This game is freaking amazing!

I suggest that you do a bit of forum searching on Old Duck and his quest to address EBL.
Despite the majority of PS4 players not having performance or graphical issues, Old Duck did and was able to capture video evidence of the issues he had.

I am glad that he now has an acceptable experience.

With regards to Console vs PC.
One or two base console builds at a lower cost vs a whole raft of different builds and configurations at wildly differing costs.

I would assume that the some of the consoles (XBox one, XBox one S, XBox Pro, Base PS4, PS4 Slim, PS4 Pro) will be better than some PCs and some of the more expensive PCs will be better (Graphically and Performance-wise) will be better than the Consoles.
Same as it ever was, same as it will ever be.
You get what you pay for.

My ED journey started on a HP laptop with a built in Intel Graphics chipset. Then came horizons, and ED became unplayable, so I bought a new gaming PC, with a GTX980Ti GPU. I then also bought a standard PS4 (for Gran Turismo you see), and ED when it was released. I still play ED on the PS4 during the week because it is more accessible than the PC. Obviously there is a downturn in graphics and framerate, but it doesn't bother me in the way that it does Old Duck.

Then I wanted some portability, so a gaming laptop followed with a GTX1050Ti GPU, along with another ED account.

I suggest that you do a bit of forum searching on Old Duck and his quest to address EBL.
Despite the majority of PS4 players not having performance or graphical issues, Old Duck did and was able to capture video evidence of the issues he had.

I am glad that he now has an acceptable experience.
ehm...
why-so-serious-T-shirt-template-45036.jpg

(i'm perfectly aware of Duck's butt leather history)
(I mean Duck's elephant butt leather history)

(I mean I know what his problem was)

Last edited:
It's the Acer Predator: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07QXLFLXT/

I got it for under $1000 USD on sale. So far I'm very pleased with it. It can run ED at over 100 fps with Ultra settings, but I lock it in at 60 fps to conserve power and eliminate the occasional stutter that I was noticing with uncapped framerate. You could connect it to a 4K display via HDMI or DisplayPort if you wanted (I don't own such a display).

Pff, last week i just got me an Asus G731GU with pretty much the same specs. Not for Elite tho.
Still, i'm quite tempted to get ED on PC as well, just to check how that gtx1660ti fares in ED on 4k tv set that i use to play on XB1s

Actually, if @Old Duck is revelling in "something about ultra graphics at a rock-solid 60 fps" then he might actually find VR a step backwards. I'm one of the (apparently rare) ED players who has VR (Oculus CV1), adores it, but ... HAS "gone back". I play Elite almost exclusively on 2D now for those super-clean, super hi-res "rock-solid 60fps" graphics (plus comfort, and screenshots and video and being able to type and refer to 3rd party websites and all that), reserving the Oculus for things like Robo Recall, Beat Saber, Vader Immortal and Lone Echo.
I'm on a Pimax 5k+ which is very nice in ED.

I might jump the other way if the Xbox Scarlett offers PC ultra setting at >60fps.
The hardest part of the decision to jump from console to PC was the soon release of the new consoles. However, I think I made the right choice for me. I find that I'm playing less and less games as I get older (I'm not gaming less, but rather I'm investing more time in fewer games), and the only exclusive title that has me excited is Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, which is never coming to PS5.

This does mean buying a few games for a second time - ED, Subnautica, NMS, and someday RDR2, but if I am patient and get these on sale (as I did ED), then it'll probably cost me less than a year's PS+ subscription. It'll be nice not having to pay Sony for the "privilege" to enjoy multiplayer games.

On PC.

Yesterday I took my SRV and drove around a simple planetary outpost. I turned off the HUD, used "cruise control" to set my speed to approximately 40 mph, and then I just calmly drove around using headlook to take in all the sights. The detail, the sense of scale, the hubbub of ships docking and leaving, the beautiful mountains in the distance - it was all very stunning to this ex-PS4 player. There's something about ultra graphics at a rock-solid 60 fps that adds a whole new sense of scale and "being there" to the game, and this on a 2D monitor! I never realized just how HUGE those "skyscrapers" are!

And the shadows - my oh my how nice it is to have good shadows again! It adds a whole new layer of realism to the visual experience!

Anyway, I'm just really impressed with how good Elite looks on PC compared to PS4. As someone who likes to "look at things", it's rejuvenated my passion for the game.

when the new consoles come out maybe that will close the gap.

Much better than the XB1, too. Load times, menus, everything's snappier, and the graphics are more crisp.

Still use my Elite controller (Xbox Elite, not Elite Dangerous Elite) to fly my ship though. I took one look at the keyboard controls and thought "Well, I'd rather just fly today, instead".

Still tweaking the settings so I can target juuuuuust right.

On PC.

Yesterday I took my SRV and drove around a simple planetary outpost. I turned off the HUD, used "cruise control" to set my speed to approximately 40 mph, and then I just calmly drove around using headlook to take in all the sights. The detail, the sense of scale, the hubbub of ships docking and leaving, the beautiful mountains in the distance - it was all very stunning to this ex-PS4 player. There's something about ultra graphics at a rock-solid 60 fps that adds a whole new sense of scale and "being there" to the game, and this on a 2D monitor! I never realized just how HUGE those "skyscrapers" are!

And the shadows - my oh my how nice it is to have good shadows again! It adds a whole new layer of realism to the visual experience!

Anyway, I'm just really impressed with how good Elite looks on PC compared to PS4. As someone who likes to "look at things", it's rejuvenated my passion for the game.

so u have to start from scratch or can you transfer

try vr and get a trustmaster

so u have to start from scratch or can you transfer

try vr and get a trustmaster
You can transfer, but only credits. I had my billions but no engineers or ranks in anything, which is a strange place to be in.

I was reading reviews on the Thrustmaster and some of them were... discouraging. Plus, once I have a flight stick sitting in my living room, that's it. It's officially a nerd palace.

Makes a dude think about making the switch to pc.

I'm on Xbox One X and you're right, it made me think about it for a moment.
But then I look at the comfort of my 4k Oled tv and my recliner and went, naaaaah.
I'm definitely gonna buy the Xbox Scarlett when it releases, only a couple hundred euros and no hassling with drivers etc.
I used to be a pc gamer but I'm 53 years old now and just enjoy the ease and simplicity of a console.
Never had any elephant butt leather either.

@Old Duck, I'm glad for you to be able to enjoy ED once again, you obviously made the right choice for yourself, it looks like a very nice laptop and I have to admit that it is a bit tempting, being able to use a proper Hotas etc.

On PC.

You finally fixed the elephant butt leather problem... This was the right choice. Repent from using a computer in a box and don't look back to the land of "Default". Welcome to having a choice. Welcome to a world of input choices and keybinds. Welcome to graphics options and good shadows. Welcome to mouse-look and written language.
Have a blast and blaze your trail. You are finally free, Commander.

I'm on Xbox One X and you're right, it made me think about it for a moment.
But then I look at the comfort of my 4k Oled tv and my recliner and went, naaaaah.
I'm definitely gonna buy the Xbox Scarlett when it releases, only a couple hundred euros and no hassling with drivers etc.
I used to be a pc gamer but I'm 53 years old now and just enjoy the ease and simplicity of a console.
Never had any elephant butt leather either.

@Old Duck, I'm glad for you to be able to enjoy ED once again, you obviously made the right choice for yourself, it looks like a very nice laptop and I have to admit that it is a bit tempting, being able to use a proper Hotas etc.
You know you could plug your PC into that 4K screen Right?

Top Bottom