The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

It would be better if you had some photos with one or several moons on the foreground and from the surface of one of them.
I am now 8500ly away in Colonia, and do not intend to go back there anytime soon... In fact, after some time here, my way will lead me to SagA* - the completely opposite direction...
I don't think the moons are particularly close or in a tilted orbit to provide particularly good shots. I added an orrey shot though - we don't get that one often :D
1 A is currently (3.9d orbit) not in a position to give a good shot over rings and 1 to the giant. 1 G might be at a better angle, but already pretty far out...
But if somebody else happened to be in the area and share some shots, well, I certainly wouldn't mind ;)

Last edited:
I am now 8500ly away in Colonia, and do not intend to go back there anytime soon... In fact, after some time here, my way will lead me to SagA* - the completely opposite direction...
I don't think the moons are particularly close or in a tilted orbit to provide particularly good shots. I added an orrey shot though - we don't get that one often :D
1 A is currently (3.9d orbit) not in a position to give a good shot over rings and 1 to the giant. 1 G might be at a better angle, but already pretty far out...
But if somebody else happened to be in the area and share some shots, well, I certainly wouldn't mind ;)

Well, yeah it's not an obligation of course, but such shots just attract more people to the POI and its easier for them to assume what they are going to witness there.

How about a preponderance of ringed Y-class stars and their moons?

Name: The Twisted Twins
Type: Stellar Feature
System: Ellaisms AA-A H812 (A/B/C)

DESC: Discovered (and submitted on behalf of CMDR Ashh79), an O-class and a Wolf-Rayet star orbiting a massive central Wolf-Rayet star.

Name:Kvervandi star cluster
Game map search ref:UMBAIST GG-Y F1226
Type:Star Cluster
Description:A large cluster of HERBIG AE/BE stars approximately 167ly x 170ly x 110ly within a neutron star field. Most of the cluster is almost completely absent of any neutron stars, containing only a number of black holes. Allot of black holes can also be found around the cluster itself.
I ran out of bookmarks so this is just a part of it.
Source: https://imgur.com/WkQwdJd

the marked non sequence stars are black holes, the empty marks are Hebrig stars
Source: https://imgur.com/TN3knI4

Last edited:
No more geysers in Aiphaisty AB-O d6-204.

P.S. Taking in account several geysers sites that I have visited in most cases those which were discovered before 3.3 are erased and moved about 30-40 km away from the original point. So, in most cases previously accepted entries are outdated but this is not really a problem cause geys are now easy to find and nobody really cares, but for some truly uncommon locations like Pink Elephants or Mountain of Steam the POI can be updated to "historical"

Attachments

• 20190604170507_1.jpg
    20190604170507_1.jpg
    429.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 20190604171751_1.jpg
    20190604171751_1.jpg
    363.2 KB · Views: 326
Commander Merydian reporting a POI that knocked my ship out of supercruise and damaged it.
Name: Spider's Web
Type: Planet

Description: This system was encountered after the Distant Worlds 2 expedition during a scenic return trip from Beagle Point en route to Colonia. A scan of the fifth gas giant hinted it might be a dark red, a color not often seen, but upon closer approach it turns out to be one of the darkest gas giants encountered, almost black even on the sunlit side.

The planet's true hazard is its ring system. Against the blackness of space, it is practically invisible. Even when viewed against the backdrop of the galaxy, the ring system is almost transparent. Like a fly not seeing the spider's web, the unwary traveler hoping to examine the planet in more detail can easily crash into the rings, getting knocked out of supercruise and taking damage.

Scanning the planet enhances the ring's visibility, but for those unlucky enough to be caught, an AFMU will be very helpful.

Picture without scanning enhancements. The planet's darkness is not just from backlighting. The rings are even more difficult to see from the opposite side facing the intergalactic void.
yOGvDOw.png

Picture with scan enhancements showing the danger zone.
TudxdRa.png

Name:Misty Crater of Acheron
Game map search ref:Syneaye FB-X d1-0
Type:Planetary Feature (Planet #10)
Description:One of two huge craters under the silver arch of the ring that surrounds the planet. The distant mountains of the opposite crater rim blur into a brown veil that fills the crater.
The dimensions of this crater are only really visible when you approach over the plane of the ring and the crater seems to extend endlessly to the horizon.
Finding a suitable landing site is difficult because the terrain on the crater wall is very rugged.

Gravity Warning: 1.76 G
The first landing of CMDR derLichtkrieger1 with his ship 'Deepdiggin' Diana' took place in the course of The Voyage Home - Expedition on 04.06.3305.

The system is a green system.
PS_Messages_20190605_110400.jpgPS_Messages_20190605_110410.jpgPS_Messages_20190605_110418.jpg

Last edited:
I've found all of the following systems recently. Would these be worth posting here?

Binary hypergiants (B is 400SR+, O is 100SR+) with binary O types.
Binary hypergiants, both B, one is 360SR+, the other 440SR+
Binary hypergiants, the O is 160SR+, the B is almost 450SR.
A triple of a yellow Wolf-Rayet with a binary B, with a 340SR+ B hypergiant.
An A type hypergiant of 499.9701 SR.
A quad of 2 Wolf-Rayets and 2 B types.

Edit: Also, an A type supergiant with a ringed M class star in orbit. The rings are approx 160ls in radius (not far short of Mercury's orbit)

If these are potentials, I'll name them, write them, (I've already saved the co-ordinates) and get better screenshots.
Should it make any difference I'm playing on an XB1X.

Last edited:
I've found all of the following systems recently. Would these be worth posting here?

I about fell over when I saw your avatar. Freaking awesome. I've been considering an FS2/Freelancer/ED tattoo...

This is Admiral Petrarch - commanding officer of the GTD Aquitane - for those squadrons joining us here in Vega: welcome aboard!

Those were the days...

1) Dunno really, you can try sumbitting all in one post and we will see

2) Well, you can try to combine all 3 in one tattoo :)

Last edited:
[...]

Unfortunately, super massive stars are rarely of any interest, and these are quite par for the course.

They have in most cases blown away any planets around them, and can be very easily located in any sector with knowledge of how the game sorts system names by mass.

Elite actually managed to be too conservative with star masses and sizes, amazingly enough!
As far as i remember, there's nothing procedurally generated that has even approached the size of real, huge stars like UY Scuti or even VY Canis Majoris, for example.

Last edited:
I agree about the procedurally generated stuff. I think the stars top out at 500 SR and that's not the limit really.
So, out of curiosity, what is it people are looking for?

Aside; yeah FreeSpace 2 was awesome! That logo is definitely going into my 2nd gaming sleeve. ^_^

Top Bottom