Patch Notes Update 2.4 The Return - Update 2.4.02 - Downtime scheduled

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
WOW

Thank you so much FDEV for ruining the game.. this new update has completely ruined the board, the factions that I have spent AGES building rep with and becoming allied with are offering either crappy 200kcr jobs (which before the update we’re at least 2mil+) OR they're offering me nothing at all.. I thought the reason we built rep up was to be offered better jobs with a higher payout? And now you’ve completely nerfed it.. well done 👏

Have rep sir. This is one of the most pertinent posts I have seen about this issue. Credits are (also) a motivator and the number a source of a sense of achievement in themselves. The game was fun again 'during the gold rush' - I suspect even for those with billions and all the ships.
yup.

Also, I currently are doing the Rhea, even after the nerf, because it pays okay and still gives a good boost in rank since most of them are federal. But the problem is that I take a huge chance doing it. Each run now only pays maybe 1-2 mil, but I risk being killed each time in a 6 mil insurance Orca. So I have to do 3-5 trips to cover any eventual disaster. That's a huge risk. I think the money should at least represent the risk you're taking. For instance, the illegal passengers don't pay enough to cover an insurance on a mid size ship even. And what's the use even to have rewards on killing targets since I don't have a ship that can do combat? I did 20 mil yesterday, but lost the ship once, so in total (not in 1 hr, but it took a couple), I made about 14m. It's okay payout but the only reason is the rank. I'm not sure how they can fix these things (except for a self-balancing system), but as soon as I have the rank, I'm not doing this route anymore (and hopefully the ranking on it isn't nerfed before I'm done).

Another thing that's unbalanced in this equation is that we're kind'a expected to go and battle thargoids with expensive ships (huge weapons, etc), and risk millions in insurance, and labor intensive methods to gain the money back? I'm not taking my expensive combat ships and risking them, only to spend a week trying to make the money to cover an eventual loss. Only way to play this part is that there are ways of making money fast, especially when you have good rep+ and ranks, which means you spent the time to achieve the right to higher payouts.

for tl;tr summary: high risk too risky and not enough to make money back for insurance, and not even with high rep/rank. The whole equation is unbalanced. Destroying motivation.

Last edited:
15 LY is a single jump, 106k LS take some time to reach - more then 5minutes travel in the destination system alone
22-23 LY is also a single jump for a passenger ship, but 26 LS is no more then a few seconds. the whole travel here can be done in less then 5 minutes
No. 22-23 thousand LY isn't a single jump. He said, "22,265 LY" That's Twenty two Thousand and Two hundred Sixty Five. If you have a ship that can do that in a single jump, then I want it. (edit: I see now. You probably come from Europe or such and consider comma as a decimal comma. He wrote in imperial style where comma is the grouping marking, so the international number would be written instead: 22 265 LY.)

so, from the time perspective, the payout its scaling well for those two missions.
No it's not, since for me, in my anaconda, it will take 371 jumps minimum for the 22,265 LY trip unless I do a bunch of boosted jumps. That's still many hours.

IMHO the missions this change adresses, are those where you can buy cobalt at the station where you get missions to mine for it.
Still, mining doesn't pay enough to cover insurance on most of my ships. So it's not even worth the risk.

Last edited:
I think ou'll need to recalibrate.... the absolute record for that kind of distance, involving one of the best exploration pilots and a lot of testing and planning, is a tick over two hours: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...A*-Challenge?p=5975176&viewfull=1#post5975176
And it was optimized for speed and assume many neutron jumps. Don't take on passengers (affect jump range) and especially not "hull damage scared" passengers if you're doing neutrons.

With passengers, you have to take it cool and meticulous, so you're right, it will take a lot longer than the record.

For the average pilot in a exploration grade ship with ~50 ly unboosted jump range, you're looking at 8 hours or more. At 50 ly jump range, you'll need 440 jumps for 22,000 ly. With a good scoop and scooping technique (and server connections), you can manage a consistent 1 jump/minute. 440 minutes then, which equates 7h20m. Anything faster than that, and you'll need (a lot of) jumponium and/or neutron boosts.
Agree. But neutron boosts will be risky with passengers, since many of them are hull-freaked.

Whatever you guys did with 2.4.02 , way to go. The game has never run better! :D
Even if I sound displeased and salty about the mission rewards, I agree that it runs really nice. The whole 2.4 was a great update. It's just a matter of finding the right balance on things.

They really managed to nerf the Rhea run. It pays now about 100 k down to 0 (zero) CR. You can get some commodities and materials for the effort. And of course, taking the risk of losing 6 mil in insurance. High risk, no rewards. Sucks. Passenger missions used to be the best.

Last edited:
I find that if I just play and ignore all the details of patches, nerfing, exploits, etc... I have a great time. I just assume that this is how the universe works. Payouts are low or high for reasons beyond my sad little pilot's control. Damage is high or low for the same reasons. People scan/ram me because the galaxy is filled with suicidal psychopaths. My ship randomly explodes in space stations while docking because hidden explosives/terrorism on my landing pad (or who knows, since I'm dead).

I immerse myself in the Elite Dangerous galaxy and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. It really works and I have a ton of fun. I give no s about "balance" or "exploits" or "mission count" as they don't have any effect that I can see. I still keep making lots of credits when I need them. I utilize every system, market, procedure, and mission to make as much profit, rank, engineering as possible in the shortest time possible. It doesn't matter what the developers do, as when I'm playing, they don't exist. It's me and the universe.

I go searching for places that allow be to do what I want to do and work them to the max. When I need credits for the next ship project, I search out systems that pay out well and have lots of missions (relative to other systems/stations) and I find I do pretty well. Usually within a few minutes I have found several candidate systems to try and one turns out to be a winner. I've become fairly skilled at searching for high paying system types for many different mission types, and patches have had little or no effect on this.

Just like the real galaxy, nothing is balanced. The powerful almost always control and dominate the weak. The rich run everything and poor get the shaft. The little guy almost always loses. Criminal behavior is barely punished, often rewarded, and karma does not exist. I love every one of these things in Elite Dangerous, it is by far the most realistic game I've ever played.

Last edited:
yeah, you guys are right...
why would anyone use outdated imperial decimals to begin with? :p

didn't the past alredy teach that this is problematic (crashed mars lander)
you may have found the reason why the mission rewards are so imbalanced...

Last edited:
yeah, you guys are right...
why would anyone use outdated imperial decimals to begin with? :p

didn't the past alredy teach that this is problematic (crashed mars lander)
you may have found the reason why the mission rewards are so imbalanced...
You might be on to something. Maybe the data does have comma instead of period, and the text-to-integer conversion reads it as decimal-comma, so the distance is wrong in the algorithm. Who knows? You could be right.

I find that if I just play and ignore all the details of patches, nerfing, exploits, etc... I have a great time. I just assume that this is how the universe works. Payouts are low or high for reasons beyond my sad little pilot's control. Damage is high or low for the same reasons. People scan/ram me because the galaxy is filled with suicidal psychopaths. My ship randomly explodes in space stations while docking because hidden explosives/terrorism on my landing pad (or who knows, since I'm dead).

I immerse myself in the Elite Dangerous galaxy and pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. It really works and I have a ton of fun. I give no s about "balance" or "exploits" or "mission count" as they don't have any effect that I can see. I still keep making lots of credits when I need them. I utilize every system, market, procedure, and mission to make as much profit, rank, engineering as possible in the shortest time possible. It doesn't matter what the developers do, as when I'm playing, they don't exist. It's me and the universe.

[...]

Just like the real galaxy, nothing is balanced. The powerful almost always control and dominate the weak. The rich run everything and poor get the shaft. The little guy almost always loses. Criminal behavior is barely punished, often rewarded, and karma does not exist. I love every one of these things in Elite Dangerous, it is by far the most realistic game I've ever played.

Same here. I consider the game to be meditative escapism, not more, not less. Maybe that's why the exploit lane to MegaCrs., patches, buffs and nerfs don't bother me that much. Maybe I walk a slower pace but the achievements doing so feel more natural and rewarding.

And if I get impatient I still can hop onto a CG or exploit a goldrush anytime one pops up with no moral borders broken.

Last edited:
Why why why????? Back to 8 or 10 missions only? Frontier stop doing one step ahead and 5 steps back, the number of missions where just fine, people complains where about repetitive mission types, like mining. Why reduce the number of missions and choice available to players? Why force players to waste time and do board hooping? Why why why????!
I’m realy mad now. This game could be soooooo much better if frontier didn’t mess it arround with this realy bizarre steps back.

Why why why????? Back to 8 or 10 missions only? Frontier stop doing one step ahead and 5 steps back, the number of missions where just fine, people complains where about repetitive mission types, like mining. Why reduce the number of missions and choice available to players? Why force players to waste time and do board hooping? Why why why????!
I’m realy mad now. This game could be soooooo much better if frontier didn’t mess it arround with this realy bizarre steps back.

By reducing the gross number of missions it's less likely you get to stack them so you can fully enjoy the "variety" of space! :D

Btw, anyone got word on the cAPI yet? It's driving me crazy, voice attacks and EDDI really depend on it.

I used to have year(s) ago (here since alpha) great time/timing with (passenger/hauling) missions when they paid just right, not too much but well covered risks, and there were good missions usually on board if station right. If one mission type like hauling missions started to pay way too less , I just used money from that to upgrade my 50+ ly Anaconda into a cruise ship, and soon were even richer, and then so on, going where the money was.

So I grinded different (repetative even, though not that badly at all) hundreds or thousands of hours every time I had an opportunity to play Elite during last few years, even though I dislike grinding (though in Elite views and music etc. made it kinda fun pretty often/usually, even station to station hauling next to nice planets or landings), and it seems I got rich just in time before all these "adjustments/nerfs" (or in right place at right time avoiding nerfs mostly).

And that has now allowed me to come full explorer, and to be honest reading here makes me wanna stay out of the bubble for now... I have kept long pauses from playing waiting new planets to open up, and guess I still will...
That aint surprise though, I mostly wanted in my dreams from this game to be eaten at some planet I found wearing (Oculus?) VR. :) HURRY UP GUYS, PRETTY PLEASE!

Because I had a exploration related dream it all aimed to, to have ranks and cash to get/access every ship I wanted before I head for rest of eternity into the unknown black to find and encounter life on planets when they open up for landing, so Iwhen exploring (after getting enough money and enough of missions) I have been bookmarking/claiming my name on candidates with life (so much i runned out of BOOKMARKS, PRETTY PLEASE MORE BM´s!)
And thus so far exploring for me has been just for fun (not that lousy pay that wont cover repairs on my 50+ LY Anaconda´s structure), but motivation also from that future dream when I roam out there far away from other players and their problems with Thargoids, low rewards and so on ( just like a true Finn).

Then I could not actually care less if FD made you guys pay from missions, as long as I get my planets ;) Not going back to that I pay/I dont pay taxi thing anymore...

Thank you FD, your decisions to make missions not worth it (especially by changing it from good pay to very bad pay every few months or so) will certainly get 99% of players pretty soon out of the bubble as soon as they just have a ship for it, and from my perspective that is what this game really is and should be, exploration on OUR Milky Way we see every night... Assuming ofc that you get more of those planets out there for landing (=content, moons get pretty old quick)...

But just pretty please, when those people head into black exploring, have something out there more than now, dont disappoint these sensitive millenials etc. twice after missioning, I can see few months and years ahead, and wait, but not many younger than me can.

Last edited:
15 LY is a single jump, 106k LS take some time to reach - more then 5minutes travel in the destination system alone
22-23 LY is also a single jump for a passenger ship, but 26 LS is no more then a few seconds. the whole travel here can be done in less then 5 minutes

so, from the time perspective, the payout its scaling well for those two missions.

IMHO the missions this change adresses, are those where you can buy cobalt at the station where you get missions to mine for it.

Yeah you misread that. The first mission is around 15LY, the second mission is around 22-23 THOUSAND LY.

Was there any mission changes between 2.3 and 2.4? I can't see any. There was a short period of time when you got more missions but they reduced this back down again. And there was a short time when they increased the rewards, then reduced this back down.

And here am I trying hard to find what we got in 2.4 and I'm seeing....NOTHING

I have no interest in the aliens as I never got interdicted and even with 2.4 have not come across one single Thargoid - they do not exist to me.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom