LOL. Yes. Although where my mind was going, is that (if I remember rightly) if you hand in exploration data, your reputation increases with the controlling fraction. So another question might be.....has anybody become allied with the DW, solely by handing in exploration data? If not, I can try this when (if) I ever get back to the bubble.

Oh yeah, I totally did that, years ago :D

just stumbled across this...

Update 2.3 patch notes....

Audio Changes
  • New additions include audio for the FSD supercharge including voice alerts,
  • Added ambient audio details to the starport inner-dock variant,
  • Three New flight controllers types for the Empire, Anarchy, Independent powers,
  • Additional wave scanner improvements
  • ‘Secret stuff. Shhh’.
‘Secret stuff. Shhh’. = Whisperers in witchspace??? or Sirens in The Void??? :)

https://elitedangerous2016.wordpress.com/tag/3-3/

Right....I've been thinking....if I was in charge of recruitment for an elitist group of explorers, and my brief was to "pick only a handful in each generation", what would make me stop and say..."oooh, what about this guy?"

It cant be gaining Elite explorer, because far more than a handful in each generation are elite explorers.

What about if somebody turned up in my station and sold me exploration data from every single galactic region? That might make me stop and think.

Does anybody know of anybody trying this?

Please somebody tell me I'm nuts, otherwise I'm going to be really tempted to try it, and that is something I will seriously regret about a month in! :)
It's an interesting question of who to pick. Yet more significant is why.

The quote is 'the most talented pilots of their generation' iirc, yet talent is hard to quantify. It depends entirely what you want to recruit for. The Dark Wheel has been looking for Raxxla for a long time, over a thousand years. I doubt it's the only thing they've done in that time. As has been mentioned, they have many levels, many organisations under the same banner, which will naturally perform very different functions. They will be constantly doing the same kind of recruitment as any big multi-faceted company, not only looking for people willing to go out into the black in search of Raxxla. They will be looking for people who can bring something unique or valuable to the different organisations.

That ability and willingness to contribute (and be discreet about it) is crucial. You're not going to be the new Supreme Commander or whatever. Like in Premonition, new recruits would start somewhere on the outermost hub and might not even be aware of it. There could be people running missions for a Dark Wheel-owned minor faction without ever realising. They would probably only approach you directly if there's something they need you to do that none of their other members can do.

Maybe the best way to get an invite is just to try and be the best you can be at whatever it is you enjoy doing. Make yourself the go-to person for that. If The Dark Wheel need a task like that done, then maybe they'll get in touch.

Regarding getting there without getting bored:

Do stuff on the way (it appears that you are, which is great) because jumping alone for long distances is soul destroying even for those who love exploration. Scan stuff, take pictures, land on (low g) planets (with your shields up) and drive around shooting rocks. Just break up the monotony every 20 jumps or so, and you'll be fine.

It's the trip home that's always the killer, anyway :)

Good luck and have fun o7
This is a really sound advice, for every explorer. Gotta land, scan stuff, jump around in an SRV or do some loops in a SLF. A couple months ago I went, to the Heart and Soul nebulae, and went further past the formidine rift settlements, and into the edge of that part of the galaxy. It is time consuming, and I felt like a zombie just jumping and scanning, rinse and repeat and refuel. On my way back, i did as quoted above. I visited the Crab Nebula, but didn't go exhaustively mapping that place, just a quick photo and off we go. So I wish you guys good luck there.

On the other hand I am now heading to Colonia, and I just passed through the Eagle Nebula, didn't scan more than a couple of systems but... there are a bunch of lined up stars there, an aglomerate of F type stars that are all lined up in a funny way. Anyone looked at it? I know that this is old stuff but something tells me that place, those stars seem like they want to tell something but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe it was just my eyes, I counted them, (tried some crazy hexa codes and vigeneres and what not but 0)rotated them on the galaxy map but, nothing came out of it lol.

After some time in Colonia building reps and engineering some stuff, I'm off to beagle point, and God help me on the way back, lord have mercy, it is going to be loooooong and yawwwwwwning. (I'm already starting to taste the tears of regret and sorrow 😅 )

Last edited:
On the other hand I am now heading to Colonia, and I just passed through the Eagle Nebula, didn't scan more than a couple of systems but... there are a bunch of lined up stars there, an aglomerate of F type stars that are all lined up in a funny way. Anyone looked at it? I know that this is old stuff but something tells me that place, those stars seem like they want to tell something but I couldn't figure it out. Maybe it was just my eyes, I counted them, (tried some crazy hexa codes and vigeneres and what not but 0)rotated them on the galaxy map but, nothing came out of it lol.

Star sausages are a thing, all over the galaxy.
It's an artifact of the catalogs used to populate the Stellar Forge with real-world stars, where clusters have been mapped (usually 2MASS surveys). They should be 'spherical' but the came out as lines, all pointing away from Sol.

Star sausages are a thing, all over the galaxy.
It's an artifact of the catalogs used to populate the Stellar Forge with real-world stars, where clusters have been mapped (usually 2MASS surveys). They should be 'spherical' but the came out as lines, all pointing away from Sol.
Maybe this is how the Dark Wheel found Raxxla in the early years.

Bear in mind that 'galactic regions' were only introduced in v3.3 - so they're unlikely to be part of any process to 'unlock' Raxxla.
I'd also be cautious of trying to use the Dark Wheel faction in Shin to do anything significant, since they're not confirmed to be the actual Dark Wheel.

“Shinrarta is merely a front.’
‘So …?’
‘You should not consider the Dark Wheel a single organisation, gentlemen. How could it survive for so long if it were? The Wheel has many levels, many hubs, cogs, gears and spokes”
“It is more akin to an affiliation of organisations that share certain common goals. Interlocking in purpose. Consider yourselves now spinning on the outermost rim.”

Excerpt From
Elite Dangerous: Premonition
Drew Wagar
This material may be protected by copyright.

I was just there, did a complete survey, came up empty. I wholeheartedly encourage you to go do your own research in Crab, and also to read this thread:

Just did the Bubble Nebula also, I've seen it referenced here in the last day or so. I'm happy to answer questions, though I didn't find much.

Q
That was me en route to bubble. Noticed an amazing nebula, ngc something I think. Have to check it out on the way back. Looked like a UFO. still only halfway there

That was me en route to bubble. Noticed an amazing nebula, ngc something I think. Have to check it out on the way back. Looked like a UFO. still only halfway there

Yep, I saw that on the way back, but had already gone so far and was so desperate to get some ship upgrades that I bypassed it. You're right, it's striking. I'll probably head over there soon now that the ol' Krait is doing 50Ly jumps.

The other possibility is Eta Carinae. Unless something else shiny comes along.

Q

Joining the hunt. Started at the beginning of this thread 4 weeks ago and got to page 300. Decided to skip the rest and find out we are none the wiser haha.
Anyway, I’m elite in trade, almost in exploration but only expert in combat so I decided to grind that just in case. Damn what slow, hard work that is.
I’m a firm believer FDev don’t want isn’t to just stumble upon Raxxla at the expense of everyone else earning the right to grind for it, and the Codex confirmed my belief.
I’m sure TDW don’t know the whereabouts but they know Ryder found evidence of it. I believe they will put the right people on the right path to the evidence when certain conditions are met. Will chip in when I have something to offer.
Fly safe commanders

Top Bottom