Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Get you and a qualified yes. But still not convinced enough to hate the FSS in it's current and as happens first form. If you want to select a target without going through the whole thing, select a specific planet frequency, ignoring all the rest and you're there. Different graphical yes but same thing.

That only works if you're mainly interested in body type.

That only works if you're mainly interested in body type.

Then be specifc in why you would choose one target - in your suggested upgrade - over another?

You already know whether there are geological/biological sites from the FSS.
Mapping performs no purpose on non-landable bodies, or on bodies which have no geological/biological sites - it doesn't provide any actual information, just a tag and some extra credits.

Again I think it depends on why you prefer flying up to because if it's the headspace of "I actually want to see the planet I diiscovered up close' those are two reasons to go there. They don't have to fit your headspace to be valid as reasons to go, they're just game provided reasons to go.

Again I think it depends on why you prefer flying up to because if it's the headspace of "I actually want to see the planet I diiscovered up close' those are two reasons to go there. They don't have to fit your headspace to be 'valid' reasons to go, they're just game provided reasons to go.

Oh sure, it's totally about how I personally have fun. The FSS gets in the way of my fun, by not allowing me to separate locating a body from resolving it's characteristics, leaving me with only mapping as a reason to visit a body - and since I don't feel that mapping actually performs any significant purpose, and requires no skill whatsoever, it's just a time-sink to me. For this reason, I don't think that the fact that the FSS is quicker to be a point in it's favor - which was the comment I responded to which started this discussion.

Oh sure, it's totally about how I personally have fun. The FSS gets in the way of my fun, by not allowing me to separate locating a body from resolving it's characteristics, leaving me with only mapping as a reason to visit a body - and since I don't feel that mapping actually performs any significant purpose, and requires no skill whatsoever, it's just a time-sink to me. For this reason, I don't think that the fact that the FSS is quicker to be a point in it's favor - which was the comment I responded to which started this discussion.

Respectfully though, I think you're assuming - even if all explorers do it the same way - the FSS/DSS are only for explorers. The DSS does serve a specific purpose if you're into volcanics for example and I also think it's a bit much to say there's no skillage in it at all. Potoato worlds might be simple to probe but ringed gas giants do take some doing, especially if you test yourself to do them quickly.

I do take your point about data appearance but to migrate that across I think classification of planets is a bit of an unknown quantity presently, mostly because atmospheric planets are a totally unknown quantity still. Classifying planets includes atmospheres and for me is most likely why the data comes in the honk by default, because we have to assume when models for atmos come in, things like storm systems would come under the (detailed) probe view. At the moment it obviously doesn't but the data is for now still held in the (programming) 'safe space' of the ADS, that's likely where the database always was held.

If I visit a system containing only stellar bodies and use the FSS. What exactly do I have left to explore?
Not much, but it was not much different to the old system. The only thing the old system do was give a tag saying I WOZ ERE when you got close enough and even then you didn't need to be able to see it properly, it could just be a dot in the distance. Great exploring there. Most of the time you don't even need to move from your position to scan seller bodies.

Not what I would call exploring, but each to their own.

Not much, but it was not much different to the old system. The only thing the old system do was give a tag saying I WOZ ERE when you got close enough and even then you didn't need to be able to see it properly, it could just be a dot in the distance. Great exploring there. Most of the time you don't even need to move from your position to scan seller bodies.

Not what I would call exploring, but each to their own.

So NOT exactly like the ADS then. Glad you finally admitted that.

Respectfully though, I think you're assuming - even if all explorers do it the same way - the FSS/DSS are only for explorers. The DSS does serve a specific purpose if you're into volcanics for example and I also think it's a bit much to say there's no skillage in it at all. Potoato worlds might be simple to probe but ringed gas giants do take some doing, especially if you test yourself to do them quickly.

I do take your point about data appearance but to migrate that across I think classification of planets is a bit of an unknown quantity presently, mostly because atmospheric planets are a totally unknown quantity still. Classifying planets includes atmospheres and for me is most likely why the data comes in the honk by default, because we have to assume when models for atmos come in, things like storm systems would come under the (detailed) probe view. At the moment it obviously doesn't but the data is for now still held in the (programming) 'safe space' of the ADS, that's likely where the database always was held.

I'm very much only talking about my personal opinions of the FSS and DSS. I know people use them in different ways and for different things, and get enjoyment out of them. This is why I've been calling for more CHOICES in exploration equipment, so that exploration becomes enjoyable for a wider range of exploration gameplay styles.

The DSS functionality is fine, and will hopefully be better when/if atmospheric planets become a thing. The gameplay however needs a lot of work.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom