Newcomer / Intro What are you up to?

View attachment 220881

News to me but I only just discovered that those rare mats like Selenium, Tellurium and Zirconium etc can be found well (well, found as in easily and reasonably abundant, I know the crashed anaconda and some sites have them in cargo racks) inside the bubble and in a system with a L landing pad as well.

I went to bed after 1 run, and thought the geological sites would reset after 2 hours. Its been 10 hours when I relogged and the site was EMPTY. Only the low end picous cobbles which I didnt bother to mine were still there, all the needles, needle fragments and needle crystals were still sold out. I know I can hop to any of the 20 other sites on the planet but was curious if anyone knows how long it takes for these geological sites to refresh?
I am not sure but I think it is in the order of a week, however the other geological sites on the planet will have pretty much the same materials so just go to the next one in numerical order, that way you won’t make repeat visits to the depleted sites.

I am not sure but I think it is in the order of a week, however the other geological sites on the planet will have pretty much the same materials so just go to the next one in numerical order, that way you won’t make repeat visits to the depleted sites.
1 week! grumble*grumble.

OK, guess its site hopping then. Overall, still happy that I dont need to do the 30 jumps to that crystalline forest system for topping up.

On the plus side, my one experience was the bins were full from 2 site visits per planet... tho my brain was numb by the time I got to the last planet on the loop, so had to leave and go shoot something before the last bin was topped up.

On the plus side, my one experience was the bins were full from 2 site visits per planet... tho my brain was numb by the time I got to the last planet on the loop, so had to leave and go shoot something before the last bin was topped up.
You mean that crystal forest site outside the bubble? IIRC one site per planet was enough to get from 0 to 150 in the bin with more to spare. Surprised if you needed 2 sites.

But it was so numbing and nauseous (SRV sickness) that I just stopped one material short (excluding selenium) and decided to go back to the bubble and trade for it (and selenium).

Currently, I'm trying to unlock Liz Ryder. I bought a Type-9 to haul stuff.
Got to say, I hate this ship. I've seen more a agile snails. It can carry an incredible amount of cargo but palentary landings are just too stressful.
I'm thinking of swapping it for a Python. But this ship has to go once I've unlocked Liz.

Currently, I'm trying to unlock Liz Ryder. I bought a Type-9 to haul stuff.
Got to say, I hate this ship. I've seen more a agile snails. It can carry an incredible amount of cargo but palentary landings are just too stressful.
I'm thinking of swapping it for a Python. But this ship has to go once I've unlocked Liz.

Why are you using a T-9? You can easily haul 200 landmines in a Python.

I'm leaving my opinions everywhere on the forum in threads that might be of interest to Frontier in how they shape the Alpha into the final version of Odyssey. I figure I have this very narrow window to have my voice seen and heard by those who make the decisions, so I'm going to take advantage of it while I can.

Don't worry, I'll be out of your hair soon enough! :p

I'm leaving my opinions everywhere on the forum in threads that might be of interest to Frontier in how they shape the Alpha into the final version of Odyssey. I figure I have this very narrow window to have my voice seen and heard by those who make the decisions, so I'm going to take advantage of it while I can.

You're always welcome, dude.

Good luck with that.

Good luck with that.
This is the most exciting the forum has been in a long time. I promise that once it reverts back to the old "Blocking is bad" threads, I'll bow out. I've lost my taste for endless debates regarding how people choose to play the game. Input and debates that actually influence the direction the game is going, on the other hand...

ps - you'll notice that I've only mentioned Space Engineers once since returning, and that was as a reference to gameplay that would work well in Odyssey (ship repair using hand tools). See, I CAN change!

finally got to one of the known bio sites in Honges. trying out the genetic sampler...
Edody-plantlife.jpg
yep...yepp...nope...nopee... nah ...nah............my head hurts(n):unsure::whistle::coffee:🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🥃...awe not good.

edit: but this guy has a relaxed how to vid...sampler how to vid...

edit: At a random spot in daylight, five bio types scanned over a 2km area. Better actions with the scanner this time? must have learned something after all. 👍
A good tip, get some height with your jet pack boost to spot distant places over the next hill. Particularly good for the low beige bacteria sample areas.
Edody-plantlife3.jpgEdody-plantlife2.jpg

Last edited:
I've managed to fit the Python out with a decent-ish set up. I went for 6A Power Plant rather than a 7. Weighs less and if I need more power, I can engineer it. Jump range around 28ly, which is good enough at the moment.
I was unlocking Liz with my 200 landmines, just about to enter orbital cruise when I was interdicted and ended up 12ls away from the moon. Second attempt I landed without incident.
Currently, I'm trying to unlock Hera but I can't seem to find any Empire Ranking missions. I'm loath to be in their gang tbh. Never liked the Empire.
I've been using EDDB for trading and I've probably lost a couple of million with it's ridiculously innaccurate data. Is it always like this?

Currently, I'm trying to unlock Hera but I can't seem to find any Empire Ranking missions. I'm loath to be in their gang tbh. Never liked the Empire.
But sir! The Empire has the very best quality stations and the most well-spoken controllers!

I've been using EDDB for trading and I've probably lost a couple of million with it's ridiculously innaccurate data. Is it always like this?
No, not always. It does depend on people submitting trade data to it though (via a variety of third party programs), so if not many people have visited the systems in question and they haven’t been adding the trade data, the prices can get inaccurate. There is a “prices last updated” field on the listings for a system, so you can get an idea of how current they are from that. Persephone, for example, last had a price update 7 days ago. Which suggests that the current controlling faction either aren’t paying attention, or they are being highly covert. :)

It is important to check the "last updated" date and time on all prices. And to understand that you're looking a user-submitted data. If no one submits it, it isn't in there.

EDDB is a useful tool for trading, definitely, but there are some limitations :)

But sir! The Empire has the very best quality stations and the most well-spoken controllers!
I remember making my home at one station because the controller had a lovely Preston accent. I didn't realise she was moonlighting at various other outposts too.

No, not always. It does depend on people submitting trade data to it though (via a variety of third party programs), so if not many people have visited the systems in question and they haven’t been adding the trade data, the prices can get inaccurate. There is a “prices last updated” field on the listings for a system, so you can get an idea of how current they are from that. Persephone, for example, last had a price update 7 days ago. Which suggests that the current controlling faction either aren’t paying attention, or they are being highly covert. :)
It is important to check the "last updated" date and time on all prices. And to understand that you're looking a user-submitted data. If no one submits it, it isn't in there.

EDDB is a useful tool for trading, definitely, but there are some limitations :)

OK, thanks Cmdrs for making me feel guilty about the data I've been getting from EDDB, lol. Maybe I should consider giving as well as taking.

doing the BH CG in the recently commisioned Mamba and its a great little ship, very little fazes it and there's no worry with reloads which is nice

not as effective as my MC/beam FDL but that has a limited time of destruction before having to synth some ammo or calling it and heading back

the real star of the show though was through my alt account thats still in the (a rated) sidey with 2 pulse lasers, having to work for your creds and picking fights, following the local authorities and fininshing off the big boys to get those big rewards, so much more fun than dominating a haz res and he's in the top 75% at the mo looking at a huge payout

I wrote up my assessment of Exobiology for the Feedback thread. Thumbs down from me :)

Meanwhile, I've been having fun with the T-10. It's already earned back the 700 million I spent on it, so it's earned its place in my fleet. Massacre missions have turned out to be highly lucrative :)

And now it's Monday which for me is "Chores Day". Must get groceries. Must wash clothes. Must take out trash. :p

I wrote up my assessment of Exobiology for the Feedback thread. Thumbs down from me :)

Meanwhile, I've been having fun with the T-10. It's already earned back the 700 million I spent on it, so it's earned its place in my fleet. Massacre missions have turned out to be highly lucrative :)

And now it's Monday which for me is "Chores Day". Must get groceries. Must wash clothes. Must take out trash. :p
Just read that and totally agree. Not sure what you think of the actual scanning mini-game doodad but I, for one, really hate it :(

I'm currently doing asassination missions in Snotricopa (luvvly name) to get allied with all the factions. Just for fun and a bit of combat rank. I may pop back to Odyssey at some point but I have little enthusiasm as I was looking forward to the exo stuff but it has lost its appeal now.

Top Bottom