An open letter to Frontier Development

Then you are actually terribly wrong here. Elite right from the start was not only about moving a bunch of pixels through some black space and use a line of extra pixels to turn other bunches of pixels into clouds of pixels. I mean, purely technically that was what you mostly did. And purely technically, that's still what people do on the game today.

All the rest happens in your mind. And that's not just to this game, but many others. Denying the games the part of imagination paints a very poor and sorry picture of those games and people playing them that way.
Yeah. I have checked over 200 systems in the search for Gan Romero just to find out it's just a story, it's not in the game. So no thanks, I'll pass the imagination part.

Obviously you don't understand the reply, thus not even going to understand the points I made in my original post and copy paste item. Take care and please read carefully before you answer.
I'm beginning to think you are a doll smoker...

doll smoker.jpg

Pie in the sky talk, but it would be quite nice to have a more organic news system in the game.
  • Players submit stories to be posted as local news in a specific system.
  • Subject to FD approval the news item is posted locally.
  • Players who read it also start to seed it. The item gets added to the local news of the next few stations they dock at.
  • If an item crosses a reader threshold, say 1000 unique reads, it gets posted to Galnet.

This kind of organic info spreading by players is similar to an idea I had for trade data, however that would require each player and station to have their own database of prices that gets cross-seeded every time they dock.
3rd party tools would still do a more comprehensive job, but this would reduce the need to use them.

Last edited:
Then you are actually terribly wrong here. Elite right from the start was not only about moving a bunch of pixels through some black space and use a line of extra pixels to turn other bunches of pixels into clouds of pixels. I mean, purely technically that was what you mostly did. And purely technically, that's still what people do on the game today.

All the rest happens in your mind. And that's not just to this game, but many others. Denying the games the part of imagination paints a very poor and sorry picture of those games and people playing them that way.
I'm not denying the imagination part of the game. I'm saying everything should be reflected by the gameplay. This guy literally loves Gan Romero's story. While many people searched for him in the game for days with hopes to find him, OP probably read the Galnet news and sit down and dreamed about him. That's not a game.

Yeah. I have checked over 200 systems in the search for Gan Romero just to find out it's just a story, it's not in the game. So no thanks, I'll pass the imagination part.

That's a completely different thing. I mean, you still think you fly a spaceship. You think you fight Thargoids. You think you have an Elite combat rank and are aligned to somebody calles Zachary Hudson.

All of that are very much imaginated things. Nothing is real. (Sorry to tell you that. ) So I think you actually very much do buy into the illusion of the game. If you wouldn't, there'd be not much reason to be here, I think.

What you point as an example is a different problem. It's not on the imaginary part. It was some massive flaw of communication there. It's one of the things FD now uses as reason not to do it any more: they had a problem distinguishing between mere "flavor" text and things pointing towards in-game events. Things got muddled up.

So yes, things went wrong there. But that's also covered in this thread. More than once it was said that a very simple marker of "actually is connected to in-game mechanics" would solve this. With this marker in place, this confusion would not happen any more. So we could have all the fluff, while it would not mislead people into such fruitless searches. A victory for both sides.

I'm not denying the imagination part of the game. I'm saying everything should be reflected by the gameplay. This guy literally loves Gan Romero's story. While many people searched for him in the game for days with hopes to find him, OP probably read the Galnet news and sit down and dreamed about him. That's not a game.

As the game world is part of the game, it in a way is part of the game even when just pondering about him. Yet I do agree that the story, seeming to be happening in game, but actually being on GalNet only, was not handled well. But that's not a reason to hate it and to get rid of it. It'd be much better for the game if this is upgraded, so either kind of player knows what he's looking at and knows if and how he can make use of it.

Last edited:
You have a very strange definition of 'no work required'...

Maybe if everyone who wants the fluff back could say how many months they are willing to delay FC and New Era in order to add the fluff it would help change fdevs mind. Though I doubt you will be able to persuade them to put New Era back more than 6 months as they already announced it would be next financial year. I guess they could postpone FC again - if that's what you really want - but I believe some people are waiting for new content and may disagree ... 🤔

Galnet news is not fluff; it is (or could be) critical information on what's going on. It would be no good having new content if nobody knows about it, would it? The point is that the community is creating lots of good stuff which just isnt visible to many players. FDev as a business, Elite as a game, and plenty of players are losing out on the value of all of this.

Moderating a handful of news articles is unlikely to delay the 'new era'. You never know: hopefully more player/communityengagement will be part of the new era, it could fit well with base building, space legs/FPS elements.

Greetings Commanders,

We would like to thank everyone who has taken the time to voice their concerns and feedback around the reduction of GalNet articles, as well as sharing with us suggestions on ways that we could utilise existing community groups and content to re-introduce them.

We wanted to expand a little more on the details of what led us to this decision. While the previous narratives that were told through GalNet articles gave an insight into what life was like in the 3300's, they also gave players an expectation that these stories were unfolding in-game, and that commanders could fly out to the system and see or even engage with what was happening (which they could not). This, in part, contributed to our reason to shift the focus of GalNet articles to in-game narratives and occurrences, over out-of-game ones.

However, we also want to mention that the narrative/writing team are not solely responsible for writing GalNet articles, but also a number of other duties that contribute to the creation of Elite Dangerous. With the advent of the Fleet Carriers update and the 2020 release, their efforts have been focused on ensuring that all of the text required for it is done in time. Although they are an extremely talented team, they are a small team, which means that we had to prioritise some content over other content, such as GalNet articles. Although we love seeing the incredible content the community news outlets create, editing and implementing it into the game still demands a degree of focus that we do not have currently in scope for the writing team.

We hope that provides some context to why, at the current time, the plans for GalNet articles are unlikely to change. That said, we have passed this feedback on to the team for consideration and will keep you updated if there are any changes.
Cheers Stephen, if a tad disappointing 👍

Here's hoping New Era is a resounding success both financially and popularity, so that FDev's top-brass feel justified in substantially expanding & supporting the Elite Dangerous devteam to 150+ people. Because with respect to the current 100 devteam and their excellent efforts & productions, it's clear that they are simply too stetched to meet the MMO demands of constant feature/content/narrative/event/expansion additions & live maintenance.

My best wishes to the team in these strenuous times 😀

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
While the previous narratives that were told through GalNet articles gave an insight into what life was like in the 3300's, they also gave players an expectation that these stories were unfolding in-game, and that commanders could fly out to the system and see or even engage with what was happening (which they could not). This, in part, contributed to our reason to shift the focus of GalNet articles to in-game narratives and occurrences, over out-of-game ones.
So all the stories about Halsey and Palin, were meaningless the whole time? There's actually nothing in game to do with the original creators, or Palin's kidnappings and there was never intended to be? All of the background on the powers and the internal struggles that made the galaxy feel alive were, in Frontier's eyes, meaningless. I say meaningless because you are happy to just drop them all without any consideration.

When you said the use of Galnet was changing to focus on in-game events, I actually thought that this sort of stuff was what you meant, alongside IIs and CGs obviously. When it was announced that they were on hold, I had still expected Galnet articles to continue.

I can now see that my hope was misplaced, at least I won't expect it to start up again, certainly not for a year at least if you decide to start using it again. What exactly was the point of Galnet Audio? Sorry I'm massively disappointed.

All off that are very much imaginated things. Nothing is real. (Sorry to tell you that. ) So I think you actually very much do buy into the illusion of the game. If you wouldn't, there'd be not much reason to be here, I think.
Thanks for letting me know, didn't read the rest.

Oh...and another thing that wouldn't be an issue:

All those community-driven events (BuckyBall, Expeditions, Hauling-Runs) were made by dedicated Elite-Fans. I'm pretty sure that all those folks would gladly deliver a GalNet Article that FDev just have to copy/paste into.

While I understand the reasoning for this change, the simpler change would have been to clarify to players which posts were "background stories to make the universe seem more lived in" and which ones where "player involved stories". That way you would have solved the issue of wild goose chases without diminishing the atmosphere setting property of Galnet. Just removing the "background stories" seems to me to be a very drastic way of resolving frustration for those players.
[...]

I'm afraid you're wasting your time. That was just a convenient straw man at worst or a very, very insignificant part of the real reason at best. It's all about available manpower and priorities. This whole "we don't want to confuse our poor players" is PR sugar coating (and a bit patronizing imho).

Unfortunately Frontier's communication has gotten more and more EA-like (other soulless publishers are available). Obviously it's their decision how they want to handle things, but they shouldn't be surprised if at some point they end up with a community like the one of an average EA game as well.

A lot of good will has definitely been lost over the last couple of months/years and it's sad to see.

Frontier has just announced that they don't plan on doing anything with GalNet, so we might as well throw down our picket signs and go home :(

iu

Now I just need to decide what to do with this avatar...

I'm afraid you're wasting your time. That was just a convenient straw man at worst or a very, very insignificant part of the real reason at best. It's all about available manpower and priorities. This whole "we don't want to confuse our poor players" is PR sugar coating.

Unfortunately Frontier's communication has gotten more and more EA-like (other soulless publishers are available). Obviously it's their decision how they want to handle things, but they shouldn't be surprised if at some point they end up with a community like the one of an average EA game as well.

A lot of good will has definitely been lost over the last couple of months/years and it's sad to see.
I'm honest...If there was another SpaceSim for VR like ED is imo, I would seriously think about changing.

Oh...and another thing that wouldn't be an issue:

All those community-driven events (BuckyBall, Expeditions, Hauling-Runs) were made by dedicated Elite-Fans. I'm pretty sure that all those folks would gladly deliver a GalNet Article that FDev just have to copy/paste into.
You mean like in the good old days?

Top Bottom