Locating the passage that noted Cedars encircled Eden. Book 5: Paradise Lost - details the journey of Raphael from heaven to Eden..but doesn’t ever advocate any numbers to trees..but it’s the text I recalled, which identified Eden with being crown on all hills (encircled) by cedars…

with cedars crowned. Above all hills’.

This passage describes Raphael as a seraphim, who have six wings… not sure if the number six has any specific relevance here.

Again the garden design, if accurate ; it may only be utilising abstract metaphors to convey a theologic concept and ascribe meaning to the circles, eg this represents Eden… they might not mean any more than that, can’t say for sure?!

View attachment 387684
Well then, clearly he was a Guardian (definitely focussed on 6-fold symetry!); Thargoids have a prediction for 8-fold symetry! 😱

Han_Zen's theory proven? 😁

Last edited:
New thoughts on the Raxxla logo.

*edited: Doing some image searching before morning tea, as I tend not to be limited by logic during this period and happened upon the 2021 game ‘Paradise Lost’. It wasn’t of note to me due to its title, more so its logo which is a reflection upon that games core storyline, namely that of the Slavic world tree, depicted as the Cyrillic letter "zhizn" (life) "Ж"; and it obviously brought me back to thinking of the similar design from the Raxxla logo.

This tree is similar to Yggdrasil but not technically this same. I was reminded more of Brookes commissions of artworks from Luciana Nedelea, and wondered if a lot of Brookes Celtic influences originated from Slavic origin?

IMG_9717.jpeg

I quickly searched the deities behind this Slavic culture and have only found a handful in game. Notably they are in the correct locations in connection to my cosmology and Yggdrasil systems, eg the higher gods being in the upper hemisphere and likewise those in the underworld. I noted how they fell within the confines of the Yggdrasil systems, but alone didn’t make any particular tree pattern, so just accepted them as another example of deities within the wider cosmological model.

I then looked at the entirety of the model from the perspective of Perun - the Slavic equivalent of Zeus / Thor, as a thunder/lightning god, that resided in a citadel on the top of the highest branch of the World Tree; and thought, what if the Raxxla logo isn’t showing us ‘where’ it is, but just ‘what’ it is? No other logos in game are maps - correct? So why ought this one?

So I then got to thinking again about Milton’s Paradise Lost and the in game garden design, and how it may likely be showing us that Raxxla exists in a Miltonian model, and of The Lost Realms which are examples of lost Edens, according to Holdstock etc and just imagined what if the logo simply means Raxxla is Eden. This has always been my interpretation but in context to the logo, maybe that all it just is… and nothing more?

The tree design in the logo could simply be a reference to one of the two trees in Eden, maybe it doesn’t show us the way, maybe it’s just a graphical coded clue to look for Milton’s Eden, like the garden design might, or Holdstock’s realms?

In Milton’s Paradise Lost everything in the cosmos is oriented by the visual point of view of god, North is that deities field of vision, their left and right hands, East and West; south is both below and behind him.

From the potential viewpoint from the top of Yggdrasil - if you accept the Greek compass in game as true and look North and West then it begins to look logical and ties in I believe with this Miltonian point of view.

I don’t think this helps in any new way, but I’m just wondering if the six points of trees in the garden design, and likewise the 6 branches in the logo, just identify ‘the tree of life/knowledge), that’s all. Before all this logo and the Codex, no one thought of Raxxla as a potential Miltonian Eden…

Maybe it’s just an identifier. Raxxla is Eden (metaphorically).

I think we’re really close.

Again it’s little things like this that I really love about this mystery, and how much of this is probably not all solely the work of Brookes; it reminds me of what @Allen Stroud wrote about in regards to the methodology of myth making, in ‘Worlds Apart: Worldbuilding in Fantasy and Science Fiction’:

To utilise the absence of things, to engage the reader’s imagination, and encourage speculative engagement.

Some aspects of this, may never have been designed intentionally, and although gargantuan it may not be so expansive. In some cases we’re just naturally filling in the blanks. If that was by intent then it’s goes to show the genius behind this mystery.

Such a puzzle has become troublesome to unpack because I believe its original framework has been shifted, we know the narrative was edited; that dead-ends are promoted as true, but also influence from outside the game leaves it open to counterintelligence.

It still hold that a lot of this is probably archeological, and maybe, that is more impressive than the intended goal.

Post in thread 'The Quest To Find Raxxla'
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-quest-to-find-raxxla.168253/post-10337471

Last edited:
I've given you a like for that but there is something missing-can you show the logo with your annotation of your interpretation? I don't see any tree in it 🤔🤔

I agree it is probably not a map (we've tried that hypothesis in various ways) but is therefore likely the destination of this treasure hunt. To me it represents a dodecahedral station....I suspect those were originally modelled on a Guardian ark ship that was discovered early in space flight history but kept hidden. I think that's named RAXXLA. The codex says it's been circulating (i.e. orbiting) for centuries 🙂

I've given you a like for that but there is something missing-can you show the logo with your annotation of your interpretation? I don't see any tree in it 🤔🤔

I agree it is probably not a map (we've tried that hypothesis in various ways) but is therefore likely the destination of this treasure hunt. To me it represents a dodecahedral station....I suspect those were originally modelled on a Guardian ark ship that was discovered early in space flight history but kept hidden. I think that's named RAXXLA. The codex says it's been circulating (i.e. orbiting) for centuries 🙂
Ah thanks for the update, that makes it clear.
Your interpretation of the logo "asterisk" is interesting, hadn't thought about the cyrillic letter, which is "zh", it may well be relevant!
The Founder's World name "Shinrarta Dehzra" came from "In life she saw hope"...I've always thought that implies SD & PF were founded by a female Guardian exile who probably arrived in one of their ark ships (named "Raxxla") and I suspect it was she who left the Mars Artefact (which may have in turn led to the human discovery of Raxxla).
(Edit: it might be an AI by now, since I think she is still controlling the PF after millennia! And she may be named "Raxxla" rather than the ship
Edit2: why do I always want to start singing Frankie goes to Hollywood's "Relax" when I say that??)

From my notes: Named circa 2013 by Liqua ( Cmdr Aewarin Jameson)/Ughkoff ... it’s an amalgamation of Russian and Arabic: Russian (zhizn' [жизнь] meaning "Life") Arabic (ra'at [رات] meaning "she saw") Russian (nadezhda [надежда] meaning "Hope")

There seems to have been some initial secrecy over the naming!!

Last edited:
Ah thanks for the update, that makes it clear.
Your interpretation of the logo "asterisk" is interesting, hadn't thought about the cyrillic letter, which is "zh", it may well be relevant!
The Founder's World name "Shinrarta Dehzra" came from "In life she saw hope"...I've always thought that implies SD & PF were founded by a female Guardian exile who probably arrived in one of their ark ships (named "Raxxla") and I suspect it was she who left the Mars Artefact (which may have in turn led to the human discovery of Raxxla).

From my notes: Named circa 2013 by Liqua ( Cmdr Aewarin Jameson)/Ughkoff ... it’s an amalgamation of Russian and Arabic: Russian (zhizn' [жизнь] meaning "Life") Arabic (ra'at [رات] meaning "she saw") Russian (nadezhda [надежда] meaning "Hope")

There seems to have been some initial secrecy over the naming!!

Yes an odd coincidence? One has to ask where is art imitating life or life imitating art here, how much of this is just a harmonious accident of likeminded persons building something subconsciously; totally random; or FD cherry picking.?

I've recently realised that this thread's title is exactly what it's about. I had assumed that the quest for Raxxla was about finding Raxxla, but after years of reading and participating on this thread I'm pretty sure this thread is about the Quest, and continuing the Quest, rather than actually about finding Raxxla and solving the mystery.

I'm not having a go, or saying that the many of you who post here regularly or occasionally are in any way wrong for wanting the Quest to continue indefiintely, just that it's not what I had been assuming.

Have fun in your Questing :)

*Note: Cat-on-keyboard incident caused the premature posting, hence the edit-finish :)

I've recently realised that this thread's title is exactly what it's about. I had assumed that the quest for Raxxla was about finding Raxxla, but after years of reading and participating on this thread I'm pretty sure this thread is about the Quest, and continuing the Quest, rather than actually about finding Raxxla and solving the mystery.

I'm not having a go, or saying that the many of you who post here regularly or occasionally are in any way wrong for wanting the Quest to continue indefiintely, just that it's not what I had been assuming.

*Note: Cat-on-keyboard incident caused the premature posting, hence the edit-finish :)
Not sure anyone providing input here is not trying to find Raxxla...? But conclusively knowing what it is, is the hardest part?

Unless of course it's actually a MacGuffin :ROFLMAO:

Yes an odd coincidence? One has to ask where is art imitating life or life imitating art here, how much of this is just a harmonious accident of likeminded persons building something subconsciously; totally random; or FD cherry picking.?
IMHO unlikely to be a coincidence -rule 39!! (https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...QQFnoECAkQAw&usg=AOvVaw28KLvWHY3Ur0Qb3HeYnwgZ)

It could well explain the early secrecy over the derivation of the Shin Dez name, and perhaps why my post on it was deleted, and MB's Dev Diary 1 at 10:22 where he said that FD might start to release more info on the Mars alien artefact....something which never seems to have happened!! ... it's all part & parcel of the Raxxla mystery. I suspect FD Commercial Dept (minor faction aka The Club! 😁) decided complete silence on anything related to Raxxla was a very good marketing ploy! (& perhaps the underlying reason why MB moved jobs)

Not sure anyone providing input here is not trying to find Raxxla...? But conclusively knowing what it is, is the hardest part?

Unless of course it's actually a MacGuffin :ROFLMAO:
No no no!
MacGuffins come from a little glen in darkest Scotland, anything related to Raxxla originated in Gamma Velorum!!!
😉😁😁

Edit
DB confirmed (with apparent glee/mirth) that we don't know what it is!
Which does make the search a little difficult
Especially since we don't know where to look either!
(Though I have a promising hypothesis to test........)

Last edited:

To a degree thats likely correct.

The problem with the quest generally is it started out as a serious process to understand a real puzzle in game, which many actually dismissed as being ‘narrative’ and ergo gated.

But then FD seemingly broke that puzzle, and failed to publicly communicate this to the player base - to this date - possibly because it was narrative all along?

This naturally leaves the area open to speculative investigation, due to the presence of a significant intelligence gap, various levels of gossip and actual misleading information.

It’s true there likely are Cmdrs who enjoy the quest simply as a fruitless endeavour, considering the actual emptiness in game - and that’s OK - as it’s likely more inline with the narrative structure of the game.

But there are others who are serious and who have been successful in turning the objective back into a constructive endeavour, and would even highlight that - given what information we do have - there always will exist an equal level of probability it’s all for nothing, but continue to engage, considering the actual emptiness in game.

Sadly much of the quest is in my experience probably archaeological, due to the absence of information, or more likely the omission of validity and the existing potential it’s still narrative; half of the problem is not being able to assess what is a clue and what isn’t, or likewise what’s gated behind a narrative, or a dead-end.

You’ve highlighted a common danger in investigative practice, of falling in love with the data and the process of analysis; this is a form of scholarly bias, and a very real thing…

Personally I’m serious about finding Raxxla, but I likely won’t be the one who finds it… I take great solace however in knowing my work may have led to its discovery, and more so, in potentially uncovering something bigger - if it is narrative, then there’s a likelihood we hold more information than we know, or that FD has to re-align their narrative to suit (doubtful).

But this is also role-play, on a day-today level this quest ties me to the game, it gives me a reason to explore. Thargoids, materials, engineering and FD gated approach to narrative, doesn’t interest me, I bought the game for its exploration aspect and the nostalgia, the quest may actually be the best part of this game, I do wonder how much of it is actually player generated.

Last edited:
Power Play 2 refresh stream, FD drop a little aside remark, on how the new galaxy map filter may highlight certain things Cmdrs may not have seen before? It’s likely not relevant, but let’s theories anyway…

Currently the PP map shows points of influence with a zone bubble around it. This doesn’t really show us visually any granular level what ‘isn’t’ or may be ‘omitted’ - it can with some playing but from a wider perspective - things aren’t overly evident.

Mapping certain data can become more insightful, when we can visualise the actual intelligence gaps.

This goes back to one of my earliest theories, and is somewhat similar to what I currently do in game within my own mapping. I’m interested in as much of what isn’t shown, as much as to what is evident.

I do wonder if certain ‘mysteries’ might become more evident by their absence in the new PP map than was previously?

I’m generally reminded of an earlier FD dev video where the designers of the gal map mentioned how the intention was to restrict what Cmdrs could see and do so as to really make them think and that they intentionally made the map that way to make it difficult to use.

Likewise how FD generally don’t like us seeing BGS or Stella Forge data. From a gaming perspective this would be a huge benefit to the game, thats tonnes of cool data we simply don’t get to see. I speculate that it’s likely that too much information will evidently highlight a great deal behind the scenes and likely a great deal about narrative aspects of the game… we hope and wait.

Last edited:
Yep, to understand the spatial relationships of your Milton Cosmology theory (& other uses, e.g. marking different exploration features etc) it would be really helpful to be able to assign user-selectable different coloured bookmarks! Never understood why they didn't implement that- a vid where they said they wanted to make it hard to use??? Pah! 🤬

Last edited:
O7 all, been a LONG time since I’ve posted here or even been in game. Like, just prior to Odyssey long time.
Anywho, back when this all started Brooks was quite heavily involved in the story aspect of the game and he was privy to Raxxla. It’s been gone over a billion times I know but he was a really big Lovecraft fan. I haven’t read it in great detail as of yet, more of a quick skim through, but there is “the whisperer in darkness” by lovecraft. Basically a story about a guy who didn’t believe in aliens but was coaxed into meeting with a guy who claimed to have proof there really were aliens. In meeting with him he finds out he plans on meeting with the aliens by letting them keep his brain alive in a jar and taking him out to their meeting place around Pluto. There was already one such brain in a jar in the guys house that could talk to him via an attached speaker, but sounded buzzy and whisper like. He tries to convince the main character to join him in this quest. Going back to meet the guy he finds out that it was an alien disguised as the guy and the brain in the jar was the guy he thought he was meeting.
Anywho, I have to wonder if the whisperer in witchspace is any relation to the story and if perhaps there might be some random encounter or audio to be found around Pluto or Charon etc. could be worse than that I suppose, could be any of the minor planets or Persephone for that matter.
Also, wonder if there is any item to take along as an analogue of the jar.

O7 all, been a LONG time since I’ve posted here or even been in game. Like, just prior to Odyssey long time.
Anywho, back when this all started Brooks was quite heavily involved in the story aspect of the game and he was privy to Raxxla. It’s been gone over a billion times I know but he was a really big Lovecraft fan. I haven’t read it in great detail as of yet, more of a quick skim through, but there is “the whisperer in darkness” by lovecraft. Basically a story about a guy who didn’t believe in aliens but was coaxed into meeting with a guy who claimed to have proof there really were aliens. In meeting with him he finds out he plans on meeting with the aliens by letting them keep his brain alive in a jar and taking him out to their meeting place around Pluto. There was already one such brain in a jar in the guys house that could talk to him via an attached speaker, but sounded buzzy and whisper like. He tries to convince the main character to join him in this quest. Going back to meet the guy he finds out that it was an alien disguised as the guy and the brain in the jar was the guy he thought he was meeting.
Anywho, I have to wonder if the whisperer in witchspace is any relation to the story and if perhaps there might be some random encounter or audio to be found around Pluto or Charon etc. could be worse than that I suppose, could be any of the minor planets or Persephone for that matter.
Also, wonder if there is any item to take along as an analogue of the jar.
A black box could be an analogue to a brain in a jar.

Again this is a good insight into an aspect no one seemingly has really investigated in depth. It might seem, given how physical the links to Milton and Holdstock are in game, any Lovecraft link might be absent.

However, in game I believe Lovecraft has been the primary inspiration behind the Far God cult which itself identifies a link to Brookes ‘space in between’ storylines, the Guardians (beings of light (angels), the Thargoids (demons). Likewise the setting generally has included the Pleiades.

Although not so directly evident, Lovecraft was influenced by classical antiquity as it served as setting in some of his earlier work and his trademark atmosphere of terrifying sublimity may hold similarities with Milton, so I can appreciate how Brookes drew inspiration. From the classical viewpoint of the influence of the concept of the ‘Otherworld’ aka the Arcadian ideal. But generally in game I suspect his influence was upon Brookes writing style rather than any specific set of locations.

But I admit to being ignorant of Lovecraft generally. Although I appreciate his ‘otherworldly’ influence, I am not such a fan of his world politics, nor so his writing style which is pulpy to say the least.

All of the Gen ships logs etc or ‘The Missing’ all have a strong Lovecraft feel, and then we have the Pleiades, whose stars have been utilised by Lovecraft directly as locations for certain creatures. So I do wonder if his influence in game is broadly evident.

I have been logging locations of Gen ships and Brookes Drabbles etc since very early on, and I do feel that although these singularly don’t have any relation, I feel as a whole, they do point some of the way.

There is a series of systems named after deities Brookes wrote Drabbles about, these are all in locations close to the narrative I’ve mapped out. I don’t think they are directional markers but they certainly might have some general association, and may have been incorporated by Brookes as an impish attempt to draw attention to certain areas.

In addition some of the Lost Realms have a tenuous link to ‘fringe’ systems via mythology, if viewed collectively as with the Mealstroms, they do all seam to have a line of sight with the Pleiades.

But given the vast distances such a link cannot I presume, be confirmed solidly, I do believe however it’s a wider narrative device, likely archaeological in nature where I suspect Raxxla was linked to the Guardian / Thargoid narratives directly, via some side narrative /easter egg, but since binned.

*edited: a quick mapping of the Far God storyline, and to my eyes it generally looks to temporarily revolve around the ‘general’ area of the Thetis, the Chaos area, then resolves into an area associated with the path of Jacques and then the ‘Hell’ area of the Lost Realms…

But thats only interpretative speculation; so although not directly associated, one might presume the Far God story may have hinted towards certain areas of our current interest… but who knows!

I get the general impression throughout my investigations that Brookes or FD has tied certain narratives around this architecture; but equally this could be visual bias on my part or totally bunkum…

Happy Ēostre!

Source: https://youtu.be/glzYdm7of_E?si=pfWoHU7vAoDnhUl3

Last edited:
Again this is a good insight into an aspect no one seemingly has really investigated in depth. It might seem, given how physical the links to Milton and Holdstock are in game, any Lovecraft link might be absent.

However, in game I believe Lovecraft has been the primary inspiration behind the Far God cult which itself identifies a link to Brookes ‘space in between’ storylines, the Guardians (beings of light (angels), the Thargoids (demons). Likewise the setting generally has included the Pleiades.

Although not so directly evident, Lovecraft was influenced by classical antiquity as it served as setting in some of his earlier work and his trademark atmosphere of terrifying sublimity may hold similarities with Milton, so I can appreciate how Brookes drew inspiration. From the classical viewpoint of the influence of the concept of the ‘Otherworld’ aka the Arcadian ideal. But generally in game I suspect his influence was upon Brookes writing style rather than any specific set of locations.

But I admit to being ignorant of Lovecraft generally. Although I appreciate his ‘otherworldly’ influence, I am not such a fan of his world politics, nor so his writing style which is pulpy to say the least.

All of the Gen ships logs etc or ‘The Missing’ all have a strong Lovecraft feel, and then we have the Pleiades, whose stars have been utilised by Lovecraft directly as locations for certain creatures. So I do wonder if his influence in game is broadly evident.

I have been logging locations of Gen ships and Brookes Drabbles etc since very early on, and I do feel that although these singularly don’t have any relation, I feel as a whole, they do point some of the way.

There is a series of systems named after deities Brookes wrote Drabbles about, these are all in locations close to the narrative I’ve mapped out. I don’t think they are directional markers but they certainly might have some general association, and may have been incorporated by Brookes as an impish attempt to draw attention to certain areas.

In addition some of the Lost Realms have a tenuous link to ‘fringe’ systems via mythology, if viewed collectively as with the Mealstroms, they do all seam to have a line of sight with the Pleiades.

But given the vast distances such a link cannot I presume, be confirmed solidly, I do believe however it’s a wider narrative device, likely archaeological in nature where I suspect Raxxla was linked to the Guardian / Thargoid narratives directly, via some side narrative /easter egg, but since binned.

Happy Ēostre!

Source: https://youtu.be/glzYdm7of_E?si=pfWoHU7vAoDnhUl3
I think MB's back tattoo hints at the Quest for Raxxla, depicting travel past various myths, gods, angels, Miltonian cosmology & Lovecraftian monsters, Yggdrasil etc etc. I now don't think it offers direct clues, just flavour...ending up at the gates to Paradise.

I'm wondering, since he spent so much effort inserting Paradise Lost's Miltonian cosmology into the ED galaxy, whether we should take another look at the sequel Paradise Regained to find our way back to Paradise/Raxxla.

Top Bottom