How to install ED on Linux using Wine [EXPERIMENTAL, NOT OFFICIALLY SUPPORTED]

About the ghost bitmaps - this has happened before on Windows machines where faces appeared on planet surfaces, so this isn't necessarily a Linux thing and more to do with VRAM usage and/or game engine and/or drivers, etc. Also, it's kinda getting off-topic (How to install ED on Linux using WINE) so I suggest you take it to PM's or perhaps take it up with the WINE devs and/or DXVK devs as one or two of the participants of this thread do :)

Regards o7

Hey, wanted to quickly share my recent experiences seeing how they kinda differ from the most posts here. About VRAM, for some reason, as soon as the game boots up, all 4gb of 1050Ti's VRAM max out in an instant, nvidia-settings shows 100% VRAM and 100% GPU usage. It never goes down from there regardless of graphical settings. So everything else that tries to use the GPU like Firefox fails miserably at it, resulting in extremely slow screen updates. Also OBS has red and blue inverted when that happens, and is unable to use the hardware decoder. The game itself runs kinda alright, but alt-tabbing sometimes results in a freeze and/or crash, not as often as it used to though. All that es me off quite substantially but I was unable to find anything helpful on the matter, so maybe anyone here has some tips?..
Running Arch with 418.74 nvidia drivers, Proton 4.2 or Proton-tkg 4.5.r13.g4ea094ed, depends on which one results in less freezing during a particular day

...also holy crud, have never seen that spooky face before and I think I don't want to...

Yeah, Alt-Tab is an issue here too. Nvidia driver if that's important.

I've also noticed that something seems to occasionally go wrong with the nvidia driver, as when starting the game again it might have some repeatable problem which can only be solved by rebooting the computer. For instance the same graphics corruption on each restart until I reboot.

Also even if the game doesn't crash directly while alt-tabbing everything else runs exceptionally slow, be it the plasma desktop, browsers or other apps.

Was running KDE Plasma for a while, with compositing, and still didn't have issues, but, KDE Plasma is quite hefty and I don't need all the extra cruft which comes with it.

OT:
I did spend a month or two in 2013 seriously engineering KDE (4.something) down to the bare minimum - if memory serves, the absolute skinny for a user session was 160MB, 210MB with compositing, and then anything KDE you add on top costs less due to the high degree of sharing, than taking say LXDE or XFCE and bunging a Thunderbird on top.

You can still read about it here: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1MDA

The reason for the cruft is the 'everything and the kitchen sink' approach usually taken to packaging KDE. Maybe I should have another crack at it. Last time round my then manager decided there was no mileage in lightweight desktops as a shell for a primarily browser based workflow and assigned me to do community management instead...

In my case it appears that the GPU is simply very busy rendering ED, so when I switch to the desktop everything else crawls. IIRC xorg is 100% busy on one CPU, which would probably explain everything else taking more time to draw.

I suppose, it's really getting quite old.

Someday I'll upgrade, motherboard, cpu, powersupply and the gpu :)

Still I think in this case it's probably a software issue, but it's just a guess :)

I fixed the alt tabing issue if I'm not mistaken. I set my upper bar in mate to auto hide and went windowed... 8\ (have to play around to find problems with it.)

Don't know how I didn't think of that before. Oh, well. Back to ultra settings!!

I fixed the alt tabing issue if I'm not mistaken. I set my upper bar in mate to auto hide and went windowed... 8\ (have to play around to find problems with it.)

Don't know how I didn't think of that before. Oh, well. Back to ultra settings!!
nice. Except i think the Alt-Tab problem is deeper than just your upper bar. It's happening across a lot of different environments and scenarios. Good on ya if you fixed it for you though. the bars i have in XFCE both autohide, but i still have the problem. no compositing either. so idk.

Apparently another and possibly better solution is borderless with swapping work spaces. I have mate and can use CTRL-ALT left or right arrow. Borderless gets rid of the problem with fullscreen minimizing itself when you swap workspaces. This is why it was not useable for me before. As long as the game window does not minimize there is no issue! 8)

I completely forgot about borderless mode. It doesn't alt tab out under any circumstances. Which in this case is very useful. Now I can just setup multiple virtual desktops.

Edit: NVM, scratch that. It still crashed as if it was minimized. Back to windowed I go!

windowed+borderless doesn't work huh.

frankly when I start the game, i can't really imagine ever alt-tab'ing out. who would ever close elite?!? balderdash! :ROFLMAO:

I've never had very good results Alt-Tabbing basically anything running full-screen in Wine. I always figured that was just something that came with the territory.

What drivers you using? From my testing there's only one graphics corruption glitch I've seen, and this happens when DXVK is used on Windows too so it's either a DXVK issue or a problem with Nvidia's Vulkan implementation:

YjMQhlT.png
I just ran into this also. It happens whenever a collector limpet flies in front of you during mining. It's caused for my by Bloom at Ultra settings. It seems to go away at High, but the engine rear is still flashing colors. Even though it's not a giant sqaure/rectangle at that point.

This ‘Failed to find GUID for device:’ error is back with a vengeance.
This time no cunning trick (like emptying the folder with the ControlSchemes and the Bindings folder) seems to work.
Fortunately, it only is an item on Kubuntu 19.04. When playing Elite using OpenSuSE Leap 15.0 (the hardware is the same as it is on the same PC), I encounter no such problem. Not yet.

The game sees my Sidewinder Precision Pro because, when defining one of joystick controls in the Controls section, this being the yaw axis, I can choose what axis to use for it. But when I click ‘apply’ for the first time and the file Custom.3.0.binds is generated, only an empty string seems to be written to it for parameter ‘Binding Device’.
The corresponding line in the file reads:

<Binding Device="" DeviceIndex="0" Key="Joy_RZAxis" />

where it should have been:

<Binding Device="045E0038" DeviceIndex="0" Key="Joy_RZAxis" />

Next time I go to the Controls section, the specified binding has gone as if I never clicked ‘apply’. Also the error file BindingLoadingErrors.log is generated:

‘Failed to find GUID for device:’

I do not see many posts about this topic in other parts of the forum. Might it be a linux problem?

This ‘Failed to find GUID for device:’ error is back with a vengeance.
This time no cunning trick (like emptying the folder with the ControlSchemes and the Bindings folder) seems to work.
Fortunately, it only is an item on Kubuntu 19.04. When playing Elite using OpenSuSE Leap 15.0 (the hardware is the same as it is on the same PC), I encounter no such problem. Not yet.

The game sees my Sidewinder Precision Pro because, when defining one of joystick controls in the Controls section, this being the yaw axis, I can choose what axis to use for it. But when I click ‘apply’ for the first time and the file Custom.3.0.binds is generated, only an empty string seems to be written to it for parameter ‘Binding Device’.
The corresponding line in the file reads:

<Binding Device="" DeviceIndex="0" Key="Joy_RZAxis" />

where it should have been:

<Binding Device="045E0038" DeviceIndex="0" Key="Joy_RZAxis" />

Next time I go to the Controls section, the specified binding has gone as if I never clicked ‘apply’. Also the error file BindingLoadingErrors.log is generated:

‘Failed to find GUID for device:’

I do not see many posts about this topic in other parts of the forum. Might it be a linux problem?

What wine version are you using?

Top Bottom