So: Tinfoil time...

While I was on it I thought whether Atlantis, El Dorado und John Presbyter might actually be hints. Atlantis of course is easy to find (for reasons unknown it's underlayed with a green treiangle on my Galmap - Any idea what that means?) El Dorado on the other hand could not be found under the spanish name, but looking for its indigenious name Omagua I found a system going by that name so I think it's safe to say both Atlantis and El Dorado are in the game. Concerning John Presbyter I have currently no idea what to look for.

Further than I got with this so nice one :) I did wonder the same, I'm British and have never heard of the John fella so was wondering if that was a clue, the other 2 are very well known as are others that could be used instead but then I read too much into anything sometimes...3 systems by definition would form a triangle with a mid-point (or maybe 4 if you read above, its over my head)

It was Prester John, was it not?

I am German so please forgive any incomgruities. In German it‘s Priesterkönig Johannes. Translation would be Presterking John or something like that. The problem I have with that part is that his kingdom never got a name. So finding Eldorado and Atlantis was fairly easy, but that part? Are we to look for Ekbatana, India, Bactria, Ethiopia?

I am German so please forgive any incomgruities. In German it‘s Priesterkönig Johannes. Translation would be Presterking John or something like that. The problem I have with that part is that his kingdom never got a name. So finding Eldorado and Atlantis was fairly easy, but that part? Are we to look for Ekbatana, India, Bactria, Ethiopia?

IIRC, he was hinted at the end of "Marco Polo" season 2 somewhere halfway on the Silky Road.So, Ekbatana or Bactria.
But he also appeared in popular culture as a character connected with Nordic mythology.

Last edited:
IIRC, he was hinted at the end of "Marco Polo" season 2 somewhere halfway on the Silky Road.So, Ekbatana or Bactria.
But he also appeared in popular culture as a character connected with Nordic mythology.

Hm rethinking on that: Presterking John is actually a fraud as hystory knows. The bishop of Edessa made the story up to start another crusade.

Atlanis and Eldorado are real myths. So simply forget about John?

To me Eldorado, Atlantis and Prestyr John are ideas of mythical places in our culture. The names arent the important part it is what they stand for. Reminds me there is a good book "the edges of the earth in ancient thought" talks a bit about thse things.

Yes. People have been talking about how the second initiative was better, because of the good story!?!?
Hi CMDRs, please go and **** off the thargoids so we can have a big battle. The end. 🤔 Maybe I expect to much, but where exactly was the good story?

Edit - Having the 1st round as go hand in exploration data, that will keep the explorers happy didn't quite cut it for me.

Again....maybe my expectations are unrealistic.

Edit 2 - what would have made it more interesting is if you had a pacifist faction you could donate the exploration data too, who would have blocked aegis. Then, at least, player actions would have GENUINELY influenced the path of the initiative. As it was, what was going to happen was going to happen. Any suggestion that commanders influenced it is lip service
I thought the 2nd II’s story was good.

To explain why, a basic principle first - the II isn’t telling a story. We’re not outside of things seeing/being told what’s happening, we’re inside.

So what the 2nd II has had has been:

- a major galactic power starting to act outside of their remit

- short term commercial pressures becoming their major driver instead of good long term strategy

- propaganda and the misleading of the public

- people generally following the propaganda without question

- personal commercial gain trumping considerations of consequences of actions

- player lead opposition to AEGIS in an attempt to manipulate the markets

- player lead attempts to highlight the real nature of what’s going on

- a power misleading people with a fake reward/outcome

- an unpredicted event of real consequence for players (if only temporary)

- some interesting behaviour from the Thargoids

- lots of action

- extension of activities into the interior of a permit locked region and an increase of the human presence therein

Plus consequences which will only emerge over time. (The new Thargoid ship which has just been discovered operating in the vicinity of Palin’s base is the start. Other things will come with time.)

The story will continue as consequences emerge, but the connection is swept under the carpet by the powers that be, and they instead become used as part of the propaganda machine.

Plus ongoing through all of that will be a party the nature of which is completely alien and which will be read into in human ways, with things boxed into human concepts which don’t necessarily apply, with all the misunderstanding, confusion and further consequences that will entail.

Yeah, it’s been good IMHO. I think what I’d re-emphasise is not just to look at it in terms of what happened within the official duration of the II, but what it it all means and will mean in the future.

Just on the pacifist faction thing - I know where you’re coming from and had thought about it way back at the start of the II. The issues with it is:

- it would massively (and artificially) diminish how much power the powers that be actually have

- it would remove the need for people to look at the situation for themselves and prevent any player lead opposition

In other words it’s a can’t have the cake and eat it situation. If we want things to be player influenced in terms of players actually leading and driving (in terms of opposition to the powers that be), then that means not having that lead and driven by FD (by them setting up their own official opposition). Personally I’d rather we have the opportunity to actually be that oppositon, rather than it just being a choice of which FD created party we choose to throw our support behind.

Arguably there’s not much in the way of mechanisms to actually create that opposition in game, but equally that’s arguably just actually an accurate reflection of the nature of the game universe.

Raxxla?

maxresdefault.jpg

Or Atlantis?

What What What!?

I've watched at least 5 separate documentaries where at least 6 different people have found Atlantis in 6 different areas. Are you saying that they were all wrong!?

Seriously though, all myths were made up at some point unless they are based on fact and even that may be inaccurate if no original source. If your grandparent tells you a story you may pass the same story on to your grandchild. You may make up a story that gets passed on as a truth then turned into fact. You may hear about something and make a story up to explain it and pass that on, blending fact and perception and the line gets lost.

Interestingly, original source material is often accurate through 10s if not 100s of generations in verbal heritage cultures. Think about it, verbal words are all you have to record your culture, your gonna be pretty specific about certain things and not exaggerate, its too important for that. Stories are something else and the 2 get confused.

Sometime mid or late last century a group of Westerners visited tribes and groups of hunter gatherer and similar cultures. One they visited was an Innuit tribe, who told a story passed down from their ancestors. It was about a group of Caucasian men who were observed in an ice-bound ship and then seen wandering in the ice generations ago, the Innuit knew they couldn't help them or feed them so had to leave them to die / fend for themselves. The Westerners who heard the story knew it was just a myth and for years it was ignored as just urban myth.

Years later it turns out that of course the story wasn't a story, it was the remnants of the Shackleton Expedition and was a factual account of what happened, passed down through the generations, accurately, verbally.

The victor writes his-story...

Consider that "Fake News" (propaganda) is not a "new" phenomena. There's nothing new under the Sun and considering how difficult and time consuming it still is today to write a comprehensive account of something that was actually observed, do you really think *scribes would have wasted time on a lie?

The lower limit of human population on this planet is stretching back further and further into the past as more and more archaeological discoveries are being made, in some really obscure places. It appears we've been here significantly longer than ~7000 years but most of the evidence has corroded away.

So which is correct? His-story, her-story and do either in any way resemble the truth?

[*Scribes are subject to the golden rule ofc - They who have the gold make the rules]
[Search: "Richat Structure" in west Africa more closely matches Atlantis dimensions]
11897733534_d85e7356b2_b.jpg

Last edited:
Raxxla?

maxresdefault.jpg

Or Atlantis?
Probably niether, but it sure as bio-waste wasn't built by nomadic hunter gatherers. Important to keep in mind about these structures is they show a firm grip on engineering that humans were not supposed to have in the estimated time period and since they can't carbon date rock, they're just guessing at dates.

Further, since a lot of them are precisely orientated to the cardinal directions (NEWS) and many also factor in major star constellations and celestial objects we've only 'officially' learned about in the recent past, there's a possibility humans were significantly smarter thousands of years ago than we are right now.

Some of these ancient structures simply cannot be replicated with current technology.

[Sacsayhuaman isn't the only place that exhibits this kind of precision radial geometry]

the stone age lasted for a minute or two. they were pretty good at masonry by the end of it, but new technology replaces the old, with the discovery and improvement of metallurgy, and innovations like cement and concrete, ancient skills have been forgotten and lost, it doesn't make them smarter than us because they could move some blocks around and put them together properly. the second a geologist moves a rock and robotic sentinels burst from the ground and things start glowing and the site starts vibrating, then I might think "yeah, these guys were really smart... but not smart enough to be not dead."

the stone age lasted for a minute or two. they were pretty good at masonry by the end of it, but new technology replaces the old, with the discovery and improvement of metallurgy, and innovations like cement and concrete, ancient skills have been forgotten and lost, it doesn't make them smarter than us because they could move some blocks around and put them together properly. the second a geologist moves a rock and robotic sentinels burst from the ground and things start glowing and the site starts vibrating, then I might think "yeah, these guys were really smart... but not smart enough to be not dead."
Now consider that "smart" may not have included the ability to steer the planet out of danger...

The victor writes his-story...

Consider that "Fake News" (propaganda) is not a "new" phenomena. There's nothing new under the Sun and considering how difficult and time consuming it still is today to write a comprehensive account of something that was actually observed, do you really think *scribes would have wasted time on a lie?

The lower limit of human population on this planet is stretching back further and further into the past as more and more archaeological discoveries are being made, in some really obscure places. It appears we've been here significantly longer than ~7000 years but most of the evidence has corroded away.

So which is correct? His-story, her-story and do either in any way resemble the truth?

[*Scribes are subject to the golden rule ofc - They who have the gold make the rules]
[Search: "Richat Structure" in west Africa more closely matches Atlantis dimensions]
11897733534_d85e7356b2_b.jpg
PS_Messages_20190829_214121.jpg

Looks eeriely familiar

Top Bottom