Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Patents are just an example of stuff that developers need to be aware of sadly.
Fortunately, this is not true:

"Article 52 of the European Patent Convention
The European Patent Convention (EPC), Article 52, paragraph 2, excludes from patentability, in particular
  1. discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
  2. aesthetic creations;
  3. schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing games or doing business, and programs for computers;
  4. presentations of information."
When I worked at Codemasters circa 2000 awareness of industry products was essential, there were regular training seminars and they had an early "intranet" knowledge base with loads of interesting stuff about what you could and coudn't do in a racing game for example. Atari had patents for ghost car mechanics from the Hard Drivin' days, so loads of neat cool obvious stuff simply can't be done. Having anything that looked like a direct competitors product is a no no as it would weaken IP and risk litegation. It's the basic stuff that games companies do.
There are many companies were it is forbidden for developers (of whatever, not just software) to read patents, to avoid being liable for willful infringement. In those companies, only the lawyers/attorneys are permitted to check the patents of competitors.

Last edited:
Fortunately, this is not true:

"Article 52 of the European Patent Convention
The European Patent Convention (EPC), Article 52, paragraph 2, excludes from patentability, in particular
  1. discoveries, scientific theories and mathematical methods;
  2. aesthetic creations;
  3. schemes, rules and methods for performing mental acts, playing games or doing business, and programs for computers;
  4. presentations of information."

There are many companies were it is forbidden for developers (of whatever, not just software) to read patents, to avoid being liable for willful infringement. In those companies, only the lawyers/attorneys are permitted to check the patents of competitors.
Problem is that games are global business, and US does have software patents.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Although he's taking it with humour, I bet deep down he wants to erase these punks :D
I wouldnt guess as far as "erase these punks" :ROFLMAO: but there has been no doubt a significant number of actuall well respected franchises for which Chris Roberts has made sure to do his damnedest best to alienate with his constant "references" and "comparisons" (Rockstar, Activision, EA etc etc), FDEV's Elite is by no means the only one.

Last edited:
I wouldnt guess as far as "erase thes punks" :ROFLMAO: but there has been no doubt a significant number of actuall well respected franchises for which Chris Roberts has made sure to do his damnedest best to alienate with his constant "references" and "comparisons" (Rockstar, Activision, EA etc etc), FDEV's Elite is by no means the only one.

I expect more coded ribbing as EDO gets closer to reality too from both sides. The ones FD have buried in financial reports and the dev videos are quite funny.

Although he's taking it with humour, I bet deep down he wants to erase these punks :D

I'm not so sure. There are so many times on Discord I've read that someone's interest in space sims was piqued by Star Citizen, and they've bought Elite while they were waiting. As long as Chris Roberts doesn't actually release his game he's doing David Braben a favour

Even if Chris does eventually release his game David Braben could still profit from the comparison. Folks have gotten used to the way Elite flies. When they jump into Chris Roberts' ships they will feel different... weird

This could lead to a lot of folks giving the game a bad rep

I'm not so sure. There are so many times on Discord I've read that someone's interest in space sims was piqued by Star Citizen, and they've bought Elite while they were waiting. As long as Chris Roberts doesn't actually release his game he's doing David Braben a favour

Even if Chris does eventually release his game David Braben could still profit from the comparison. Folks have gotten used to the way Elite flies. When they jump into Chris Roberts' ships they will feel different... weird

This could lead to a lot of folks giving the game a bad rep

Very true, although I still want to see DB hulk out sometime and mash CiG over it during one of his interviews. One minute he's talking about proc gen and the industry, the next its HULK SMASH :D

Top Bottom