I'll never buy one myself as docking is great fun, but I'm not against them selling them.

The price is too low though, I'd make it 40-50k so you at least have to manually dock a few times before you can buy one. (Like the old days)

So having timetables, how long docking computers need to dock, would clarify things. Also, when does the docking computer begin to work? Outside the station? If so, I bet it takes several times longer than manual docking with a full speed approach.

I'll never buy one myself as docking is great fun, but I'm not against them selling them.

The price is too low though, I'd make it 40-50k so you at least have to manually dock a few times before you can buy one. (Like the old days)

I would say not ;)

At the end of the day, those that want docking computers and are willing to part with a slot and the cash should be able to get them from the outset. In Frontier, the starting ship came with an autopilot (which docked) as default. Yes, it was hand holding but it prevented early player frustrations, and once they became familiar with the controls, I am sure most did it manually.

I bought one to try it. It drives the ship REALLY slowly, manual is much faster.

Another disadvantage is that you won't be able to put in an AFM unit if you have it.

Have to try turning it off to see if it still allow manual docking, if not I'll be selling it.

In Frontier, the starting ship came with an autopilot (which docked) as default. Yes, it was hand holding but it prevented early player frustrations, and once they became familiar with the controls, I am sure most did it manually.

Indeed, there's some logic to say that the starter ship should come with one and that selling it, 1. gives you extra money and 2. frees up a slot. It would give absolute beginners a much gentler curve into the game and provide a reason to get rid of it and use manual docking. Not saying it should happen, just that there's some logic to it. :smilie:

Indeed, there's some logic to say that the starter ship should come with one and that selling it, 1. gives you extra money and 2. frees up a slot. It would give absolute beginners a much gentler curve into the game and provide a reason to get rid of it and use manual docking. Not saying it should happen, just that there's some logic to it. :smilie:

Good point, I agree there's some logic to it.

logic to it..... sure I agree, but over all I actually think it is better to force the player to learn to do this stuff right at the start (with much less to lose if it goes wrong) than in 40 hrs time in a cobra and their docking computer gets damaged in a battle, and they are trying to dock manually for the 1st time with a broken ship (possibly with expiring air)

Out of curiosity, can other players see that a ship is under docking computer control and know that it won't necessarily pre-emptively avoid them?

I've found docking and landing an absolute cinch and a genuine pleasure to perform manually.

I especially take great pride in a soft landing - using that ramp thingy [ for which it seems its only purpose in life is to tilt up or tilt down (I hope it doesn't have sentience - must be one of the most boring jobs in the universe ;) ) ] as a sloping "guide path" so that I can gently "glide" down it and swish delicately onto the pad ;)

Basically I've so far had no need for a docking computer - although I may buy one just to hear the Blue Danube a few times ;)

I should hope not.

Got to say I was disappointed too... Kind of given in to the whingers there a bit... Docking is easy if you practise... How the hell will people practise now if they're given the point and click route? A shame... :(

Remember there are disabled players who will greatly benefit from a bit of automation.

Docking is a skill and a part of the immersion IMHO. It will be such a shame if all you need to do when getting near a spaceport is to press a button to dock and land. It's almost as bad as a cut sequence. I was hoping that docking computers would be such a stupid price to install and also cost a fortune to use that anyone with sense would learn to fly. Only exception being docking assist for the larger ships giving you clearance information going through the slot etc.

It would make no sense for the docking computer to cost a lot - after all, we have autopilots that are more advanced than this now! As it is, it's perhaps half the price of an entry-level ship, which sounds about right to me.

And if you don't like it, well, there's a very simple solution... don't use it!

Out of curiosity, can other players see that a ship is under docking computer control and know that it won't necessarily pre-emptively avoid them?

Don't think so. But it would be nice if there was a flashing beacon or something, kind of like todays airplanes use to signal when starting engines, or for better visibility when taxiing.

Last edited by a moderator:
now that NPC's as well as players can request for docking I have found that on a busy station it can be awkward looking for your one bay, especially if it is right by the door.

Whilst I may not use it all the time it may be useful just to get on the pad.

Although has anybody had it fail yet like the docking computers did when they slammed you into the stations?

Top Bottom