I think MB's back tattoo hints at the Quest for Raxxla, depicting travel past various myths, gods, angels, Miltonian cosmology & Lovecraftian monsters, Yggdrasil etc etc. I now don't think it offers direct clues, just flavour...ending up at the gates to Paradise.

I'm wondering, since he spent so much effort inserting Paradise Lost's Miltonian cosmology into the ED galaxy, whether we should take another look at the sequel Paradise Regained to find our way back to Paradise/Raxxla.

Totally agree, the tattoo which is an abstract cover for his ‘unpublished’ story, I believe he actually wrote directly into the game… likely under the nose of FD.

Paradise Regained; it’s not an improbable proposal, but as a book I seem to recall it is rather a separate work, it’s more focused upon the temptation of Christ, it’s far removed from the fall; Satan is far less of an independent anti-hero, more of an atypical villain, and the first works focus on spatial orientation isn’t prominent, it being far more ‘Earth’ bound, I seem to recall?

I could be wrong, I was initially biased about Paradise Lost prior to this Quest, due to having it thrown at us (literally) at school, so likewise there could be some insight there.. And Brooke’s was I understand a lapse Catholic… ironic considering how anti-catholic Milton and his texts were…

Last edited:
O7 all, been a LONG time since I’ve posted here or even been in game. Like, just prior to Odyssey long time.
Anywho, back when this all started Brooks was quite heavily involved in the story aspect of the game and he was privy to Raxxla. It’s been gone over a billion times I know but he was a really big Lovecraft fan. I haven’t read it in great detail as of yet, more of a quick skim through, but there is “the whisperer in darkness” by lovecraft. Basically a story about a guy who didn’t believe in aliens but was coaxed into meeting with a guy who claimed to have proof there really were aliens. In meeting with him he finds out he plans on meeting with the aliens by letting them keep his brain alive in a jar and taking him out to their meeting place around Pluto. There was already one such brain in a jar in the guys house that could talk to him via an attached speaker, but sounded buzzy and whisper like. He tries to convince the main character to join him in this quest. Going back to meet the guy he finds out that it was an alien disguised as the guy and the brain in the jar was the guy he thought he was meeting.
Anywho, I have to wonder if the whisperer in witchspace is any relation to the story and if perhaps there might be some random encounter or audio to be found around Pluto or Charon etc. could be worse than that I suppose, could be any of the minor planets or Persephone for that matter.
Also, wonder if there is any item to take along as an analogue of the jar.
GuardianRelic.png

One of these might be a good start 😇

Probably because Sidney coined the word first, and his other works were very visually explorative utilising utopian concepts similar in theme to those in other influences in game, especially the Odyssey; or more likely there’s nothing more exciting than the allure of an obscure link.

Swinburne and others didn’t coin the name, Sidney did, and Swinburne’s text itself is a reference to and is about Sidney. Hard to know where to draw the line.

We all are also utilising the internet to cross-check our ageing memories - not the game…

The algorithm only shows information which scores highest in searches, and information that’s actually uploaded to the net….

Theres a likelihood there’s a real book, written by an Ethel Moonshot from Dorchester, but the only copy is in the Cambridge library…

I suspect a lot of the Codex is allegorical, some of it literal but ultimately is identifying spatial locations….but I also think the Codex author/s mixed their references…

It’s certainly a keystone to this mystery… and presumably we’re overthinking it all.

IMG_9746.jpeg

Last edited:
Mmm, been thinking about clues. MB clearly left us a few!
MB's Legacy novel: As a girl heroine Julia Cavus grew up without toys with a single possession, a book “about a young man’s quest to save a princess from an alien dragon” locked alone each day in the tiny family cell while her parents slaved in the mines. Julia as a girl “dreamed of being the first pilot to discover Raxxla”...She hoped to keep her Eagle as she’d grown accustomed to its idiosyncrasies...”whether it was a suitable ship for travelling all the way to Alliance space was another matter"

So: the toast guides us to Sol /Li Qing Jao station, which has gardens that point to Milton's cosmology; he told us Raxxla is in Alliance space, which matches the locale from @Rochester 's theory on Milton's cosmology as implemented in-game.

SO we have the novel's "book about a young man’s quest to save a princess from an alien dragon” and the Codex's "the children's story Princess Astrophel and the Spiralling Stars"
..are these two parts of a single clue?

Mmm, been thinking about clues. MB clearly left us a few!
MB's Legacy novel: As a girl heroine Julia Cavus grew up without toys with a single possession, a book “about a young man’s quest to save a princess from an alien dragon” locked alone each day in the tiny family cell while her parents slaved in the mines. Julia as a girl “dreamed of being the first pilot to discover Raxxla”...She hoped to keep her Eagle as she’d grown accustomed to its idiosyncrasies...”whether it was a suitable ship for travelling all the way to Alliance space was another matter"

So: the toast guides us to Sol /Li Qing Jao station, which has gardens that point to Milton's cosmology; he told us Raxxla is in Alliance space, which matches the locale from @Rochester 's theory on Milton's cosmology as implemented in-game.

SO we have the novel's "book about a young man’s quest to save a princess from an alien dragon” and the Codex's "the children's story Princess Astrophel and the Spiralling Stars"
..are these two parts of a single clue?
I think that’s exactly what many may presume, I’d hazard thats it’s an accurate assumption; I feel the book must have some answers.

Quick re-Googling and checking my ‘Legacy’ notes.

The name Julia one of the book’s protagonists, has its origins in Latin it can be a variation of Julietta / Julen and may mean “youthful” or “Jove's child”.

Jove, is Jupiter, a sky and thunder god.

The name may have been used in Roman times within several highborn clans of the emperors.

So potentially ‘high born’ / ‘child’?

Ignoring the more obvious link to Philip Sidney (‘are you Sir Philip Sidney”?) the audio from the in game Codex is interesting because to the ear it may be a mispronunciation?

It could be Astrofell, or Astrophem.

Astrofell - the works of Edmund Spenser is an unidentified plant, possibly an Aster - ‘star flower’, it appears in his poem about… Philip Sidney.

Astrophem - Astrophim - Astrophum are not real words, very likely a mispronunciation or misinterpretation. Either way the derivative is “star lover” as was with the original ‘Astrophil’ (star - Philip / lover of the star - Stella).

A basic re-search of “Princess” / “Spiral” / “story” shows nothing of significance.

It’s always been my interpretation that Astrophel in the Codex is some type of allegory in game, and might not be directly literal nor literary, who knows, as always it’s too wide a search, there seemingly are no commonalities to unpick this?

Last edited:
Yes, weve discussed that before, but "Julia" doesnt feel to me like a clue in the his context.

On the other hand we have both the novel's "book about a young man’s quest to save a princess from an alien dragon” and the Codex's "the children's story Princess Astrophel and the Spiralling Stars"....seems one or both of these is a clue but there are obvious differences between the two. I'm pondering whether the two need to be reconciled to actually generate the real clue. The two phrases appear to be a dichotomy but may be a single clue "for those with eyes to see"

Perhaps it was a "Prince" Astrophel? (googling suggests Astrophel is a boy's name)

Maybe "Astrophel" means astronomer? possibly with royal connections?...Tycho Brahe was "a member of a Danish noble family, but it was not mere lineage that gave Tycho his lasting image. He practised astronomy in a princely manner and on a grand scale."

Or "Princess Astrophel" might mean wife/sister/daughter of an aristocratic astronomer...Sophie/Sophia Thot Lange (née Brahe), Tycho's sister, "was a Danish noblewoman and horticulturalist with knowledge of astronomy, chemistry, and medicine."

Also Astrophel can mean "an unidentified plant, commonly believed to be akin to an aster"

Perhaps "Spiralling Stars" & "alien dragon" are linked/substitution?? Draco constellation??

Need more coffee!!! I feel as though I'm missing something here!

Edits
Sophie Brahe assisted with a set of observations on 11 November 1572, which led to the discovery of the supernova SN 1572-B Cas/ Tycho's supernova (don't think in-game).
There's a system Tycho but a way out of the bubble

Last edited:
Yes, weve discussed that before, but "Julia" doesnt feel to me like a clue in the his context.

On the other hand we have both the novel's "book about a young man’s quest to save a princess from an alien dragon” and the Codex's "the children's story Princess Astrophel and the Spiralling Stars"....seems one or both of these is a clue but there are obvious differences between the two. I'm pondering whether the two need to be reconciled to actually generate the real clue. The two phrases appear to be a dichotomy but may be a single clue "for those with eyes to see"

Perhaps it was a "Prince" Astrophel? (googling suggests Astrophel is a boy's name)

Maybe "Astrophel" means astronomer? possibly with royal connections?...Tycho Brahe was "a member of a Danish noble family, but it was not mere lineage that gave Tycho his lasting image. He practised astronomy in a princely manner and on a grand scale."

Or "Princess Astrophel" might mean wife/sister/daughter of an aristocratic astronomer...Sophie/Sophia Thot Lange (née Brahe), Tycho's sister, "was a Danish noblewoman and horticulturalist with knowledge of astronomy, chemistry, and medicine."

Also Astrophel can mean "an unidentified plant, commonly believed to be akin to an aster"

Perhaps "Spiralling Stars" & "alien dragon" are linked/substitution?? Draco constellation??

Need more coffee!!! I feel as though I'm missing something here!
Yes - this is old ground, we’ve been here previously. I do likewise agree the two are somehow intertwined.

Last edited:
Just looking at a system that @Emperor brought up some time ago, another ‘mountain’ system and just realised it has an interesting locational relationship.

Mount Penglai, or 'Penglai Immortal Island' is a legendary land in Chinese mythology.

It’s linked to various stories but the one which grabbed my attention was of Urashima Tarō and the folklore story of the Princess Otohime, the 2nd daughter of the dragon king. Otohime is also in game, located far below on the outskirts of the wider Lost Realms zone.

This story is a parallel version of the story Toyotama-hime, it’s of interest because Michael Brookes wrote a Drabble about it.

Penglai is of interest because it’s right in the middle of the Greek Fates and the North Norns! no other mountain systems I’ve found to date are so centralised.

The location in mythology is another atypical example of an ‘Otherworld’ and likewise could only be found after travelling via water, it is also home to the concept of the elixir of life. I’m pondering, if its presence in game is intended to be a substitute, given its similarity to the plant of immortality in Gilgamesh as it is not too far from the system Shamash.

Another interesting aspect, is that some sources attribute it with compass points with Penglai as an East Paradise, and likewise the Kunlun Mountain as the West Paradise.

Considering the Greek compass, when seen in comparison I feel this may have been incorporated in game. But other than all these I wondered why it was placed up so high, rather than with the other ‘Otherworlds’ and I feel ultimately, that it’s another example of a system denoting the boundaries of the Empyrean.

Other than that, it is rather a dull system on its own.

Post in thread 'The Quest To Find Raxxla'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-10302521

Last edited:
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those... moments... will be lost in time, like... tears... in rain".

In game there is the system Aztlan, notably this is the home for the Orbis Starport ‘Tannhauser Gate’, a reference to the film Bladerunner.

I’ve long known of this system, but generally accepted it as an Easter egg, Michael Brookes did confirm he was a Blade Runner fan. But aside from being an obvious Easter egg the location has a number of other potential oddities which when considered in comparison with various other information I’ve uncovered, advocates it was placed with greater significance.

Aztlan, has been identified by @Emperor and @GURU-951 as significant; it is the name for a lost Aztec city system and is right in the middle of the Lost Realms zone, in fact it is located directly below the system’s named after the Greek Underworld, and in this respect I believe it is highly likely another example of a Lost Realm.

The term Tannhauser Gate was supposedly in the original draft of the Bladerunner film script added by the screenwriter David People’s in 1981.

Although never confirmed it’s possible at the time this was a reference to German folklore, either about the 1845 opera by Richard Wagner; a knight named Tannhäuser or the tale of the Wartburg Song Contest, of which both form the basis for the opera.

Amongst many aspects, in regards to the ED game, one of these source stories revolves about a knight, who goes on a journey to the pagan underworld to find the fairy kingdom, where he must pass huge iron doors named ‘the gate’.

Given the location of Aztlan in game I believe Brookes directly utilised this, as another clever reference to the concept of the ‘Otherworld’, but also drawing the concepts of the ‘Underworld’ together which is represented in similar aspects in other folklore; equally of the myth of some hero who must pass through or under some barrier to obtain access to the fairy-world this ‘Otherworld’.

Again I believe this is another example of Brookes seeding the game with obscure references and clues to advertise his wider cosmology.

I have long suspected that the toast itself was constructed to emulate Roy Batty’s last words as the codex’s pictorial aspects do hold a visual similarity, albeit Brookes in the Codex is I believe, identifying what FD later referenced, the pendant jewel hanging from the heavens. I don’t believe this is any direct Bladerunner clue, just more a case of artistry and homage.

Last edited:
Player-named, and not founded until July 3303, so definitely not related.

Its my understanding that “Carcosa” wasnt player named and the “Nameless” isnt a player group. Is that so? I know you put some effort into cataloging Colonia.

@Rochester It could fall into the “tribute” type of system as well - also a fictional lost world, though is not in the bubble. But of course it was related to Lovecraft and earlier authors… and the Yellow King….

Three points of the codex potentially found?

"To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies! To the whisperer in witch-space, the siren of the deepest void! The parent's grief, the lover's woe, and the yearning of our vagabond hearts. To Raxxla!"

Today I have been reflecting upon the toast again, and trying to ignore various assumptions of my own, in an attempt to bypass bias and look at the text afresh, following this I plotted these locations and found an interesting hypothetical correlation.

Firstly I began with the core theory that some but not necessarily all, of the toast might allude to the points of hexagon, which might be graphically represented in the Raxxla codex logo.

Mathematically speaking to understand the dimensions of any shape you don’t actually need to know every point. So logically if the hexagon theory was correct, you don’t need to understand the entirety of toast to actually unlock it, nor in any particular order.

Speculatively I presume the codex holds a huge amount of metaphorical; allegorical; literary and literal clues. I don’t presume it has any explicit overarching context as I presume there are degrees of abstraction.

My ideas herein then are themselves abstract, and speculative. But based upon initially logical assessment and the interpretation of spatial relationships.

First off the first and last segments of the toast I believe identifies ‘what’ Raxxla is but also vaguely where:

To the jewel that burns on the brow of the mother of galaxies = John Milton’s representation of our universe as pendant globe, hanging from the brow (high inclined hill) of heaven, the Empyrean.

The yearning of our vagabond hearts = Satans was a wanderer and sought the location of the pendant globe.

The remaining text may be interpreted as either further metaphors for the above or one might assume they are given coordinates for a specific location.

There is no definitive method the assess this, however I do presume the Miltonian Cosmological Model to be correct, if so then we ought to be looking for a location somewhere between the Empyrean and the zone of Chaos.
  • The parent's grief = Demeter
  • The lover's woe = Eulexia
  • The whisperer in witch-space = Nefertem
Potential candidate
  • Siren of the deepest void = Siren
Demeter is an obvious one, for parent’s grief, simply because I’ve long interpreted the codex alludes to it via the term ‘Cora comes home’, this as we have assessed previously is a reference to the myth of Demeter and Persephone.

This I feel is further established due to the line of sight between these systems, aligning with another set of systems Fall and Pandemonium, a physical clue to the journey of Satan from the Empyrean to Hell.

Eulexia holds the body, Eurydice, whose mythology is one of the most historically popular examples of romantic loss. She was an oak nymph who was attacked and killed by a snake. Her husband Orpheus, descended to the Underworld to claim her back from Hades and Persephone.

Nefertem is the system that holds the genship Thetis, which drove everyone mad due to a mysterious transmission or ‘whisper’.

Siren, I am including - for now, but potentially without further evidence it remains on the strong maybe pile.

phonto.jpeg

Observations
In game importantly all of these systems all seem to align upon the same y/z plain, advocating a flat 2D shape?

Because these 3 systems fall within a 2 dimensional alignment, they form a speculative set of triangles, which allows for the calculation of a midpoint, and thus from these, we can extrapolate a centroid for a hypothetical hexagon.

Note, I’ve come to speculate through observation, that certain mysteries have been set in game using triangulation, but the author has either been very clever and omitted the use of exact geometry or may have repurposed existing locations - so as to avoid visual detection, I accept this theory itself is equally presumptuous and potentially biased - but let’s just go with this abstraction for the sake of having some fun with math.

This general area in actuality situated within that zone which I have previously assessed to being upon the outer rim of the zone of Milton’s Chaos, close to the hypothetical Empyrean North West area and directly underneath Sheela na gig and the Morrigan’s.

IMG_9768.jpeg

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-10337471

Assumptions
With the hypothetical centroid of the hexagon established I attempted to identify systems in this general area, again as explained above I don’t believe this is an precise map, and likely any such system probably is not at the centre nor that any angles of the hypothetical hexagon are mathematically equal.

To try and look for further supporting evidence I began to overlay various maps I have developed previously for this area and found some surprising information.

phonto.jpeg

The centroid of the Morrigan systems and Axis Mundi does fall relatively through this new locality!

These Morrigans sisters were a tri-party goddess linked to the The Tuatha Dé Danann, this mythological is important as it describes a realm of the fairy-folk, another ‘Otherworld’.

Within this centroid a whole bunch of interesting systems seem to be focused

Firstly there is the system Bohmshohm, which has the bodies Epirus and of Kailash.

Epirus historically was the home of the Dodona, the oldest oracle in Ancient Greece second only to that of Delphi! Its literal translation is ‘terra firma’.

The Dodona is the oracle of the Dead on the Acheron River, familiar to the hero’s of Homers Odyssey, where Achilles prayed in the Lilad, it was also the oracle depicted in Philip Sidney ‘Arcadia’.

Kailash could be attributed to ‘mount Kailash’ the home of Lord Shiva and the navel of the universe. This is one of the systems I identify as being part of my Mountains hypothesis.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-10210796

What I find interesting is - if we draw a line of site between Bohmshohm and Axis Mundi, it intersects the triangle of the upper traid goddesses of the Morrigan, it also aligns far below with god Cernunnos!

Cernunnos is recognised in many modern neopagan religions as a god of nature, or of life, death, and rebirth. This I find intriguing because in Holdstock’s Ragthorn where he applied the same tripartite god theme, to hide a mystical secret, except he turned them into ‘male’ gods!

Is this a coincidence or simply projective bias?

phonto.jpeg

Just off this are is the system Fortuna a system I believe was intended to be part of the ‘architecture’ for the DW missions as it is directly referenced in game as part of the trinkets of hidden fortune.

Likewise of three potential counterparts to Fortuna, one might be Wyrd, interestingly this system falls between Demeter and Nefertem, and interesting another Tyche is relatively not too far from Nefertem in respect of triangulation.

phonto.jpeg

Close to this hypothetical hexagonal centroid is Zephyrus, the Greek god of the West wind.

In this area is also Aeolus, likewise aligned upon the same y/z plain.

Aeolus was the ruler of the winds who gave Odysseus a bag with all the winds, except the West wind; he lived on the mythical, idyllic island paradise, a floating island called Aeolia (not in game).

Right next to it also is the system Yoruba, the West Africa creation myth!

Of interest
Likewise in this area there is also a system named Ambisagrus, a deity associated with Jupiter, and the system Kitae, which has the gen-ship Venusian which was attacked by pirates!

And then there is Albina which technically is at the mathematical centre of this hexagon, and again aligns upon the same y/z plain!

Within Greek myth Albina was exiled to a mysterious uninhabited island, then seduced by a demon and later gave birth to a race of giants!

All very interesting!

I don’t propose that this is the exact centroid and it holds Raxxka, but I do propose this hypothetically might go some way towards answering the toast, and that this is the general area where Raxxla might be, at best the centroid is inaccurate and I believe elsewhere closer in alignment with Sheela na gig… but it’s somewhere to start.

Again the close association with the Morrigan’s and their relationship with Starship One, an assumption may identify that this general area denotes the West wall of Empyrean.

Hypothetically it’s plausible to now calculate the other points of the hexagon, but I suspect they probably don’t exist and so might not actually be necessary?

Nevertheless it’s something I will be exploring, in as much to prove this hypothesis wrong if anything else!

Based upon an initial abstract extrapolation of the first 3 systems and the centroid, potential candidates might be any named systems within 2 spheres of influence around:
Lyncis Sector FG-Y d93 and LTT 10533.

At the midpoint of these two hypothetical systems is the Norse named system Jotnar, it like the other systems aligns upon the same y/z plain, advocating a flat 2D shape?

Jotnar is associated with the realm of the ‘other’ also known as Mount Jotnar which was described as sitting on the edge of heaven.

This is one location for the Norse god Heimdall (not in game), who lived in Himinbjǫrg "heaven's castle" and he guarded the Bifrost (in Alioth), he was described as ‘having the finest mead’.

Also the somewhat outside this area - but again upon the same y/z plain is the system Biforst. I suspect this does indicate a northern aspect of the heavens!

Assumption *edited

In the Image below I’ve shown the locations of these two hypothetical points, but also drawn a line between Jotnar and Fall for context.

Satan in Paradise Lost was cast out and fell from the North wall, so the system Fall may align with the Greek compass in game as being to the North.

My assumption being, these two locations outline this wall / edge of heaven, and that the Morrigans etc denote the boundary of the Empyrean.

Considering John Milton’s Paradise Lost the pendant globe - Raxxla, ought to be someplace below either the West wall or the East wall - depending upon which interpretation you have read.

phonto.jpeg

* Animation with the path of Starship One overlaid for context. Within that storyline the survivor stated they saw a ‘bright place’ this might be a clue towards the ‘Empyrean’ which was pure light?

Conclusion
I feel this period of tin-foiling is probably inconclusive, but may have helped establish the boundaries of the West and North points of the Empyrean.

GMP_U2F2ZUdIMDE=.gif

phonto.jpeg

Last edited:
Myself and few others have verified that this is not just a graphical issue, or if it is, it can be repeated by anyone, even in Horizons.

These shots were taken from one of the stars in Orion's Belt, Mintaka.
So, what are we looking at and how is it achieved?

This "door" or whatever ya wanna call it is found hidden in the Horsehead Dark Nebula, which is basically as close to Barnard's Loop and it's permit lock as you can get.

So how?
Step 1. Supercruise to the black hole in Mintaka and get as close as it will allow (til SC drop). Now center the black hole directly over Horsehead Dark Nebula, as close to center as possible.
Step 2. Now, flip your ship 180 degrees and fly away (in normal flight, not Supercruise) from the black hole while maintaining its alignment over Horsehead Dark Nebula as much as possible. Maintain this alignment during the entirety of all three steps.
Step 3. At a certain distance, a few minutes of flight time flying away from the black hole (in normal flight, not supercruise), when you strafe your ship left or right, this door/panel will appear.

DM me if the links/gifs aren't embedding properly, or visit my Imgur profile. https://imgur.com/user/CMDRGURU951

1st.
2nd.
3rd.
Any questions?

Last edited:
Need verify that it's an object that is separate to the nebula and not just a texture warping artefact.

However, you do bring up a cool aspect of intense gravitational fields - gravity lensing 😁 🔎
Would be cool if it can be used in creative ways to zoom in to locked sectors.

Myself and few others have verified that this is not just a graphical issue, or if it is, it can be repeated by anyone, even in Horizons.

These shots were taken from one of the stars in Orion's Belt, Mintaka.
So, what are we looking at and how is it achieved?

This "door" or whatever ya wanna call it is found hidden in the Horsehead Dark Nebula, which is basically as close to Barnard's Loop and it's permit lock as you can get.

So how?
Step 1. Supercruise to the black hole in Mintaka and get as close as it will allow (til SC drop). Now center the black hole directly over Horsehead Dark Nebula, as close to center as possible.
Step 2. Now, flip your ship 180 degrees and fly away (in normal flight, not Supercruise) from the black hole while maintaining its alignment over Horsehead Dark Nebula as much as possible. Maintain this alignment during the entirety of all three steps.
Step 3. At a certain distance, a few minutes of flight time flying away from the black hole (in normal flight, not supercruise), when you strafe your ship left or right, this door/panel will appear.

DM me if the links/gifs aren't embedding properly, or visit my Imgur profile. https://imgur.com/user/CMDRGURU951

1st.
2nd.
3rd.
Any questions?
I think you may be on something given the hint at Maia B blackhole and Halsey's vision and heavenly glow. The glow is linked directly to blackholes. Somehow we are supposed to use these to do something important.

TB0061 Maia B Blackhole.png

Halsey's Vision_optimized_optimized.jpg

Top Bottom