The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Please note that from May 1st 2022 the Galactic Mapping Project will enter Maintenance Mode. Thus no new entries submitted after that date will be added to the community maps.

We feel as though this project has come to the end of its relevance in Elite Dangerous. The project is over 6 years old at the time of this post, and unless there's some radically new content and unique POIs added to Elite Dangerous by the developers, there remains little incentive to continue the project as it was originally intended. We feel the GMP (like the Distant Worlds expeditions which were retired last month), are products of their time and have had their day.

Of course, this may change depending on where Elite Dangerous goes during the Odyssey season and beyond, and whether the galaxy (which at this point is now old and well traveled) gets a overhaul and an injection of new phenomena, explorable environments, or even new entire regions (unlikely but we live in hope). If that ever happens, and if it reawakens the teams passion once more, then a decision to bring the project out of maintenance mode may be revisited.

In the mean time we will honour the promise made to the DSSA initiative two years ago, and that is to continue to add new DSSA deployments that submit their info to the thread, as well as upgrade DSSA POI submissions that qualify for Historical POI status as and when the 2-year anniversary of their deployments is reached. And as always we'll continue to fix links, grammar issues, and add screenshots to existing GMP POI entries if and when people bring them to the teams attention.

For those wishing to share their screenshots and discoveries (on the understanding that they will no longer be added to the community maps), you are of course still welcome to post them to this thread (which will remain open indefinitely as it hosts a lot of archived historical information, not just GMP stuff!), alternatively there is always the Explorers Photography thread, and The Great Big Odyssey Screenshots thread to post them to.

At the end of this year we hope to produce a .pdf booklet with a selection of the best POI entries, maps, and regional descriptions that have been submitted and collated by the GMP going back 6 years to the earliest days of Elite Dangerous. This would be a downloadble memento for those interested, with the possibility it'll become available in printed form too at some point.

Finally, I want to share a message posted to the GMP team recently when this decision was reached. From Corbin Moran, one of the original members of the GMP team and co-creator of the high-definition galaxy map that the GMP, EDSM, and pretty much all third party mapping apps use to this day;

"For me personally it has been an awesome experience to be part of a player driven project that has been enriching the play experience of so many others. I am really, really proud of what we have achieved regarding both the quality of the project, the maps, the writing, the interface, etc - but also the quantity of the staggering number of entries processed and numbers of players engaged with the GMP in various ways. The GMP together with EDSM became a galactic GPS - and for many players it served as a focal point for shared storytelling and community expeditions." - Corbin Moran, April 4th 2022.

We echo those sentiments wholeheartedly.

On behalf of the GMP team, past and present, we want to thank everyone who has supported and contributed to the project since it began back on February 2015. Its been a wonderful project to be a part of and see it grow into what it became.

-Erimus Kamzel (Founder), Corbin Moran (High-def map creator), Anthor (EDSM), Andrew Gaspurr (data entry), Heavy Johnson (data entry), Kazahnn Drahnn (data entry), Jon Burnage (data entry), Baxder (data entry), Orvidius (EDastro).

o7.

Important question:

Will you guys still do/recieve renewals?

I was working in a big excel sheet with the current list of poi entries and divide them depending on their status (need new picture/rewrite typo descriptions, picturless entries, etc) and I was going to publish it on a big thread for people to contribute. This was in order to protect, preserve and create a legacy for GMP entries and the history of exploration overall. Will you guys still recieve these entry renewals?

I'm also trying to speak to Anthor to develop a new catalog for new submissions of entries in place of this catalog since its going on maintenance mode (and was teased about it). I hope that the end of this project means it's not the end of entry submission on EDSM at all. If you guys could assist me on this, that could be great since I feel there is future in exploration despite GMP going into maintenance mode.

Thank you and great service overall. O7

Last edited:
Important question:

Will you guys still do/recieve renewals?

I was working in a big excel sheet with the current list of poi entries and divide them depending on their status (need new picture/rewrite descriptions, etc) and I was going to publish it on a big thread for people to contribute. This was in order to protect, preserve and create a legacy for GMP entries and the history of exploration overall. Will you guys still recieve these entry renewals?

I'm also trying to speak to Anthor to develop a new catalog for new submissions of entries in place of this catalog since its going on maintenance mode (and was teased about it). I hope that the end of this project means it's not the end of entry submission on EDSM at all. If you guys could assist me on this, that could be great since I feel there is future in exploration despite GMP going into maintenance mode.

Thank you and great service overall. O7

If the renewals add something that's important, we will update existing POI entries with that additional info, but we won't be rewriting 'history' or deleting info that explorers posted back when they originally submitted their POIs to the project. Updated info will be added if we feel its relevant, plus (depending on how much of there is) it won't be done any time soon.

As for Anthor, he's very hard to reach these days. I think his passion for the game is at an all time low like many of the people behind these historical initiatives. Don't expect him to do anything for EDSM / Elite Dangerous that requires a heavy investment of his time. He's done enough for the game and Frontier over the years already, and if he's now taking a break from it all, for ever how long he wants, he's more than deserved it.

I would add here that if you do finally make contact with him and he does decide to add a new category and give edit rights to new people, I would ask him to make sure all GMP entries cannot be amended by new staff he decides to give EDSM edit writes to. The GMP team spent 6 years being custodians of the historical archive of POIs that thousands of players submitted to it during that time. Thousands of man hours went into building up that archive, so its understandable that we want to protect that archive at all costs and have it preserved for as long as the EDSM platform is up and running (its also a reason why we're thinking of putting together a printed GMP memento booklet at some point, as EDSM along with all the info we collated for it could be gone one day).

If the renewals add something that's important, we will update existing POI entries with that additional info, but we won't be rewriting 'history' or deleting info that explorers posted back when they originally submitted their POIs to the project. Updated info will be added if we feel its relevant, plus (depending on how much of there is) it won't be done any time soon.

As for Anthor, he's very hard to reach these days. I think his passion for the game is at an all time low like many of the people behind these historical initiatives. Don't expect him to do anything for EDSM / Elite Dangerous that requires a heavy investment of his time. He's done enough for the game and Frontier over the years already, and if he's now taking a break from it all, for ever how long he wants, he's more than deserved it.

I would add here that if you do finally make contact with him and he does decide to add a new category and give edit rights to new people, I would ask him to make sure all GMP entries cannot be amended by new staff he decides to give EDSM edit writes to. The GMP team spent 6 years being custodians of the historical archive of POIs that thousands of players submitted to it during that time. Thousands of man hours went into building up that archive, so its understandable that we want to protect that archive at all costs and have it preserved for as long as the EDSM platform is up and running (its also a reason why we're thinking of putting together a printed GMP memento booklet at some point, as EDSM along with all the info we collated for it could be gone one day).

About renewal entries, no history will be changed and "rewritten". I learned my lesson, I tried to do the latest entries as proof that I want to keep the history around with GMP standards. Take your time submitting them, I'll just make a passive list and get them little by little as people resubmit them. When I get the thread you can check it (or I can send you a draft) so everything is in complaince. I just don't want stuff to be forgotten and to be in a good presentation to preserve as much as possible while respecting the nature of the original submissions. I don't plan to represent the project in any way (nor plan to), I'm just interested in keeping it good for the future.

The latest 3 renewals that I did are proof of concept of what I plan with the renewals/direct people to. So far I've seen they were well recieved so I think I'm right path. If not, let me know.

I agree, GMP entries should be locked, hence why I'm making a thread for you guys to review on your own time and select whats worth/not worth renewing. As I said, I want to cooperate as much as preserving history as it is but keep it accesible for new explorers (so they can learn the importance and the history of some entries!).

If I do get to do a new catalog, it will have a different nature but will still follow some properties/guidelines from GMP (notability, worth visiting,etc), but I plan it to be unique and its own thing. As people said it, I want to make my own project, so I'll try to see if I can do it.

I hope if the renewal thread does take off, the pictures and anything submitted can help you guys in the creation of the memento. All I care really is to keep the ship afloat, no matter the cost. And your thousands of hours worth, because I did enjoyed what project produced.

About renewal entries, no history will be changed and "rewritten". I learned my lesson, I tried to do the latest entries as proof that I want to keep the history around with GMP standards. Take your time submitting them, I'll just make a passive list and get them little by little as people resubmit them. When I get the thread you can check it (or I can send you a draft) so everything is in complaince. I just don't want stuff to be forgotten and to be in a good presentation to preserve as much as possible while respecting the nature of the original submissions. I don't plan to represent the project in any way (nor plan to), I'm just interested in keeping it good for the future.

The latest 3 renewals that I did are proof of concept of what I plan with the renewals/direct people to. So far I've seen they were well recieved so I think I'm right path. If not, let me know.

I agree, GMP entries should be locked, hence why I'm making a thread for you guys to review on your own time and select whats worth/not worth renewing. As I said, I want to cooperate as much as preserving history as it is but keep it accesible for new explorers (so they can learn the importance and the history of some entries!).

If I do get to do a new catalog, it will have a different nature but will still follow some properties/guidelines from GMP (notability, worth visiting,etc), but I plan it to be unique and its own thing. As people said it, I want to make my own project, so I'll try to see if I can do it.

I hope if the renewal thread does take off, the pictures and anything submitted can help you guys in the creation of the memento. All I care really is to keep the ship afloat, no matter the cost. And your thousands of hours worth, because I did enjoyed what project produced.

Cheers Richard (y)

I'll be happy to link your project/thread from the GMP index on post #1 on this thread, and redirect all future enquiries to it.

I hope you can work something out with Anthor that fulfills your needs and also protects the GMP archive. But to be honest, I think it may be a case of you finding a new platform to host your project and admin it yourself instead of relying on others, or have your thread host it entirely? (back in the day, and for the first 16 months of its existence before EDSM came along, the GMP was hosted entirely in this very thread with a whole section dedicated to handcrafted maps and hand drawn (yes hand drawn!) POI markers! It was bloody time consuming, but it kind of worked lol. So its possible, but granted not the modern way to do it though. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide, and with your ideas. o7.

Last edited:
Cheers Richard (y)

I'll be happy to link your project/thread from the GMP index on post #1 on this thread, and redirect all future esquires to it.

I hope you can work something out with Anthor that fulfills your needs and also protects the GMP archive. But to be honest, I think it may be a case of you finding a new platform to host your project and admin it yourself instead of relying on others, or have your thread host it entirely? (back in the day, and for the first 16 months of its existence before EDSM came along, the GMP was hosted entirely in this very thread with a whole section dedicated to handcrafted maps and hand drawn (yes hand drawn!) POI markers! It was bloody time consuming, but it kind of worked lol. So its possible, but granted not the modern way to do it though. ;)

Good luck with whatever you decide, and with your ideas. o7.

Thank you for the support! It means a lot.

The only bad news is that you made the move pretty early while I was developing the concept of both threads 😖. But fret not, I'll get something going on soon....I hope I can at least make it on time and have something ready before May 1st. (At least finish going through the list of entries and categorize them).

I was thinking perhaps speaking to INARA, but to not having EDSM on board would be kind off devastating because it's such a centric platform for exploration. Regardless, I just messaged Anthor and he replied to me to talk to him in 2 weeks about it so I'll figure it out by that time.

Overall, I really hope to have Anthor on board with this, since I'm an EDSM nerd myself and well, convincing everyone to go somewhere else for exploration will be pretty rough. It's funny because that would be the hardest part (and what I'm most nervous about) of the whole endeavour, convincing him and reaching him rather than creating the whole thing.

Lets see how it goes. I'll message you the draft in some weeks.

If anyone wants to pitch in, just message me here or in discord (I'm everywhere there community wise).

Cheers

Last edited:
Let me know what you come up with, with Anthor. I've been kicking the idea around of creating a crowdsourced POI system on EDAstro. The focus would be very different than what the GMP has been, since the idea would be for everyone to create their own POIs to share, and then everyone could vote on them, resulting in scores that can be used to filter the list or highlight particularly good POIs.

Here's what I've been thinking:
  • Accounts can create/edit their own POIs
  • Everyone can rate other POIs with 1-5 stars
  • Designated curators also vote on POIs
  • POIs receive scores based on number and quality of votes.
  • POIs have two scores- One from curators, one from everyone else.
Nothing is set in stone, and I'm just throwing around ideas at the moment. Before starting on something like that, I want to make sure I'm not duplicating effort, so whether Anthor helps with a project on EDSM is something I'd like to consider.

A necessary first step is account management, registration, and logins, and I have that part working on EDAstro now.

EDIT: I'll start a separate thread to discuss this in more detail.

Last edited:

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Please note that from May 1st 2022 the Galactic Mapping Project will enter Maintenance Mode. Thus no new entries submitted after that date will be added to the community maps.

We feel as though this project has come to the end of its relevance in Elite Dangerous. The project is over 6 years old at the time of this post, and unless there's some radically new content and unique POIs added to Elite Dangerous by the developers, there remains little incentive to continue the project as it was originally intended. We feel the GMP (like the Distant Worlds expeditions which were retired last month), are products of their time and have had their day.

Of course, this may change depending on where Elite Dangerous goes during the Odyssey season and beyond, and whether the galaxy (which at this point is now old and well traveled) gets a overhaul and an injection of new phenomena, explorable environments, or even new entire regions (unlikely but we live in hope). If that ever happens, and if it reawakens the teams passion once more, then a decision to bring the project out of maintenance mode may be revisited.

In the mean time we will honour the promise made to the DSSA initiative two years ago, and that is to continue to add new DSSA deployments that submit their info to the thread, as well as upgrade DSSA POI submissions that qualify for Historical POI status as and when the 2-year anniversary of their deployments is reached. And as always we'll continue to fix links, grammar issues, and add screenshots to existing GMP POI entries if and when people bring them to the teams attention.

For those wishing to share their screenshots and discoveries (on the understanding that they will no longer be added to the community maps), you are of course still welcome to post them to this thread (which will remain open indefinitely as it hosts a lot of archived historical information, not just GMP stuff!), alternatively there is always the Explorers Photography thread, and The Great Big Odyssey Screenshots thread to post them to.

At the end of this year we hope to produce a .pdf booklet with a selection of the best POI entries, maps, and regional descriptions that have been submitted and collated by the GMP going back 6 years to the earliest days of Elite Dangerous. This would be a downloadble memento for those interested, with the possibility it'll become available in printed form too at some point.

Finally, I want to share a message posted to the GMP team recently when this decision was reached. From Corbin Moran, one of the original members of the GMP team and co-creator of the high-definition galaxy map that the GMP, EDSM, and pretty much all third party mapping apps use to this day;

"For me personally it has been an awesome experience to be part of a player driven project that has been enriching the play experience of so many others. I am really, really proud of what we have achieved regarding both the quality of the project, the maps, the writing, the interface, etc - but also the quantity of the staggering number of entries processed and numbers of players engaged with the GMP in various ways. The GMP together with EDSM became a galactic GPS - and for many players it served as a focal point for shared storytelling and community expeditions." - Corbin Moran, April 4th 2022.

On behalf of the GMP team, past and present, we want to thank everyone who has supported and contributed to the project since it began back on February 19th 2015. Its been a wonderful project to be a part of and see it grow into what it became.

-Erimus Kamzel (Founder), Corbin Moran (High-def map creator), Anthor (EDSM), Andrew Gaspurr (data entry), Heavy Johnson (data entry), Kazahnn Drahnn (data entry), Jon Burnage (data entry), Baxder (data entry), Orvidius (EDastro).

o7.
Sorry to hear that and thanks for your hard work on this project guys!

o7

DW gone, GMP gone. That's not good.

EDIT

Thank you guys for the amazing work during all the years. DW2 for me was an amazing trip....I'm still on my way back home ;)

Its a sign of the times sadly. The game is old and the communities that were around at the beginning and who instigated a lot of these kinds of projects and the mega events have moved on or are no longer motivated to carry on. Happens in all games. Sill, its a chance for new people to get creative and fill the void and try something new, although I doubt anyone will ever pull off another Distant Worlds type event like what we witnessed, or create something that has the impact the GMP did. Time will tell.

Sad times and the end of an era, but maybe the beginning of a new one.

Its a sign of the times sadly. The game is old and the communities that were around at the beginning and who instigated a lot of these kinds of projects and the mega events have moved on or are no longer motivated to carry on. Happens in all games. Sill, its a chance for new people to get creative and fill the void and try something new, although I doubt anyone will ever pull off another Distant Worlds type event like what we witnessed, or create something that has the impact the GMP did. Time will tell.

Sad times and the end of an era, but maybe the beginning of a new one.
Sadly, as the content doesn´t change (rather - untils it changes), it would be repititions of prior activities......

Of course this may change depending on where Elite Dangerous goes during the Odyssey season, and beyond, and whether the galaxy (which at this point is now old and well traveled) gets an overhaul and an injection of new phenomena, explorable environments, or even new entire regions (unlikely but we live in hope). If that ever happens, and if it reawakens the teams passion once more, then a decision to bring the project out of maintenance mode may be revisited.

On behalf of the GMP team, past and present, we want to thank everyone who has supported and contributed to the project since it began back on February 19th 2015. Its been a wonderful project to be a part of and see it grow into what it became.

o7.
I completely disagree with you guys that it is no longer relevant. I think the GMP could have a future with Odyssey. Always been an advocate for this project. However y'all have your reasons, so I wish you all well and thank you for the contributions to the community you guys have made throughout ED's history.

Of course this may change depending on where Elite Dangerous goes during the Odyssey season, and beyond, and whether the galaxy (which at this point is now old and well traveled) gets an overhaul and an injection of new phenomena, explorable environments, or even new entire regions (unlikely but we live in hope). If that ever happens, and if it reawakens the teams passion once more, then a decision to bring the project out of maintenance mode may be revisited.

o7.

It's been a remarkable work and no doubt a thankless task curating all those entries. I don't have to imagine how galling it must have been to have years of work invalidated by each planetary surface change.

But you know, thanks to the GMP I have seen remarkable things and felt the enormous pride of having submissions accepted. You should be proud of everything you have done.

Thank you all for keeping it going this long.

This news has made me feel rather melancholic all of a sudden. Even though I only used it occasionally these days, knowing the GMP was always there and still going after all these years, felt good in a way. Its kinda always been there, in the background, a community initiative that's a throwback to the first days of Elite Dangerous and links the past to the present. Knowing that a link to the past was always there, and this initiative striving to preserve the history of exploration throughout the years, felt kind of comforting (weird I know). But now it really does feel like the end of an era as someone mentioned, especially since the Distant Worlds events have been officially retired too.

I can't say I'm overly surprised though. The game as far as exploration goes just hasn't progressed enough in recent years to keep things relevant, fresh, and new, or players who've been around a while, committed and passionate. Don't get me started on Odyssey, its just meh imo. That's my take on it anyway.

My hats off to all those who made these projects what they were.

Top Bottom