Yes this is quality mode. I'm uploading another that looks much worse, in a ring.

Holy crap. Had I spent the $$$ to upgrade to a Pro, only to have shadows ruined on that machine in quality mode as well..... Thank the good Lord above that I resisted the temptation!

I hope Stormy has these terrible shadows so I can laugh at him [haha]

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Oddly my shadows seem ok in rings on the asteroids, the fog and lighting looks good.

What I don't like is the new washed out station interiors.

Last edited:
The trouble with tone mapping, like they've implemented, is that you're crunching down the dynamic range of the image. If you overdo it you lose contrast quite dramatically, albeit while increasing the amount of visual information retained (see: every badly overprocessed "high dynamic range" photo).

Oddly my shadows seem ok in rings on the asteroids, the fog and lighting looks good.

What I don't like is the new washed out station interiors.

See that's odd, because I was just thinking the station interiors look better to me now. It may well be a Pro vs. Slim (quality vs. performance) difference. I don't much care for how planets, rings, and even my cockpit are way oversaturated, however.

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
The trouble with tone mapping, like they've implemented, is that you're crunching down the dynamic range of the image. If you overdo it you lose contrast quite dramatically, albeit while increasing the amount of visual information retained (see: every badly overprocessed "high dynamic range" photo).

That's exactly what the stations look like now. Space and cockpit look fine to me. Hehehe. Although some of the cockpit is overblown. The reds for example 'flight assist' almost becomes a red blob.

Last edited:
Not impressed so far on a pro in quality mode :( colours are way oversaturated and the game looks lower resolution with God awful shimmering the likes of which I've not seen since I've upgraded to a pro/oneX :/

Tried a metallic and ice ring and didn't see any fog or God rays so not really sure what's going on tbh lol

I believe God rays are only available on PC with Ultra settings – not PS4 Pro (Lloyd confirmed this in a previous thread) – fog should be though.

Wha...? How do you have a Braben bobblehead on PS4?

I concur that they went a bit overboard with the coulour saturation. Station interiors are far too bright and seem to be covered in fog. Ship interior and HUD are a tad too crisp.
General performance seems to be better than before though (Quality Mode on Pro), first thing I noticed after undocking was that the game ran noticeably smoother than yesterday.

Last edited:
Mixed bag so far.

Performance in quality mode on PS4Pro is definitely improved.

I've hit up several planetary rings and the shadows looked good. Still encountering the pre-patch issue of the rock textures changing from quality to performance textures when in quality mode. One ring system had a moderate level of fog and looked pretty spooky. I haven't encountered any shadow oddities like in Synoptic's video, but will keep looking.

Color saturation is a bit overboard. So much so that it's starting to give me a headache. I dialed back the gamma one notch and it helped a little bit. After a couple of hours playing, I feel like I've been watching the game through a smudged window.

I did have a crash that was so hard, it powered off the PS4 when the crash report screen came up and caused a system storage scan when I booted it back up.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
It was a special prize for those who went to the Frontier Expo in 2017.

I can't believe I am the only one seeing all this flickering. Am I becoming Old Duck? I tried restoring the PS4 database, illtsee if it helps.

I honestly tried to find it against my better judgement, but went to two asteroid belts with beige roids and all the shadows close and far looked fine.

I do agree with others, the colours are too overblown. Its like fake HDR but without the improved contrast ratio. Station interiors like pzyko says are just foggy over saturated mess inside.

Last edited:
I did think the res looked a bit lower and too much bloom on some colours.

When transitioning from some modes such as new exploration screens, the faux hdr effects left me with an overbright image back in cockpit for couple of seconds.

(running quality mode on a pro on a 4k oled tv)

I'll be amazed if the settings haven't got a bit (more?) bugged, and so expecting a patch will be incoming soon...

Last edited:
Top Bottom