I exploded very amusingly earlier - using boost in a station with my new Cobra - I won't be doing that again in a hurry :)

Benny I need to stop doing that in my sidewinder too... its not clever unless you never crash..

and as im still in my sidewinder.. I aint been good enough at it yet!

:D

For some reason, the Docking Computer seems to spaz out and outright fail to dock more often when I'm in my Lakon Type-6. When I'm in smaller ships like Cobras, Vipers, Eagles etc, Docking Computer works, albeit hilariously scarily.

In the Lakon, sometimes it'll just "stall" right over the pad, never coming down. Sometimes it'll zig zag all over the mailbox slot for minutes, never actually aligning itself to the slot. Even after I'd perfectly lined it up before letting it take over, it'll suddenly veer off and do its zig-zag routine across the entrance till there's like 2 mins left on the clock before I gave up and took over and landed manually.

I got a DC for my Lakon 6 just to see how it worked. It's amusing to watch for a few times but I found it quickly became irritating, so sold it. Music's good though :)

Can you switch it on/off as you require or does it take over docking permanently? It may be more useful as a user selectable thing.

I got a DC for my Lakon 6 just to see how it worked. It's amusing to watch for a few times but I found it quickly became irritating, so sold it. Music's good though :)

Can you switch it on/off as you require or does it take over docking permanently? It may be more useful as a user selectable thing.

Yeah, just go to your right panel, look under MODULES, scroll to Docking Computer, and turn it off.

Or, if you don't wanna do that, you can always keep your speed above 0 so it'll never take over.

Apologies in advance to the thread police if this has been mentioned before :)p), but given that one of the advantages of docking computers seems to involve taking the pain out of squeezing a large object into a small hole, it would be nice if we could request permission to exit, thus kicking in the docking computer to navigate us out of the station.

While we're at it, I'd like to see docking permissions refused during a time window when a large ship is docking.

I'd like to see docking permissions refused during a time window when a large ship is docking.

That would be a good solution to all those crashes when a Sidey and a Lakon try to dock at the same time.

Apologies in advance to the thread police if this has been mentioned before :)p), but given that one of the advantages of docking computers seems to involve taking the pain out of squeezing a large object into a small hole, it would be nice if we could request permission to exit, thus kicking in the docking computer to navigate us out of the station.

While we're at it, I'd like to see docking permissions refused during a time window when a large ship is docking.

Not yet you don't.

That silly flying sideways trick works for things up to the size of the Viper, but the lycon 9 and anacondas smash front and back into the door.

Watch the NPC's as they land and take off, as often as not they will crash the big ships.

Bought the docking computer because I gave up after 2 * 8 minutes trying to land on the pad. The T6 space calf would not dock for some reason :S

Went to another station no problem docking manual at all
Business was also better at that station

On another occasion after 8 minutes doing a waltz outside a station, I cancelled 'George' the docking computer and did it myself (also T6)

So docking computers are not fail safe ...

Bought the docking computer because I gave up after 2 * 8 minutes trying to land on the pad. The T6 space calf would not dock for some reason :S
I had no problems whatsoever with the T6. Used the docking computer multiple times from multiple distances, docked flawlessly every time. Tediously slow every time, but that's another story ;)

I had no problems whatsoever with the T6. Used the docking computer multiple times from multiple distances, docked flawlessly every time. Tediously slow every time, but that's another story ;)

The DC keeps scraping off to the left for me when it hits the pad, and the bigger the ship, the worse the scraping is. The L9 just goes off the pad completely and I occasionally feel the need to intervene. I was Ok to leave it to it's own devices for the L6, but not for the big daddy. Also, the weird angle it goes to when it's entered the station is not confidence-building.

Docking Computers

I have noticed that when using docking computers it can take a long time to actually dock. Also sometimes when you have docked it lands you the wrong way round on the docking pad so that when you select launch and the pad rotates you are facing the back of the station instead of the docking port. Not major issues but a little inconvenient.

There is some work needed on the DC to get it to a level of confidence where I will bolt one onto any ship I fly. I'd rather land manually at the moment.

You would also think that the docking computer is a safe option. Just had a DC destroy my ship in the station by hitting the pad way too hard and there was nothing I could do to stop it!!

Docking computer goes way to slow for my Taste. and for the People clogling up the exit.... 3 words

Type
Boost ..

Have a nice day

There is some work needed on the DC to get it to a level of confidence where I will bolt one onto any ship I fly. I'd rather land manually at the moment.
I'd rather land manually just because it's so much faster. The only time I can see myself wanting a DC in the finished game is if I have a ship that's so big I need to lube it up before slipping it in to the docking bay ;)

I'd rather land manually just because it's so much faster. The only time I can see myself wanting a DC in the finished game is if I have a ship that's so big I need to lube it up before slipping it in to the docking bay ;)

A high res screen grab aborted mine, I had to land it manually then. (it may have also been that I have thrust also assigned to that key)
What I learned from this is it cant be reactivated / turned on inside (get back in front of the station, you are technically to the side)
I didn't attempt disabling the power and turning it back on, but I expect that wouldn't matter.

It might be worth it to just get past the door, and before it aims at the wall.

Last edited:
I don't use the docking computer at all (not feeling the need to) but PLEASE just make their use with Lakon T9s illegal. Those guys are navigational hazards worse than pirates :eek:

Top Bottom