After watching the AI and some videos from human players, I'm going to go ahead and name the docking computer Marvin given it's suicidal behaviour :D

I had some occasions where it dodged other ships and then others where it just decided it had the right of way and smacked into them.

I decided to turn it off for good when it spent 5 minutes outside a station twitching.

It's good when it works and you need another beer/cuppa/wee but it started to worry me after a while.

Docking Computer: well done!

I wasn't that sure if a docking computer would really be necessary. Getting inside a station is not that hard, compared to the original, but I was curious. So I bought one for my Hauler.

And it was the best additional equipment by far! I only say ... THE music! LOL :D

Just get one yourself and listen. Pure fun. Really.

Docking Computer Idea

Docking Computer = death of a ship
If I remember the docking computer in the original Elite has the same problems.. seems like programmers never learn ( j/k mostly :)

I hope they fix it, I would like to be able to engage automated docking sometimes so I can chat and look up things, take a break etc.. but not if it crashes your hard earned money into the side of the station.

Here is an IDEA:
Maybe give a 100% insurance guarantee on docking computer deaths This would be a great idea and promote the use of docking computer.

Make Docking Computer approach get preferential treatment when the station is full, I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Since I can doc pretty fast now on my own.

Actually the enhanced insurance thing is a good idea.
Possibly to even include cargo with more advanced docking computers, for a very hefty premium of course.

[Suggestion] - Docking Computer

With all the issues over the docking computer taking ages, flying erratic, taking too long etc, then why not just make it into a Cut Scene type of landing.

As you approach the station, you line up and engage the DC. At this point, the camera pans to an outside view, the music kicks in and you get a cinematic approach to your ship entering and then landing. All as a Cut-scene. The whole thing could last say 20 - 30 Seconds.

You have no control over the ship. You just get to watch it dock and land.

It's not a bad idea, and solves some complex issues in an immersive way. Trying the DC again with hauler it seems to work better than on my old sidewinder. I'm wondering if that's also due to it being monday uk daytime, and less server lag that the weekend when I first tried it? (Playing open online obviously).

I still don't trust it with over 20k in cargo yet though :D

No offence, but it sounds awful. Cut scenes are the last thing I ever want to see in ED. Sorry.

Me too. And what is happening to your ship while you're watching the cut scene? It still has to get to the parking slot.

In single player, offline modes I'd like the docking computer to work the way it did in the original Elite, as a time-saving instant docking mechanism. I don't see how that would be practical (or desireable) in a multiplayer environment - I think they should leave it as it is, or try and speed it up a bit.

Though to be honest, unless you're flying something huge like a Type 9 or an Anaconda, a half decent pilot doesn't need a docking computer - they can get the job done more quickly and more safely themselves. Now that you have to actually fly to your landing pad, docking's a lot more fun than it ever was in Elite or Frontier anyway.

It was just a suggestion made to appease all those who are moaning about the DC.

In some of the Promotional Vids you see a Ship from outside make the perfect entrance and landing. I knows its a Video. It could be something like that.

In the background , your ship will still fly in and land

Seriously? I've been leaving the docking to computer all weekend and it never failed once. Sure it flits about if you don't get good orientation to begin with outside the spaceport but its never thrown me into a wall inside the station. It even diverted around an NPC arsing about inside the letterbox.

Seriously? I've been leaving the docking to computer all weekend and it never failed once. Sure it flits about if you don't get good orientation to begin with outside the spaceport but its never thrown me into a wall inside the station. It even diverted around an NPC arsing about inside the letterbox.

I did have a scary moment on one occassion where the docking computer grazed the edge of the "letter Box" and shield took a bit of damage in my hauler. Apart from that though its worked pretty flawlessly.

Absolutely love being able to look around the station in an oculus rift, while listening to the docking music ;) it's slower but who cares ;) what's the rush

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Merged multiple threads into the main discussion thread. :)

turn off docking computer

Is there a way to turn off docking computer after it has started. In case you need to take over?

If not there should be

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
It's designed like this:

Hello DDF,

This is going to be a short update to the previous docking proposal because the majority were perfectly happy with the manual docking procedure and I see no reason to change this. I know some had worries about queuing taking too long but I don’t think this will be such an issue. The docking ports are quite large and the throughput should be sufficient to prevent extended waiting.

So instead of reposting all the same content again I’d like to go into more detail about how we’d like automated docking to work based on your feedback and ideas.

Automated Docking
  • To be able to use automated docking the player’s ship must have a docking computer module installed and powered
    • These are expensive and take up space
    • Malfunctions can disable the module preventing its use
  • Only certain stations can offer automated docking services
    • The docking computer is actually a way for the station to take control of your ship and land it for you
    • More popular stations are likely to offer automated docking
  • If a station offers automated docking it will be an option that can be selected when first hailing the station
    • Automated docking is an all or nothing procedure; players need to request it before entering the station and it can’t be disabled until safely docked
    • Players can’t activate automatic docking if they’re already within the station
    • It doesn’t cost anything extra to use automated docking except time
      • It could take significantly longer to automatically dock than if a player were to do it manually (providing they’re sufficiently skilled)
This is a simple rule set but we feel it gives us a way to automatically dock but not remove the need or reason to manually dock from time to time.
Finally I just want to cover some other issues that were raised in the previous proposal.
  • Firing a weapon or breaking the speed limit will result in the normal consequences associated with breaking the law
    • It is not our intention to artificially limit your ability to deploy and shoot weapons or fly fast but there will always be consequences to these actions
  • Stations will have the ability to fire upon and destroy ships that are breaking the law such as blocking the docking port or landing pads from others
  • Rotational correction within the station will alleviate a lot of the difficulties in landing with a spinning station
    • The skill will then be focussed on lining up with the right pad and gently touching down rather than performing constant thruster changes to keep in position
  • Docking isn’t as hard as you might think
    • Just because the previous games docking sequences were notorious doesn’t mean this will be, therefore we shouldn't be worrying about automated docking being unavailable some times
Thanks for your time and input. I know we didn't have much of a presence in that topic but I have read all the posts and used the ideas and concerns in this update.

Cheers,
-Mike

Defining safely docked could be difficult!

Top Bottom