the Real Dark Wheel for the Raxxla Quest. From the Codex TRDW are a “legendary group of adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters” rather than combateers, so I think their test will be offered to explorer-traders. I’m still working on building a relationship with a likely candidate (iaw my current hypothesis); think I may have failed the test first time around by taking a mission from another faction so I restarted, but haven’t been offered the Cr40M donation mission again-couldn’t accept it first time as I wasn’t Elite trader then. But the test may be buggy since there was one Cr1M donation mission I had the rank and funds for but couldn’t accept, also there were a couple of missions to retrieve items which were bugged as there were two instances of each when I landed at the planetary search zones.
I’m working on this hypothesis as my Tyko clone, but wondering if I have to bring Jorki back from Colonia to restart. Perhaps you only get one chance.......

Interesting, hadn’t come across that vid before. Wonder how many more like that there are out there? I’ve watched all the dev diaries etc from the FD youtube website but not come across a hint of this vid.

He was talking of a test for the Elite Federation of Pilots from a combat focus, so it may well be there is a test which Combateers can be offered to join EPF, but I don’t think that is the Real Dark Wheel for the Raxxla Quest. From the Codex TRDW are a “legendary group of adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters” rather than combateers, so I think their test will be offered to explorer-traders. I’m still working on building a relationship with a likely candidate (iaw my current hypothesis); think I may have failed the test first time around by taking a mission from another faction so I restarted, but haven’t been offered the Cr40M donation mission again-couldn’t accept it first time as I wasn’t Elite trader then. But the test may be buggy since there was one Cr1M donation mission I had the rank and funds for but couldn’t accept, also there were a couple of missions to retrieve items which were bugged as there were two instances of each when I landed at the planetary search zones.
I’m working on this hypothesis as my Tyko clone, but wondering if I have to bring Jorki back from Colonia to restart. Perhaps you only get one chance.......
If you’re talking about the 40mil missions from September, they were something that FDev put in to stop the mission board locking up for people that scrolled to the bottom of the list and were not acceptable for anyone.

I doubt there are any tests in the game to become a member of the EFP. This was idea was probably scraped at some point. The founders permit is the defacto membership certificate for that bunch. Being a founder is the shortcut to membership.

I agree that The Dark Wheel is a separate group to the EFP. To me it seem unlikely that there are any active in-game criteria that triggers contact from TDW either.
The way the Codex is written it would seem they do contact a few of the best, but there is no evidence or even hints of this ever happening. If brave and competent is what they look for, one would think that at least some would qualify by now. Unless finding their station is part of the competence requirement.

Raxxla is another story. TDW does not know where it is, so we can't expect more than a few hints from them.

If you’re talking about the 40mil missions from September, they were something that FDev put in to stop the mission board locking up for people that scrolled to the bottom of the list and were not acceptable for anyone.
Ah thanks. I did enquire here if anybody had come across such high donation missions but nobody responded. Mmm, another part of the hypothesis knocked down...🧐

I doubt there are any tests in the game to become a member of the EFP. This was idea was probably scraped at some point. The founders permit is the defacto membership certificate for that bunch. Being a founder is the shortcut to membership.

I agree that The Dark Wheel is a separate group to the EFP. To me it seem unlikely that there are any active in-game criteria that triggers contact from TDW either.
The way the Codex is written it would seem they do contact a few of the best, but there is no evidence or even hints of this ever happening. If brave and competent is what they look for, one would think that at least some would qualify by now. Unless finding their station is part of the competence requirement.

Raxxla is another story. TDW does not know where it is, so we can't expect more than a few hints from them.
I think it’s likely you have to gain alliance, and maybe influence, for the faction by a series of test missions & at some stage if you pass they’ll reveal themselves as TRDW. I hypothesise that is the start of a permit chase to get to the station & maybe some clues as to Raxxla’s identity & location.

Those missions were a placeholder to prevent mission screen freezes once you got to the bottom of the list. They took them out when they fixed it. Everyone had those for a day or two.

Was Salome ranked Elite btw? I got the impression she wasn't but may have been let in because of her exposure of the whole Exodus saga, otherwise it kinda falls down flat there in terms of lore consistency but that's nothing new so not that worried. Do you have to be Elite to join DW these days? Back in 1984 Dark Wheel story said yes or at least Alex father said start there, but nowadays Im not sure that's still lore.

That video basically says that the EFP allows lesser ranked pilots in to do the lower rank needed missions and because they 'recognise' that the pilot is elite, they just haven't played long enough (made enough kills) to actually get the rank yet, so it allows us to be in the EFP from Day 1 at Harmless and do their missions. Its more for gameplay than story I think. (That Royal Navy analogy confused me, if English isn't your 1st language it may have completely confused what he was saying, or at least what I think he was saying, I may be more confused than I currently know) Rank is not based on skill it is based on a 'kill counter' and the EFP know and recognise this.

I have a horrible feeling the whole DW saga will be part of an update or CG (shudders at the thought) and open to everyone at the same time. I hope not. So we all have to promise not to spoil it for each other, if we get invited, we wont tell anyone else here how its done or even that we got the invite.

Made me laugh that DB never got to Elite in 1984. not just me then :) I got to Deadly 3 times and Dangerous a few more but always reset the game as all the challenge had gone by that point.

I have been considering killing off my secondary account so i can get into the the newbie pilots federation area.... i find it interesting that they have alpha and omega minor factions there as well as the sharur system ;)

I have been considering killing off my secondary account so i can get into the the newbie pilots federation area.... i find it interesting that they have alpha and omega minor factions there as well as the sharur system ;)
365px-Anarchist_%28Schneider%29.jpg
Winged_Sun_alchemical.jpg

"And he shall rule them with a rod of iron; as the vessels of a potter shall they be broken to shivers: even as I received of my Father. And I will give him the morning star." (Revelation)

I'm assuming this is nothing new. But do the new surface deposits usually look this thargoid. I usually only do fissures. And not usually up close. I was exploreing and looking in asteroids because of the other thread. Couldn't remember if this is a normal look and can't find any good pics online.

I could actually see this from a pretty good distance away. As in multiple asteroids away. Not what I normally think of as a normal asteroid deposit.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/8L3VeFk
Don't have stuff to scan it on me.

Last edited:
Was Salome ranked Elite btw? I got the impression she wasn't but may have been let in because of her exposure of the whole Exodus saga, otherwise it kinda falls down flat there in terms of lore consistency but that's nothing new so not that worried. Do you have to be Elite to join DW these days? Back in 1984 Dark Wheel story said yes or at least Alex father said start there, but nowadays Im not sure that's still lore.

That video basically says that the EFP allows lesser ranked pilots in to do the lower rank needed missions and because they 'recognise' that the pilot is elite, they just haven't played long enough (made enough kills) to actually get the rank yet, so it allows us to be in the EFP from Day 1 at Harmless and do their missions. Its more for gameplay than story I think. (That Royal Navy analogy confused me, if English isn't your 1st language it may have completely confused what he was saying, or at least what I think he was saying, I may be more confused than I currently know) Rank is not based on skill it is based on a 'kill counter' and the EFP know and recognise this.

I have a horrible feeling the whole DW saga will be part of an update or CG (shudders at the thought) and open to everyone at the same time. I hope not. So we all have to promise not to spoil it for each other, if we get invited, we wont tell anyone else here how its done or even that we got the invite.

Made me laugh that DB never got to Elite in 1984. not just me then :) I got to Deadly 3 times and Dangerous a few more but always reset the game as all the challenge had gone by that point.

Not sure that Drew Wagar’s Dark Wheel (Rebecca, Elyssia, Luko, etc with HQ in Rebecca’s ship in Tionisla graveyard) are anything to do with FD’s TRDW, their stealth station and Raxxla; since we do know that he was not party to anything to do with Raxxla. And EPF seem similarly unrelated to TRDW (unless they are the same thing and it’s more obfuscation!!), as Han_Zen said it may have been dropped after DB’s talk although a quite similar mechanism may also be used for TRDW recruitment. We do know (I think) that TRDW is a multi-tentacled organisation. None of the various Elite-ranked members of this thread have reported any such recruitment overtures!
I think DB’s words about Royal Navy and ensigns were confusing; think he was saying the RN have the White Ensign but other organisations have “defaced” versions (e.g. British Antarctic Territory), but don’t see the relevance, must watch it again. We really don’t know anything about how to join TRDW, whether Elite is necessary or not. Would make sense lorewise, but I think it’s not combat necessarily, more likely Exploration since they’re a set of “adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters”

Last edited:
Yes, think there’s one at one of the moons in Shin Dez. It’s an installation that you can’t land at, like the orbital farms etc that crop up in various systems.
Yeah, I'd noticed a bunch of new agriculturally flavoured installations seem to have popped up near the primary stars in multiple systems, roughly coinciding with the blight II/CG. Hadn't noticed them prior...

FYI from the TDW thread: Installations being found within belt clusters that don't show in the nav panel.
Yes, think there’s one at one of the moons in Shin Dez. It’s an installation that you can’t land at, like the orbital farms etc that crop up in various systems.
This is probably how whatever raxxla may be is hidden. Most likely the real DW station as well.

Installation probably a bug, friend in Colonia has one on their Nav Panel with no name but can still be targeted and flown to, just says unauthorised when you get there iirc, no name of it at all anywhere, so put it down to bugs.

Would make sense lorewise, but I think it’s not combat necessarily, more likely Exploration since they’re a set of “adventurers, explorers, investigators and treasure-hunters”

Sounds a lot like the Engineers huh? Been thinking for a while that they are the DW. Felicity refers to DW in Codex as being real (only one who actually does rather than say theyre a myth), names like Turner & Jameson imply certain heritage and Ryder is a direct link. Quite a few have to go through nefarious contacts to access, the others require a test of 'skill' in various roles - combat, trade, smuggling, explo. Cant quite make their bases into a wheel on the GalMap though....

Top Bottom