how will space legs handle deaths

Interesting question about what happened when you 'die' on your legs - where is the respawn?

1) Last station (like happens when your ship dies). Explainable by lore with a bit of handwavium. Painful if you're doing ... basically anything. Star Citizen does this and it's not liked. Imagine you're clearing the newly arrived Thargoids out of one of their bases on foot and you die and have to travel back from a Starport - that would be unloved. Allows ship stealing, as the CMDR gets sent away from their ship.
2) Ship (medibay, whatever). You respawn closer to what you were doing, but still would be potentially a lot of backtracking. Still explicable via handwavium, just about. Makes stealing ships pretty hard - you sneak on board, kill the CMDR, who then respawns back on-board*.
3) Where you die / area where you die. Convenient - no backtracking. Not really explicable in the universe - unless everyone is just firing paintballs. Also makes ship stealing difficult.

I can see lots of forum venting whichever they choose. If the leg content is FPS-heavy them (3) makes sense, if it's more passive / exploration & trading type content then probably (2) 🤷‍♀️

And we haven't even got onto ammo resupply - synthesis makes sense for ship / srv - not so much for legs - anyone for Space Leg Lasers?

* Yeah, I've sure you could come up with complications for pirating - but there's enough 'special rules' in the game already, more would be ... unfortunate.

If first person shooting is a large part of the 2020 update that will be the end of the road for me. The last thing I want is to turn Elite into another stupid gore-fest of an FPS game. There are many others to choose from if that is what I wanted. I am actually extremely worried that this is going to be a large part of the focus of the 2020 update and that this will end my time with Elite Dangerous because I don't like ultra-violent games.
I heard that ED will be merged with DOOM.

;)

So if space legs is going to bring base building, first person shooting and theft of ships how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.

Based on how SLFs and SRVs currently work, my guess would be that space-legs will either involve androids/telepresence or "dying" will, in fact, just mean that your space-suit "puts you into stasis" and then you're recovered to your ship for medical treatment... somehow.

DeletedUser191218

D
So if space legs is going to bring base building, first person shooting and theft of ships how many credits is it going to cost me to re spawn in the game when someone shoots me in the head and steals my ship.

Let's just get to space legs and get to that stuff later. At this stage, some of us might actually be dead before it's introduced.

When I died in my SRV I woke up in a med bay, could not find a way out then everything went black and then it slowly came back to light and I was in my ship.

Anyhow, there should be counters to monitor stats on CMDR's deaths and walk distance. Then, we can all see interests on space legs.

It is hard to avoid spaceship combat, but I am totally fine with spaceship combat. NPC's that interdict my glorious Imperial Cutter hoping for easy pickings always regret their hasty decision ;-) I knew that that was part of the game when I bought it and its a fun part of the game. FPS crosses a line for me though and I just don't want to go there.

This entire logic just seems very biased with you wanting elite to remain as it is. You do realize that spaceship combat is essentially fps combat right. You are in a cockpit in the first person giving violence to other ships with guns, kicking axx and leaving them to die horribly in the void. How can one be ok with ship combat but dislike it when the character is holding a virtual gun, its the same game play, you shoot things.

Last edited:
How can one be ok with ship combat but dislike it when the character is holding a virtual gun, its the same game play, you shoot things.
Because different people have different likes and abilities. If i wanted to play a shooter, i would be playing one and if elite develops FPS elements you can bet that there will be other games that will do it better and the people that like shooters will probably be playing those games instead of elite, should elite develop FPS elements.

Because different people have different likes and abilities. If i wanted to play a shooter, i would be playing one and if elite develops FPS elements you can bet that there will be other games that will do it better and the people that like shooters will probably be playing those games instead of elite, should elite develop FPS elements.

Well I'm one of the people who can adapt and enjoy a game with any and all types of game play mechanics, I don't discriminate on features because they can be done better else where, especially unreleased features we have yet to see. Whining because a game will have something you may not like sounds a lot like self entitlement, Fdev isn't a charity, they are a business and they will do the best they can to thrive. To realize a space game with epic scope (which is their vision), it only makes sense to have a game where anything and everything can be done.

Last edited:
Whining because a game will have something you may not like sounds a lot like self entitlement, Fdev isn't a charity, they are a business and they will do the best they can to thrive.
I find it highly amusing that so many on this forum characterize opinions they dont want to hear as whining. The personal identification with the game and FD as a business entity is also a hoot. Good job :)

Edit: On second thought i completly agree with you. Everyone should like what you like and pley the game the way you play it.

Last edited:
First thing I'm buying for my base: revirb cascade turrets.

Without them bases would be pretty useless, anyone could turn up and nuke it. and I'd set them to fire at will.

Also packhound turrets if they exist.

I find it highly amusing that so many on this forum characterize opinions they dont want to hear as whining. The personal identification with the game and FD as a business entity is also a hoot. Good job :)

Edit: On second thought i completly agree with you. Everyone should like what you like and pley the game the way you play it.

I hope you realize that your contradicting yourself. The OP I quoted wants elite to remain the same way as it's always been so he can continue to play the game his way and only his way or else he quits. Fdev wants to appeal to more players, to give them more choice to play the game in different ways. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for being able to do what you want in a openworld space game but I don't see a reason to whine and complain about new content that will most likely be optional.

Edit: I find it amusing that you cherry pick my quotes to make an agument.

Your concerns are very confusing to me.
You know that violence is a second nature for us humans, intrinsic to our beings. You can blame evolution for that.

When you blow up pirate ships you are sending then to a brief fiery-then-extreme decompression death, you can even read their death cries on the chat.

And lets not even speak of some of the most darker Galnet articles or derelict generation ships stories.

While i agree that some people are more averse to violence for a myriad of reasons, weapons and combat is a must to set the tone of the darker Sci-Fi future Frontier wants to make.

What's all the confusion about?
I don't believe in evolution, so I'm bold in saying that compassion is second nature, for us humans. Violence comes in at a close third.

If we're all the savage monkeys you make us out to be, we 'd have killed ourselves off "billions and billions" of years ago. Thank God we aren't.

As for Frontier, they can just as easily set the tone of a brighter Sci-fF future for humanity. It's only a slight tip of the scales in the other direction.

Some might just prefer it that way. 🤫

X

Last edited:
You're in open. You land on a planet, drop the srv and you reach an outpost where you need to sneak inside. Inside there is another player that shoots and kills you.
Now we need to find answers to these questions:

What happen to your body now? Can the other player loot your body or will it will disappear?
Will you respawn in the SRV because it was the last vehicle?
Will you respawn to the ship?
If you respawn to the ship is the SRV still parked outside the outpost or is it autonomous and it can go back to the ship when you're killed?
If the SRV comes back does it magically respawn in the hangar bay or is it controlled by AI?

Few options here:
  1. Sci-Fi hard core: We're all clones, the ship has a medical room that when you're dead it generates another clone. So you respawn in the medical room of your ship, your SRV stays where it was but you can recall it (AI tech). You can go where you've been killed and see your previous body and take back you rinventory if no one came first.
  2. Sci-Fi High Tech: when your life parameters go below a certain value your remlok suit go into protection mode and create a shell. Your inventory is left outside of the shell. The shell is teleported in the ship medical room where you respawn. The SRV is recalled in the ship so it disappears from its current location and respawn in the ship
  3. James Cameron Sci-Fi: we don't walk with our bodies but with avatars (like the movie) that have our same appearance but are stronger to stand to more aggressive environments and they are controlled with telepresence. Our physical body remains in the SRV all the time. The SRV can generate a limited number of avatars. Once the SRV boards to the ship the avatars counter reset and you can generate more. Instead you can walk with your real body inside the ship and in the stations where nothing can kill you.
  4. Gamey/Arcade: Like in NMS a grave remains in the place to be looted and you respawn in the SRV.

5. Pilots Federation have the time stone, after the player / thargoid has finished tea bagging our head, someone with the stone points at our freshly brewed head and rewinds and we get another go at it!

Top Bottom