Add Comets, Oort clouds, and other new shiny stellar phenomenon?

I love the galaxy in Elite, but I always wished there was just a little more to the asteroid belts, planet rings and other non-planetary bodies out in the black.

I think it would be fun to add comets that travel from system to system, maybe even some large enough for small ships to land on, or Oort clouds in some systems.

....While I'm on the topic, letting us crash into asteroids to push them into a planet's orbit / poor man's planetary bombardment? Eh? Please? (I know this last one likely won't happen, but I can dream)

Last edited:
I love the galaxy in Elite, but I always wished there was just a little more to the asteroid belts, planet rings and other non-planetary bodies out in the black.

I think it would be fun to add comets that travel from system to system, maybe even some large enough for small ships to land on, or Oort clouds in some systems.

....While I'm on the topic, letting us crash into asteroids to push them into a planet's orbit / poor man's planetary bombardment? Eh? Please? (I know this last one likely won't happen, but I can dream)

I like the idea of adding comets and more stellar phenomena but a comets surface is really unstable especially when they are close to stars so landing on them isn't really practical. Planetary bombardment? Are you a supervillain out to destroy planetary bases or something lol.

Tbh while the added stellar phenomena idea is definitely cool we probably wont get any new things like this until the next version of the game drops. It would be awesome to fly next to comets in supercruise or see meteorites falling as you drive around in a srv. Though since the planets we drive on don't have atmospheres(maybe never will) the meteorite idea wouldn't really work.

That's a good idea, you can hop on one and wait 400 years for it to get to the next nearest system.

That's a good idea, you can hop on one and wait 400 years for it to get to the next nearest system.

Yeah even if a comet gets ejected into deep space it's going to be moving far under the speed of light and even going the speed of light would take too long.

Last edited:
I'll add my usual here as well, there's a max number of astronomical bodies FDEV can insert into each system, it's a fairly large number, but it's not a huge number so comets if added wold probably be in the single digits for most systems, and systems like Sol probably have a large number of reserved spaces for future content already, as metatheurgist stated comets are probably already counted in this number but lack sufficient game play reasons or even graphic attractiveness for FDEV to add them at the moment.

Oort clouds? We already have some Kuiper belt objects in game but the Kuiper belt is exactly that, a belt of object surrounding the solar system around 30au to 50au out. the Oort cloud is a cloud completely enclosing the solar system at a range of 1,000au to 100,000au, extending roughly 1 tenth the distance to alpha centauri, so you are talking about Hutton Orbital distances to get to Oort Cloud objects. Whether it's worth adding a lot of them or any at all is questionable considering the time to get there and the actual usefulness of icy blobs that far away, miners won't go there, put bases out the and people complain because they are to far away and it takes to long to get there. Of course you could add them as feature of a faulty FSD if it drops you out of hyperspace early or misjump you could end up in an Oort Cloud somewhere, but unfortunately misjumps aren't part of the game.

Top Bottom