It's Cyrillic alphabet on English client, shown as squares.
They need to fix that though. I don't like translation of the game, because it is wrong simply. However, then I can't use cyrillic chat too.

Ah, shame,
I thought I was perhaps near & getting a comms challenge from Raxxla! šŸ˜

In Sol looking for the Main Asteroid belt between Mars & Jupiter. Looked for an hour, nothing showing!!

Edit: found it, but it isnā€™t a continuous asteroid belt as shown on the sysmap orrery view. It appears (so far, need to complete the circuit to confim) that there are three ā€œpatchesā€œ where the icon changes to show an asteroid belt. Dropping down from SC shows nothing (so far) on scanner, no asteroids at all! I flew outwards from Sol past Mars towards Jupiter & confirmed inner edge of belt is at 1029 ls form Sol & outer edge at 1630 ls, so midway is ~1327ls. I then flew clockwise at this radius (plus or minus around 5 to 10 ls) from Sol& dropped down when the icon changed to show a belt, then noted the distance to Mars, Mercury and Jupiter. There seemed to be one main area, with a small patch on the other side of the sun, and then just encountered another (but finished flying for tonight - G&T time).

Why am I doing this? Well:
Weā€™ve always said an asteroid belt would be a good place to hide Raxxla as nobody ever looks there (that changed with the advent if mining, but there are still a lot of asteroid belts in the universe!)

Cmdrs Koben & Stoutbeard did this already (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-8287107) and had some interesting comments

There are no belt clusters and hence nothing is targetable, which seems strange. Especially for Sol, humanityā€™s home system. Back in around 2016 when I first got the Sol permit the asteroid belt was targetable but it showed as being within the sun.

Long thought the Raxxla Codex logo might show the astronomical symbol for Sol, surrounded by a belt, and 33 blobs. What could the 33 signify?

Koben was adamant (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-8199366) that heā€™d seen a video interview (anyone got the reference for this?) where DB said ā€œ"if you're at the correct place and you scan it enough..." and "it is most likelly to reveal itself". All of this implies that you have already to be somewhat sure of its location and then it would reveal itself once scanned enough.ā€

Koben also said (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-8286434)
A couple of unusual things about the Asteroid Belts in Sol: 1. You cannot drop on a wing's beacon... you must drop manually within about 10km to get to the same instance; 2. Search&Rescue Conda/ASP quite often drops there after you; 3. No local comms...
If this is true then there is something mighty weird about Solā€™s asteroid belt!! And specifically so since this behaviour hasnā€™t been reported anywhere else.

Scytale (bless him! https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-8045873) suggested that Sol could be the toastsā€™s real jewel (which makes poetic sense, I think). Edit: thereā€™s a galnet post saying something about Sol being the Jewel of the galaxy!

It struck me that all the Codex bumpf about TDWā€™s hidden stealthy station might actually be obfuscation and a hint as to Raxxla itself being stealthy & hidden. That would fit with Kobenā€™s report of the DB interview.

That unsubstantiated rumour that MB said the Raxxla system had been visited by a pilot but Raxxla wasnā€™t noticed - well, was this major obfuscation? Sol has been visited by very many, and if it is stealthy Raxxla wouldnā€™t be noticed, and Sol is permit-locked.

That alien Artefact was found on Mars, which is not too far from the asteroid belt.

So, how do we ā€œscan enoughā€? To use the FSS you need to be in SC which could take you out of the instance. Iā€™ve pinged the Discovery Scanner every time I dropped out of SC in the belt but found nothing.

Last edited:
you could hide so much in asteroid clusters (belts) in systems and nobody would ever find them because they're utterly useless for any practical purpose in the game.

i even dropped down to some metallic clusters i found (since finding metallic rings around planets is harder than finding a community goal in Open without anyone interdicting players). Total waste of time - and it's a significant waste of time. So I wouldn't invest in time to visit a roid cluster unless I knew for sure there was something there worth the time (so basically never again)

I'd imagine one way fdev could implement raxxla without being on the hook for insane content is to make an entire roid belt be the remnants of raxxla. It having been destroyed by the ancestors of the club at some point in the distant past (but after the mars artifact).

<tinfoil> There is nothing significant about the background video here, it's just something to watch whilst I narrate. :) </tinfoil>

Cheers,

Drew.

Now then Mr W.

I have just got my gaming rig up and running again and I am taking my first opportunity to comment on your re-appearance, in this particular thread, after being very quiet on the old R mystery for some time.

We are expecting a major update ED: O, the Goids have been stretching their petals, and then you pop up in this particular thread, hmmmmm.

Call me a cynic but, BUT, have you been tasked by a certain developer to start up the narrative again? Perhaps to start dropping some tidbits in the not too distant future?
EDit to typos.

I'm sure someone thought of this already, but what if...

Raxxla is some kind of cosmic coordinates? What does "RA" translate to in space GPS? What does "XX"? And "LA?" More like, longitude, latitude, and vertical. Not sure if that's how it works, but I presume X axis is "RA", Y axis is "XX", and Z axis is "LA".

And also, what if The REAL Dark Wheel is not a space station, but a burnt-out Generation Ship? This thing certainly has the darkness and the rotation of a Dark Wheel. No, I did NOT find their literal headquarters, just THE Generation Ship Artemis made me think...
I'm a fan of this lead. It's one of those hiding in plain sight kind of clues. I tried to follow this over the summer and didn't get anything but it's still interesting.

To get GPS style coordinates in space there's right ascension and declination. I thought this article was super helpful for learning how this worked. It's also really neat to learn real life astronomy!

For converting Raxxla to coordinates, there's RA for Right Ascension which is used for mapping actual stars. That uses hours, minutes, and seconds as the hour angle so RA 10h 10m 50s would be a possible angle. Then it needs the declination to be an actual point in space. Reusing the +10 10 50 or -10 10 50 could work there. The A part at the end would denote the first star in the system.

Searching on SIMBAD for likely candidates helps. It allows for setting the ICRS (International Celestial Reference System, alternative to J200) epoch to 3300. That offsets for Earth's precession. Here's the coordinate search page:

I didn't see any good matches for 3300 or the current time (J2000). It also needs to be a point in the bubble or really close to it so that probably won't line up with those coordinates.

You need starting point. Those coordinates you talk are bound to Earth. Today. 1000y later it will differ. It takes only 25000 to swap polaris and sirius as northern star.
The ED galaxy is modelled on the current star positions. The positions have not been shifted to to 3300 coordinates.
The starting position has to be Sol, if we go by any of the 'out of game' coordinate systems. This makes sense, as the Raxxla myth is old. Humanity was still very much Sol centric at that time.

The main issue is the size of the search field. If we say RA is 10 10 50 or 20 50 or just 20, we have just a plane. A plain trough the galaxy is quite a lot of stars.
If we had the declination as well. it would still be a line. A long one.

Personally I favour the plain RA 20, due to the connections between Astrophel and the Cygnus constellation and the perfect alignment of Deneb, on the Zaonce - Riedquat line. It's still mostly lose end though.

Whilst out minding my own business, I recently took a "Tip Off" mission issued by TDW in Shinrarta Des. Eventually, I came upon the small starport 'Steelhook Point' in the HIP 17225 System - a recent CG was around these parts I am led to believe.

This small station has a very interesting item slowly rotating, screenies:

Steelhook Point.01.jpg
Steelhook Point.01.jpg
Steelhook Point.02.jpg
Steelhook Point.03.jpg
Steelhook Point.01.jpg
Steelhook Point.02.jpg
Steelhook Point.03.jpg

If you hang around long enough, a small inner game takes place and you can choose sides.

I have defended Steelhook Point and attacked it (as the game allows) - nothing much else happens.

I cannot seem to find out too much detail using 3rd party apps.

Anyone else been here?

Cheers Cmdr Merango

Just tooling around, looking for any associated links to the Raxxla codex logo, found this...

The hexagon of Saturn, was first recorded by Voyager 1981, later the data was identified by Nasa in 1988 and then Cassini-Huygens in 2006.

Dont believe its in game.

But has anyone tried listing to Saturn? The following looked somewhat familiar.

'John Stuart Reid's hypothesis explains the giant hexagonal cloud formation on Saturn as cymatic geometry created by an Extremely Low Frequency sonic source.'

Last edited:
Why not get yourself a new commander instead of killing off the old one? That way you can have two games underway at the same time, in 2 different areas-faster testing of hypotheses. Only cost you Ā£20! It could be your very own Xmas present to yourself! Think of all the effort you invested into your current pilotā€™s development, all that engineering grind...you know it makes sense! šŸ™‚

P.S. FD-am I still on for 50% introduction fee? šŸ˜

a) Not going to give Frontier another red cent.
b) Never did Engineers, hate grinding for stuff like that. Hate grinding and how it is at the center of all game play in ED.
c) Thanks for reminding me why I don't want to start it up again though, off to watch The Expanse instead. Cheers.

Has any of you been to sol lately? Did anyone notice the analyzing scan when aiming at sol? What is it? and why is the scan never complete

Yes, Iā€™m in Sol at the moment, grinding through checking out the asteroid belt (only figuratively, they are so infrequent itā€™s a grind looking for them, not that theyā€™re grinding together!).

It happens with some stars everywhere. Why? No idea. Sol doesnā€™t seem to be any different from others of same type. It doesnā€™t seem to be type-related to me, but perhaps somebody else has made a study of this phenomenon. I think itā€™s sufficiently frequent that it doesnā€™t mean anything significant. Other than itā€™s some form of bug. Have you checked out the ED Issues Tracker? Perhaps somebody has reported it as a bug?

a) Not going to give Frontier another red cent.
b) Never did Engineers, hate grinding for stuff like that. Hate grinding and how it is at the center of all game play in ED.
c) Thanks for reminding me why I don't want to start it up again though, off to watch The Expanse instead. Cheers.

Mmm, you sound grumpy... seasonal Bah Humbug overload? šŸŽ…šŸ¼šŸŽ…šŸ¼šŸŽ…šŸ¼

But yes I agree. FD seem to have a corporate misapprehension that grind in ED equates to good entertaining gameplay; I wonder if they actually play the game? Do the devs enjoy grind? Or do they have a different style of entertaining gameplay to everyone else which they have quietly kept to themselves? Iā€™m currently testing another Raxxla hypothesis which is also total grind.

Back
Top Bottom