Lestat

Banned
Under the existing fast hyperspace travel, i only want a sort of autopilot mode that can put us thousands LY away while we are working on something else inside the ship, or allows us to turn off the game while it bring the ship to the requested destination. It's just an additional type of travel that can put us at 3000ly 20% to 40% slower than the normal hyperspace mode.
You want to be able to play another game while Elite Dangerous plays itself. You are not playing the GAME. So I have say NO. It also caters to Bots so Gold sellers can use the same feature to earn money. If you understand gold seller and Bots you would also say no.

Last edited:
You want to be able to play another game while Elite Dangerous plays itself. You are not playing the GAME. So I have say NO. It also caters to Bots so Gold sellers can use the same feature to earn money. If you understand gold seller and Bots you would also say no.

The suggestion is, as stated, in preparation for anticipated features, so that people will be playing another aspect of Elite Dangerous while the ship is in cruise, so people will indeed still be playing the game. The suggestion is forward thinking and imaginative, and so obviously will be met by the usual hardline conservatism on these forums.

As for bots, that’s the developers problem to solve when incorporating any such feature, and not a measure by which to reject an otherwise interesting idea.

To alternate travel modes, a big YES from me.

Wow long time...
Game time was shorter of course. But it was before we could plot up to 20.000 ly and with only 40 ly range it took nearly 800 boring jumps.
On the way back I found more interesting systems including one with two planets with 100% metal content (first visited and fully scanned by me).

As for Elite's technology tree, which includes mysterious alien technology already, my suggestion is basically just a modified use of the existing FSD. If any Sci-Fi writer finds that difficult to write into the lore of the game, they should be fired for lack of imagination.

I an a sci-fi writer. One of the keys of writing good sci-fi is a consistent sci-fi universe, jumping into Deus Ex machina as a mechanic makes the entire process pointless.

we need random worm holes to appear and disappear on a set time frequency. if these spawned in different systems and certain times, people could jump into them and pop out the other side.

travel time would still be a long time..... Fdev may go for this

not all ships could use them, or only ships with a certain module maybe..... the frequency of these needs to be in-frequent, we do not need them popping up all of the time.... e.g. every 5 mins

a special event at a special time, plus they need to go wrong sometimes, and drop people no where that they expected

Last edited:

At least we don't have to play the game so much that we have to FSD jump between planets.

If we do get hyper cruise, they will probably make the stars brighter as you get further away so you can still see them from great distances. I guess....

Last edited:

I don't want to be able to play another game while the ship travels, every little problem that a new gameplay can cause can be solved. I considere that this game is able to be the best video game ever. Frontier just can't stop on an inconveniant stuff while the other space game makers should monitor all the little flaws stated by the gamers and then try to do better.
Frontier told us that a new big part of the game is in developpement.
We are numerous to hope that space leg will be in their projects. I considere that space leg is 50% of Elite: Dangerous. Despite the many updates, there's now 2 years i didn't play this game because for me this game is simply beautiful but desperatly empty. Elite Dangerous is sorely lacking in illustrations (thanks to google translate :)). Space legs is a base to implement all kinds of missions and quests that will have a real meaning and make this game epic.

Can you imagine if elite is gorgeous, epic, and learns you cosmology. We all would be stuck on the pc.

Last edited:

Lestat

Banned
we need random worm holes to appear and disappear on a set time frequency. if these spawned in different systems and certain times, people could jump into them and pop out the other side.

not all ships could use them, or only ships with a certain module maybe..... the frequency of these needs to be in-frequent, we do not need them popping up all of the time.... e.g. every 5 mins

a special event at a special time, plus they need to go wrong sometimes, and drop people no where that they expected
Anything that Deal with wormholes Frontier will not go for.
The suggestion is, as stated, in preparation for anticipated features, so that people will be playing another aspect of Elite Dangerous while the ship is in cruise, so people will indeed still be playing the game. The suggestion is forward thinking and imaginative, and so obviously will be met by the usual hardline conservatism on these forums.
Yet you never take the time and look at an idea and see potential problems. You are in the group I want I want. Without thinking a problem though.

As for bots, that’s the developers problem to solve when incorporating any such feature, and not a measure by which to reject an otherwise interesting idea.
So your saying people should keep their mouth shut so the Developers can make an idea without understanding about Bots. What a stupid way of thinking about bots. I rather have Frontier See the issue. though people who work to disarm bot or Ran bots So they can make Informed decision and make a better game.

No, we dont, also wormholes dont exist.
Natural wormholes are a myth of space time.
Fluid space is 4 Dimensional, a wormhole would have to be at the very least 5th Dimensional because fluid space only displaces like water by mass, it doesnt magically make wormholes between two points out of the blue.
In poking an actual hole in the universe you are talking about using yet another dimensional measurement that we are only beginning to understand.

And dont pull the "blackholes are wormholes" card
Because they aren't, not even close.

Blackholes are not even holes at all and are more accurately hyper dense quantum stars because they can have jet cones just like neutron stars.

Fluid space is 4 Dimensional, a wormhole would have to be at the very least 5th Dimensional because fluid space only displaces like water by mass, it doesnt magically make wormholes between two points out of the blue.
In poking an actual hole in the universe you are talking about using yet another dimensional measurement that we are only beginning to understand.

Blackholes are not even holes at all and are more accurately hyper dense quantum stars because they can have jet cones just like neutron stars.

What if newly invented hyper cruise engines only fit on very expensive (large npc crew), very large ships. FSD drives can't move ships this big. With expert skill, a hyper cruise engine can move a big ship from one star to another slightly slower than an FSD drive can move a smaller ship. The "capital ship" will arrive at the star about 3 seconds before the small ship's jumps to another star (this is after FSD cool down and the FSD is 3 seconds from full charge) . With expert skill by both pilots and starting from racing positions).

However "capital" ships turn very slow at low speeds. They can turn faster at much higher speeds but have a large turning circle. A smaller ship can reverse direction and escape mass lock before the capital ship can turn around and intercept. A capital ship can intercept if a small ship attempts a straight line escape, because it can travel at much greater speed, so the intercept course is an arc.

Capital ships can accomadate much large sensor arrays making it possible for them to scan traffic from distances far from the sun and be closing on a small ship long before the small ship was aware of it.

Last edited:
Yet you never take the time and look at an idea and see potential problems. You are in the group I want I want. Without thinking a problem though.

This is demonstrably untrue, as even when I make suggestions I try to anticipate potential issues, and propose solutions and mitigations. Moreover, when I'm alerted to valid issues with the suggestion itself, I tend to make adjustments to the proposal where possible.
Moreover, I don't believe we see eye to eye on what actually constitutes a problem, as seemingly for you, any significant change to the game is considered a problem. You even appear to be almost unfailingly opposed to anything which adds additional options, with your ever ready variant on the "that's not how Elite works" response.

So your saying people should keep their mouth shut so the Developers can make an idea without understanding about Bots. What a stupid way of thinking about bots. I rather have Frontier See the issue. though people who work to disarm bot or Ran bots So they can make Informed decision and make a better game.

Lol, no, that's clearly not what I'm saying, unless you're interested in forcing words into my mouth. The developers are quite aware of the existence of bots, and how certain processes in the game are susceptible to manipulation by bot scripts. They don't need us to inform them about bots, or what aspects of proposed features may potentially be manipulated. They may not address all such vulnerabilities in the game, or it may not be possible to prevent it entirely, but that doesn't mean they're not aware of how their features can be used by bots.

The crux of my issue with your method of evaluation, is that you tend to look at these proposals from the point of view of the developer, rather than the point of view of the player who wants more interesting and fun features. It's not our job or responsibility to deal with development or feasibility issues in making these suggestions. If Frontier developers see a suggestion, they will decide on its desirability, feasibility, and priority, so your persistent insertions of "Frontier won't do it", "other features should have more priority", "that's not what the game is about", and "add technical obstacle here", add little to no value, and serve as a poor and unwanted substitute for productive criticism of the specifics of the suggestion itself. If anything, it helps to breed a sort of toxic negativity about what can be proposed for the game, which ultimately acts as a discouragement for people with ideas. Perhaps that's your aim?

Last edited:

Also, Thargoids don't exist.

I know there is a heavy simulation component to this game, much of it related to principles of physics, but at its core it's science fiction.

The objection to a proposal on the basis that it doesn't exist in reality as we currently know it, simply doesn't hold water.
Unless that objection translates to a tangible problem in gameplay, or balance, or anything that can get in the way of the majority of players enjoying the game, it adds little to the discussion.

Also, Thargoids don't exist.

I know there is a heavy simulation component to this game, much of it related to principles of physics, but at its core it's science fiction.

The objection to a proposal on the basis that it doesn't exist in reality as we currently know it, simply doesn't hold water.
Unless that objection translates to a tangible problem in gameplay, or balance, or anything that can get in the way of the majority of players enjoying the game, it adds little to the discussion.

the game and it's developers strive to be as scientifically realistic as possible.
Even down to the quantum physics level.

Event the physics of the FSD are explainable with examples of known data from quantum physics and mathematics in real life.

Thargoids are no exception.

They have been designed from the ground up with scientific facts known to man to be a plausible entity of scientific fiction.
their biology, communication, social structure. all aspects of the thargoids have been taken from data and examples in science known to us today.

Thargoids are a scientific plausibility.

Naturally occuring wormholes are not.

If a wormhole were to exist in our universe it would have to be artificial.

Last edited:
Anyway, each problem has always a solution.

I suggested this hypercruise in view of space legs. I don't see when space leg will be released, players making dotted journeys that stick them for hours on the pc without doing nothing but stay focused to not fall asleep when fuel scooping, lest their ship explodes. It happened to me twice when i returned from months of journeys collecting solar systems datas.

the game and it's developers strive to be as scientifically realistic as possible.
Even down to the quantum physics level.

Event the physics of the FSD are explainable with examples of known data from quantum physics and mathematics in real life.

Thargoids are no exception.

They have been designed from the ground up with scientific facts known to man to be a plausible entity of scientific fiction.
their biology, communication, social structure. all aspects of the thargoids have been taken from data and examples in science known to us today.

Thargoids are a scientific plausibility.

Naturally occuring wormholes are not.

If a wormhole were to exist in our universe it would have to be artificial.

Even Frontier apply restrictions to realism in favour of gameplay.

I can boost in the middle of nowhere in normal space, far from any planetary body or forces, and still have my ship slow down to its regular top speed as if some magical space force were in tune with my engine.

Further, the future is a place where theoretical physics and science in general has the potential to become replicable in experimentation. So a wormhole/Einstein–Rosen bridge, which is said to be consistent with the general theory of relativity, could in the future be a proved theory in practice.

All of that aside though, if the choice is between drawing from science fiction to provide a more enoyable gameplay experience, or sticking to realism for the sake of it, the former is the better choice.

I an a sci-fi writer. One of the keys of writing good sci-fi is a consistent sci-fi universe, jumping into Deus Ex machina as a mechanic makes the entire process pointless.

One of the keys of being a good Sci-Fi writer is the ability to create consistency through imaginative writing. If you can't take an existing FSD and codify an alternate and similar application of it, well I don't think that I'd be interested in reading your work.

Who knows, Frontier might have us acquire Thargoid technology that allows us to properly traverse Hyperspace/Witchspace and get to certain destinations a lot faster then we do currently. But right now there's not much reason to do so - we're currently involved with our direct galactic neighbors; the ruins of the Guardians and the Thargoids - both can be reached in up to 15m of travel.

What the OP desires can be fulfilled by having one of our NPC crew members fulfill pilot roles on our ships -- like for example, a navigator that'll execute the jump-scoop-jump-etc routine for our plotted route.
No need to over complicate such a thing.

Sorry. Two of my posts have been suspended
Lestat said:
I don't want to be able to play another game while the ship travels, every little problem that a new gameplay can cause can be solved. (However in flight simulator X you can take off, go at work and return home to land your aircraft).
I considere that this game is able to be the best video game ever. Frontier just can't stop on an inconveniant stuff while the other space game makers should monitor all the little flaws stated by the players and then try to do better.
Frontier told us that a new big part of the game is in developpement.
We are numerous to hope that space leg will be in their projects. I considere that space leg is 50% of Elite: Dangerous. Despite the many updates, there's now 2 years i didn't play this game because for me this game is simply beautiful but desperatly empty. Elite Dangerous is sorely lacking in illustrations (thanks to google translate [noob] ). Space legs is a base to implement all kinds of missions and quests that will have a real meaning and make this game epic. Can you imagine if elite is gorgeous, epic, and learns you cosmology. We all would be stuck on the pc. So if Frontier promised us space legs, the game must stay consistent. You travel in the galaxy, your ship is your home, your base and the only thing able to maintain you in life. And far away from home with space leg your ship is the place where you should be able to do everything possible to accomplish your mission.

Anyway, each problem has always a solution.

I suggested this hypercruise in view of space legs. I don't see when space leg will be released, players making dotted journeys that stick them for hours on the pc without doing nothing but stay focused to not fall asleep when fuel scooping, lest their ship explodes. It happened to me twice when i returned from months of journeys collecting solar systems datas, and it's highly frustrating.
I relativized by saying to me that it was an accident but nevertheless i still think that if you fall asleep in a game, there's a problem......

One of the keys of being a good Sci-Fi writer is the ability to create consistency through imaginative writing. If you can't take an existing FSD and codify an alternate and similar application of it, well I don't think that I'd be interested in reading your work.

So, you're a writer then? Of any sort?

I think having very large ships that can hyper cruise might be cool. I have not read up on the developer's vision of the game so I am just letting my imagination run.

Possible features could be
Has landing pads for small ships.
Has outfitting with finite supplies. Limited variety. Fuel. Fuel scoops. Ammo. Etc.
Repair facilities
Able to give access and permission levels to other players
Has a bank to hold credits so that many people can contribute for repair and resupply
Can walk around bridge and/or ship
Bridge has multiple stations. Sensors, helm, captain chair, etc.
Stations have advanced controls.
Captain chair can have access list.
Can assign temporary access to guest ships. Access can expire.
Has voice comms server that can have multiple rooms.
Has large sensor range and an especially long range narrow cone sensor range.
Can do detailed surface scans from range.
Cannot land on planet surfaces.
Has large and expensive AI crew.
Captain chair can zoom in on all bridge stations (look over shoulder)
Can invite multi crew players for additional temporary players.

Would be great for deep space exploration missions. Especially for squadrons and groups of friends. Lots of social opportunities. Mothership can act as a remote base.

Might be good for policing. Especially if multiple ships coordinate engagement and pursuit.

Top Bottom