The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Now the needed update for Insinnergy's World:
Cl2prWn.jpg

This one doesn't seem to have changed much compared to the previous picture. The biologicals are all around the planet, so no need for coordinates.

That's good news as its an interesting world with a great backdrop if I remember correctly. Discovered by someone during DW2, its also one of the official stopover points for the Distant Worlds 2 Science megaship that periodically travels around the galactic core.

Seeing there is some talk about plugins right now. If you want to help Canonn, we have a plugin that will show you information about things that are currently known in system, where to find jumponium and note worthy bodies like sheperd moons or colliding bodies. It also suggests places to visit including GMP pois.

unknown (2).png

You can get the plugin from https://canonn.fyi/plugin

If you just want to help send data or are on console you can send data to Canonn using https://journal-limpet.com by checking Canonn in the settings page

Our data is on 3D maps https://map.canonn.tech/

We also provide spreadheets
All Codex data some FSS Events and SAA Signals are stored in a cloud mysql database and used for showing code icons. This data can be accessed through data dumps in compressed json format.
We also provide APIs on request.

Hi,

To be clear, the DSN has absolutely no intention to duplicate (with less quality) what canonn, IGAU, EDSM, ... do very well. We don't host online databases or api.
We also promote since a long time the previously cited databases and related plugins.

The plugin we have created is only for our own expedition use (Artemis Biological Survey), to allow our participants to have real time information about only what is discovered by the expedition (and not all commanders across the galaxy). The objective is also to provide support to our activities (POI seach competitions for example). So this plugin will not be continued after the expedition. Anyway it's a very small plugin and focused plugin. However as explorer we will try to understand how these poi are spawned, and we will share with great pleasure discovering if we do any.

Best regards.
Alistair Hope

Hi,

To be clear, the DSN has absolutely no intention to duplicate (with less quality) what canonn, IGAU, EDSM, ... do very well. We don't host online databases or api.
We also promote since a long time the previously cited databases and related plugins.

The plugin we have created is only for our own expedition use (Artemis Biological Survey), to allow our participants to have real time information about only what is discovered by the expedition (and not all commanders across the galaxy). The objective is also to provide support to our activities (POI seach competitions for example). So this plugin will not be continued after the expedition. Anyway it's a very small plugin and focused plugin. However as explorer we will try to understand how these poi are spawned, and we will share with great pleasure discovering if we do any.

Best regards.
Alistair Hope

Perfectly understood. We love to support expeditions and to quote Liam Neeson we have a particular set of skills.. ok maybe a different context there.

One of the things we do is send real time details of new discoveries to our alert discord. If you would like something like that for your plugin do get in touch and we can arrange an integration.

The update of Up Above:
uxF4LRA.png

First, Silicate Vapor Geysers don't exist in game as such. So you should change the description for "volcanism" for a general category, as this system has many bodies with it containing fumaroles, gas vents and lava sprouts. There are also a couple of bodies with metallic magma volcanism.

Second, the above picture is taken really close to the original one. There's a single fumarole there but it's something and as it's really near I didn't want to keep searching, to honor the original discovery. You could just correct the coordinates just a bit. The new ones in Quemie RH-M d7-6 Planet 8 C A would be -3.564061, -57.37426 .

And the last chapter of the follow-up report on the planetary features of the galactic center is to sadly inform that the Titan stuck his fingers in the meat grinder.

Eoch Bli EQ-F c27-2241

A couple of pictures comparing with the originals posted here:
ZpzF7u4.png

CBqkPKM.png

All done now. I think I'm gonna make a last visit to them in Horizons and enjoy them for the last time.

It was suggested I report this tiny little body to the GMP.

A radius of 489klms, an atmospheric density of 0.05 atmospheres and ten bio signals (12 slots in the new bio register though) It's unusually small to have such a dense atmosphere and it has the highest number of bio signals I have yet seen (9 being my previous record) so it may be worth noting. Of course it's early stage in Odyssey so this may turn out to be quite common, or it may not.

B3kL8nh.jpg

The update of Up Above:
uxF4LRA.png

First, Silicate Vapor Geysers don't exist in game as such. So you should change the description for "volcanism" for a general category, as this system has many bodies with it containing fumaroles, gas vents and lava sprouts. There are also a couple of bodies with metallic magma volcanism.

Second, the above picture is taken really close to the original one. There's a single fumarole there but it's something and as it's really near I didn't want to keep searching, to honor the original discovery. You could just correct the coordinates just a bit. The new ones in Quemie RH-M d7-6 Planet 8 C A would be -3.564061, -57.37426 .
And the last chapter of the follow-up report on the planetary features of the galactic center is to sadly inform that the Titan stuck his fingers in the meat grinder.

Eoch Bli EQ-F c27-2241

A couple of pictures comparing with the originals posted here:
ZpzF7u4.png

CBqkPKM.png

All done now. I think I'm gonna make a last visit to them in Horizons and enjoy them for the last time.

Thanks again for checking those out!

We'll be rethinking the way volcanism is recorded. Its obviously a very common feature, but in Horizons it was a little easier to add them as POIs since some were quite densely compact at localized sites. So far in EDO they're spread across 100s of kms. Hopefully there'll still be locations within those planet-wide biomes that have exceptionally high concentrations of vents, fumaroles, geysers etc.

Also, Fingers of the Titan will now be archived.

Last edited:
It was suggested I report this tiny little body to the GMP.

A radius of 489klms, an atmospheric density of 0.05 atmospheres and ten bio signals (12 slots in the new bio register though) It's unusually small to have such a dense atmosphere and it has the highest number of bio signals I have yet seen (9 being my previous record) so it may be worth noting. Of course it's early stage in Odyssey so this may turn out to be quite common, or it may not.

B3kL8nh.jpg

Yep that looks like a weird one - atmospherically and with the number of bio signals too.

Nice find Varonica (y)

Galactic Re-Mapping Project courtesy of Frontier Developments :p
It seems that way doesn't it.

I do feel great happiness in being a part of this great community project. Though the people here both staff and contributors.
And I also feel some personal pride in having organised several expeditions that contributed to the GMP, including the Mercury 7 Expedition which was an early expedition sponsored by the Galactic Mapping Project.

In many ways EDO feels like a new game, and not a DLC. If I think of it as 'Elite 5' it makes much more sense to me.

Discovered by myself and CMDR Animorx. I should probably note as it's impossible to convey this through screenshots (other than perhaps the SRV scanner one), there are more geological sites in this valley than I've ever seen on Horizons or Odyssey so we figured it was worthy of a POI. The majority of those boulders are some sort of fumarole or vent and there are such sites spread through this canyon.

Name: Vallées Du Ciel
Game map search ref:HD 75145 A 4 B
Description:The Vallées Du Ciel are located in the HD 75145 system on the moon A 4 B and contain vast networks of canyons and mountains due to the tectonic stresses endured during it’s close orbit with a binary partner. Within one of these canyons lies a significant concentration of Iron Magma Vents and Sulphur Dioxide Fumaroles which, when erupting, create a marvelous sight. Due to this significant concentration of volcanic activity, there are many materials brought to the surface making the planet ripe for mining opportunities. Whilst the geological sites alone make this moon well worth a visit, HD 75145 is located both high on the galactic plane and close to the edge of the Galaxy which provides stunning vistas of the Milky Way which in conjunction with the high mountain ranges, deep canyons and intense geological activity creates epic views well worth a visit to see from any passing explorers.

Note - HD 75145 is only accessible with a fleet carrier jump of 493ly from Gyrield OY-Q d5-0
Screenshot reference:
359320_20210608140729_1.png
20210607224536_1.jpg
20210608113505_1.jpg
System_map.jpg
Test.jpg
20210608185347_1.jpg
20210607232726_1.jpg

Last edited:
I think its a safe bet that no Horizons surface features will exist in Odyssey.

But as Baxder mentions, we'll keep them archived for posterity, so those who discovered them can still look them up on the maps. :)
On the subject of surface sites, a forum thread that might be of interest.

Ok, time to submit this one, rediscovered for Oddyssey. I can propose it as an historical POI because my CMDR used it as the first body to be circumnavigated on foot (check the thread here and conversation here to see if you deem it admissible as historical) and/or as a planetary feature due to its huge crater in such small body.

Name: The Pilgrim's Eye
Galmap Reference: Stuelou OJ-E c26-45 3 c a
Description: This small body became the first recorded circumnavigation of an alien world done on foot in May 27th, 3307. It was possible in less than 80 hours thanks to its relatively small size and mild temperatures. Link .

This small moon is in a system with many diverse bodies that form a gorgeous scenery if you land on its surface. Despite its size, an asteroid of a considerable size managed to make bullseye on it, forming a crater that is 50km wide with vertical walls and around 6km deep, making a distinctive feature of this planetoid. There are several other big craters not as magnificent as well as volcanism in different parts of it.

Screenshot reference:
BFAOqah.png

W77up2L.gif

Zh4Cu4Z.png

Ok, time to submit this one, rediscovered for Oddyssey. I can propose it as an historical POI because my CMDR used it as the first body to be circumnavigated on foot (check the thread here and conversation here to see if you deem it admissible as historical) and/or as a planetary feature due to its huge crater in such small body.

Name: The Pilgrim's Eye
Galmap Reference: Stuelou OJ-E c26-45 3 c a
Description: This small body became the first recorded circumnavigation of an alien world done on foot in May 27th, 3307. It was possible in less than 80 hours thanks to its relatively small size and mild temperatures. Link .

This small moon is in a system with many diverse bodies that form a gorgeous scenery if you land on its surface. Despite its size, an asteroid of a considerable size managed to make bullseye on it, forming a crater that is 50km wide with vertical walls and around 6km deep, making a distinctive feature of this planetoid. There are several other big craters not as magnificent as well as volcanism in different parts of it.

Screenshot reference:
BFAOqah.png

W77up2L.gif

Zh4Cu4Z.png

Hey Alex, first off - well done on a unique journey! And your write up and documentation of it is superb too (y)

We understand that there is some controversy involved in whether or not this was done in the spirit of circumnavigation, as some automation was used. We read the conversation you linked, and I've also had a talk with Alec Turner (circumnavigation club) about it.

This is what I recommend. The GMP will record your entry as a historical POI, but with the following caveat mentioned in the descriptive text...

"This is recorded as the first "aided" circumnavigation (as some aspects of it were done using automated methods)".

In addition, if and when a fully unaided circumnavigation occurs, your POI will be recategorized from historical to a planetary feature POI instead, with the first fully unaided trek taking precedent with the historical tag.

However, we would insist that for your achievement to be surpassed, someone will need to fully record every second of their unaided trek, and that it should be verified by the planetary circumnavigation club before that person submits it to the GMP (if that is indeed what that person wants to do).

Since this is all new and you're breaking new ground here, there aren't any guidelines to follow just yet. We may also have to include different categories for this kind of entry too, as there may be someone crazy enough out there to attempt to circumnavigate a world that's the size of Earth one day! And that too will deserve historical recognition.

Sure thing, that's why I also put more depth in the description of the geographical feature which, unless all of a sudden things like that begin to appear everywhere in Oddyssey, I feel the crater is pretty unique, and I highlighted the questionable admissibilty of the historical thing.

A bit of off-topic remark on the circumnavigation: now that there's no rush I figure that someday I'll try again in shorter sessions that prevent me from falling asleep in the chair or take a stroll to the kitchen while my CMDR keeps walking. But it's gonna be hard to design it in some way that can later be proved as fully unaided. There are too many variables that can make this impossible to prove it beyond all doubt.
For example, if a video proof is needed, nobody can upload the hundreds of GB of video for that (It's a miracle I had the space for the raw files to begin with). Either this someone uploads a compressed time video where you can't see , or does like I did and leave the mouse alone for long periods to not alter the pitch (which also makes the beautiful effect of the changing sky). It's also questioned if mapping the throttle to the throttle controller's axis is legit, but the game has it built-in and many people do it normally. And everything really is falsifiable (from fake mouse movements to cutting parts when the wanderer is stuck), be it video or text log.
If I try again I'll make sure to engage in the Circumnavigation Club's thread first to find an "acceptable standard" before starting; I don't wanna send another 70 hours of tedium to trash because of technicalities.

Sure thing, that's why I also put more depth in the description of the geographical feature which, unless all of a sudden things like that begin to appear everywhere in Oddyssey, I feel the crater is pretty unique, and I highlighted the questionable admissibilty of the historical thing.

A bit of off-topic remark on the circumnavigation: now that there's no rush I figure that someday I'll try again in shorter sessions that prevent me from falling asleep in the chair or take a stroll to the kitchen while my CMDR keeps walking. But it's gonna be hard to design it in some way that can later be proved as fully unaided. There are too many variables that can make this impossible to prove it beyond all doubt.
For example, if a video proof is needed, nobody can upload the hundreds of GB of video for that (It's a miracle I had the space for the raw files to begin with). Either this someone uploads a compressed time video where you can't see , or does like I did and leave the mouse alone for long periods to not alter the pitch (which also makes the beautiful effect of the changing sky). It's also questioned if mapping the throttle to the throttle controller's axis is legit, but the game has it built-in and many people do it normally. And everything really is falsifiable (from fake mouse movements to cutting parts when the wanderer is stuck), be it video or text log.
If I try again I'll make sure to engage in the Circumnavigation Club's thread first to find an "acceptable standard" before starting; I don't wanna send another 70 hours of tedium to trash because of technicalities.

Yep, I agree. Those stipulations are there only because some people complained about the way you did it, so its there to cover all bases. Personally speaking, I'd be surprised to see someone circumnavigate a whole planet on foot without some automation involved, the task would be monumental, especially on larger worlds. But since people questioned your methods, its only fair we put in the caveat and challenge others to find a way to do it in a way that satisfies all (if that's possible ;)).

This is worrisome. How will the mapping project work with copy / pasted POIs that are no longer unique?

Unless frontier sort this out, it could be the end of exploration for a lot of players :(

Identical terrain on two different worlds. Linky

terrain.jpg

This is worrisome. How will the mapping project work with copy / pasted POIs that are no longer unique?

Unless frontier sort this out, it could be the end of exploration for a lot of players :(

Identical terrain on two different worlds. Linky

View attachment 238842
People keep complaining about this, but I actually really like the underlying idea. The previous terrain model had a real problem with creating realistic surfaces. The picture you post here is actually a great example: previously you simply didn't have organized features like drainage deltas.

Of course, nothing comes for free. The client isn't going to run a full erosion model every time it generates a planetary surface. I think what Dr Ross and co have done is actually a really clever solution to the problem. What it seems like is going on is, terrains are built up from, for lack of a better term, landscape archetypes that exist as scale-free textures that can be reused as height maps, biome borders, and maybe other things. Not unlike building up an arbitrary function via Fourier transform, except that the basis functions are intelligently constructed landforms rather than say sine waves.

I think part of why FDev are acknowledging that the planet generation isn't working as they hoped, is that the repetition of these archetypes is far too obvious right now. I don't know if that's an issue where somebody's GPU didn't get to refine the surface enough before displaying it, or that's really what the terrain generation spits out sometimes due to some degeneracy in the algorithm. Hopefully they can work that out, because there are questionably some really ugly planets out there right now. But on the other hand, there are also cliffs and mountains realistically mantled in erosional apron deposits, drainage deltas, and a bunch of other cool features appearing at every scale.

I'm gonna go ahead and suggest that CMDRS leave how the GMP will work to the GMP, and discuss matters pertaining to the technical issues of Odyssey in the appropriate places. This thread is still dedicated to the submission of POI's, and for the time being, reevaluation of legacy POI's that may be affected by Odyssey.

Top Bottom