The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

POI type: Planetary nebula
Name: Blue Button Nebula (Button sounds the same to me as Baton ;) )
Galmap ref: Eord Prau MS-T e3-265
Description: Single system blue nebula with black hole being orbited by two gas giants. Thanks to it's close location to much bigger Eord Prau nebula it offers very interesting view.

Photos:

g0Y5aY3.jpg

w7TKG4V.jpg

POI type: nebula
Galmap ref: Eord Prau SZ-C c14-253
Name: Eord Prau nebula (feel free to rename)
Desc: Medium size red nebula.

Photo:

ijHyvBl.jpg

Submitting Surface POI

Name: Scarred Planet
GalMap: Phroea Hype NT-P d6-22
Description: The only landable planet in the system is planet 3, a ringed metal rich body. From a distance, it is nothing spectacular about the planet aside from the rings, but on approach, several red marks appear on the planet's surface. Flying closer reveals the marks to be valleys that are discolored from the rest of the surface, possibly from the planet's own volcanoes.

Initial approach showing rings
Red features apparent
The red is at a lower elevation than the rest of the surface.
Up close and personal with the feature

(Apologies for the in-cockpit with hud shots, I'm not that confident to take pictures using the free camera while approaching the surface)

POI Name : Gorgons.
POI Type : Stellar Features.
GalMap Ref : RIDGOO WP-G D10-120.

Description : An Earth-like World orbiting around a couple of Water World terraformables discovered during the Perseus Survey in the remote and little explored region in Via Maris. In Greek mythology, a Gorgon is a female creature. Traditionally, while two of the Gorgons were immortal, Stheno and Euryale, their sister Medusa was not as she was slain by the demigod and hero Perseus.

Screenshot Reference :

1516578045-screenshot-0926.png

1516578051-screenshot-0925.png

Last edited:
Submitting Surface POI

Name: Scarred Planet
GalMap: Phroea Hype NT-P d6-22
Description: The only landable planet in the system is planet 3, a ringed metal rich body. From a distance, it is nothing spectacular about the planet aside from the rings, but on approach, several red marks appear on the planet's surface. Flying closer reveals the marks to be valleys that are discolored from the rest of the surface, possibly from the planet's own volcanoes.

Initial approach showing rings
Red features apparent
The red is at a lower elevation than the rest of the surface.
Up close and personal with the feature

(Apologies for the in-cockpit with hud shots, I'm not that confident to take pictures using the free camera while approaching the surface)

Makes you wonder how this will change with the new planetary tech coming soon! :)

That looks like some serious anomaly of the stellar forge :eek:

Really? I come by at least 3 of such systems everyday when I travel... I do not even take photos anymore as they are quite common.. Never considered it a glitch, just a very fast one, but my knowledge of these things is minimal :) Thinking of it if there is another star less than 10 ls away then neutron star is usually much faster.

Well, this phenomenon is news to me at least :D During my current two year expedition I have stayed away from neutron boosting for safety reasons. I will ask the rest of the mapping team about their experience with fast spinning neutrons.

I concur with Baton, I've seen many examples of mad strobing neutrons. Millisecond pulsars are a thing in the real galaxy so they can spin mindbogglingly fast for something with so much mass.

They are pretty common, i think the jet size of neutron stars depends on their mass. It would explain why the biggest neutrons are the ones with suns orbiting closely.

Just wanted to add that fast-spinning pulsars are actually pretty common, and very much a real thing. As Iain was saying, millisecond pulsars are out there, spinning hundreds of times per second.

They are most frequently found in tight binary orbits, because they spin up to insane speeds by stealing mass from their companion star. If you do find one by itself, that is usually because it has already destroyed the companion. They steal mass until they reach a point where their increased radiation output begins to slowly strip away the companion star, until it's gone. One of the science shows I was watching recently described it as "killing its companion, and then disposing of the body". :)

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

From what you say, I take it that really fast spinning neutrons are not rare enough to be added to the GMP.

But the POI submission also mentions two other abnormalities (which was what I was referring to in my original answer):
1) that travel through the fast spinning jets of one of the neutrons was "safe" (not sure what is implied by that)
2) that one of the neutrons was scoopable

Has anyone of you encoutered these effects with other fast spinning neutrons?
I wonder if (2) is caused by that particular neutron star being in a close orbit with a scoopable star...

I think we need more data before this entry can be added.

NAME: The Glitchtron
SYSTEM(s) (there are three of them):
1st (consider it main one, name, screens and description provided are for it): NGC 6567 Sector IR-W d1-40
2nd: Bleia Dryiae LP-M D8-3
3rd: Blae Drye JN-H D11-17

DESCRIPTION: A neutron star rotating with madly insane high speed (possibly due to coding mistake or a glitch). Besides abnormal rotation object acts like a normal neutron star, flying through its spectacular thick jets is safe. The pair of stars - red and brown dwarf - are orbiting it just 30ly away, making perfect opportunity for a spectacular photo. One of them is also scoopable.

SCREENSHOTS:
https://imgur.com/gGuwxTm
https://imgur.com/M5wEWgK
https://imgur.com/LAxW75K
https://imgur.com/RhojRK8

A potato quality video of it made by one of us - https://youtu.be/RQTVYZeJnOg

Thank you for the feedback everyone.

From what you say, I take it that really fast spinning neutrons are not rare enough to be added to the GMP.

But the POI submission also mentions two other abnormalities (which was what I was referring to in my original answer):
1) that travel through the fast spinning jets of one of the neutrons was "safe" (not sure what is implied by that)
2) that one of the neutrons was scoopable

Has anyone of you encoutered these effects with other fast spinning neutrons?
I wonder if (2) is caused by that particular neutron star being in a close orbit with a scoopable star...

I think we need more data before this entry can be added.

I can speak to your first question - I’ve flown through super-fast neutron jets and they’re no more dangerous than normal ones. I’ve no idea what a scoopable neutron is though. I have heard of examples that are close enough to a scoopable star to be able to refuel and supercharge simultaneously.

I can speak to your first question - I’ve flown through super-fast neutron jets and they’re no more dangerous than normal ones. I’ve no idea what a scoopable neutron is though. I have heard of examples that are close enough to a scoopable star to be able to refuel and supercharge simultaneously.

Technically, all neutrons are "scoopable" in the sense that you have to have a fuel scoop on your ship and enabled in order to get that boost. It could just be that the cmdr noticed the scooping sound in this instance because they had never encountered one of the more active neutron stars before and were therefore noticing noises they might otherwise tune out.

With that said, neither 1 nor 2 would be an abnormality from my standpoint without more information.

#1 all neutron star jets are safe to fly through, i believe the size of the jet and your ship's size roughly affects how much your ship is knocked around inside it, but that there are pretty reasonable upper and lower limits

driving into a neutron star jet with a fuel scoop for a bit gets you a single-use hyperspace jump that's three times as powerful, but it damages your frameshift drive a little

#2 no neutron stars are scoopable, but it's possible maybe another star orbits so close that scoop distance is inside the neutron jet

Last edited:
Looking at the galaxy map, i find it strange that the previously locked Ovomly sector out in the Perseus Crags hasn't been explored much at all... zero POIs or anything has been logged there.
Can we really be sure that there's nothing hidden if it's been barely looked through?

I think this area definitely deserves attention, and i'm personally very willing to take a trip out there after i can pick up the Chieftain.

Looking at the galaxy map, i find it strange that the previously locked Ovomly sector out in the Perseus Crags hasn't been explored much at all... zero POIs or anything has been logged there.
Can we really be sure that there's nothing hidden if it's been barely looked through?

I think this area definitely deserves attention, and i'm personally very willing to take a trip out there after i can pick up the Chieftain.

Good idea :)

Submitting "Green system" on the Colonia highway.

Name: Laika's Depot (not sure I can name it since I'm not the 1st to discover it, yet I am the 1st to report it as green system...)
Game map search ref: Gria Drye TJ-X d2-155
Description: Green system on th Colonia highway with a neutron star as system's main star
Screenshot reference: https://imgur.com/a/IpiQH (album with shots showing all materials)

I've spent a while looking there (I was the one who submitted the sector to the GMP originally), but at the time, I appeared to have been the only one. Didn't find anything POI-worthy to log. Of course, I wouldn't say that I'm certain there's nothing there - and you know, I think I'll head back there too. I've recently been debating where to go, as I first wanted to go to some proc. gen. nebulae, but then I realised I've kind of had enough of high stellar density backdrops, for the time being at least. Say, would you pop me a friend request?

Small customer feedback:

When I open the galactic map, and display nebula POI's, on mouseover they display a name for example Teal Nebula. For me it would be much more useful if there would be the actual name next to it in brackets so Teal Nebula (Eorl Auwsy AA-A H5) , then with one glance I know what I need to. Right now I have to open each one, then close etc.
As a person who used the map a lot over last three months to help me navigate I would find change like this very helpful. Just a thought :)

Actualy this is how Cat's Paw Nebula looks now :)

Last edited:
Small customer feedback:

When I open the galactic map, and display nebula POI's, on mouseover they display a name for example Teal Nebula. For me it would be much more useful if there would be the actual name next to it in brackets so Teal Nebula (Eorl Auwsy AA-A H5) , then with one glance I know what I need to. Right now I have to open each one, then close etc.
As a person who used the map a lot over last three months to help me navigate I would find change like this very helpful. Just a thought :)

Actualy this is how Cat's Paw Nebula looks now :)

Check the map now - should be in place.

All awesomeness regarding it goes to Anthor (EDSM) :)

Check the map now - should be in place.

All awesomeness regarding it goes to Anthor (EDSM) :)

WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!! You telling me now after I am finally coming back to the bubble after three months that all I had to do was ask???????

OK, how about another minor improvement, every time I click on nebula name, £1 gets transfered to my paypal account?

Seriously, awesome job guys, thank you! I love the EDSM even more :)

(one last thing, on the list of top 100 first discovered systems can you please put me back on 20th place? I was there for just couple of hours and it felt good ;) )

Top Bottom