The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

In my opinion they should put it more obviously or in such words that the people who originally are first discoverer of the objects don't have the same quastions/remarks on the info presented.

"[FONT=&quot]That system was first discovered for EDSM by [/FONT]Cruento Mucrone[FONT=&quot] on [/FONT]Aug 27, 2018, 4:21:35 PM[FONT=&quot].[/FONT]"

I'm not sure how much clearer it can be that it's first discovered for EDSM. If this is a significant factor in you not playing ED any more then that's just a bit sad really. Don't look at EDSM if it offends you so much that it doesn't match in-game tags.

It could be made clearer by saying it's "first scanned for EDSM", which is exactly what's listed on the bodies' entries. Why have two different ones anyway? "First scanned for EDSM" is slightly more accurate, and can't be confused with the in-game "First discovered by".

For example, emphases mine: Rohini system: "That system was first discovered for EDSM by Edward Straker on Jan 23, 2016, 12:23:25 AM."
Rohini AB 1 (body): "First scanned for EDSM by: Sajime Chent-Shi"

Since you don't really "scan" a system, it could be worded to say "first visited for EDSM" or something else. "Scanned" would be consistent, but all you need to do is pass through the system while running EDDiscovery to submit it. It would be clear while less accurate maybe? Either way, I can see why "discovered" might give the wrong impression, even though I too thought it was pretty clear as "discovered for EDSM".

Ahh.... terminology. Always a point of contention in any project. ;) :D

True, I guess somebody might pass through a system without firing off the ADS. Then it would be best to just have it listed as "First uploaded to EDSM by" everywhere. I don't think it gets clearer and more universal than that.

Just to clarify: while the Galactic Mapping Project is hosted on EDSM, the two projects (GMP and EDSM) are run by different teams. So this discussion about EDSM semantics is actually sort of off-topic for this thread.

This thread is the place to submit noteworthy discoveries that you would like to share with the exploration community.

Cheers

Fair enough. It's just that this topic came up here again, and not there. That should be no surprise though: for most people, the GMP is another part of EDSM, since they see it through EDDiscovery and the EDSM website. Then they ask someone about how they can have their stuff named, and then they get pointed to this thread. Which will be the first time they'll hear about the Galactic Mapping Project, even though they use it often. So EDSM-related stuff is bound to pop up here every now and then.

Last edited:
Just to clarify: while the Galactic Mapping Project is hosted on EDSM, the two projects (GMP and EDSM) are run by different teams. So this discussion about EDSM semantics is actually sort of off-topic for this thread.

This thread is the place to submit noteworthy discoveries that you would like to share with the exploration community.

Cheers

+1

Also, it's tiresome reading these complaints over insignificant semantics. The meaning of that phrase "discovered for EDSM by..." and the reasons for it working the way it does are very obvious. There are some people who will not understand right away no matter how clear the phrasing is, and the current phrasing is already pretty clear and correct.

Fair enough. It's just that this topic came up here again, and not there. That should be no surprise though: for most people, the GMP is another part of EDSM, since they see it through EDDiscovery and the EDSM website. Then they ask someone about how they can have their stuff named, and then they get pointed to this thread. Which will be the first time they'll hear about the Galactic Mapping Project, even though they use it often. So EDSM-related stuff is bound to pop up here every now and then.

Yep, and I totally understand that. Thats why I posted a clarification - and Ill be happy to post it again in the future for any newcomers who are not aware of the distinction between EDSM and the GMP. And perhaps you and the other ´oldtimers´ around can help with that as well if one of the GMP team is not around to clarify :)

Really, the GMP is meant to be a community project, a place where explorers collaborate and share their discoveries, with each POI submission adding another piece to the jigsaw puzzle that is our shared understanding of the ED galaxy and the history of the exploration community. It is that community spirit that is the fuel that keeps me going as a mapmaker - and Im sure most of the GMP team feels the same way. So, please, lets have a bit more of that spirit in this thread. And yes - you may call me an idealist :D

Peace out :)

Small update today...

Added:

#3019 Tiller's Trove
#3037 Dark Flower Nebula (added, but could do with a more fleshed out description).
#3053 Fenix
#3054 Phroea Phio Geysers
#3020 Guardians of the deep

Errors Fixed:

Post #3046
Heart & Soul Nebulae
Amaethon Nebula
Venetian Nebula
Xibalba
The Great Rift
Gloomgown Mausoleum
The Three Kings
"Süßes Fräulein" (Stellar Forge)
Titan's Rest
Awjila

Removed:

Ogairy BV-X e1-1913 (regional placeholder)

Updated to post #3054, next entries to be added begin on post #3055.

Last edited:
How do I request a system to be added into the database? I have a rather interesting system to add, binary stars, 4 TC's, 2 WWs, 2 ELP which orbit each other.
Thanks in advance

How do I request a system to be added into the database? I have a rather interesting system to add, binary stars, 4 TC's, 2 WWs, 2 ELP which orbit each other.
Thanks in advance

If its a system you just want adding to the DB that already isn't registered there (and not a point of interest), then best contact Anthor (EDSM) and he'll look into it.

If its a point of interest that you want adding to the EDSM public map, then you need to submit it here with the following details first (note not all entries are accepted)..

Important! Submitting Points of Interest:

Please use the following convention when submitting an entry (and in this order)..
Name:(Name of your entry after checking the naming stipulations mentioned on post#1)
Game map search ref:(Provide the exact procedural name of the POI you discovered - if its a nebula choose a system within the nebula to act as its reference location)
Description:(Write a short description of what you found)
Screenshot reference:(Provide the post # or link of where your screenshot or video of your POI can be found - it is a big help if you provide the image resized or cropped to a with of 640 pixels. If this is not possible for you just submit the image anyways and we will do it for you. But it does save us a lot of time if you have done it yourself)

Last edited:
I'm thinking Proserpine's Garden & Hurricane Nebula are the same Nebula. the coordinates are virtually the same.
They both seem to be part of Blaa Hypa AA-A H36

Thanks for the heads up...

The descriptive texts from Proserpine's Garden & Hurricane Nebula have been merged into one and the name Hurricane Nebula has been retained for this POI. I haven't been able to establish which entry was first, but will amend it if its needed (for now Proserpine's Garden POI had been deleted).

Also the same goes for the Flamingo Nebula & Shade of Anubis.
These are both in Hypoe Ploe AA-A H?

CMDR Tootiny

Flamingo Nebula entry has been deleted as Shade of Anubis was submitted first, and therefore takes precedence.

I've got two potential POIs.
Submission 1:
Name: The Valley of the Lonely Giants
Game Map Search Reference: Drojuae RI-K D8-3
Description: Discovered by Commander Pinda Gupta in 3304, this 1,500 by 2,500 light-year region of space boasts a high-concentration grouping of Red, Orange, and Blue Giants, located about 9,000 light years away from Sol on the Orion-Cygnus Arm. Approximately fifty of these stars have been cataloged thus far, but the total number of Giants likely exceeds 100 when inaccessible and undiscovered stars are added to the tally. What makes this region especially unique, however, is the exceptionally low concentration of stars around these Giants -- no surprise, of course, as the region is located approximately 1,000 light years under the galactic plane. The region is also marked by an abundance of Neutron Stars and White Dwarf stars, indicating high levels of star death, coupled with little star formation (Proto Stars are exceedingly rare in this region). For any intrepid explorer daring enough to venture to this desolate sector of titans, a high-jump-range frame shift drive is required. In the image below, all bookmarks are those of currently known Giants in the region. For more information on the initial expedition, visit this thread.
Screenshot Reference:

Submission 2:
Name: Existence in Desolation
Game Map Search Reference: Thailoe UO-A E4
Description: Discovered by Commander Pinda Gupta in 3304, this system harbors an extremely rare ringed Earth-like moon orbiting a ringed Y-class dwarf star. What's more, this planet exhibits many rarities, such as very high ice content (88.9%), high argon content in its atmosphere (43.4%), very low density (2.292 g/cm^3), and zero orbital eccentricity. Further, the system's primary star is an A2 VAB -- this planet represents the very first Earth-like found around this type of star. A2 stars in general are quite disagreeable to the formation of Earth-like planets (thanks to their short lifespans and high radiation), so very few have been found around them.
What's especially appealing about this world is the low concentration of stars in its vicinity, thanks to its location 800 light years below the galactic plane, on the Orion-Cygnus Arm. This produces unobstructed, scenic views of the galactic plane on one side, and the inky black on the other. Thus the name: this planet affords life in a region of scarcity and desolation.
For explorers looking to visit this world, it lies just under 9,000 light years away from Sol, making it quite accessible.
Screenshot Reference:

You requested submissions for photos from Caravanserai in the Gandharvi system:
U13jMxj.png

uxOGltH.png

4ES7Pnv.png

Here you go!

Thanks

o/ hi all so idk If this poi that been marked or not. I was racing cross the core to rescue a client when I found it. It’s a black hole with a sys nebula around it light purlple with blue. It was already discovered >.<. But if it’s not listed it’s a pretty place.

Lyaisoo is-t e3-3718

Last edited:
The GMP will include the following as a Historical POI:

Gnosis' Fate And Hydra's Coming

POI Type: Historical POI
System ref: Outotz ST-I d9-4

Description:
The system was used as a jump point by the Canonn Group's megaship Gnosis on a Survey expedition towards the Cone Sector. According to some databases of the Pilots Federation, no less than 11,000 pilots had enlisted for this endeavor. The expedition was scheduled to launch on Septemer 6th, 3304 AD but went awry when the massive ship was hyperdicted by equally massive amounts of Thargoid ships. In the end the Gnosis was thrown out witchspace a mere 12 light years away near the Outotz ST-I d9-6 system, where it was again heavily besieged by a new and very advanced Thargoid ship class dubbed the Hydra.

Visual hyperdiction transmission:

Hza8qyr.png

Top Bottom