You would also think that the docking computer is a safe option. Just had a DC destroy my ship in the station by hitting the pad way too hard and there was nothing I could do to stop it!!

So it really happens, I was already afraid of that ...:eek:

Docking Request

Could you please add the ability to assign a single key or button for requesting docking. The docking request is sent to the currently selected target when the button or key is pressed if the selected target can be docked with.

This is something you have to do all the time and currently there are too many keystrokes to perform for sending the request. ( get to left menu - get to contacts - highlight and select the docking target - move to the docking request option and select it. Its a pain )

I generally have the station as my target. Then it's:

Hold Shift.
"A"
"E", "E"
*Space"
"S"
"Space"

It takes under a second....

Docking Computer ??

Just bought a docking computer.. is it currently broke. I enabled auto docking and the computer spent like 7 minutes going in circles outside of the space station. I finally I took over control and landed the ship myself. I'm sure this is a known issue.

After a few attempted assassination by my own Standard Docking Computer on my life... i have decided to sell it to the next poor soul out there ...now i can breath easier and sleep with my eyes closed knowing that the Standard Docking Computer won't try to kill me again..or..is it ?

Last edited:
now all other ships with the docking comp fitted will make you crash while docking in punishment for banishing one of them to the deepest darkest corner of the salvage yard.

they shall have revenge!

but seriously - the DC does need a bit of work just to stop it bouncing off other ships while docking, it needs a less nauseating flight pattern as well. i was nearly throwing up just with 3 monitors, with an OR on i'd have needed a bucket or 2

Just bought a docking computer.. is it currently broke. I enabled auto docking and the computer spent like 7 minutes going in circles outside of the space station. I finally I took over control and landed the ship myself. I'm sure this is a known issue.

After a few attempted assassination by my own Standard Docking Computer on my life... i have decided to sell it to the next poor soul out there ...now i can breath easier and sleep with my eyes close knowing that the Standard Docking Computer won't try to kill me again.

more details people! what ship, what type of station? if the problem is specific to a type of vessel and not a general problem that sort of info will help narrow down the problem.

Tried on Type 9 and Anaconda...failed miserably on both on all stations ..it just love bumping into the station ..good thing non of the attempts cost me my ship because i was there and looking how good it does...it fails lol.

Yet, with a name like yours.....you could be 2000AD Magazine fan and most possibly read a lot of Slaine.

If your interested I'm exploring the possibility of starting a ED-Guild/Clan called Knights of the Red-Branch.

All are welcome.

YES... You are probably the ONLY person on the Internet that has said this in all the years I have been using this name (Around 12-13 years now)..

+1 Rep, and I would be interested in the guild/clan once the game goes live and we dont have to live in fear of being reset several times :)

I gave the docking computer a second try now.

My first was with a small ship and online open and it turned out unusable .. it was doing everything else than docking

Now that I bought the larger 100 cargo transporter and moved from online open to online solo I gave it another try. AND.. IT WORKED. :)

It behaved a bit strange but it did it's job and managed to land that thing always safe in about 4 min.

That's about 4 or more times longer than when you manual dock but that's ok.

Coming from a flightsimulator I have to say that the game gives a very good feeling of flying in space so I automatical expected a docking computer similair to the autoland of planes when it comes to movement the smoothness and directness.

The DC kills a bit the smooth flying feeling the Game has but then maybe they can improve it. True it has a larger handicap to master and avoid other trafics which makes it more difficult.

Byway you can switch the DC off if you bought one and dont want to use it.
That's a good thing.

Docking Computer Doesn't Love Me Anymore...

So I was flying a load of cargo into a station earlier today and my docking computer decided it was a good idea to land nose first.. I caught it before it destroyed my ship, but it did do about 20% hull damage. I took this as a one off but the next 5-6 docks I paid very close attention to make sure it was working right, it seemed to be landing just fine. Then I grabbed a load of cargo (worth around 2.5mil) in my Lakon Type 9, headed off to do another trade run. Got to the dock, docking computer took over, I figured okay lets go grab some water. Got a glass of water and was back in 30 seconds... just in time to see the ship spin "out of control" and ram into the station. Apparently my docking computer has it in for me today, and I thought we had a good thing going :(

So I was flying a load of cargo into a station earlier today and my docking computer decided it was a good idea to land nose first.. I caught it before it destroyed my ship, but it did do about 20% hull damage. I took this as a one off but the next 5-6 docks I paid very close attention to make sure it was working right, it seemed to be landing just fine. Then I grabbed a load of cargo (worth around 2.5mil) in my Lakon Type 9, headed off to do another trade run. Got to the dock, docking computer took over, I figured okay lets go grab some water. Got a glass of water and was back in 30 seconds... just in time to see the ship spin "out of control" and ram into the station. Apparently my docking computer has it in for me today, and I thought we had a good thing going :(

sounds like its not compensating for the extra mass of your ship when loaded, the DC does need some work so keep ticking the problems you see with as much info as poss (mass of cargo, ship type, station type, system ETC.)

Yeah I wrote the stuff down from that one, will be sending in the ticket, seems to have more trouble with the type 9 than any other ship I've used so far. Although it's really rough landing all of them.

Hotblack Desiato

H
Blue Danube to docking at a rotating letterbox is pretty much a signature feature of Elite, having been in all versions.

It's a tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3oHmVhviO8

Ah, I've had enough of this. It isn't in all versions, particularly the original one. The original one crammed so much into 16k that there was literally no room for music, if anyone had heard of such a thing in a game at the time. I don't know if it was in any version of Elite, but it was in Frontier, which wasn't Elite, but Elite II (and III). And yes, it was [I am assuming] a tribute to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

But it was not in all versions of Elite.

Not even the real one.

On the BBC Micro Model B.

sorry for rant. I love the new docking computer for the Kubrick reference, not for the lore, which for me is not lore. I did put some hours/days/weeks but not months/years into Frontier, but my heart was always with Elite on the BBC (specifically Master 128), which didn't have such fripperies, as every last byte was frantically Fibonacci-ing galaxies out of nowhere.

Hi, I am using a Sidewinder in online open play, and used the DC on Beagle 2 Landing and Dahan Gateway. It seems to be quite random for auto docking to succeed or not. Sometimes the DC does not manage to dock at all. It moves the ship so that it is pointing away from the station, and starts rolling the ship for several minutes. Sometimes the DC stops rolling, and points the ship towards the station entrance, but sometimes it just keeps it rolling until the docking allowance expires. To be honest, that's not what I expect from a docking computer in the year 3300 :(

I started the docking procedure when the ship did not point towards the station, but in an angle like 90 degrees away. It was usually better when I was looking towards the entrance, but it also happend occasionaly when starting from this position. Distance was approximately at the first ad signs.

I also think that the flight path inside the station is quite strange.. I would prefer to see the landing pad when approaching it, this side movement (at least for me) is a bit awkward :)

That's my experience with the DC, it seems the DC could be improved quite a bit..

Last edited:
Top Bottom