How Open-only would balance ED

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
For the game to be fair, the same rules have to apply to everyone.
The same rules do apply to everyone - it's each player's choice whether or not to play among other players that may affect their game experience.

Remembering that interacting directly with other players is entirely optional.

Some may choose to play among other players - and that choice may affect the speed or ease with which they accomplish something in-game - it remains their choice and their choice alone.

If you are under the impression that Solo is a single player mode, you are grossly mistaken.

You have at least the same agency (arguably more) over the setting we all share in Solo as in any other mode. If you get to play by your own personal set of rules, and they happen to make things easier or faster for you, you get a leg up on everyone else.

The game is fair, because the rules certainly do apply to everyone. You're mistaking a preference to only play in open for a restriction the game places on you. If you can find any benefit to using a mode other than open, you are cordially invited to do so. Nothing is stopping you.

E|D offers equal access to all of the modes to all of it's players, at all times. That is pure fairness and balance all wrapped up in one. A personal preference for one mode or another doesn't make it necessary for others to follow suit.

Even theoretical questions about how open only would improve aspects of the game fail to take into account, as someone has already mentioned, what you're at first proposing is that console players pay a subscription fee. This is why I think most, if not all of these suggestions, come from PC players.

If you are under the impression that Solo is a single player mode, you are grossly mistaken.

You have at least the same agency (arguably more) over the setting we all share in Solo as in any other mode. If you get to play by your own personal set of rules, and they happen to make things easier or faster for you, you get a leg up on everyone else.

The same rules do apply to everyone - you can play in solo or a group too ;)

Forgive me if I am wrong, but is there a pervasive whiff of Open is proper, and Solo is to game the system? Isn't that completely against the original intentions?

Fair dos, two saves, locked into the modes permanently.

• If this game wouldn't offer a solo mode I wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
  • At the moment I am at a location with poor connection, therefore it is probably better for everybody else not to be in the same instance as I am.
  • I enjoy open when I feel ready for it and at my own terms, not on the terms of some self-imposed small town dictator.
  • FDev implemented faster than light travel, which like imaginary time machines breaks the causality principle and will lead to a breakdown if not mananaged with some hidden buroeaucracy. Without faster than light travel the discucssion about queueing up would not arise at all.

If the game was Open-only, these lines would force players to spread out...

When you finally get your Carrier, you will find that crowding is now a problem regardless of mode/platform, as only a limited number of Carriers are permitted in each system, and popular goldrush systems quickly fill up. You will usually have to park in a nearby system.

Fun fact: the first Mobius PG was created some time before the game launched.
But let's say everybody was in Mobius instead of Open, my "crowded stations would force players to diversify their trade routes" theory would still hold true. You all seem to be missing my main point and reverting to your old PvE vs PvP arguments.

When you finally get your Carrier, you will find that crowding is now a problem regardless of mode/platform, as only a limited number of Carriers are permitted in each system, and popular goldrush systems quickly fill up. You will usually have to park in a nearby system.
Speaking of carriers, they actually help negate the crowded station issue. If there is a line a mile long at a crowded station, a nearby carrier could offer a fair but lower price for those who don't want to wait in this line. I actually sold a load of Tritium to a carrier based on convenience vs cost, and I found it a win-win, in that my life was made a little easier and I know that my contributions helped fuel a real human's carrier for that real human's upcoming adventures. Cool!

But let's say everybody was in Mobius instead of Open, my "crowded stations would force players to diversify their trade routes" theory would still hold true. You all seem to be missing my main point and reverting to your old PvE vs PvP arguments.

Or...?

Just what was the thread title again, before the disclaimer came in?

I dropped into a nearby system last night to sell some LTDs and the system was choked with fleet carriers. My first though was it looked like a bunch of cockroaches looking for scraps. ;)

Could this be one of those crowded systems you speak of? I was in Mobius so I had no problems getting into the station to sell my wares though.

I dropped into a nearby system last night to sell some LTDs and the system was choked with fleet carriers. My first though was it looked like a bunch of cockroaches looking for scraps. ;)

Could this be one of those crowded systems you speak of? I was in Mobius so I had no problems getting into the station to sell my wares though.
Maybe. If everyone was in either Mobius xor Open, then getting into the station (especially in a T9) would be more challenging, but then this is where carriers can help. It reminds me of street vendors who set up outside a busy restaurant IRL.

Don't talk utter twaddle.

Never do.

How am I necessarily getting a 'leg up' on other people because I have to be stuck behind come-from-nowhere npcs in an empty, tiny station?!?

Everyone has to deal with NPCs. If you didn't then your CMDR would be able to accomplish whatever their goals were faster than those who did and the effects of this on the underlying setting would be apparent, to some degree.

The fact that you find NPCs to be an annoyance at times demonstrates that they are a gameplay constraint of some relevance.

And in a universe with unlimited LTD, engineering, credits, ships, no limits on number who can be Elite... WHAT LEG-UP could you be talking about???

Everyone has the opportunity to engage in these activities.

No one has the ability to categorically remove NPCs from their experience because if they did, then everyone would, except when they were convenient. To do otherwise would be to play by a worse set of rules than the competition (and even in Solo there are a myriad of implicitly and explicitly competitive mechanisms).

Maybe it's just me today, but I really don't get where you are coming from.at all. I bet when you play, you don't think "oh, I'd better be fair to Tiger". Neither should you. Play the game your way, and have fun. o7

I strive to play by the rules of the game as I suspect they were intended, and when it doubt, I err on the side of plausibility...both for my own benefit, and because my sense of fair play demands it.

I can't have fun in a game if I think I'm willingly playing by a better set of rules than others.

The same rules do apply to everyone - you can play in solo or a group too ;)

I know.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Not everybody can be - as there's a member limit of 20,000 on PC PGs (1,000 on console PGs, I think).

Then there's instancing - and blocking: some players can't instance together simply due to consumer broadband - and we don't need to instance with those we've blocked.

Not everybody can be - as there's a member limit of 20,000 on PC PGs (1,000 on console PGs, I think).

Then there's instancing - and blocking: some players can't instance together simply due to consumer broadband - and we don't need to instance with those we've blocked.
You're straining the gnat and swallowing the camel.... 🤦

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like having to sit around and wait on other players just to get into a station. Fortunately, there were only a few open squares last night. I did stop for a few minutes to talk to a player though. He wanted to ask questions about my mining Corvette. It was all good.

Top Bottom